Feb 22, 2019 02:54 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Episode:
10 - 435 (69.6%)
9 - 109 (17.4%)
8 - 46 (7.4%)
7 - 19 (3%)
6 - 2 (0.3%)
5 - 2 (0.3%)
4 - 4 (0.6%)
3 - 1 (0.2%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 7 (1.1%)
Total Voters: 607

Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [207] Zuko Alone  (Read 57595 times)
Exile
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2006 11:32 pm »

Well they had a lot of foreshadowing with the ducks. his mom said "if you mess with a mothers children she will fight back" or something along them lines. So when Azula said Azulon wanted Zuko dead, She had to protect him so she killed him. Thus once again at the end she said "everything I do is to protect you" or something close to that. But Personaly I think Azula Lied to her mother about them wanting to kill Zuko. Here is my theory
http://forums.avatarspirit.net/index.php?topic=256.0

Signature deleted by management for being oversized after several private messages. Max signature size is 400x200. Please review forum rules here.
Zubby
Forum Moderator
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Thanks Maivry!

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2006 11:56 pm »

Best episode of the season so far. Wonderful animation, lots of intriguing backstory, and Zuko becomes an even more interesting charecter.

Those of you thinking that Avatar may have jumped the shark-did this episode change your mind??

Korrasami is canon-you gotta deal with it!
keeper of Appa, keeper of Aang's wanted poster
keeper of Sokka's sarcasm, keeper of Monk Gyatso's statue
Firelord Sunny
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Yip yip!

ladymecha
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2006 12:11 am »

well i am still on shark watch admittedly, I said before i think the next episode is going to be the lynch pin that could either strenthen the show... or cause it to fall apart.
I am going to watch the next few episodes with caution, as even though I liked the blind bandit and zuko alone there are plenty of pinned in sharks to jump over...

Space, the final frontier...
These are the voyages of the flying bison Appa.
His ongoing mission, to explore strange new worlds,
To help Aang seek out new bending masters and escape the firenation.
To boldy go where no flying bison has gone before...

Keeper of Davros' frozen head
Flopsie
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Long Live King Bumi! xD

fangurl13 charmedspell_330
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2006 09:06 am »

i loved the episode.little zuko is so adorable and azula was cute,evil but cute!iroh and zuko are really alike with iroh his brother stole this throne and with zuko...well we all know azula want to rule.i guess the second child in this family is evil.

zukoxmei?well i dunno if i like mei with zuko,she's so blah but it was cute to see someone liking zuko xD

Loyal to the [Crazy] King Of Omashu
Zukofan
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2006 02:13 pm »

*still spazzing out*
OMG I must have watched it at least ten times by now...but at least I'm settled down enough now that I can discuss with some maturity.

Okay...where to begin, where to begin...?

-Little Kiddies- they were all sooooo cute...except Azula: Gawd, she's EVIL! (*singsong voice*: "Dad's going to kill you...*just plain evil voice*: really...he is.")
-Hybrid animals- turtleducks, pigroosers, pigsheep..the randomness of it all! lol Tongue
-Zuko's mom- so pretty, wise, and caring...and the bond they shared...*sheds tear*
-Ozai- HIS FACE! (sort of)
-The bully soldiers- *Me, at the start of the episode*: WTF?!? GET 'EM, ZUKO!!! Awwww, man...*dissapointed*
-The boy- cute little kid.  But I wanted to slap him at the end..."I hate you!" Heck, I wanted to slap them all! *slaps all bystanders*
-HIS FIREBENDING- Waaaayyy cool...my friends and I were watching the fight scene at the end, and we winced every time he got hit with a rock...we were all, "C'mon, Zuko!" ::ouch:: "You can do it!" ::ooooh:: *slams head as he falls to the ground* "Use some firebending, for goodness sake!"Then.. fire swords... haahaaaaaahhh!  We started screaming so loud that Katie's grandparents thought something bad had happened...
And Zuko stands up holding his swords while the fire spirals around him... Shocked *soldier* "Who ARE you?!?!?!?

WOW
Perfect 10.  NO, ELEVEN! (and a half! lol) Grin
« Last Edit: May 14, 2006 02:19 pm by Zukofan » Logged
Egglette
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

underground fan. project secretly-obsess commence.

« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2006 08:42 pm »

Hmmm... Interesting theory with Ursa and Azulon.

Yes, this episode was adorable. While most of you dislike how the villagers treated Zuko, I... I kinda liked it. -hides-

It was really symbolic; how that no matter how someone treats you, it can change all very quickly. I love how the creators use symbolism. For example, Zuko cutting his hair? Amazing. I actually like his new hair more, actually. His old hair was kinda...flamboyant in my opinion.

Zuko hasn't yet accepted completely that he wants to break away from his nation, and he isn't quite a hero yet, but he's getting there: slowly.

I think we'll be seeing Zuko's mom this season, and not in a flashback. The only thing that saddens me is that eventually, this show will -have- to end when Aang defeats the Fire Lord. (Oh come on, we all know it's gonna happen.)

uh. boo.
Ranji
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2006 10:53 pm »

perhaps it won't be aang who will defeat the fire lord.  this ep showed azula loves getting her way more than anything and is heartless, i think ozai better watch his back. 

either way, i think prince zuko will have to fight future fire lord azula for the throne.  it seems the only way for zuko to reclaim the kingdom since 1) he is not powerful enough to caputre the avatar,  2) even if he did, he knows his father would never take him back.

the story is familiar: a banished good prince must fight an evil usurper to reclaim his throne and restore peace to his kingdom.

Zukofan
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2006 11:23 pm »

You mean Fire Lady Azula? (or empress or whatever)
But yeah, when Aang defeats Ozai (possibly with Zuko's help), Zuko will definately have to fight Azula.  I mean; normally it would his birthright, being first born son, to have priority over the second born female...but after being discraced, banished, declared a traitor, and failing to capture the Avatar...he's going to really have to fight for his throne.
Woops, back on topic...
Zuko's transformation into a good guy is well under way.  I noticed when the fire nation theme plays in the background for him, now it almost seems...nicer.  More heroic, less scaryness.  Like before it was like "DUN DUN,DUN DUUUUNNN..." And now...well, if you listen closely, it is definately different.
Ranji
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2006 09:26 am »

yes, of course i meant Fire "Lady."  Smiley  i noticed the change in music for zuko as well.  he seems less of a villian now.  before he was a prince by default, now it seems he must earn his throne.  maybe the path of nobility (his own brand of it) is the best way for him to earn his title.
High Elemental
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Searching for My True Steak

« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2006 07:10 pm »

This had to be one of the darkest and most mature episode of any show in Nickelodeon's history. First we have Zuko, a sympathetic antagonist that is borderline good and evil which is a first for a Nickelodeon show. Second, we have the flashback and the dark subtle theory that Fire Queen Ursa might have killed her father-in-law, Azulon. (Ursa's short monologue about "Mothers protecting thier children", Ursa stating that Azulon is still healthy in his old age, and her disappearing a few hours befores Fire Lord Azulon is discovered dead reinforces this theory.) This episode shows how great this show can become and Aang and company weren't even in it, an American animated show first I believe. But of course we should keep Zuko in moderation seeing that he's not the only character on the show. Overall Score: 9/10
« Last Edit: May 15, 2006 07:12 pm by High Elemental » Logged

Lieselle
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

" 'OH MY GOD, NO WAI!' 'OH MY GOD, YES WAI!' "

Lady+Liesl+99
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2006 07:40 pm »

yes, of course i meant Fire "Lady."  Smiley  i noticed the change in music for zuko as well.  he seems less of a villian now.  before he was a prince by default, now it seems he must earn his throne.  maybe the path of nobility (his own brand of it) is the best way for him to earn his title.

(allow me to slip in my pride and joy) kinda like Aragon in the Lord of the Rings in a way, right? I think Zuko's gotta earn his thrown back too now, but I've got a gut feelign he'll get it back.

Zukofan
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2006 08:18 pm »

He'd better...!

And HOW could someone give this an 8?!?!?
Fuzzy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

fuzzytoesocks@hotmail.com emilythepissed
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2006 08:27 pm »

^ Eehee....please don't kill me....Cheesy

I loved the episode and all, but the ending with him just riding off kind of ticked me off. Also, I'm not a Zuko fangirl, so I didn't give it points for that. xDD

And as I stated before, I loved the episode. One of the best in the entire series.

Also, I don't think I'd give any episode so far a straight 10, except for /maybe/ the first season finale.

I'm a hard rater. xD

Big T
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2006 08:48 pm »

Nothing wrong with that. I did not give the episode a full-fledged ten, myself. "Zuko Alone" is a wonderful episode, do not get me wrong. As with Fuzzy, the conclusion left me...eh, I do not know how to describe it. Zuko's decision to announce who he is, and to be proud of such, is nice. The riding off into the sunset was almost cliche, however. Simply riding off would have worked fine.

It seemed almost like some western.

And, though I like Zuko, I am not a Zuko fan-girl. So no extra points in that regard, either. ^_^

Banner by Chong
Ranji
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2006 09:16 pm »

i think it was important that he rode off into the sunset.  it was as if he was riding into a portal of fire.  more symbolism, perhaps instead of running away from home/confrontation with his past, he will confront it.  the path home will be long, let's see if zuko becomes a hero along the way taking the hard/noble path or will he be tempted to take the easy/wrong path as the blue spirit/fighting Aang & co.
Big T
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2006 09:18 pm »

I still think the sunset was cliche. A sunrise, though, would have been nice. It symbolizes a new beginning, the exact path Zuko is now trodding.

But that is just me. I'm picky, I suppose.

Banner by Chong
Kit
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Artificial Firebender

« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2006 09:54 pm »

I've begun watching Season 2 more religiously than season one, and this episode was fantastic. 

I agree with what someone said earlier about Zuko not being a villain.  He's not.  More of an antagonist to Aang, but certainly not a villain. 

It's good to see another flashback episode that delves further into Zuko's past and gives us a very visual explanation of how such events have made him what he is today.  Poor zuko got the shaft quite often-- Ozai is obviously disappointed with him (the subtle frown on his face when Zuko did his demonstration) and Azula indulges in schadenfreude by bullying him.  But his mother treats him quite differently than everyone else in his family.  The staff did an excellent job giving her her name--Ursa.  The word means "bear" and she is like a bear-- a mother bear who always goes out of her way to protect her cub.  It fits perfectly.   

"Fire is a killer,
but sometimes what's left behind
can grow better than the generation before
if given the chance
."
Firelord Sunny
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Yip yip!

ladymecha
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2006 10:55 am »

i really think that this episode is another homage to the american and Spaghetti Westerns really with the "ride off into the sunset" ending

this episode did take a lot of notes from "a fistful of dollars" as Zuko really looked the part of Clint Eastwood's "Man with no name" characters in the infameous "dollars" trilogy.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2006 11:32 am by Firelord Sunny » Logged

Zukofan
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2006 01:52 pm »

HAHAA! LOL!  My dad watched this episode with us the other night (which was really wierd because he always makes fun of avatar), and at the part where Zuko says "it doesn't matter who I am...", I heard him murmur, "the man with no name..."

But it was so weird that he watched it with us...dispite his constant annoying comments, he actually tried to understand what was going on! (for once)
Dad: "Why is he riding an ostrich?"
Me: "...because.  That's one of the things about this show.  They have weird hybrid animals."
Dad: (refering to soldiers) "Why do they look like monkeys?  All the men with beards look like monkeys!"
Me: "Uuughh...BECAUSE, dad...that is how the animators do it.  It's the style, okay?" *thinks* Now just shut up and deal with it!
(Zuko is working on the barn)
Dad: "Why is he hammering so hard?  You wouldn't hammer that hard!"
Me: *thinks* WTF?!? "Who cares?  That's the way they animated it!" *thinks* You wouldn't even notice unless you were LOOLING for something to make fun of...
Then, he started to seem remotely interested.
Dad: "Wow, that little girl is EVIL!"
Me: "Yeah, I know."
Dad: *Inquires about the nature of the war*
*I explain* Grin
The best part was, at the end, he was all "What?  How could they do that to him?!?  Prejiduced (sp?) b*stards!  YOU DON'T JUDGE PEOPLE ON THEIR BACKGROUNDS, YOU HAVE TO JUDGE THEM ON THEIR PERSONAL MERRIT!
Cheesy
Swamp Dweller
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Toph, you rule.

« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2006 03:16 pm »

A sunrise, though, would have been nice. It symbolizes a new beginning, the exact path Zuko is now trodding.

But wouldn't sunrise also symbolize the Fire Nation, the nation from which Zuko is getting more and more disconnected every new episode he is in?

I think that, if anything, the three seconds of him riding off into the sunset in the end symbolized his dwindling attachment to the Fire Nation.

Are you so busy fighting you cannot see your own ship has set sail? --Ancient Irohnian proverb
Firelord Sunny
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Yip yip!

ladymecha
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2006 03:19 pm »

hmm, interesting standpoint there swamp dweller. Grin

Fuzzy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

fuzzytoesocks@hotmail.com emilythepissed
« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2006 03:54 pm »

Wait, I gave it a nine. -feels like an idiot- I was sure that the 8 was bolded. xDD

Although the sunset probably meant something, I still wish they had ended it on a different note. What note, I don't know, but yeah...a little bit too western-y. xD

Acastus
Expert Advisor
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Victim of the gelatinous cube.

« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2006 04:22 pm »

this episode did take a lot of notes from "a fistful of dollars" as Zuko really looked the part of Clint Eastwood's "Man with no name" characters in the infameous "dollars" trilogy.

The first fanfic I wrote (The Bridge) was entirely inspired by the connection between Avatar and the spaghetti westerns. The music used when Zuko enters the village in "The Warriors of Kyoshi" is based on Ennio Morricone's music from "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly", specifically the final showdown between Clint, Lee Van Cleef and Eli Wallach.

That said, Zuko only superficially resembles Clint's character(s) from the "Dollars Trilogy." Clint was not playing a Prince, banished or otherwise, nor was his character motivated by any quest for honor. As the informal name of the trilogy implies, The Man With No Name's motivation was money. The moral ambiguity of Clint's character always drew me to him, since his motivation is really just as base as his opponent's.

On the other hand, I don't see Zuko as morally ambiguous. Instead, I see a young man struggling with moral decisions. He's made many bad decisions and a few good ones. Unlike Clint's character, who doesn't really change or grow, Zuko is learning about himself and will eventually have to make some hard decisions about what road his future will take. The tension around Zuko's ultimate decisions regarding his future life path are what hold my interest in him.
Firelord Sunny
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Yip yip!

ladymecha
« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2006 04:44 pm »

though in some ways Clints character did have some sort of honor to him, he killed when he had to kill, the fought when he had to fight.
But I do wonder where they are taking Zuko's character, in one point he was in the Robin hood act and the next he is almost Clint Eastwood...
boy what a paralell to what he was in season 1

nice story by the way...

Big T
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2006 05:37 pm »

A sunrise, though, would have been nice. It symbolizes a new beginning, the exact path Zuko is now trodding.

But wouldn't sunrise also symbolize the Fire Nation, the nation from which Zuko is getting more and more disconnected every new episode he is in?

I think that, if anything, the three seconds of him riding off into the sunset in the end symbolized his dwindling attachment to the Fire Nation.

Too true. I only just realized that after I typed it out. I have to say I am with Fuzzy on this one, still. The ending, while symbolic, I just did not like it the way I probably should have. Like I said, I am picky. Other than that, the episode was simply wonderful.

Banner by Chong
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: