Oct 19, 2017 08:36 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Legend of Korra Comics [Turf Wars, Part 1 speculation thread] (NO spoilers!)  (Read 47707 times)
Runamuck
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #475 on: Mar 20, 2017 02:08 pm »

Bad news, there will apparently be some delays in regard to Turf Wars release:
http://prom-knight.tumblr.com/post/158532679078/the-legend-of-korra-turf-wars-part-one-release

Nausicaa
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #476 on: Mar 25, 2017 11:15 am »

Hey, it's a better sign than Bolin being on the cover and prominent. Cheesy

Twist: Bolin gets more page time than any other character.  Cheesy

On the second cover, I'm guessing the guy in the background in some kind of spirit/ merged with a spirit, because he looks so weird.

I find it a little odd that the synopsis describes Zhu Li as Korra's friend- I mean, I guess they're on friendly terms? But I don't remember them really talking or anything. Also, Zhu Li is running against a guy her husband very publicly tried to have kidnapped.  Cheesy

Does anybody know where more info about this could be found? The blogger that I usually follow for these kinds of things decided to push the self-destruct button on their blog… again… so that not of any help for that at the moment. So, do you know any good sources for news on the avatar comics?

I'm not sure, to be honest. Mike doesn't post about the comics all that often, even when there is new info.

Runamuck
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #477 on: Mar 26, 2017 11:31 am »

I'm not sure, to be honest. Mike doesn't post about the comics all that often, even when there is new info.

I wouldn’t really bet on getting much usable news about the comics from Mike or Bryan. They usually aren’t the first to post about that.
The best direct source I have about comic info is Koh’s own blog:
http://prom-knight.tumblr.com/

The best indirect source I normally use for comic news is this site:
http://avatarthelastairbenderonline.com/
They often have good stuff, but at times they don’t have all the necessary info or is missing some details.

The defunct blogs that I were referring to earlier were https://avatarkorrapark.tumblr.com/ and later https://thelegendofvoltron.tumblr.com/
As far as I could tell they were run by the same person, but I lost track of them when the second one self-destructed. This was usually the place where I could find rumors and more interesting details.

Otherwise I pick up news when I randomly run across it.

Does anybody else have any “strategy” for finding Avatar news?
ahintoflime
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #478 on: Mar 26, 2017 12:42 pm »

Hey, it's a better sign than Bolin being on the cover and prominent. Cheesy

Twist: Bolin gets more page time than any other character.  Cheesy

This is an eventuality since, based on the synopsis, Zhu Li winning means Varrick wins which means that Bolin tags along because.

It is really something else that so many things just happen to allow these characters to keep taking up attention.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #479 on: Mar 27, 2017 05:45 pm »

I find it a little odd that the synopsis describes Zhu Li as Korra's friend- I mean, I guess they're on friendly terms? But I don't remember them really talking or anything.

Hey, I'm still trying to figure out when Korra and Asami actually became friends.

Just because Korra is socially-challenged doesn't mean she can't hold you dearly in her heart. Grin

Red Hawk
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #480 on: Mar 27, 2017 10:27 pm »

They could be turning her into an actual Mary Sue that everyone just likes now that she's more docile and not so argumentative anymore...
Nausicaa
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #481 on: Mar 28, 2017 12:34 pm »

Does anybody else have any “strategy” for finding Avatar news?

This blog still seems to be running: korranews.com. You can follow it on tumblr.

Fig
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #482 on: Apr 07, 2017 11:43 am »

[/quote]

This blog still seems to be running: korranews.com. You can follow it on tumblr.
[/quote]

Thanks for posting this. I didn't know about this one.

Also I am looking really forward to the comic, which looks good in the preview pages, but the cover bothers me. Bolin doesn't look like himself.

"...you will find that if you look for the light, you can often find it. But if you look for the dark, that is all you will ever see." - Uncle Iroh
Nausicaa
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #483 on: Apr 07, 2017 12:34 pm »

The cover art is being drawn by a different artist, so Bolin might look more like himself in the story. Though I think the only in-comic picture of Bolin released so far is this one:

mmoon24
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #484 on: Apr 07, 2017 02:06 pm »

Mako has his old hair back? And should he really be driving with only one arm? That's abuse of police powers right there.
Fig
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #485 on: Apr 07, 2017 05:25 pm »

I also like see that Bolin joined the police force. Lin might have her work cut out for her...at least in the frustration department. lol.

"...you will find that if you look for the light, you can often find it. But if you look for the dark, that is all you will ever see." - Uncle Iroh
Nausicaa
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #486 on: Apr 07, 2017 07:12 pm »

Mako has his old hair back? And should he really be driving with only one arm? That's abuse of police powers right there.

Yeah, it's odd- he has his Book 4 hair on the cover, but both pictures released of the interior art show him with his old hair. I liked his old hair better anyway.

Also, yeah, he probably shouldn't be driving.  Cheesy

I also like see that Bolin joined the police force. Lin might have her work cut out for her...at least in the frustration department. lol.

Yeah  Cheesy Because this storyline involves both brothers going after the triads (I think) I hope we get some more info about their childhoods.

Runamuck
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #487 on: Apr 08, 2017 05:48 am »

Thanks for the link, but that was actually one of those places that I check in on a bit at random. Not a bad blog for that purpose though. And sorry for not saying anything about it sooner.

There is a new picture from Koh:
http://prom-knight.tumblr.com/post/159320153703/kranky-korra
Korra in a bad mood. Maybe she didn’t take the news about the little delay well.

I hadn’t thought much about the picture about Mako and Bolin. Funny thing, driving like a broken arm is a rather common phrase in Danish, and it’s certainly not a compliment. Then again, have we ever seen any evidence of Bolin having a driver’s license, or at least experience driving. We have at least seen Mako drive motorcycle once.

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #488 on: Apr 10, 2017 09:22 pm »

Is there such a thing as a driver's license in the Avatar world?

Yougo
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Respect the Screaming bird!

« Reply #489 on: Apr 12, 2017 07:43 am »

^bolin got one of those army-drivers licenses from when he enlisted in Kuvira's army. get a truck one lap around the flagpole without hitting anything and you're all set.

Driver's licenses didn't really exist in the 1900's-1930's in our universe though avatarverse vehicles and other tech appear to be more powerful than ours, so who knows. with the average rate of traffic incidents in RC, it won't be long before Lin comes up with some sort of system i think. (thanks a lot korra)

there's a reason these exist:

keeper of: the Screaming bird's horrible shreak; The Bendig Mark.
Fig
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #490 on: Apr 13, 2017 05:38 pm »

I could see Bolin driving one of those around...with a big smile on his face.  Grin

Runamuck
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #491 on: Apr 23, 2017 10:44 am »

So, has no one else taken a look at the things Koh has posted recently? Well, there some new things.

She has updated her FAQ a bit, including a few questions about Avatar shipping:
http://prom-knight.tumblr.com/post/159834736183/faq

The most competent ladies in Republic City:
http://prom-knight.tumblr.com/post/159814694023/the-most-competent-ladies-in-republic-city

And a picture of Lin doing paper work:
http://prom-knight.tumblr.com/post/159522387578/huh
This one might actually make for some good caption contest material.

And some judo related fan art:
http://prom-knight.tumblr.com/post/159731039803/i-had-to-draw-a-huge-construction-site-scene-and
The caption might be related to Turf Wars.

mmoon24
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #492 on: Apr 24, 2017 10:56 am »

That judo outfit looks pretty cool. My only complaint...and I know it's fan-art, and I am no expert on a woman's anatomy, but Korra's boob looks insanely huge lol.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #493 on: Apr 24, 2017 05:50 pm »

"The most competent ladies in Republic City"

I have to say, I was really pleased to click that link and not find Lin included in the picture.

#BookSpiritsNeverLiveItDown

ahintoflime
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #494 on: Apr 24, 2017 10:24 pm »

That judo outfit looks pretty cool. My only complaint...and I know it's fan-art, and I am no expert on a woman's anatomy, but Korra's boob looks insanely huge lol.

God's in His Heaven, all's right with the world.

I have to say, I was really pleased to click that link and not find Lin included in the picture.

The only person that should be in that picture would then be Zhu Li. Asami should not be included considering what happened...didn't happen in Book Spirits.
Old School
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #495 on: Apr 25, 2017 11:24 am »

The only person that should be in that picture would then be Zhu Li. Asami should not be included considering what happened...didn't happen in Book Spirits.

Nah, I think it's accurate in that Asami is the second most competent lady in Republic City. Unless you count Kuvira, which you shouldn't, because she's not from Republic City...and also because she lost.

Pema is a close third, if only because she's managed to raise 3 (going on 4) kids in the Avatarverse and none of them have suffered any major emotional trauma or brain damage. So far. Actually that's a pretty impressive accomplishment, so go ahead and bump her up to #2. Sorry Asami.
Runamuck
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #496 on: May 01, 2017 03:08 am »

Time for another news update:

There is a new description for the plot of part two of Turf Wars, although I unfortunately don’t have a proper source for it Now with source:
https://bnccatalist.ca/viewtitle.aspx?ean=9781506700403
"Recovering from the fight and furious for revenge, Triple Threats member Tokuga solidifies his ties with the duplicitous Wonyong.  
Meanwhile, when Republic City’s housing crisis reaches its peak, Zhu Li sets her sights on the biggest public figure in the city—President Raiko—in a bid for the presidency! With her friend’s success, the future of the spirit portal, and the wellbeing of Republic City’s citizens at stake, can Korra remain neutral and fulfill her duties as the Avatar?"

Speaking of the various parts of the comic, Irene Koh will unfortunately not be of much help when it comes to info about release dates, she just has her own deadlines:
http://prom-knight.tumblr.com/post/159922057073/hey-im-so-excited-for-the-comics-to-come-out

One fan of Koh’s work would like to know if Turf Wars would be suitable for readers not familiar with the series:
http://prom-knight.tumblr.com/post/159922124238/hi-irene-im-a-big-fan-of-your-work-but-have-no

Who is smarter? Asami or Varrick?
http://prom-knight.tumblr.com/post/159996084808/heres-a-good-one-who-do-you-think-is-smarter

A question of diversity:
http://prom-knight.tumblr.com/post/159996984158/a-question-i-received-on-askfm-that-i-thought

Some warm up fanart:
http://prom-knight.tumblr.com/post/160042258778/todays-warm-up

Which LOK character is the hardest to draw?
http://prom-knight.tumblr.com/post/160103662243/in-your-opinion-which-character-from-turf-wars

And it looks like we might need a security plumber:
https://twitter.com/kohquette/status/858468827750817792

Sorry about the double post, but the spam filter wouldn’t let me post the last link.

And in an odd sidetrack from the leak, I saw something about it being a review copy that was leaked, so it might be an idea to keep an eye on any upcoming reviews. Doing a quick little search on some character names I actually managed to find a review, for better or for worse the review is in Portuguese, judging from a quick Google translate of the headline it’s a review without spoilers: ~snip~

Edit:
Why does the spam filter hate links from ~snip~?

Edit:
Since things didn’t work out quite as I wanted it, I just have to make some use of this post in a better way, so time for a quick translation, I guess.

Straight from Google translate with some minor editing in regards to names:

[REVIEW] Turf Wars, part 1 - The Legend of Korra (NO SPOILERS)

By Redação ~snip~ Published April 28, 2017, Updated April 30, 2017

EDIT [29/04/2017]: ~snip~ DID NOT leak the page Korra and Asami kiss | ~snip~ has NOT leaked the page where Korra and Asami kiss.

The Legend of Korra:
Turf Wars, part 1

Author: Michael Dante DiMartino
Artist: Irene Koh
Colorist: Jane Bak, Vivian Ng
Cover artist: Irene Koh, Heather Campbell
Genre: Fantasy, Action / Adventure

Publisher: Dark Horse Comics
Price: US $ 10.99 (~ US $ 15)
Number of pages: 80
Release Date: July 2017

Writing 5/5
Art 5/5
Story 4/5
Context with the series 4/5
(Overall) 4.5/5

Synopsis

Appreciating their new relationship, Korra and Asami leave the spiritual world ... But they find in City Republic high political mischief and the conflict human vs. Spirits!

A pompous entrepreneur plans to turn the new spiritual portal into an amusement park, potentially cutting off an already tumultuous connection with the spirits. In addition, the triads have realigned and are in a brutal fight on all frontiers of the city - where hundreds of evacuees have moved!

Written by the co-creator of the series Michael Dante DiMartino and designed by Irene Koh (Secret Origins: Batgirl, Afrina and the Glass Coffin), with consultation of Bryan Konietzko, this is the official continuation of The Legend of Korra!

Review

Well, folks, for fans of The Legend of Korra, this comic is something that has sparked a lot of interest in our fandom. The animated series ends last season in a similar way to the previous ones, but eh? Think about me, all seasons have had their own villains, with presentation, development and outcome of the arc of the character. With this in mind, it is to be expected that the universe of Korra would not be eternally safe, and this is what we see the authors exploring in "Turf Wars, Part 1".

Initially released on the Dark Horse panel in the 2015 San Diego Comic Con, the new comic explores Korra's relationship with Asami, and I was really surprised at the way the issue was approached, revealing the reality of many young people in the days of today. We had the change from the artist responsible for the art: Irene Koh brings her style to this project, by the way, I found quite similar to the Avatar comics: the Legend of Aang for Nickmag, the magazine of Nickelodeon that circulated between the years 2005 and 2008. But let's go for what matters, the story.

The Legend of Korra ended with its two main characters, Korra and Asami, clutching hands and walking together through the portal to the World of Spirits for a few days off. We have a brief retrospective of the events of this vacation until Korra decides it is time to return. From that moment, it is possible to perceive the inclusion of the LGBT + cause, involving the view of this theme by both young and adults, with its positive and negative points
Back in the Republic City, we learn that a rich man, owner of the lands to which the new spiritual portal is installed, intends to turn that place into a tourist center visiting the world of spirits. This ends up reinforcing the disagreement of the spirits with the humans we have already seen during the animated series.

What has already been noticed by many fans from the cover of the magazine, a brief situation of territorial dispute in the suburbs of Republic City presents Bolin as police partner of the Mako, who are now part of the Trial Combat Force of Chief Lin Beifong . This parallel theme is indicated to be the key point of the whole trilogy.

The friends of Korra, all those secondary characters in Book 3 - Change, are leading the process of restoring the Kuvira mess and are doing an incredible job. Korra and Asami help, along with President Raiko, who is more concerned with his re-election than with the well-being of the population.

As is common in any relationship - especially when involving a same-sex couple - that typical situation of making the couple public or not is expected. Some adult characters excel at discussing the topic with the girls. We learned about how this was reflected in past times.

The climax of Part 1 has, as the name says, involving a dispute over territory. How will our characters deal with it? What will be the consequences of the spirits? It seems that the situation has escaped somewhat from control! Stay tuned, "Turf Wars, part 1" launches in all American stores on August 8th.

The inclusion of LGBT characters on TV shows that the creators of the shows are "paying attention" to changes in the country's culture and in the entertainment industry itself. Series like these are indicators that the audience embraces the gay cause and wants to know their stories.

By far, this is one of the best-developed stories that have been adapted to comics. "The Search" is still my favorite trilogy, but I see that "Turf Wars" has everything to give a dignified continuity to this incredible series.

Where to buy?

The comic is available on Amazon's website, due out August 8 of that year.

I hope this is at least understandable.

Double post merged. ~ Icy
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017 05:39 am by Icy_Ashford » Logged
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #497 on: May 01, 2017 09:54 am »

Edit: Why does the spam filter hate links from ~snip~?
Sites with history of providing illegal links to episode downloads or leaks have known to be added to the spam filter.

Trial Combat Force
I'm gonna assume it's a typo there and it means Triad Combat Force instead?

The review doesn't say a whole lot of the story & characters though. Some rich guy tries to make an amusement park and the triads are having territorial disputes. So? What else? Is the story intriguing? Are the spirits threatened in any way? Any character development?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017 05:38 am by Icy_Ashford » Logged

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Runamuck
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #498 on: May 01, 2017 10:18 am »

Ah, that sounds like a good reason for the filter to react.
At first I just thought that I had too many links in a single post, hence why I tried splitting it up. I found the review while looking for a source for the summary of part two of Turf wars. Admittedly the site also helped with that.

The Trail Combat Force is probably a translation error from Google translate. Most of my editing was the translator getting the story names wrong.
mmoon24
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #499 on: May 01, 2017 10:43 am »

That review really doesn't tell me much. Agree with Icy.

And I will contend with Koh on who is smarter, Asami or Varrick. Varrick has more of the "business" sense. No way he gets a company to be as big as Varrick Industries without having SOME business acumen. And correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Varrick responsible for the blueprints for the Spirit Cannon and the hummingbird suits? He might not be the one who does the nitty, gritty details, but he clearly is a smart dude.

Far as Asami goes. Well, she was able to rebound her father's company after it was left to her...but not before handing it over to Varrick so stupidly. She did play some big role in developing the trains, but that's all she has really accomplished?
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: