Apr 26, 2017 11:32 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TLOK Shipping Thread - Part 4 (keep all buttcapes unknotted)  (Read 80002 times)
shorewall
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Yeah, baby!

« Reply #25 on: Mar 10, 2015 02:04 pm »

I didn't want to bring it up, but I am glad we got back around to sociopath Asami.

source

"The true mind can weather all the lies and illusions without being lost. The true heart can tough the poison of hatred without being harmed. Since beginning-less time, darkness thrives in the void but always yields to purifying light."
The Fan with No Name
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Couldn't think of a cool name

« Reply #26 on: Mar 10, 2015 02:11 pm »

@ Shorewall You're Asami is a sociopath theory now as real legs to stand one who else but a psycho uses a persons death to score with another person

There are two types of fans here those who care about narrative and shippers
djinn
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Fish genetics is a very small field

« Reply #27 on: Mar 10, 2015 03:31 pm »

Oh, Asami. Poor girl. It's not her fault she was under-developed.

Borra the Explorer
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Dead Ships Sailing

« Reply #28 on: Mar 10, 2015 04:01 pm »

@ Shorewall You're Asami is a sociopath theory now as real legs to stand one who else but a psycho uses a persons death to score with another person

Dennis!Asami is always fun, but to claim Asami is a sociopath in-canon is a HUGE stretch. Though since we seem to be doing It's Always Sunny in Republic City at the moment...

(source)

Keeper of Wan's teapot and the Zhu Li (the battleship, not Varrick's wife).

Click here for my tumblr, and here for M'Lil's new hit single!
Goodfella
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

On the Isle of Sanity

« Reply #29 on: Mar 10, 2015 04:52 pm »

More commentary from the dvds/blu-rays, this time about Mako (http://dongbufeng.tumblr.com/post/113279768133/korra-book-4-blu-ray-commentary-highlights):

-Apparently, they ship Mako with the Operator Woman who appears in episode 3 and 11. "[Bryan:]But, I found myself shipping Mako with the operator woman that he’s sitting next to during the evacuation. He’s like totally bombing, but I kinda think she’s like ‘that’s kinda cute.’ He’s like oblivious. He probably went back and he just called the operator.” Mike: “He’s always pretending he needs to be patched through. Man now we’re writing our own fanfiction.”
-Mako does still love and carry a torch for Korra but he's reached a point he admires her more as a person than an ex-girlfriend or a potential love interest and is okay not being in a relationship with her. He's ready to move on despite still loving Korra and he'll be in a better relationship next time.
-Izumi's daughter is still canon, though she got cut.

They also confirm that Kuvira loved BJ and that her decision to sacrifice him wasn't an easy one.

Tokka seems increasingly unlikely. "- Mike says they didn’t want it to be so simple that everyone from the old series hooked up with each other. They met other love interests. Bryan about Toph: “She doesn’t need a guy to complete her storyline.” He didn’t see Toph, Su, or Lin’s storylines as incomplete because we know so little about Lin’s dad."
« Last Edit: Mar 10, 2015 04:54 pm by Goodfella » Logged
Molra
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Stories are everywhere.

« Reply #30 on: Mar 10, 2015 05:05 pm »

^(in relation to their comments on Mako) I really don't like how they mock their own creative work. I know it's fiction and I, too, like to take things lightly, to make fun of them, but not to the point as to like when the creators are disrespectful with the coherence of the narrative of their own story. I refuse to believe they are in such a denial. The more I get to know the Bryan and the Mike, the more disappointed I am with them.

"Some see a hopeless end, while others see an endless hope."
luvavatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #31 on: Mar 10, 2015 05:08 pm »

There is no need to even give Izumi a daughter. So basically she's going to show up in some comics and we're supposed to be happy. Also the age gap is a little big if she is supposed to be around the same age as Team Avatar, since General Iroh is supposedly 40. Not saying it is impossible, but at this point it's like "Come on", if they couldn't put her in the show then don't bother making her for the comics and to give Mako a love interest. I mean what everyone in Team Avatar either ends up with a princess or is one? That's a bit much isn't it?
The Fan with No Name
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Couldn't think of a cool name

« Reply #32 on: Mar 10, 2015 05:12 pm »

It's a good I now ignore their commentaries and head canons and only go with what's on the show bet see I would go crazy if I took their word as canon. it's too bad that I lost all my respect for M and B

Seriously Mako always say Korra as a person first and foremost and he's the first person in the show to do that remember his Line I don't care if you're the Avatar or not I love you.  So yea Mako will be in a better relationship next time with Korra after Asami gets eaten by a spirit.

There are two types of fans here those who care about narrative and shippers
Hand of Vaatu
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #33 on: Mar 10, 2015 05:21 pm »

More commentary from the dvds/blu-rays, this time about Mako (http://dongbufeng.tumblr.com/post/113279768133/korra-book-4-blu-ray-commentary-highlights):

They also confirm that Kuvira loved BJ and that her decision to sacrifice him wasn't an easy one.

HALLELUJAH!!!!

Now for their reunion. BRING ON THE COMICS!!!!

« Last Edit: Mar 10, 2015 05:25 pm by Hand of Vaatu » Logged
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I can't think of anything clever to say.

« Reply #34 on: Mar 10, 2015 05:49 pm »

I thought this was a given. The show got that across just fine in my opinion. There was no need for any creator confirmation (I saw the same thing about Amon in the Book 1 finale to).

^(in relation to their comments on Mako) I really don't like how they mock their own creative work. I know it's fiction and I, too, like to take things lightly, to make fun of them, but not to the point as to like when the creators are disrespectful with the coherence of the narrative of their own story. I refuse to believe they are in such a denial. The more I get to know the Bryan and the Mike, the more disappointed I am with them.

I actually like how they are able to make fun of their own work. It makes them seem more down to earth. And I don't think anything they said about Mako there betrays whatever story they were telling.

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character." (As said by me)
Yong Wing
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm a brand new sky to hang the stars upon tonight

« Reply #35 on: Mar 10, 2015 05:50 pm »

If Asami wanted to "score" with Korra, she has a funny way of showing it by not making the first move. Korra is the one who offered that Spirit World vacation, just the two of them. Wink

Was Korra the first one? I'm pretty sure Asami was the one that made a comment about needing a vacation.

All Korra said was "okay, just the two of us, where do you want to go?"

Asami is the one the first brought it up and then suggested the spirit world.

Even besides that though, you could argue that Asami made the first move since she was the one that interrupted Korra and Tenzin's conversation to talk to Korra (and if we are to believe Bryan, she apparently lied to get Tenzin out of the way).

This is really reaching for suggesting she was utilizing her dad's death just to "score" with Korra.

First of all, Korra asked Asami if she wanted to join her. "Want to sit with me for a minute? I'm not ready to get back to the party just yet." Before Asami had even spoken a word to Korra.

Secondly, the conservation is initiated by Korra apologizing for being gone so long and not coming back sooner. Asami reassures her she has nothing to apologize for, and then opens up about how glad she is Korra is there and how she wouldn't have been able to handle losing Korra and Hiroshi. Korra gives her condolences. That hardly sounds like manipulation.

Thirdly, when Asami suggests the vacation, here are her words: "I'm kind of all danced out. Honestly, after everything that's happened the past few months, I could use a vacation." Not let's go on vacation. I could use a vacation. Then Korra suggests the both of them go on vacation, and Asami thinks about it and suggests the Spirit World.

I don't disagree that Hiroshi's death was rushed, but suggesting Asami was using her dad's death to "score" or get some alone time with Korra is really a significant stretch. If anything, she was using a ruse involving Varrick to maybe be alone to have a conversation with Korra. That's all. I'm not seeing the sociopathy or manipulation here aside from possibly making up a story about Varrick to get Tenzin out of the scene. The subject of Hiroshi seemed to come up fairly naturally, for a 23-minute episode featuring several major battles and a rushed resolution.

Sig by Sedai ^_^
djinn
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #36 on: Mar 10, 2015 06:00 pm »

I'm a fan of anyone that can have a laugh at their own work. A lot of creators treat their work like precious babies. Which is understandable at times. You pour a lot of blood, sweat and tears into your creations. So it's nice that they can still laugh at their stuff.

Hand of Vaatu
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #37 on: Mar 10, 2015 06:01 pm »

I thought this was a given. The show got that across just fine in my opinion. There was no need for any creator confirmation (I saw the same thing about Amon in the Book 1 finale to).

That's what every rational person was thinking.

People were coming up with some very..."out there" theories as to why Kuvira didn't love Baatar.

I even read a theory where someone said she didn't love him because despite Baatar confirming to Kuvira that Bolin and Vharrick couldn't have survived the train blast wanted posters were still put up to find them as shown when they tried to walk through the checkpoint which in this persons mind indicated that she didn't trust him.
Maivry
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #38 on: Mar 10, 2015 06:02 pm »

Yong Wing, I think your argument mostly makes Bryan's headcanon implausible. Asami didn't show much initiative in that conversation. The Asami they actually wrote doesn't really have that sneaky lie-to-get-alone-time way about her.

ArtFicsGraphics
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #39 on: Mar 10, 2015 06:04 pm »

@Yong Wing: I think you are misunderstanding me. I am not saying Asami was using her fathers death to manipulate Korra. I am saying that the writers wrote him back into the story and killed him for the sake of setting up that final scene. The writers are the problem here. Not Asami.

Narrative, there was no other reason for Hiroshi to be there. There was no other reason for him to be killed. The writers did it so Asami would have something to cry about, so Korra could comfort her, and then lead into the vacation talk.

I'm not trying to say Asami is manipulative or sociopathic or anything. It's an interesting idea and I'll admit it does a lot to add some degree of interest to her character but I know that is not what the writers were going for with her.

First of all, Korra asked Asami if she wanted to join her. "Want to sit with me for a minute? I'm not ready to get back to the party just yet." Before Asami had even spoken a word to Korra.

Asami sought Korra out though. She was the one that came over when Korra was alone talking to Tenzin. Korra then invited her to sit together once Asami was already there. I say Asami still made the first move because Korra didn't really invite Asami to be there with her (Korra was sitting alone until Tenzin came over). Asami came over there herself to talk to Korra and Korra offered her a seat. Which is the natural thing to do in that situation. If a friend leaves a party to come find you, you don't just ignore them when they are standing right next to you.

Asami was the one that put everything in motion though.

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character." (As said by me)
Molra
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Stories are everywhere.

« Reply #40 on: Mar 10, 2015 06:12 pm »

I'm a fan of anyone that can have a laugh at their own work. A lot of creators treat their work like precious babies. Which is understandable at times. You pour a lot of blood, sweat and tears into your creations. So it's nice that they can still laugh at their stuff.

Laugh, yes. Naturally, of course I agree with you. It is also called have fun. BUT. Not at the expense of others, like thinking they are funnier and smarter than those that did not pour a lot of blood, sweat and tears into their creations. It's called have fun at the expense of others. Not take a fiction too seriously is one thing, sound like mocking, is another. Some comments should be more considerate in the DVD commentaries, knowing people will take them seriously. What they did has a name, it's called trolling.

"Some see a hopeless end, while others see an endless hope."
Yong Wing
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm a brand new sky to hang the stars upon tonight

« Reply #41 on: Mar 10, 2015 06:23 pm »

Yong Wing, I think your argument mostly makes Bryan's headcanon implausible. Asami didn't show much initiative in that conversation. The Asami they actually wrote doesn't really have that sneaky lie-to-get-alone-time way about her.

Eh, sometimes, introverts can do surprising things. Smiley

@Yong Wing: I think you are misunderstanding me. I am not saying Asami was using her fathers death to manipulate Korra. I am saying that the writers wrote him back into the story and killed him for the sake of setting up that final scene. The writers are the problem here. Not Asami.

Hmmm... Alright, fair enough. It was Uzuko's original comment that seemed to suggest Asami was being a sociopathic manipulator, so that's really what I was confused by and taking issue with.

Me, I like Asami, but mainly because there was a lot of unexplored potential in her introverted nature and need to cling to others that Mike and Bryan squandered. We get glimpses of deeper insight into her character here and there, but... it never really goes anywhere. I mean, Bryke can write introverted loners, which is why Zuko was so popular. Not so sure they know how to sympathetically write cling-y characters, though.

So, I can definitely agree the Hiroshi/Asami relationship was way too rushed, and Asami's development suffered as a result.

Sig by Sedai ^_^
djinn
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #42 on: Mar 10, 2015 06:25 pm »

Laugh, yes. Naturally, of course I agree with you. It is also called have fun. BUT. Not at the expense of others, like thinking they are funnier and smarter than those that did not pour a lot of blood, sweat and tears into their creations. It's called have fun at the expense of others. Not take a fiction too seriously is one thing, sound like mocking, is another. Some comments should be more considerate in the DVD commentaries, knowing people will take them seriously. What they did has a name, it's called trolling.
Eh, I think you're reading way too much into a simple joke about Mako and the operator girl. If anything, Bryke are showing a fair bit of understanding of how shippers think. It's called Crack shipping, like how a whole bunch of people got into Korra and Howl over a five second scene.

Mako is being a total dork in the operator scene and there's nothing wrong in laughing at that.

shorewall
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Yeah, baby!

« Reply #43 on: Mar 10, 2015 06:46 pm »

I think Asami's character lost out to plot.  They subsumed her development to the needs of the narrative.  She doesn't have much of a character because they didn't give her a consistent one.  She changed according to the circumstances, as the plot demanded.  That's why I (tongue-in-cheek, but still) call her a sociopath.  She isn't a canon sociopath, she is a narrative sociopath.  Tongue  Wink

"The true mind can weather all the lies and illusions without being lost. The true heart can tough the poison of hatred without being harmed. Since beginning-less time, darkness thrives in the void but always yields to purifying light."
Uzuko
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #44 on: Mar 10, 2015 07:02 pm »

Hmmm... Alright, fair enough. It was Uzuko's original comment that seemed to suggest Asami was being a sociopathic manipulator, so that's really what I was confused by and taking issue with.

I didn't mean to say (and pretty sure I didn't) that Asami is a socipathic manipulated, but hat Bryke's commentry makes her that way. Nickelodeon's marketing does to if your accecpt the Asami helping Korra after her battle with Zaheer as a romantic moment.
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #45 on: Mar 10, 2015 08:28 pm »

(Source)

This is adorable! :3

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #46 on: Mar 10, 2015 08:58 pm »

Aww...I always like me some Kataang Smiley

Old School
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #47 on: Mar 10, 2015 10:08 pm »

-Apparently, they ship Mako with the Operator Woman who appears in episode 3 and 11. "[Bryan:]But, I found myself shipping Mako -

[Bryan:]But, I found myself shipping -

I know I probably shouldn't be mad (or surprised) that Bryke actually "ship" characters since I've accused them of doing just that before, but it's another thing to hear it directly from them. It's just...you shouldn't "ship" characters from your own story. Shipping makes you do irrational things like sacrificing coherent storytelling and character development for the sake of putting characters together who wouldn't otherwise get together within the flow of the story. It's one of the basic things that separates actual works of fiction from fanfi-

Mike: Man now we’re writing our own fanfiction.

Yes, Mike. Yes you are. That is not a good thing. Don't do that.
« Last Edit: Mar 10, 2015 10:10 pm by Old School » Logged
shorewall
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Yeah, baby!

« Reply #48 on: Mar 10, 2015 10:09 pm »

Some more Bad!Asami.  Grin

The A.S.A.M.I. System.  Cheesy  (Uh oh for Korra!  Wink)

Asami tells Varrick how it is.  (But I think she's being hard on him.  Tongue)

And Korra knows her father can't be a rebel.  He has a bad shoulder!

source

Maivry
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #49 on: Mar 10, 2015 11:27 pm »

I know I probably shouldn't be mad (or surprised) that Bryke actually "ship" characters since I've accused them of doing just that before, but it's another thing to hear it directly from them. It's just...you shouldn't "ship" characters from your own story. Shipping makes you do irrational things like sacrificing coherent storytelling and character development for the sake of putting characters together who wouldn't otherwise get together within the flow of the story. It's one of the basic things that separates actual works of fiction from fanfi-

Mike: Man now we’re writing our own fanfiction.

Yes, Mike. Yes you are. That is not a good thing. Don't do that.

How is that different from Bryan claiming he was the first Korrasami shipper?

Possibly it's just two different kinds of shippers. I think anyone who writes romance is inherently a shipper -- they want the two characters together, don't they? --  it's just that it's not necessarily crackshipping.

ArtFicsGraphics
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: