Oct 20, 2019 11:30 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Avatar Kyoshi lived 230 years  (Read 11573 times)
Ritster21
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« on: Dec 26, 2014 07:48 pm »

This means something scary.

Did Avatar Kyoshi outlive her daughter?

Her grandkids?

Great grandchildren?

Esperaholon
On Probation
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1 on: Dec 26, 2014 10:02 pm »

Avatar Kyoshi shouldn't have eaten that mermaid steak if she didn't want to be Really 700 Years Old. I'm just saying man - this isn't Tenchi Muyo.
NeeNee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

We will not be quiet.

« Reply #2 on: Dec 26, 2014 10:26 pm »

Moved to ATLA board.

Weege the Airbender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Airbender for Life

« Reply #3 on: Dec 26, 2014 11:01 pm »

We never got an explanation of why Kyoshi lived so long. Ironically, the Avatar before her, Kuruk, only lived 33 years.

"I told you I would destroy you."
"With you out of the way, I will be the one true Avatar."
"Your name will echo throughout history: Korra, the last Avatar."
AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #4 on: Dec 27, 2014 07:42 am »

This means something scary.

Did Avatar Kyoshi outlive her daughter?

Her grandkids?

Great grandchildren?

Her daughter - Koko - took over Kyoshi Island after her death, so she didn't outlive her. And before you ask, yes, this means that Kyoshi gave birth to a healthy child at the age of 150++.

Keeper of Suki's firebending ancestry, the Kyoshi Warrior dojo, the love potion made from rainbows and sunsets and the mecha tanks.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
NeeNee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

We will not be quiet.

« Reply #5 on: Dec 27, 2014 11:30 am »

^ Or her daughter lived for 200 years as well.

If Guru Pathik could live to 150, it means that such lifespan isn't limited to Avatars.

AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #6 on: Dec 27, 2014 11:42 am »

^ Or her daughter lived for 200 years as well.

If Guru Pathik could live to 150, it means that such lifespan isn't limited to Avatars.

I dunno, but the implication with Kyoshi is that living that long is highly exceptional, even by Avatar standards. So I would say that a late-birth is more likely.

By the way, I don't think that Kyoshi reached that age naturally. She probably had some sort of spirit-shenanigans going on. It was implied in the Journey to the Spirit World mini-game that the Avatar could live forever, and the reason why Avatars die is that they aren't supposed to do it.
« Last Edit: Dec 27, 2014 11:46 am by AtoMaki » Logged

Keeper of Suki's firebending ancestry, the Kyoshi Warrior dojo, the love potion made from rainbows and sunsets and the mecha tanks.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
Noboka
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #7 on: Dec 27, 2014 01:12 pm »

It seems that being the Avatar always gives people the potential for a long life. Aang lived to be 166, if you count the time in the iceberg--which the creators do.

Magicman710
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #8 on: Feb 09, 2015 11:56 pm »

It seems that being the Avatar always gives people the potential for a long life. Aang lived to be 166, if you count the time in the iceberg--which the creators do.

With the AS. The Avatar State halts aging.
Amon Guy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I am the Solution

« Reply #9 on: Feb 23, 2015 05:28 pm »

Wow, I bet the fire nation was getting pretty tired of waiting for Kyoshi to die at a point. Just imagine living in the period where Kyoshi was 150-230. That must've been BORING.
Weege the Airbender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Airbender for Life

« Reply #10 on: Feb 28, 2015 04:28 pm »

Wow, I bet the fire nation was getting pretty tired of waiting for Kyoshi to die at a point. Just imagine living in the period where Kyoshi was 150-230. That must've been BORING.

An Avatar living for 230 years seems like imbalance anyway. Did any Avatar even come close to Kyoshi? I think Aang lived for 167 years (100 of those in an iceberg).

"I told you I would destroy you."
"With you out of the way, I will be the one true Avatar."
"Your name will echo throughout history: Korra, the last Avatar."
akiragrl
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Awesome sig by plushu

« Reply #11 on: Mar 02, 2015 01:28 am »

I remember reading somewhere that Avatars tended to live long lives (or that they had the capacity to do so) but that never made any sense to me, since we're not given much evidence to support that. Only Aang and Kyoshi. Roku was an old man at the same time his wife was an old woman, so he still aged the same, though he died due to external causes. Do you think he would have lived over 100 if it hadn't been for the volcano/Sozin being a terrible person?
« Last Edit: Mar 02, 2015 01:32 am by akiragrl » Logged

I keep Toph's "Toph, you rule!", Makorralin's "We're in!" "We are?" "Yes!" exchange, Mako's "Hey, I didn't agree to this!", Korra's stroll with Naga, Lin's "I'm watching you" gesture
KatrinaKadabra
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #12 on: Jun 22, 2015 09:17 am »

It does seem like a few of the non-avatar characters live (or are likely to live) beyond 100. Zuko and Toph's old age doesn't seem to slow them down much. Bumi (Aang's friend, not his son) was over 100 and doing pretty well. I'm not sure what would have happened to Roku. Although now I've got an amusing image in my head of Raava just randomly deciding to extend the avatar's life: "Hey, Kyoshi, I like you. Let's see if we can get you to live 200+ years. Ew, Kuruk, you annoy me. I'm gonna just fall asleep when you need me the most and see how long you last." ^_^

Actually, it's kind of weird to me that Yangchen and Kyoshi always appear to Aang in middle age, while the other avatars appear the age they were at the time of their death. Or did Yangchen and Kyoshi just look middle-aged for most of their lives?

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #13 on: Jun 22, 2015 05:42 pm »

My "headcanon" solution for this is that the Avatar Ghosts appear to Aang in the form that he's most familiar with. He first saw Roku as that statue in the Southern Air Temple, although it's a worthwhile question why he didn't get that statue carved until he was an old man. Kyoshi appears to Aang just like her freshly painted statue in the town square on Kyoshi Island. Aang probably saw images of Kuruk at the North Pole, probably explaining why Kuruk is wearing that formal pelt on his head when he appears to Aang. And of course Yangchen appears to Aang exactly like the giant statues of her at the Eastern Air Temple.

AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #14 on: Jun 23, 2015 12:00 pm »

^ That statue didn't look a lot like Kyoshi though:

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
Riptide
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Why you mad?

« Reply #15 on: Jun 23, 2015 02:07 pm »

My "headcanon" solution for this is that the Avatar Ghosts appear to Aang in the form that he's most familiar with. He first saw Roku as that statue in the Southern Air Temple, although it's a worthwhile question why he didn't get that statue carved until he was an old man. Kyoshi appears to Aang just like her freshly painted statue in the town square on Kyoshi Island. Aang probably saw images of Kuruk at the North Pole, probably explaining why Kuruk is wearing that formal pelt on his head when he appears to Aang. And of course Yangchen appears to Aang exactly like the giant statues of her at the Eastern Air Temple.
Or because the past Avatars are now ghosts, they can chose how they want to appear.
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

*smooch*

« Reply #16 on: Jun 23, 2015 02:40 pm »

Or because the past Avatars are now ghosts, they can chose how they want to appear.

Yeah that seems like the most logical solution to me... And it works as well with older avatars such as when Korra meets Wan. She would have no knowledge of how he looks, as he is pretty much lost in time as far as I can tell. Yet he appears not as an old man to her, but as a middle aged man.

"The true mind can weather all the lies and illusions without being lost. The true heart can tough the poison of hatred without being harmed. Since beginningless time, darkness thrives in the void, but always yields to purifying light." -The Lion Turtle
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #17 on: Jun 23, 2015 06:00 pm »

Does to me? Keep in mind, I'm not talking about whether the statue got her cheekbones right. That's the exact outfit and presentation for Kyoshi when Aang sees her. It's all about the iconography of each Avatar, not exact likenesses.

Yeah that seems like the most logical solution to me... And it works as well with older avatars such as when Korra meets Wan. She would have no knowledge of how he looks, as he is pretty much lost in time as far as I can tell. Yet he appears not as an old man to her, but as a middle aged man.

Oh, I don't count LoK when coming up with ATLA headcanons. I feel like LoK wrecked the setting's own internal logic whenever there was a bad plot-pointed that needed enabling, so I don't have any obligation to justify it in my headcanons. Korra's on her own when it comes to seeing Wan.

AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #18 on: Jun 23, 2015 11:18 pm »

Does to me? Keep in mind, I'm not talking about whether the statue got her cheekbones right. That's the exact outfit and presentation for Kyoshi when Aang sees her. It's all about the iconography of each Avatar, not exact likenesses.

The outfit doesn't match. The statue has different clothing, and the headdress also looks slightly different.

I think the Avatars appear in the form when they were the most powerful, or the best connected to Raava. Their appearance is like a "photo" Raava keeps for herself. 

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
Riptide
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Why you mad?

« Reply #19 on: Jun 24, 2015 02:38 pm »

The outfit doesn't match. The statue has different clothing, and the headdress also looks slightly different.

I think the Avatars appear in the form when they were the most powerful, or the best connected to Raava. Their appearance is like a "photo" Raava keeps for herself. 
It looks like Kyoshi to me too. It has same clothing and headpiece isn't that much off. But its a statue...you cant expect it to be identical.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #20 on: Jun 25, 2015 05:48 pm »

What does "powerful" mean in this context? I don't think the Avatars get stronger when their emotions are up, or anything like that. They're not Jedi.

Riptide
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Why you mad?

« Reply #21 on: Jun 25, 2015 08:30 pm »

What does "powerful" mean in this context? I don't think the Avatars get stronger when their emotions are up, or anything like that. They're not Jedi.
Maybe he is saying when they were most spiritually connected to the avatar state?. My statement that avatars appear in the form they want too is valid and pretty much confirmed though.

Aang has revealed himself in two different forms. Then avatars are able to show you there past and time travel through memories too.
« Last Edit: Jun 25, 2015 08:38 pm by Riptide » Logged
AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #22 on: Jun 25, 2015 11:04 pm »

I think the are the most "powerful" when they display the biggest AS magic: when they separate landmasses, try to suppress a volcano, etc.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #23 on: Jun 26, 2015 05:35 pm »

Aang has revealed himself in two different forms. Then avatars are able to show you there past and time travel through memories too.

Did Aang reveal himself or did Korra imagine him as one age and Tenzin imagined him as another, based on their preconceptions about Aang's appearance? Grin

I think the are the most "powerful" when they display the biggest AS magic: when they separate landmasses, try to suppress a volcano, etc.

Well, they wouldn't have any more potential in those moments than any other, so it seems like an odd term to use here. As far as displaying the most power, the notion leaves me cold. I'm not a fan of giving power levels to people or actions, since it's strictly the province of fiction, and I'm not sure why flexing the Avatar Spirit "muscle" more than any other time is notable to Ravaa when she merges completely with the individual whenever they're in the Avatar State.

Don't get me wrong, if that's what you like, that's what you like, and we're just discussing headcanons. But I'll be sticking with mine.

Riptide
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Why you mad?

« Reply #24 on: Jun 26, 2015 06:38 pm »

Did Aang reveal himself or did Korra imagine him as one age and Tenzin imagined him as another, based on their preconceptions about Aang's appearance? Grin

Well, they wouldn't have any more potential in those moments than any other, so it seems like an odd term to use here. As far as displaying the most power, the notion leaves me cold. I'm not a fan of giving power levels to people or actions, since it's strictly the province of fiction, and I'm not sure why flexing the Avatar Spirit "muscle" more than any other time is notable to Ravaa when she merges completely with the individual whenever they're in the Avatar State.

Don't get me wrong, if that's what you like, that's what you like, and we're just discussing headcanons. But I'll be sticking with mine.
Korra imagined that Aang gave her bending back, and she believed so hard that it became true and Tenzin imagined an entire speech from Aang. Yes Aang revealed himself, both times he was the one that got there attention first. He most likely appeared to Tenzin as his older self because it would be weird when your trying to lecture your son about how he has his own identity when your younger than him. Also I don't get how they could imagine them as different ages when Aang is actually there and not in there head.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: