Mar 27, 2017 02:42 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TLOK Shipping Thread - Part 4 (keep all buttcapes unknotted)  (Read 77482 times)
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« on: Feb 26, 2015 01:13 am »

IMPORTANT NOTE:
Keep the shipping conversation at a PG-13 level or below. Remember that ASN is a family-friendly website and that there could be young children reading the thread. You can discuss any ship you want, but you MUST keep the conversation non-explicit.

Failure to comply with these rules will result in a 7-day probation, but if an offense is serious enough it could warrant a 7-day ban instead. Any infraction after the first probation will result in a 7-day ban. No appeals.

Additional Rules:
  • No knicker twisting, purple or otherwise Smiley
  • DO NOT post images that are too big (more than 100-300 kb); link to them instead.
  • Please don't post many (~10+) images in a single post.
  • Raunchy images are NOT ALLOWED (see giant warning above about keeping it PG-13 or below).
  • LINKS to raunchy images are NOT ALLOWED EITHER (same reason as above).
  • And for the love of cabbages, if you want to quote a post with lots of images, turn the images into links.

Previous Parts:
- TLOK Shipping Thread (don't get your scarf up in a knot!)
- TLOK Shipping Thread - Part 2 (keep your scarf untwisted!)
- TLOK Shipping Thread - Part 3 (harmonically converging)
« Last Edit: Mar 10, 2015 01:32 am by Icy_Ashford » Logged

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Maivry
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1 on: Mar 10, 2015 02:09 am »

I can't quote the last post of the last board. Sad

I wonder how they'd commentate on that now. Obviously they weren't defensive about it. Maybe it'd still be similar.

/obligatory post to be able to see new replies

ArtFicsGraphics
Flipdark95
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #2 on: Mar 10, 2015 02:10 am »

Special note: This was recorded the day after they mixed the episode
The Last Scene
BK: I like to imagine that Asami lied about Varrick wanting that suit just to get Tenzin out of there. She’s got this sly little look on her face. She’s like, “Yeah, that’ll buy me some time.”
JDS: Tenzin’s now going, “What? Where is he?”
BK: So Asami’s had a pretty rough week or so.
MD: A couple weeks.
BK: So yeah this, Mike and I worked on this scene together and I really wanted to have…I just loved their story, how they started, you know kinda fought over Mako but what was cool was that they never took it out on each other and this beautiful relationship developed out of it.
MD: Yeah and we wanted them to start off friends and have that friendship develop into maybe something a little more.
BK: Into love.
MD: Yes.
BK: I always remember Asami’s not the bender so sometimes she wouldn’t be in the crazy action scenes so she never got to go to the spirit world. A beautiful way for them to go together…live happily ever after…the end.

You have to admit, it seems a bit of a leap that they are evidently a couple now judging by what Bryan said. Not a impossible leap, just a bit out of the blue that Bryan considers them to be in love. I'm not using this to attack him, or Korra, or Asami, or anyone, but I sincerely do wish that the final scene wasn't solely meant to signify the transition from friends to lovers.

It just seems really quick. Too quick. Too quick as in "Sure they're friends, and sure they've been through thick and thin, but has there seriously been any concrete romantic tones to any of their interactions together?"  

I'm not questioning them as friends, I'm questioning them as being bonafide lovers when it would be more realistic for them to at the beginning of a gradual shift to being lovers, rather than just seemingly jumping from friends to lovers.
« Last Edit: Mar 10, 2015 02:20 am by Flipdark95 » Logged

Dare to be Badass.

Changing Elements
Rising Tide
Breaking Ice
Raging Flame[
The Fan with No Name
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Couldn't think of a cool name

« Reply #3 on: Mar 10, 2015 02:16 am »

My feelings towards M and B commentaries are this so what? There is nothing on screen to justify Korrasami they talked a total of 5 times throughout Book 4 and they want me to buy that they lived together happily ever after sorry not doing that.

Remember regarding Makorra in the Book 1 commentaries they said that hose kids were made for each other so their statements are too contradictory to be taken as canon.  A comic by Dark Horse can easily override anything said in commentaries.

« Last Edit: Mar 10, 2015 02:53 am by The Fan with No Name » Logged

There are two types of fans here those who care about narrative and shippers
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I can't think of anything clever to say.

« Reply #4 on: Mar 10, 2015 02:47 am »

Eh...there is nothing about that that requires any freaking out or frustration over. Bryke already said they were in love in their post after the finale...nothing new there. It sucked before. Nothing they said there makes the relationship suck any more or less. That whole conversation in the commentary is pretty harmless.

The only thing I can start rolling my eyes at in it is the part where Bryan said he likes to think that Asami was lying to Tenzin to get him out of the way. Thats...some really heavy shipping goggles there. And if that was actually a canon thing that happened in the series I'd be face-palming but as it is, it's just Bryan's little headcanon. Whatever. Everyone can have a headcanon. Mine is that Asami gets eaten by a spirit two minutes after the ending making the awful ending inconsequential. Aren't headcanon's great!? Grin

Anyway, the biggest relief I take out of this is that if they talked more about Korrasami in the commentaries, I would think we'd here more about from this souce...so I have a feeling this is about the only time they discuss it. And I prefer it that way.

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character." (As said by me)
Solariz
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #5 on: Mar 10, 2015 02:55 am »

Wow. They reeeeeaaallly are trying to make it more than what it is

As for Icy in her bunker *provides you snacks and fan fics*
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #6 on: Mar 10, 2015 02:59 am »

Wow. They reeeeeaaallly are trying to make it more than what it is

It is a little weird that they seem to think so highly of it and call it a beautiful relationship yet never bothered to put any real effort into developing it like they do other relationships on the show.

I mean, there really was no "becoming friends" with Korrasami. They were not really big friends in the first 2 season. Then they were BFF's at the start of Book 3. There was no "becoming". It just kinda happened off screen.

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character." (As said by me)
Flipdark95
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #7 on: Mar 10, 2015 03:06 am »

^ Eh, I thought they were friends during Book 2. I think the 'becoming friends' moment was in Book 1 while they were staying at Asami's mansion for the day. I didn't feel it was that jarring for them to be sharing drives and joking about Mako at the beginning of Book 3.

I just think they leapt from friends to lovers ridiculously quickly because of the final scene. My headcanon is that they went through that portal as firm friends and then came out at the end of their journey in what would lead to being lovers.

No matter what you're trying to signify with a scene, you don't just say that them going into a portal replaces the gradual development from friends to lovers.

There's a few more layers involved that were essentially skipped over.

Dare to be Badass.

Changing Elements
Rising Tide
Breaking Ice
Raging Flame[
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #8 on: Mar 10, 2015 03:08 am »

It just kinda happened off screen.
There was the Korra videogame made by Activision which takes place between Books 2 & 3 and wasn't the timeskip between both books about 2 weeks or so?

If I want to read between the lines of the Korra videogame, Korra makes a mention of "Does Asami know about this?!" when she is fighting against the Future Industries mechatanks. I suppose one's headcanon can become super imaginative and say they interacted off screen. Though Korra is seen with Bolin and Mako in the beginning, participating in a charity probending match to raise funds to help rebuild Republic City and Asami is nowhere to be seen in the game...

Eh, like you said, imaginative headcanons.

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Solariz
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #9 on: Mar 10, 2015 03:27 am »

Bryke goes out of their way to develop episodes to love and such but we couldn't get 5 minutes of time where korra and Asami gave a flippin look to each other or something ?? And no I'm not talking about the dang last scene of the series. 

They claim korrasami had a great story together that evolved into love ? Meeeeh they really seem to be trying so hard to make us believe it like "awe look ! That color is green! Look at it! LOOK AT IT !!"

At this point it feels like they are trying to convince themselves that they produced a well rounded relationship.
shorewall
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Yeah, baby!

« Reply #10 on: Mar 10, 2015 03:39 am »

Some Dancing Makorra I found!

And some more Korra/Kuvira parallels.

source
« Last Edit: Mar 10, 2015 03:42 am by shorewall » Logged

"The true mind can weather all the lies and illusions without being lost. The true heart can tough the poison of hatred without being harmed. Since beginning-less time, darkness thrives in the void but always yields to purifying light."
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #11 on: Mar 10, 2015 03:57 am »

Kataang family problems with their children done using images from the comics.

"Mom, Dad, can we talk about the United Forces…"

"Mom, Dad, you don’t understand! I need to go on a journey to FIND MYSELF!"

"Mom, Dad… I broke up with a Beifong…"

The image for the last response is hilarious.

The Fan with No Name
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Couldn't think of a cool name

« Reply #12 on: Mar 10, 2015 06:11 am »

Yea breaking up with a Beifong is not a good idea I think there's a reason that we never heard about Lin and Su's fathers I don't think Toph deals with break ups well.

@Shorewall Love the Makorra dance it's awesome screw Bryan's head canon we know who Korra's soulmate is and it isn't Asami
Although I think maybe Kurivia could be in the running for the Avatar's love they certainly are closers with each-other than Korrasami
« Last Edit: Mar 10, 2015 06:21 am by The Fan with No Name » Logged

There are two types of fans here those who care about narrative and shippers
djinn
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Fish genetics is a very small field

« Reply #13 on: Mar 10, 2015 06:34 am »

Katara looks mad in most of those captions. Aang is just like "so that's where babies come from."

mmoon24
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #14 on: Mar 10, 2015 07:14 am »

Feels like nothing new to see far as the DVD commentary goes. They are not exactly going to say "Oh yeah, we messed up" or anything controversial for that matter. They have to support their work in their own DVD commentary lol.
Molra
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Stories are everywhere.

« Reply #15 on: Mar 10, 2015 08:52 am »

..... it's just Bryan's little headcanon. Whatever. Everyone can have a headcanon. Mine is that Asami gets eaten by a spirit two minutes after the ending making the awful ending inconsequential. Aren't headcanon's great!? Grin

Thanks for making me laugh. I know that there is sarcasm in you comment, so there is in mine, but headcanons are perfectly defined by your example, and I'm being serious. Mine (headcanon) is something similar (or in the same line of thought) but not so radical as yours and is based on what Iroh said to little Korra, back in book 2: 'be careful with you thoughts here in the SW' - I would add to that: be careful also with what you do.... Korra and Asami better be careful during that vacation of theirs... Tongue

"Some see a hopeless end, while others see an endless hope."
Hand of Vaatu
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #16 on: Mar 10, 2015 09:54 am »

I hope Bryke mentions that Kuvira does love Baatar when she fires upon him so we can get rid of the idea that she doesn't love him even though she says "I love you Baatar".
Uzuko
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #17 on: Mar 10, 2015 10:41 am »

Special note: This was recorded the day after they mixed the episode
The Last Scene
BK: I like to imagine that Asami lied about Varrick wanting that suit just to get Tenzin out of there. She’s got this sly little look on her face. She’s like, “Yeah, that’ll buy me some time.”
JDS: Tenzin’s now going, “What? Where is he?”
BK: So Asami’s had a pretty rough week or so.
MD: A couple weeks.
BK: So yeah this, Mike and I worked on this scene together and I really wanted to have…I just loved their story, how they started, you know kinda fought over Mako but what was cool was that they never took it out on each other and this beautiful relationship developed out of it.
MD: Yeah and we wanted them to start off friends and have that friendship develop into maybe something a little more.
BK: Into love.
MD: Yes.
BK: I always remember Asami’s not the bender so sometimes she wouldn’t be in the crazy action scenes so she never got to go to the spirit world. A beautiful way for them to go together…live happily ever after…the end.

I wonder if Bryke realizes that this logic makes Asami not just a flat character, but a horrible person. Their reasoning is that Asami tried to set up a romantic situation with Korra in which she brings up her father's death.

Essentially Asami is using her father's death to score with Korra.

This is just so romantic and healthy.

*gag*

I thought using the Asami helping Korra in recovery as a romantic scene was bad, but this is just so much worse.
« Last Edit: Mar 10, 2015 10:45 am by Uzuko » Logged
mmoon24
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #18 on: Mar 10, 2015 11:06 am »

Asami the Sociopath just got new life xD.

Okay, not gonna start that storm again, but definitely manipulate if you Bryke wants to interpret her behavior like that.
« Last Edit: Mar 10, 2015 11:10 am by mmoon24 » Logged
luvavatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #19 on: Mar 10, 2015 11:09 am »

They really didn't know how to write Asami. They didn't use the excuse of Sokka being a non-bender to keep him out of the action. Plus with technology being far more advanced now there is even less of an excuse to keep her out of it. So all in all the story ends with a "meh".
Yong Wing
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm a brand new sky to hang the stars upon tonight

« Reply #20 on: Mar 10, 2015 11:10 am »

How and where do you interpret that in the commentary? She tells Tenzin to stop from Varrick from something involving a suit, then sits down to chat with Korra.

I mean, I don't see anything about her planning to use her father's death to score with Korra.

Sig by Sedai ^_^
Uzuko
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #21 on: Mar 10, 2015 11:16 am »

How and where do you interpret that in the commentary? She tells Tenzin to stop from Varrick from something involving a suit, then sits down to chat with Korra.

I mean, I don't see anything about her planning to use her father's death to score with Korra.

Well not in the original scene itself, but implying that Asami was trying to get alone time with Korra on top of how it was written just make it a little more creepy on top of the flatness. The scene plays out differently if there is the implication that Asami is trying to pursue Korra, which I didn't think of until Bryke apparently said so in their commentary.
« Last Edit: Mar 10, 2015 12:52 pm by Uzuko » Logged
Yong Wing
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm a brand new sky to hang the stars upon tonight

« Reply #22 on: Mar 10, 2015 12:56 pm »

Well not in the original scene itself, but implying that Asami was trying to get alone time with Korra on top of how it was written just make it a little more creepy on top of the flatness.

Well, considering my major issues with Bolin "winning" Opal back and "working his way out of the polar bear-doghouse" (complete with triumphant fist pump and "Yes!" on behalf of Bolin)...

I think Asami tricking Tenzin with something harmless so she can have some alone time to speak with Korra is pretty tame, by comparison. I just figured her concern about losing Korra was really what was on her mind, because she'd already lost her father. It's not very well-written, but I don't really find it at all creepy to want to be with someone you care about partly in reaction to having recently lost someone else you care about. I've certainly done it.

If Asami wanted to "score" with Korra, she has a funny way of showing it by not making the first move. Korra is the one who offered that Spirit World vacation, just the two of them. Wink

Sig by Sedai ^_^
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #23 on: Mar 10, 2015 01:17 pm »

If Asami wanted to "score" with Korra, she has a funny way of showing it by not making the first move. Korra is the one who offered that Spirit World vacation, just the two of them. Wink

Was Korra the first one? I'm pretty sure Asami was the one that made a comment about needing a vacation.

All Korra said was "okay, just the two of us, where do you want to go?"

Asami is the one the first brought it up and then suggested the spirit world.

Even besides that though, you could argue that Asami made the first move since she was the one that interrupted Korra and Tenzin's conversation to talk to Korra (and if we are to believe Bryan, she apparently lied to get Tenzin out of the way).

The thing that rubs me the wrong way though is that Hiroshi's death was literally just to set up that last scene. Asami's whole subplot with him throughout Book 4 (all 5 minutes of it) was just so she can cry in front of Korra and give the pair a moment at the end. There was literally no other reason that Hiroshi needed to be brought back for the finale or anything. He didn't do anything that the writers couldn't have had Varrick or Asami do. He was literally just a pawn for Korrasami.

Molra
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Stories are everywhere.

« Reply #24 on: Mar 10, 2015 02:03 pm »

^I agree, and the Hiroshi-Asami relationship was the most appealing plot they could give Asami all considered, even though it started out of the blue in book 4 (it was really weird, I remember, when all of a sudden the letters from Hiroshi and Asami's visit to him in the jail were brought as a new arc, in the middle of another arc, apparently out nowhere). Her struggles with him could explain, for example, her need to always having to rely on someone, or some romantic relationship, to feel safe, specially in moments when she was being really challenged and should try and be strong, despite of everything. And that last scene with Korra just demonstrated how far from being over her emotional dependency issues she was.

The only deep layer that existed for giving Asami some meaning and making her a more interesting character was related to Hiroshi and they just lost it by killing him and not dealing with that with more sensitivity, honesty and seriousness.

"Some see a hopeless end, while others see an endless hope."
Pages: next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: