Nov 19, 2017 11:53 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Legend of Korra Comics [Turf Wars, Part 1 speculation thread] (NO spoilers!)  (Read 48888 times)
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #550 on: Jul 07, 2017 09:41 pm »

^ There's gonna be a signing for TLOK at the Dark Horse booth for SDCC 2017 featuring Mike, Irene, and Janet. Maybe there will be stuff there?

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Red Hawk
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #551 on: Jul 11, 2017 10:36 am »

I'm finding it odd that we are 30 days out from the comic's release date, but I can't find any new news or marketing about it.

I think Syfy Wire had it listed on this month's graphic novel releases,  that's about it.  But graphic novels don't get a lot of promotion on general,  it seems to me.
mmoon24
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #552 on: Jul 11, 2017 12:18 pm »

I mean, did the recent ATLA comics get much promotion? I'm guessing Dark Horse has an expectation on how much they expect to sell...which I imagine is not much.
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Do the thing!

« Reply #553 on: Jul 11, 2017 03:24 pm »

I remember there was quite an bit of hype going around for the first issue of The Promise and right before The Search's release. Of course, it probably helped that the trilogy was focused on finding Zuko's mom and finally answering Avatar's equivalent of "Who shot J.R.?"

Sig by Guitarfreak.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #554 on: Jul 11, 2017 06:33 pm »

There were multiple interviews before The Promise, I believe, and I think there were immediate write-ups after the third part of The Promise was released hyping Azula's appearance and the upcoming Ursa revelations. As far as I recall, all the others just got got a standard pre-release Yang interview.

Nausicaa
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #555 on: Jul 12, 2017 12:14 pm »

Some new preview pages have been released through Amazon. This KorraNews post compiles the new parts. I've seen some other pages that seem to be from Amazon (they have the same copyright message), but they include stuff from later in the comic and might be leaks? It's a little confusing, so I won't link them unless someone can confirm they're official.

The dialogue feels like a retcon, especially the stuff about the first car ride they took together. By that point Korra had been probending with the Fire Ferrets for months, been part of the anti-Equalist task force, and had spent 24~ hours with Mako fighting Equalists and looking for Bolin. Why the heck would Asami driving fast on her own private racecourse prove she was 'just as intense' as Korra?

*I think that at least one of these is going to be Kya, because Koh posted a panel of her a while back. She's the only other (living) character that Bryke have said is LGBT, so it seems like a safe bet that they'll use the comic to establish that. Think there'll be any others? (Already introduced characters that are LGBT, that is.)

Honestly, out of all the Avatar's (surprisingly few) peers who weren't in an relationship during the series' run, I think Hasook and Tahno would be good candidates to be established LGBT characters. Hasook's defining character moment was quitting pro-bending after a fight with his teammate. Maybe Hasook is someone who has trouble trusting others and talking about his feelings? While Tahno has been established as somebody whose biggest concern in life was his image as an probending superstar. So going public with an new boyfriend would probably be difficult for Tahno, even if his athletic career had ended years ago. Maybe If Korra and Asami are looking to Kya for advice on coming out to their friends and family, then Tahno and Hasook could in turn, look at Korrasami and be inspired to be open about their own relationship as well.

I know none of that is likely to happen in the comics, but I think the possibility is there if the writers ever wanted to explore those characters again in the future.

Yeah, I think that would be an interesting way to reintroduce those characters. Though, I suspect they probably wouldn't consider Hasook that way- if I remember correctly, he was originally supposed to have a wife and kids that were cut for time. (Though I always thought he'd be about the same age as Mako/ Bolin.) The Avatar Wiki just says 'family and kids' though, so maybe...?   Smiley

Uzuko
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #556 on: Jul 12, 2017 01:58 pm »

The dialogue feels like a retcon, especially the stuff about the first car ride they took together. By that point Korra had been probending with the Fire Ferrets for months, been part of the anti-Equalist task force, and had spent 24~ hours with Mako fighting Equalists and looking for Bolin. Why the heck would Asami driving fast on her own private racecourse prove she was 'just as intense' as Korra?

The dialog feels like a retcon because it is a retcon. Mike is trying to establish an earlier relationship to make the intensity of their relationship in the comic actually make sense. Because we all know that telling is the best way to establish a story.
mmoon24
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #557 on: Jul 12, 2017 03:01 pm »

Furthermore, the following panels contradict the show as well. I believe it had already been proven that Korra had only sent "one" letter to Asami during her time away, and now they are going back and pluralizing it to be "letters". They also are trying to emphasize how bad Asami felt during those three years. I can understand Korra not visiting...but Asami really had no excuse in that three year span. It's so obvious what Mike and Bryan are trying to do, that's kind of funny in a sad way.
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Do the thing!

« Reply #558 on: Jul 12, 2017 04:16 pm »

Some new preview pages have been released through Amazon. This KorraNews post compiles the new parts. I've seen some other pages that seem to be from Amazon (they have the same copyright message), but they include stuff from later in the comic and might be leaks? It's a little confusing, so I won't link them unless someone can confirm they're official.

My only guess is that Asami had an very sheltered life up until that day she ran into Mako with her moped and as an result, she has very, very different ideas of what qualifies as being "Just as intense" as the Avatar herself. Smiley  

Yeah, I think that would be an interesting way to reintroduce those characters. Though, I suspect they probably wouldn't consider Hasook that way- if I remember correctly, he was originally supposed to have a wife and kids that were cut for time. (Though I always thought he'd be about the same age as Mako/ Bolin.) The Avatar Wiki just says 'family and kids' though, so maybe...?   Smiley

Either Haook's age was retconned and he's now late-teens/early-twenties like the Krew now or Hasook is the young single dad whose looking for love again? But yeah, the chances of Hasook or Tahno being the already introduced, still living LGBT characters (besides Kya that is) aren't very likely. It turns out, that trying to find same-age friends of Korra who weren't paired up by the end of the show is actually pretty difficult to do.

Yeah, it will be a contest between incompetent jerk-guy Raiko and scarily-efficient jerk-gal Zhu Li.

I joke, but I'd actually be torn by such a choice in real life. Is it better for a corrupt leader to be good at being corrupt or bad?

Ah, but there's another factor to consider. President Zhu Li comes with an wildcard. First Man Varrick.

Just picture it, Varrick's chaotic creative energy and total disregard for the consequences of his own actions... but now with political power and Presidential pardons!

Behold, the man who will decide what cookies RC eats!

Sig by Guitarfreak.
Nausicaa
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #559 on: Jul 14, 2017 01:32 am »

EDIT: Apparently basically the whole comic has been leaked due to previews across various Amazon websites? Gosh.

Turns out that between Amazon and the Entertainment Weekly preview from a while back, there's a grand total of 38 pages available online (out of an 80-page comic). It seems weirdly excessive? And it's pretty spoilery- it even includes the last few pages! Because of that, I'll try to be careful about discussing the contents too much, because of the 'no spoilers' tag in the thread title. KorraNews.com has compiled all the officially released pages into one masterpost, if you're interested. (I know Amazon's 'preview' function sometimes makes it difficult to view all the available pages.)

Looking through them, I have to say that I'm not a fan of the art. I'm disappointed, because some of Koh's preview pictures actually looked pretty nice, but seeing so many pages all together makes it clear that the quality is inconsistent. Some parts look rushed- it's like the drawing quality deteriorates after the initial section about Korra and Asami's vacation. And several characters just look off.

(There's also an odd continuity error with the TV show, where we see the interior of a building and it looks totally different.)

The colouring is very nice though.

The dialog feels like a retcon because it is a retcon. Mike is trying to establish an earlier relationship to make the intensity of their relationship in the comic actually make sense. Because we all know that telling is the best way to establish a story.

Yeah, it's frustrating how much this feels like it's just trying to paper over the existing problems with the relationship in the TV show. I would have preferred it if they'd at least taken the weaknesses from the show into account, and instead made this about Korra and Asami starting to fall for each other. (Plus it'd at least give Asami some time to breathe after losing her father.)

Furthermore, the following panels contradict the show as well. I believe it had already been proven that Korra had only sent "one" letter to Asami during her time away, and now they are going back and pluralizing it to be "letters". They also are trying to emphasize how bad Asami felt during those three years. I can understand Korra not visiting...but Asami really had no excuse in that three year span. It's so obvious what Mike and Bryan are trying to do, that's kind of funny in a sad way.

I think they mean Asami writing multiple letters, but Korra's comment just says that she was "the only one [she] wrote to" while she was away. Which is ambiguous, but still allows for the "one letter" interpretation. (Which is the version that makes the most sense anyway. Though I always thought it was kind of weird that Korra managed to write fake letters to her dad but couldn't manage some evasive notes to her friends.) And yeah, emphasizing Asami's feelings just raises questions about why she didn't visit Korra.

My only guess is that Asami had an very sheltered life up until that day she ran into Mako with her moped and as an result, she has very, very different ideas of what qualifies as being "Just as intense" as the Avatar herself. Smiley

Well this is Korra's own description in the comic, rather than Asami's.   Huh  Though I agree that her idea of stuff was probably very different from Korra's at the start of the show.  Smiley

Yeah, I think that would be an interesting way to reintroduce those characters. Though, I suspect they probably wouldn't consider Hasook that way- if I remember correctly, he was originally supposed to have a wife and kids that were cut for time. (Though I always thought he'd be about the same age as Mako/ Bolin.) The Avatar Wiki just says 'family and kids' though, so maybe...?   Smiley

Either Haook's age was retconned and he's now late-teens/early-twenties like the Krew now or Hasook is the young single dad whose looking for love again? But yeah, the chances of Hasook or Tahno being the already introduced, still living LGBT characters (besides Kya that is) aren't very likely. It turns out, that trying to find same-age friends of Korra who weren't paired up by the end of the show is actually pretty difficult to do.

Yeah, honestly it's kind of telling that when the creators announced the franchise's first same-sex pairing, it was between two characters who had dated the same guy  Cheesy There was a tendency to pair all the young characters off at some point- even Meelo got a ship tease with that flower girl.

Hasook being a young single dad looking for love again sounds fun. But who will he choose? Tahno, who is trying to settle down after the wild party days of his youth? Mako, who has experience 'parenting'? Uhh... one of the many Beifongs?
« Last Edit: Jul 14, 2017 01:54 am by Nausicaa » Logged

Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Do the thing!

« Reply #560 on: Jul 14, 2017 03:48 pm »

I think they mean Asami writing multiple letters, but Korra's comment just says that she was "the only one [she] wrote to" while she was away. Which is ambiguous, but still allows for the "one letter" interpretation. (Which is the version that makes the most sense anyway. Though I always thought it was kind of weird that Korra managed to write fake letters to her dad but couldn't manage some evasive notes to her friends.) And yeah, emphasizing Asami's feelings just raises questions about why she didn't visit Korra.

Well, its possible Mako had finally used up all those vacation days during the last two books, while Bolin was too busy between Kuvira's army and various Varrick shenanigans to find time to visit the South Pole. Doesn't explain why Asami couldn't visit at least once though in those three years. She somehow found time away from her company to get involved in the Water Tribe's war, go on an lengthy trip finding airbenders with the Krew, visiting the Metal Clan, traveling to Ba Sing Se ect.     

Yeah, honestly it's kind of telling that when the creators announced the franchise's first same-sex pairing, it was between two characters who had dated the same guy  Cheesy There was a tendency to pair all the young characters off at some point- even Meelo got a ship tease with that flower girl.

Hasook being a young single dad looking for love again sounds fun. But who will he choose? Tahno, who is trying to settle down after the wild party days of his youth? Mako, who has experience 'parenting'? Uhh... one of the many Beifongs?

I'm really starting to love the idea of Tahno trying to put his crazy life as an celebrity behind him and wanting to settle down with Family Man Hasook. Sounds like the feel-good romantic-comedy of the year. Smiley As for Mako, he would make an good step-parent, but I like to think Hasook is still bitter about that breakup after all these years and that ship has sailed. Cheesy

And one of the Beifong siblings... actually, yeah, after the fan-favorite probenders, Opal and her brothers are the only other peers of Korrasami that I could really name as potential LGBT characters. And I doubt Bopal is going to break up anytime soon in the comics, so that leaves Huan and the twins. Maybe after Opal moved to Air Temple Island, one of her brothers decide to follow her example and move to RC as well, maybe finding love in the process?  Huh 

Sig by Guitarfreak.
ViridianIV
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #561 on: Jul 14, 2017 05:54 pm »

Standing in present day where there are cars and roads EVERYWHERE it's sometimes easy to forget that traveling from your home to the north or south pole on a whim isn't actually as simple or convenient as you may think.  There's no indication that Avatar's world is any smaller than ours and that we aren't just being spared the months of travel time between traveling via creative liscence in the show/comics etc. (that's actually an inconsistency that does continue to get harder and harder to pin down the longer the series progresses... but it does avoid making the series an endless string of travelogues)  Could Be Asami was planning a trip, but was tied down with work, simple as that, it's not uncommon for family in different contenants to go a decade without seeing each other so once the world stopped needing saving all over the characters stopped needing to plan extensive and time consuming trips.

Edit: A comment on the art.  We've been a bit spoiled by TLA's comics in terms of style and design.  MOST comic books you can't actually tell Jean Grey from Jean Grey from Emma Frost through the individual artists 'style' outside of identifying them via things like their costume and hair styles/colors.  Remove the lens of scrutiny by way of it being an Avatar comic and the art is still better than most of what comes out in Marvel and DC comics these days.
« Last Edit: Jul 14, 2017 05:56 pm by ViridianIV » Logged

\"That woman is my hero.\"
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #562 on: Jul 14, 2017 07:35 pm »

Um, Asami- as of Book Change- owns an airship with the capability of flying all over the world. Also, she can apparently just up and leave with no notice to go looking for Airbenders and stay away for weeks.

She can totally go down to the South Pole on a whim.

I think she was too busy in Republic City's brothels. Those lonely nights with no friends must have been tough.

ViridianIV
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #563 on: Jul 15, 2017 02:12 am »

Um, Asami- as of Book Change- owns an airship with the capability of flying all over the world. Also, she can apparently just up and leave with no notice to go looking for Airbenders and stay away for weeks.

She can totally go down to the South Pole on a whim.

I think she was too busy in Republic City's brothels. Those lonely nights with no friends must have been tough.

Oh s**t, I forgot about the airship.... thing probably costs a fortune to keep fueled though you ask me... I'm not saying you couldn't cook up a plot contrivance to get her there... I'm just saying that 'realistically' it's not usually a simple 'well let's just go!' process to get from wherever one is in the world to the south pole... course we also mucked up our opportunity for zeppelins... and zeppelins really make cross global transport a lot more cost effective than what we use...

Uzuko
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #564 on: Jul 15, 2017 06:42 am »

Asami is both a plot device and plot black hole. Something's swing through her orbit, and others are just sucked in and lot forever including parts of Korra in Mike's attempt to build up Asami's character.
« Last Edit: Jul 15, 2017 06:44 am by Uzuko » Logged
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #565 on: Jul 15, 2017 09:33 am »

I mean, did the recent ATLA comics get much promotion? I'm guessing Dark Horse has an expectation on how much they expect to sell...which I imagine is not much.
There's gonna be a Korra comic panel at SDCC. Lifting this straight from Bryan's tumblr.

PANEL – The Comic Book Elements of Avatar and Korra
Sunday 23 July
12:00pm - 1:00pm
Room: 24ABC

Dark Horse and Nickelodeon are excited to treat fans to a panel worthy of Korra herself! Join the creative team behind The Legend of Korra: Turf Wars, Michael Dante DiMartino and Irene Koh, and the voice of Korra, Janet Varney, for a further exploration of the world. Fans will also have the opportunity to showcase their knowledge of the elements in a fun trivia competition for awesome prizes!

Confirmed Participants: Janet Varney (The Legend of Korra TV series), Irene Koh (The Legend of Korra: Turf Wars), Michael Dante DiMartino (Avatar: The Last Airbender)

-------

I'm just going hmm...

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
ViridianIV
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #566 on: Jul 15, 2017 01:22 pm »

Asami is both a plot device and plot black hole. Something's swing through her orbit, and others are just sucked in and lot forever including parts of Korra in Mike's attempt to build up Asami's character.

I'd argue that you're actually thinking about Mako... but to each their own.  Seriously though, Asami's not that bad... at WORST she was just 'inconsequential' which isn't really good OR bad... just ineffectual.  People boobed and barked how they needed to beef up her character role and get her more active in the story... and while season 3-4 is really late for that sort of work (and even there Asami tended to feel like an afterthought to Korra and Mako at least (Bolin stopped being of any consequence at all really outside of seasons 1 and 3) For me, the 'surprise romance' wasn't as surprising as all that because I HAD seen the things that they talk about as 'hinting' and just assumed them fan service, but I also really enjoyed it... but primarily because I've DESPISED Mako since season 1, and I just wish I could have seen the look on his face when he found out the two women he was trying to keep for himself were totally dating now.

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #567 on: Jul 15, 2017 03:06 pm »

Sadly, I agree that the Korra/Asami moments did really come across more as fan-service than anything. I think that's why the romance came as such a surprise to most people; the moments didn't so much depict any real friendship as just feel like nods towards something the fans like to talk about, like those moments when Zuko and Katara would react to with disgust to people assuming that they're dating.

It was foreshadowing without any actual storytelling.

ahintoflime
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #568 on: Jul 15, 2017 04:31 pm »

I'm just going hmm...

Is it because Bryan's says something different that your initial link at the top of the page? Where is says Aang and Bryan's says Korra?
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #569 on: Jul 15, 2017 07:20 pm »

^ No, my link has never mentioned Aang at all. That link is just a Korra signing comic at SDCC. The new link I posted is for a Korra comic panel at SDCC.

I'm just going hmm because I am not interested in a repeat of the kerfuffle they did online after the finale years ago.

ViridianIV
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #570 on: Jul 15, 2017 09:32 pm »

Sadly, I agree that the Korra/Asami moments did really come across more as fan-service than anything. I think that's why the romance came as such a surprise to most people; the moments didn't so much depict any real friendship as just feel like nods towards something the fans like to talk about, like those moments when Zuko and Katara would react to with disgust to people assuming that they're dating.

It was foreshadowing without any actual storytelling.

Well yeah, if everyone figures 'Nickelodeon would never allow for that sort of thing' and something seems 'fan-servicy' it can surprise people... but is it then suprising people because it was fan service?  Or were people just surprised because they live in an environment where fan service is common?  With no prior knowledge of what fan-service is, a person could assume 'those two must be flirting.'  

A lot of people like to say there was NO indication that anything was happening between the two, and yet long before the finale I was reading review after review with author's noting that they thought something was going on between Korra and Asami but thought that 'maybe I'm just reading to much into fan-service yada yada yada...'

As for 'foreshadowing without actual storytelling' well I'll go with show over tell any day of the week, even if it is perhaps a bit to minimalistic... especially since it kept all that horrid season 1 romance crap mostly absent from the series entirely.  Say what you like about who you'd rather Korra wind up with at the end... but the series was better off for having ignored the entire issue after season 1 than it would have been to pursue any romantic storytelling passed there since the writers clearly forgot how to write anything that wouldn't just detract from the rest of the narrative.

P.S.  And again... just... F%&# Mako, seriously, I hope he get's sad puppy eyes when he learns about it in the comics so I can go 'HAHAHAHAHA!'
« Last Edit: Jul 15, 2017 09:34 pm by ViridianIV » Logged

Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #571 on: Jul 15, 2017 11:14 pm »

Let's get back on topic with speculation of the comic.

Runamuck
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #572 on: Jul 16, 2017 04:07 am »

Finally, something interesting happening.

But besides the new previews we also have a new interview with Irene Koh:
http://www.scififantasynetwork.com/legend-korra-comics-irene-koh-interview/

But back to the new previews.
Finally we have something, anything, about the plot that the book is actually named for. With what most of the previous material had been about you’d almost think that there wasn’t any other plot besides the romance stuff. The bit about the amusement park still sounds oddly corny, but at least there is a financial reason for it. It’s also interesting to learn of even more triads than we had heard about before.

And now for some thoughts on the art.
It seems mostly fine.
There are some oddities about some characters hair. Tonraq is missing the gray stripes he had in his hair in book 4 and Mako is also back to his pre book 4 look. Then again, my brother jokingly suggested that Tonraq dyed his gray stripes, and you could make a half assed hand wave about Lin telling Mako to comb his hair for a more formal look with the royal bodyguard duties.
While I don’t really have much to complain about with the art, it does maybe seem a bit on the generic side? The new gangster we see in the previews look very generic Asian gangster thugs even by the standards of the somewhat more colorful generic triad thugs we see in the series.
Also, on a somewhat odd note about the previews and the art, the pages contain surprisingly few of the panels that Koh has been showing off on her blog.
mmoon24
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #573 on: Jul 16, 2017 01:55 pm »

Doesn't the cover of Turf Wars have Mako with his hair formal? But in the actual content his hair is back to its casual look? An oversight?
ViridianIV
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #574 on: Jul 16, 2017 01:58 pm »

Has anyone who doesn't like the art made any 'Koh the face stealer' jokes yet?  Or has it always just been to on the nose?  

Personally it seems to me like she knows what she's doing.  I think indication of movement/intent where elemental bending is probably of much greater importance in an Avatar comic than remaining 100% on point with the style of the cartoons.  Like she said in that interview there Animation is different from still drawings... and while they've done a good enough job of capturing both in TLA comics... I'm just not to concerned with the style changing a bit.  I mean it's not like anyone is 'unrecognizable' in these images.  Everyone is on model enough to be recognizable so it's not going to bug me.

Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: