Aug 16, 2017 02:41 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Legend of Korra Comics [Turf Wars, Part 1 speculation thread] (NO spoilers!)  (Read 44712 times)
Raimundo
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #525 on: May 25, 2017 08:20 pm »

Anyone think there's hope, with the growing danger of the criminal gangs, that we'll see some of their culture and background? Like full The Godfather, Part II-style flashbacks and explorations of their code and lifestyles?

Not with the first couple of comics, I don't think. However, that does make me think of how much story potential there is in Republic City. Part of me is really surprised by how slow the comics are being released.
Nausicaa
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #526 on: May 26, 2017 02:57 am »

But it'd bring him one step closer to my "secret history with Hasook" theory  Cheesy

This would make Mako about 400% more interesting, so I'm all for it.

Grin Grin Grin

And you get to be Bi! And you get to be Bi! Everyone is Bi!

Seriously, I can't believe there is that much focus on this nonsense. I would've preferred if the world of Avatar was just "whatever" to people being homosexual. Now it makes the ending to Book 4 even more awkward, because Korra and Asami seemed comfortable with one another.

I'm all for the two developing their relationship in the first part of this series, but I really do not want it to bog down to "Dur, they hate us, cause they ain't us". Avatar has turned from a story about adventures and action to a political agenda driven comic.

I'm not ready to condemn it like this before the comic comes out. It might be a well-told, good-impact story that actually justifies its own existence. (Certainly, the AtLA comics have failed to offer any justification for existing beyond being More.) And it almost has to be more interesting than the Evil Amusement Park plot.

Granted, I don't think the Mike is likely to tell a particularly good version of that story given the existing setup, but as an engineer, I can't just dismiss remote possibilities.
[/quote]

I'm hoping that as I don't really care for the central relationship (at least, not in the material provided so far), at least I might find one of these other LGBT characters interesting/ well-handled. And I'm hoping the Evil Amusement Park thing is better than its filler-episode-sounding description.

Anyone think there's hope, with the growing danger of the criminal gangs, that we'll see some of their culture and background? Like full The Godfather, Part II-style flashbacks and explorations of their code and lifestyles?

Yeah, I hope we get a lot more Triad info. I really wish we'd gotten more on them in the show. One thing that sounds interesting is how the Triple Threats are clearly a multi-bender organisation, but the Red Monsoons and Agni Kais stick exclusively to one element. Would be interesting to see if there's reasoning for that- say, old wartime prejudices that refuse to go away, or because they originated in other countries- and how it affects their operations/ relationships to each other. (Interesting thought- is the Triple Threat Triad the only one that would have accepted both Mako and Bolin?)

Part of me is really surprised by how slow the comics are being released.

Yeah, I'm surprised by how slow it's been, considering that they announced them just a few months after the show ended. (Though... I guess they were very early in development then?) But it got delayed because the artist had to drop out, and then I think the new artist needed an extension. But it's weird considering how smoothly the ATLA comics tend to come out.

mmoon24
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #527 on: May 26, 2017 10:41 am »

Well, 72 pages x 3 assuming that's how many books we get out of this arc. I think it's possible, but it will probably just be about the villain's motivations and background more than anything else.
Runamuck
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #528 on: Jun 08, 2017 12:04 pm »

Since I was posting about something else and there hasn’t been any other news we have a little picture from Koh again:
http://prom-knight.tumblr.com/post/161054771603/bebby-bebby-eat-dis
Got to wonder if Rohan will show any signs of bending, or maybe he’ll actually get to say something. After all, Tom-Tom got to talk in the comics.
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #529 on: Jun 08, 2017 04:52 pm »

That's some mighty fine hair.

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Nausicaa
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #530 on: Jun 11, 2017 12:45 pm »

Well, 72 pages x 3 assuming that's how many books we get out of this arc. I think it's possible, but it will probably just be about the villain's motivations and background more than anything else.

Based on the available plot descriptions and interviews, the trilogy will involve-

- Pompous developer plans to turn spirit portal into amusement park
- Triads have reemerged and are fighting where the evacuated RC citizens are currently located (new characters Tokuga and Wonyong)
- Zhu Li sets her eyes on the presidency during the housing crisis
- Korra and Asami deal with their new relationship

That's quite a bit of stuff, so I'm guessing the story threads will converge in some way. (Developer has triad ties, for example, or some of the criminals will reform towards the end and help with the housing problem).

Since I was posting about something else and there hasn’t been any other news we have a little picture from Koh again:
http://prom-knight.tumblr.com/post/161054771603/bebby-bebby-eat-dis
Got to wonder if Rohan will show any signs of bending, or maybe he’ll actually get to say something. After all, Tom-Tom got to talk in the comics.

Maybe we'll get to see what its like when a child first develops bending? I could see it being a comedic mini-plot with Tenzin trying to coax Rohan into proving whether he can bend or not. I also wonder if that picture is from the second volume.

Runamuck
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #531 on: Jun 12, 2017 07:09 am »

It would be kind of interesting to know when bending usually starts to show itself. The earliest examples we have seen are probably Korra at age 4, but she is probably quite exceptional in that regard. Then again, we have Kiyi who with little to no training started showing bending, and she’s probably not much older that kora was. Rohan is in an age similar to Korra and most likely Kiyi too, so who knows.
plushu
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

157% PIANDAOIST

« Reply #532 on: Jun 16, 2017 10:19 pm »

It would be kind of interesting to know when bending usually starts to show itself. The earliest examples we have seen are probably Korra at age 4, but she is probably quite exceptional in that regard. Then again, we have Kiyi who with little to no training started showing bending, and she’s probably not much older that kora was. Rohan is in an age similar to Korra and most likely Kiyi too, so who knows.

Toph learned to earthbend when she was a toddler.  There's an interview on the site from about ten years ago where they talk about this. I think they said something along the lines of, if you're 5 and you haven't shown signs of bending, then you're not a bender.

Runamuck
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #533 on: Jun 17, 2017 07:05 am »

Time for a little new stuff from Koh’s blog:
http://prom-knight.tumblr.com/post/161912065243/unrelated-panels-but-good-faces-i-liked-while
We have three new panels of some ladies from the comic book.

We also have a convention schedule from Koh:
http://prom-knight.tumblr.com/post/161862389993/consigning-schedule-2017
And a slightly more detailed post about the Queer Comic Expo:
http://prom-knight.tumblr.com/post/161788323183/2017-queer-comics-expo
This certainly seems to be in the spirit of the promotion that there has been about the comic so far.

Uzuko
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #534 on: Jun 17, 2017 09:20 am »

Koh's facial expressions are particulalry wonky in these pictures.
« Last Edit: Jun 17, 2017 09:38 pm by Uzuko » Logged
Yougo
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Respect the Screaming bird!

« Reply #535 on: Jun 19, 2017 03:58 am »

^yeah they're odd. Kya seems to suffer from 'anime mouth' a bit, and while the last one is pretty, it just isn't korra?

sig by me.
keeper of: the Screaming bird's horrible shreak; The Bendig Mark.
Uzuko
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #536 on: Jun 19, 2017 06:48 am »

The mouth thing is true, and I think another problem is that anime emotes seem to be creeping their way into the designs. I'm pretty sure that stupid raised bang that Koh has added to some of Korra's pictures may become emotive.
Yougo
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #537 on: Jun 19, 2017 09:35 am »

^if it ever gets a mind of it's own, it could join The Mustache and The Russian beard

sig by me.
Nausicaa
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #538 on: Jun 25, 2017 06:35 pm »

Yeah, I'm not 100% sold on Koh's style for this comic. The preview pages from a while back were pretty, but I think that was more down to the colouring. (Admittedly, those pages didn't have much in terms of close-ups of faces.) I didn't like the convention poster she did.

Her tendency to exaggerate female characters' eyelashes looks a little odd on some characters, especially Korra. (And seems weird considering the show itself generally never did that kind of thing unless the character was wearing makeup.) Plus in some of her drawings, the head shape/ size and relationship to the neck seems off.

Weirdly, so far I get the vibe that her style is well suited to some of the characters... but not Korra, the main character.

The mouth thing is true, and I think another problem is that anime emotes seem to be creeping their way into the designs. I'm pretty sure that stupid raised bang that Koh has added to some of Korra's pictures may become emotive.

I sure hope not.  Cheesy

Fire Rose
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #539 on: Jun 26, 2017 01:58 pm »

Zhu Li's running for president? I got the perfect slogan for her

Zhu Li 2019: She'll do the thing.
Nausicaa
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #540 on: Jun 26, 2017 08:08 pm »

Cheesy

I have a lot of questions about this subplot, to be honest.

a) Is Zhu Li a citizen of the Republic? Did she originally come from there, or did she attain citizenship by moving there with Varrick in Book 4?

b) Running against somebody your husband tried to have kidnapped seems like a terrible idea. Like, Raiko would have immediate ammo to use against her- "you were an accomplice to an attempted kidnapping intended to start a war".

c) Running just a couple of months after spending 3 years aiding the woman who just destroyed half the city seems like a risky move. (I mean, apparently there were re-education camps and things going before Zhu Li quit....)

So, I kinda hope that Zhu Li will actually be kinda villainous in the comic- like, she's actually out to profit herself/ Varrick, rather than anything else. (Considering she aided Varrick in his shady business in Book 2, I feel like she's gotta have a bit of a dark side. Cheesy) Or, rather, have some partially selfish motivation behind it. Rather than being a clear-cut choice between jerk-guy Raiko and good-guy Zhu Li, it'd be nice if it was a bit more complicated than that.

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #541 on: Jun 26, 2017 09:34 pm »

Yeah, it will be a contest between incompetent jerk-guy Raiko and scarily-efficient jerk-gal Zhu Li.

I joke, but I'd actually be torn by such a choice in real life. Is it better for a corrupt leader to be good at being corrupt or bad?

luvavatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #542 on: Jun 26, 2017 09:40 pm »

I'd go with Zhu-Li. Raiko is always quick to place blame and never has a solution. It was quite satisfying in season 4 when Kuvira put him in his place, that should've been done a long time ago.
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Do the thing!

« Reply #543 on: Jul 03, 2017 10:30 pm »

Wait! Wait! Hold the phone!

Zhu Li is getting her own storyline in the comics and she's tackling RC's issues?

Cheesy

a) Is Zhu Li a citizen of the Republic? Did she originally come from there, or did she attain citizenship by moving there with Varrick in Book 4?

That's an good question. Zhu Li typically wears purple and blue outfits, suggesting she has Water Tribe heritage at least. As for where she came from... your guess is as good as mine.  Huh

I like to think she just kinda showed up one day at Varrick Industries for an job interview, with no resume, no references and just never left.

Varrick: "So where did you come from?"

Zhu Li: "I let myself in."

Varrick: "When?"

Zhu Li: "After you hired me."

Varrick: "I hired you?!"

Zhu Li: "I accept."

Varrick: "...Excellent! Zhu Li, do the thing!"

So, I kinda hope that Zhu Li will actually be kinda villainous in the comic- like, she's actually out to profit herself/ Varrick, rather than anything else. (Considering she aided Varrick in his shady business in Book 2, I feel like she's gotta have a bit of a dark side. Cheesy) Or, rather, have some partially selfish motivation behind it.

I second that! Grin

Considering Zhu Li's own husband lovingly calls her an cold, heartless war machine, I don't expect Zhu Li to be anything less than merciless in her methods, no matter how well-intended her motives might be. Zhu Li could very well end up winning the election because she's proven to be the lesser of evils when compared to her opponents.

But it'd bring him one step closer to my "secret history with Hasook" theory  Cheesy

That would line up perfectly with my "Hasook is dating his band-mate Tahno now" theory. Cheesy

Sig by Guitarfreak.
Nausicaa
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #544 on: Jul 04, 2017 09:35 am »

Wait! Wait! Hold the phone!

Zhu Li is getting her own storyline in the comics and she's tackling RC's issues?

Yep! It's mentioned in the synopsis for Part 2.

Cheesy

That's an good question. Zhu Li typically wears purple and blue outfits, suggesting she has Water Tribe heritage at least. As for where she came from... your guess is as good as mine.  Huh

Yeah, plus her surname is 'Moon', which sounds pretty Water Tribe-ish. Maybe they'll mention where she's originally from in the comic?

So, I kinda hope that Zhu Li will actually be kinda villainous in the comic- like, she's actually out to profit herself/ Varrick, rather than anything else. (Considering she aided Varrick in his shady business in Book 2, I feel like she's gotta have a bit of a dark side. Cheesy) Or, rather, have some partially selfish motivation behind it.

I second that! Grin

Considering Zhu Li's own husband lovingly calls her an cold, heartless war machine, I don't expect Zhu Li to be anything less than merciless in her methods, no matter how well-intended her motives might be. Zhu Li could very well end up winning the election because she's proven to be the lesser of evils when compared to her opponents.

Yeah!  Smiley Plus so much bad stuff happened while Raiko was in charge, people might gravitate towards someone new. (Even if a lot of the bad stuff that happened during Raiko's time was not really his fault.)

But it'd bring him one step closer to my "secret history with Hasook" theory  Cheesy

That would line up perfectly with my "Hasook is dating his band-mate Tahno now" theory. Cheesy

I don't see why not  Wink

Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Do the thing!

« Reply #545 on: Jul 04, 2017 04:29 pm »

Yeah, plus her surname is 'Moon', which sounds pretty Water Tribe-ish. Maybe they'll mention where she's originally from in the comic?

Daughter of Yue confirmed!

Maybe we'll find out Zhu Li grew up in the same circus that spirited away Varrick in his very traumatizing childhood. Cheesy

*I think that at least one of these is going to be Kya, because Koh posted a panel of her a while back. She's the only other (living) character that Bryke have said is LGBT, so it seems like a safe bet that they'll use the comic to establish that. Think there'll be any others? (Already introduced characters that are LGBT, that is.)

Honestly, out of all the Avatar's (surprisingly few) peers who weren't in an relationship during the series' run, I think Hasook and Tahno would be good candidates to be established LGBT characters. Hasook's defining character moment was quitting pro-bending after a fight with his teammate. Maybe Hasook is someone who has trouble trusting others and talking about his feelings? While Tahno has been established as somebody whose biggest concern in life was his image as an probending superstar. So going public with an new boyfriend would probably be difficult for Tahno, even if his athletic career had ended years ago. Maybe If Korra and Asami are looking to Kya for advice on coming out to their friends and family, then Tahno and Hasook could in turn, look at Korrasami and be inspired to be open about their own relationship as well.

I know none of that is likely to happen in the comics, but I think the possibility is there if the writers ever wanted to explore those characters again in the future.

Sig by Guitarfreak.
Yougo
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #546 on: Jul 05, 2017 12:01 am »

While 'Moon' is quite likely water tribe, it's vague enough to fit in with 'jon Snow' or 'Valiria Sand', if you catch my drift. Air Nomads dont even bother with surnames.

sig by me.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #547 on: Jul 05, 2017 06:59 pm »

At the same time, "Moon" sounds like what someone would take as a last name if they wanted to seem Water Tribe. It's like "Wang Fire."

So, Sokka's illegitimate grand-daughter?

mmoon24
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #548 on: Jul 06, 2017 11:28 am »

Interestingly enough, most folks I know with the last name "Moon" (outside of myself) are of Korean descent. Given Zhu-Li looks "Asian", I wouldn't be surprised if her origins traced back to either the Fire Nation or Earth Kingdom.
Uzuko
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #549 on: Jul 07, 2017 09:34 pm »

I'm finding it odd that we are 30 days out from the comic's release date, but I can't find any new news or marketing about it.
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: