Aug 23, 2017 01:24 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « previous page   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Legend of Korra Comics [Turf Wars, Part 1 speculation thread] (NO spoilers!)  (Read 44944 times)
Nausicaa
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #575 on: Jul 17, 2017 12:21 am »

Doesn't the cover of Turf Wars have Mako with his hair formal? But in the actual content his hair is back to its casual look? An oversight?

Yeah, it's a little weird. I can get giving him his old hair back (like Runamuck said, you can explain it away as it just being part of being his bodyguard job). But it does seem like an oversight for the cover to have it the old way. I guess that's just a side-effect of getting a different artist to draw the cover so early on?

-------------

My issue with the art is not so much that the characters look off-model (though I do get the impression that Koh is more comfortable drawing some characters than others), so much as that the artwork seems inconsistent. Some parts look really good, but other parts look rough, especially in the later parts of the preview.

That said, I'd say that overall the artwork is still pretty decent. It's not as good as the FCBD Korra story was, but it's a lot better than some other tie-in comics. (The Voltron comics, for example, don't look very good at all.) It might be more of a personal preference thing, to be honest.

Has anyone who doesn't like the art made any 'Koh the face stealer' jokes yet?  Or has it always just been to on the nose? 

I hadn't thought of that  Cheesy

There are some oddities about some characters hair. Tonraq is missing the gray stripes he had in his hair in book 4 and Mako is also back to his pre book 4 look.

Yeah, it's a little weird that he's missing his grey stripes. I also noticed this (I assume it's okay to post this because it's in the previews and from an early part of the comic?):

Senna and Tonraq's dining room is completely different  Cheesy (There's an establishing panel showing that it's the same building, they haven't moved house or something.) As they live in a palace, I guess you could argue they have multiple rooms for eating?

(I also noticed that in the comic, they eat their food with forks, but in Korra Alone, Korra's family eat with chopsticks. But the Water Tribe banquet in Book 2 showed people eating with knives and forks, so I guess they use both.)

--------------------------------------

I'm disappointed that Mike opted to jump into the romance so quickly- I think it would have been better if they'd used the comics to work on the build-up more given that what happened in the show was pretty limited. I don't know whether he plans on sticking around for future Korra trilogies though, so maybe he felt obligated to get the Korrasami stuff out there ASAP so that he'd actually get to write some of it.

As I mentioned before, the retconning bugs me, and I'd have preferred it if they had acknowledged that the relationships presentation in the show had its issues, and instead used this comic to show them starting to fall for each other. The stuff Korra and Asami say in the comic about the timeline of their relationship makes it all the more glaring that some episodes missed basic opportunities to highlight their reactions/ responses in relation to each other. (Even simple things like showing a close-up of Asami during certain key scenes would have helped). Some of the early dialogue in the comic actually feels like stuff that should have been used for a segment of the clip show.

It's actually a little weird reading so much Korra/ Asami interaction. They only interacted in what, 4/13 episodes in Book 4? (5 if you count "when will the plasma saws be ready?")

-------------------

I hope Hiroshi's death is mentioned at some point. This comic is set relatively soon after the finale (Mako's arm is still busted), and it'd be weird if it had zero impact on Asami outside of a couple of lines of dialogue in the finale. (Especially since Korra drags her to see her parents.)
----------------------------

P.S.  And again... just... F%&# Mako, seriously, I hope he get's sad puppy eyes when he learns about it in the comics so I can go 'HAHAHAHAHA!'

From the previews, I can tell you whether Mako learns about it in the first comic or if it'll be in a later one: You can actually read that scene in the previews, it happens towards the end.

Antiyonder
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #576 on: Jul 17, 2017 12:32 am »

I hope Hiroshi's death is mentioned at some point. This comic is set relatively soon after the finale (Mako's arm is still busted), and it'd be weird if it had zero impact on Asami outside of a couple of lines of dialogue in the finale. (Especially since Korra drags her to see her parents.)

Not to mention that Korra's trying to reach out to the person responsible for his death.  If there's any good fuel for Korrasami, it would be that, but I'm betting the source of any early conflict would be cheap sitcom drama.
Yougo
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Respect the Screaming bird!

« Reply #577 on: Jul 17, 2017 01:17 am »

my guess is it's going to get the same treatment as anything else in this series. what broken avatar cycle? what domestic terrorist organisation? what civil war? what apocalyptic giant monster event? what international anarchistic terrorist assassin squad? what imperialist technomaniac?

if all these things can just disappear i guess a deceased father is just one more thing.

...OK maybe giant monsters aren't that odd in the avatarverse. i'll give you that one.

sig by me.
keeper of: the Screaming bird's horrible shreak; The Bendig Mark.
ahintoflime
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #578 on: Jul 17, 2017 09:58 am »

That said, I'd say that overall the artwork is still pretty decent. It's not as good as the FCBD Korra story was
Makani is a gift.

Not to mention that Korra's trying to reach out to the person responsible for his death.
Lin?

...OK maybe giant monsters aren't that odd in the avatarverse. i'll give you that one.
They are when they look that ridiculous and disappointing, respectively.
Uzuko
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #579 on: Jul 17, 2017 10:17 am »

Some of the early dialogue in the comic actually feels like stuff that should have been used for a segment of the clip show.

I really dislike Korra and Asami together as a whole because it seems that Mike is already writing it as the extension of the breaking and taming of Korra's character that took place during season's 3 and 4. I don't see the point of Asami commenting on Korra's fear during their initial drive (especially when Korra was so excited) save that Mike is trying to emphasize Korra's vulnerabilities. We can't have that shrew from the first two seasons making an appearance, except that Asami remarking that Korra's excitement was infectious would have been a far better line and actually more in line with the scene that was made in the television series.  
« Last Edit: Jul 17, 2017 10:34 am by Uzuko » Logged
unicornpowah
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #580 on: Jul 17, 2017 01:02 pm »

Something about Korra's character in this comic just feels off to me. Maybe my memory is faulty since I haven't seen the TV series since its finale, but Korra in this comic just feels a little...flat and lacking in energy that I was so used to seeing from her. I know she's supposed to be more mellow after her "character development", but even in Book 4 there's still some parts where she's still her snappy and energetic self we see from earlier books.

Yeah, there's some parts in the comic where Korra does act like what we see in the TV series (like that shot at Raiko) but her interactions with Asami and whenever their relationship is brought up with others is...meh. In the best way that I can describe it, it feels as if Korra acts way too soft in those moments. There's also a moment later in the comic where Korra acts uncharacteristically nervous and in a context that doesn't seem to make sense at all through the implications of other characters' actions.
mmoon24
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #581 on: Jul 17, 2017 01:49 pm »

Doesn't the cover of Turf Wars have Mako with his hair formal? But in the actual content his hair is back to its casual look? An oversight?

Yeah, it's a little weird. I can get giving him his old hair back (like Runamuck said, you can explain it away as it just being part of being his bodyguard job). But it does seem like an oversight for the cover to have it the old way. I guess that's just a side-effect of getting a different artist to draw the cover so early on?

I mean...I feel like they've had forever to make a quick change to the title cover. It just...looks bad imo.
Antiyonder
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #582 on: Jul 17, 2017 02:38 pm »

Lin?

I was talking about Kuvira.

Something about Korra's character in this comic just feels off to me. Maybe my memory is faulty since I haven't seen the TV series since its finale, but Korra in this comic just feels a little...flat and lacking in energy that I was so used to seeing from her. I know she's supposed to be more mellow after her "character development", but even in Book 4 there's still some parts where she's still her snappy and energetic self we see from earlier books.

Yeah, there's some parts in the comic where Korra does act like what we see in the TV series (like that shot at Raiko) but her interactions with Asami and whenever their relationship is brought up with others is...meh. In the best way that I can describe it, it feels as if Korra acts way too soft in those moments. There's also a moment later in the comic where Korra acts uncharacteristically nervous and in a context that doesn't seem to make sense at all through the implications of other characters' actions.

Yeah, that's been a problem with most of the series to me.  TLoK is suppose to be as realistic as possible given the Sci-Fi and Fantasy element, except Bryke or even just Mike I guess don't seem to care for self restriction or maintaining a fixed set of rules to allow for consistency or coherency.

It's why even when I cooled down on the criticism that I just couldn't bother in speculative discussions.  Hard to be invested when the writer(s) don't care to keep some consistency.
« Last Edit: Jul 17, 2017 03:16 pm by Antiyonder » Logged
mmoon24
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #583 on: Jul 18, 2017 02:29 pm »

A bit random, but Turf Wars is the number one seller for Dark Horse on Amazon. Part 2 is ranked 6th.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/books/4397/ref=zg_b_bs_4397_1
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #584 on: Jul 18, 2017 06:05 pm »

Wow, what a depressing list. Usagi Yojimbo and Umbrella Academy are the only non-licensed American comic books on that list. Everything else is licensed properties and manga imports.

Man, Dark Horse is just a poor man's IDW these days, isn't it?

Nausicaa
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #585 on: Jul 19, 2017 02:06 am »

Some of the early dialogue in the comic actually feels like stuff that should have been used for a segment of the clip show.

I really dislike Korra and Asami together as a whole because it seems that Mike is already writing it as the extension of the breaking and taming of Korra's character that took place during season's 3 and 4. I don't see the point of Asami commenting on Korra's fear during their initial drive (especially when Korra was so excited) save that Mike is trying to emphasize Korra's vulnerabilities. We can't have that shrew from the first two seasons making an appearance, except that Asami remarking that Korra's excitement was infectious would have been a far better line and actually more in line with the scene that was made in the television series. 

Yeah, the part about the car drive bothers me because it's not in-line with what actually happened in that scene. I like your suggestion- that it would be more accurate to say that Korra was excited- than to take a brief shot of her looking concerned and try to redefine the whole scene as Korra being 'terrified'. (It doesn't even work as Asami exaggerating for a joke, because it's so at odds with what actually happened.)

It's like a weird retroactive attempt at putting Asami on more of an even footing with Korra, because in the show it always came across like she wouldn't really be able to keep up with her. (Same with the rock climbing bit.)

And the 'breaking and taming'  thing- I agree. I don't like that one of the earliest conversations in the comic has Korra apologizing for the vacation going wrong, even though it was Asami's idea to go to the Spirit World in the first place. She already gave her an unnecessary apology in the finale, too.

Yeah, she feels very flat in this. Maybe it'll be better with the missing pages (which should at least have her responding to more plotty stuff) but yeah, she's acting very soft. When we saw the positive moments of her romance with Mako, she seemed a lot more... energetic? So I don't think it's impossible to write her as being invested in a romance without making her the way she is in the comic. In this she's very nervous, and blushy, and fiddles with her hair a lot.

Some of the nervousness makes sense- she has reason to worry that certain characters will react badly to things- but I think the amount of nervousness she displays across the story feels excessive. (And could have been reduced by making Asami the nervous one in those parts, which would retain the 'relateability' aspect of the coming-out story without coming across like Korra has changed personalities.)

It also feels weirdly at odds with the whole line about Asami being as 'intense' as her, because Korra doesn't seem to have much intensity in this story? (Also lol@ Asami being the person who 'got her' the most.)

Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #586 on: Jul 26, 2017 09:24 am »

Turf Wars, Part 1 is out. Please do NOT post spoilers in this speculation thread. If you wish to discuss about the comic after reading it, please do so in this thread. If you wish to speculate on what happens next, you can do so in the Turf Wars, Parts 2 & 3 speculation thread.
« Last Edit: Jul 26, 2017 09:32 am by Icy_Ashford » Logged

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Runamuck
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #587 on: Jul 26, 2017 01:41 pm »

So… has anyone seen the Avatar panel from the SDCC yet?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3YAQHw9rYI

And a couple of con pictures from Koh:
http://prom-knight.tumblr.com/post/163274905728/first-time-seeing-holding-my-book-day-1
http://prom-knight.tumblr.com/post/163423012868/sdcc-thank-you

So… where can we talk about the reviews of the comics that are starting to pop up?

mmoon24
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #588 on: Jul 26, 2017 02:09 pm »

Most of the reviews I have seen are rather broad and lacking in detail...and most of them are just focusing on Korrasami, while saying, "Oh yeah, the plot is okay".
Runamuck
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #589 on: Jul 28, 2017 12:46 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAjSFg2IzAk
Huh…? Apparently Nicelodeon can actually be arsed to advertise something related to Avatar or The Legend of Korra all of the sudden. Although it doesn’t really contain anything particularly new, it’s just a slightly animated version of the preview pages we got months ago.

We also have a new interview with Irene Koh and Michael Dante DiMartino:
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/mbaddy/the-legend-of-korra-is-introducing-younger-fans-to-same-sex-relationships

There are also more new things from Koh’s blog:
http://prom-knight.tumblr.com/post/163501662958/ive-tagged-this-as-turf-wars-spoilers-just-in
Some development pictures for some of the new characters.
http://prom-knight.tumblr.com/post/163456023858/happy-turf-wars-release-day
Some fan art.

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #590 on: Aug 01, 2017 06:21 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAjSFg2IzAk
Huh…? Apparently Nicelodeon can actually be arsed to advertise something related to Avatar or The Legend of Korra all of the sudden. Although it doesn’t really contain anything particularly new, it’s just a slightly animated version of the preview pages we got months ago.

Well, they had a summer intern with nothing to do...

Yougo
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Respect the Screaming bird!

« Reply #591 on: Aug 02, 2017 03:05 pm »

Chances are they sack him for showing initiative

sig by me.
keeper of: the Screaming bird's horrible shreak; The Bendig Mark.
Pages: « previous page   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: