Aug 23, 2017 01:44 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Legend of Korra Comics [Turf Wars, Part 1 speculation thread] (NO spoilers!)  (Read 44947 times)
Clowngoon
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #500 on: May 01, 2017 12:13 pm »

That review really doesn't tell me much. Agree with Icy.

And I will contend with Koh on who is smarter, Asami or Varrick. Varrick has more of the "business" sense. No way he gets a company to be as big as Varrick Industries without having SOME business acumen. And correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Varrick responsible for the blueprints for the Spirit Cannon and the hummingbird suits? He might not be the one who does the nitty, gritty details, but he clearly is a smart dude.

Far as Asami goes. Well, she was able to rebound her father's company after it was left to her...but not before handing it over to Varrick so stupidly. She did play some big role in developing the trains, but that's all she has really accomplished?
I'm betting that if she had said Varrick, I'm sure someone will complain about sexism somewhere.

"Some friendships can transcend through lifetimes."

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character."
ahintoflime
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #501 on: May 01, 2017 12:53 pm »

That review really doesn't tell me much. Agree with Icy.

And I will contend with Koh on who is smarter, Asami or Varrick. Varrick has more of the "business" sense. No way he gets a company to be as big as Varrick Industries without having SOME business acumen. And correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Varrick responsible for the blueprints for the Spirit Cannon and the hummingbird suits? He might not be the one who does the nitty, gritty details, but he clearly is a smart dude.

Far as Asami goes. Well, she was able to rebound her father's company after it was left to her...but not before handing it over to Varrick so stupidly. She did play some big role in developing the trains, but that's all she has really accomplished?
I'm betting that if she had said Varrick, I'm sure someone will complain about sexism somewhere.

There should be a word for the prejudice of logic because I'd complain about the discrimination of it in choosing Asami over Varrick.

Any character development?

In LoK? Heh heh heh, good one.
luvavatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #502 on: May 01, 2017 04:28 pm »

How is Asami smarter? I mean she had the only company in the world that made airplanes and couldn't sell them? So the technology was used by the equalists, why wouldn't any of the world's military or police forces want access to superior technology? What about trusting gangsters around said technology? Also why keep all of her projects in one warehouse and NOT have a security team protecting everything? How about jumping back into a relationship with a guy who just dumped her for someone else and she went back to him not even a week after he broke up with the woman he left her for? Also not even recognizing the ploy that Varrick pulled on framing Mako, when surprise surprise her own father did the same thing to the Cabbage Corp CEO? She and Varrick both lack common sense (a magnet suit that dangerously pulls all loose metal towards the wearer, an airbending detector that one has to airbend into for it to work), but I'd say that Varrick does beat her out somewhat with his intellect.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017 03:06 am by luvavatar » Logged
Colonel_Brian
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #503 on: May 01, 2017 04:58 pm »

Varrick isn't stupid. He's a ham. However, he does lack common sense as luvavatar has noted.

In addition, it's unclear how the word "smart" is being defined. Koh interprets it as having good social skills. Though if that is what's meant than Asami isn't much better. In fact, she is portrayed as being jealous, passive-aggressive, and basically whatever the writers want her to be at that moment. Once again, luvatar does a good job listing some of Asami's less intelligent moments.

If we are defining smart to mean something else, than I'd argue that question is moot, since the show liberally granted it's characters new abilities as the situation demanded. Asami went from being an adrenaline junkie, to running a business whose problems didn't even  make sense (was she having difficulty finding customers or was she simply unable to ship her company's goods to them? Does it it even really matter?), to finally an engineer who could designed stuff that actually worked.

I mean, she could be all three, but the way she acquired her roles throughout the show's run did not feel organic.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017 05:23 pm by Colonel_Brian » Logged
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #504 on: May 01, 2017 05:24 pm »

The only mental accomplishment I can recall from Asami is beating Bolin at Pai Sho. Other people saved her company for her while she was gallivanting on an Airbender recruitment trip, other people designed the things her company sold, and I don't remember any point where she had an idea that saved the day.

Even her signature weapon was a present from her daddy.

Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #505 on: May 02, 2017 05:35 am »

Reminder to all that you cannot post a link to the leaked comic panels at all, to be fair to all those who worked hard on the comic. And seriously, do not even brag that you've seen the leaked panel and offer to give others a link. Doing either will get you a 14 day ban. Remember point 5 of the forum rules.

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Runamuck
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #506 on: May 21, 2017 06:56 am »

We have some news again, and this time I don’t think that I’ve stumbled across any leaked material. We have an interview on CBR with Irene Koh:
http://www.cbr.com/interview-irene-koh-legend-of-korra-personal-project/

Nausicaa
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #507 on: May 21, 2017 12:58 pm »

I guess the main points of interest in that interview are:

- Reiterating the 'Turf Wars' plot- "Three 72-page graphic novels in full color set against the backdrop of political turmoil, the revival of the Triple Threat Triad with a mysterious new head, and with a particular focus on developing Korra and Asami’s romantic relationship. Mike mentioned in his Reddit AMA that things will stay on the lighter side plot-wise, but thematically, there will be a lot to chew on."

"Part One focuses on Korra and Asami trying to maneuver coming out to their friends and family in the midst of Republic City trying to adjust to the creation of a new spirit portal. There are new villains who would seek to take advantage of it, President Raiko’s troublesome involvement in spirit world matters, the ire of citizens who’ve been displaced by its creation, and the vengefulness of one particular character aimed towards Korra herself. "

- Koh is incorporating more Asian backgrounds than normally appeared in the show. One of the new characters is designed to look Bangladeshi, another is Korean. There's more South Asians around.

- There's some backstory about how the Avatar world views sexuality. It's going to vary by culture.

- "especially when it comes to finding out that some of the characters had been decidedly queer since they were first conceived!" She also mentions 'other queer characters' appearing.*

- Both Mike and Bryan are giving notes on her artwork. Bryan's tend to be more technical.

*I think that at least one of these is going to be Kya, because Koh posted a panel of her a while back. She's the only other (living) character that Bryke have said is LGBT, so it seems like a safe bet that they'll use the comic to establish that. Think there'll be any others? (Already introduced characters that are LGBT, that is.)

I have mixed feelings about hearing that being gay/ bi is a Thing in the Avatar world (at least, in some cultures). I kinda hoped it would be no big deal. But I guess they've already established that the Avatar world has sexism, so homophobia's not really that much of a surprise.

I kinda wanted it to be a non-issue though, partly because I think it's nice to have stories- especially aimed at young people- where it's not a big deal (though I can see the value in playing it more 'realistically'), partly because I think it fits better with the way the show ended. (I'm also not sure whether I really trust Bryke to do it well? Especially since non-straight characters never really seemed to be a consideration of theirs for so much of ATLA/ LOK's existence.) 

Clowngoon
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #508 on: May 21, 2017 03:20 pm »

Good thing Aang and Katara had Tenzin.

"Some friendships can transcend through lifetimes."

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character."
AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #509 on: May 21, 2017 03:35 pm »

But I guess they've already established that the Avatar world has sexism

They also established that sexism in the Avatar world was no big deal at all, for one reason or another.

Keeper of Suki's firebending ancestry, the Kyoshi Warrior dojo, the love potion made from rainbows and sunsets and the mecha tanks.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
Red Hawk
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #510 on: May 22, 2017 06:15 am »

It was specifically the Northern Water Tribe that had a sexism issue,  not necessarily the rest of the world.
NeeNee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

We will not be quiet.

« Reply #511 on: May 22, 2017 07:17 am »

^ And the SWT. I'd even say they had it almost as bad, since we know that boys got a 'passing into adulthood' boat ride, while the girls... had a kid or something.

And it hasn't gone anywhere either. Korra's dad? He allowed a terrorist meeting in his home, death to him! Korra's mom? Eh, she's just a woman. Not like she had anything to say about who her husband invited into the house, amirite?

Red Hawk
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #512 on: May 22, 2017 02:10 pm »

^ And the SWT. I'd even say they had it almost as bad, since we know that boys got a 'passing into adulthood' boat ride, while the girls... had a kid or something.

And it hasn't gone anywhere either. Korra's dad? He allowed a terrorist meeting in his home, death to him! Korra's mom? Eh, she's just a woman. Not like she had anything to say about who her husband invited into the house, amirite?

I don't know if I'd call the SWT as bad. Female waterbenders weren't restricted to just learning healing,  as seen with Hama.

Careful with that last argument,  though. Sounds redpill-ish. Tongue
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017 02:13 pm by Red Hawk » Logged
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #513 on: May 22, 2017 05:50 pm »

I think the South used to be less sexist, and then their response to increasing hardship was more stringent gender roles. Or else Sokka was just idolizing the wrong warriors when they got drunk and went on rants about "wimmin folk can't be trust to do nuthin!"

And while we didn't see blatant Capital-S sexism in the Earth Kingdom and the Fire Nation, it's hard to ignore that the leadership of both was exclusively male. Yes, Azula could be named Fire Lord, but Ozai was still above her, and she was the only woman in the whole All Day War Meeting.

Nausicaa
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #514 on: May 22, 2017 07:50 pm »

I'm never sure whether some of that stuff was intentionally male-skewed, or whether it was accidental. Like how they designed female soldiers for Kuvira's army but the designs didn't make it into the actual animation.

(Though I just realised something- what would the NWT do if a female Avatar was born there? Would they reveal their identity when they were young to explain why they were allowed to have full waterbending lessons? Or would they still make them exclusively learn healing until they turned 16?) 

Moving back on-topic, I'm interested in this line from the interview- "the way other queer characters look at [Korra and Asami] with gentle understanding". It makes it sound like we'll be seeing multiple gay/ bi characters? Kya's definitely one of them, based on what Irene Koh posted a while back. I'm curious as to who the other/s might be. (Admittedly in this respect this comic kinda reminds of the 'gay planet' DLC from that Star Wars game  Cheesy )

Aiwei? They are in the spirit world after all (lol)

Bumi? He doesn't have any established love interests, I don't think? Not sure they'd make two of the siblings LGBT. (Plus it'd be kind of sad seeing as they're both still single, while Tenzin isn't.)

Theoretically any of the characters who are dating/ married could be bi (Bolin, Opal, Tenzin, Pema, Varrick, Zhu Li), but it might feel like kind of a cop-out to reveal that they could date the same sex but are almost certainly never going to do so on-screen.

Lin's still single, she could find love down the road. Mako too, though it might seem a bit unlikely that all three members of the love triangle were bi without being aware of that. Plus, post-finale Bryke have only floated the idea of female love interests for Mako, so I don't think it's particularly something they're thinking of. But it'd bring him one step closer to my "secret history with Hasook" theory  Cheesy

It might just be a new character (the land developer guy, or a Triad member?).

Colonel_Brian
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #515 on: May 22, 2017 08:00 pm »

Moving back on-topic, I'm interested in this line from the interview- "the way other queer characters look at [Korra and Asami] with gentle understanding". It makes it sound like we'll be seeing multiple gay/ bi characters? Kya's definitely one of them, based on what Irene Koh posted a while back. I'm curious as to who the other/s might be.

All of them.

I'm sure that'll make certain portions of the fandom happy.

As far as sexism in the NWT is concerned, I'm not entirely sure how they'd treat a female Avatar native to their home. Maybe they'd make an exception? Or perhaps they believe that the Avatar Spirit is masculine and consequently treat teaching a woman waterbending as favor to her male Avatar Spririt rather than her? Wink
Yougo
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Respect the Screaming bird!

« Reply #516 on: May 23, 2017 09:39 am »

They'll have heated discussions and political stalemates in and outside of governement halls, some will push the issue back on their agenda until their term is over, some will raise the issue whenever they want to spark the heated discussion to cover up something else like passing some sneaky law. The usual political hoshposh. And when they finally come to a decision, the new avatar will already be in his/her late twenties, be snuck off the north pole about twenty years ago by the white lotus and currently completing his/her earth and waterbending training with Toph and Huu in the swamp.

sig by me.
keeper of: the Screaming bird's horrible shreak; The Bendig Mark.
mmoon24
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #517 on: May 23, 2017 12:58 pm »

And you get to be Bi! And you get to be Bi! Everyone is Bi!

Seriously, I can't believe there is that much focus on this nonsense. I would've preferred if the world of Avatar was just "whatever" to people being homosexual. Now it makes the ending to Book 4 even more awkward, because Korra and Asami seemed comfortable with one another.

I'm all for the two developing their relationship in the first part of this series, but I really do not want it to bog down to "Dur, they hate us, cause they ain't us". Avatar has turned from a story about adventures and action to a political agenda driven comic.
Nausicaa
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #518 on: May 23, 2017 06:13 pm »

Seriously, I can't believe there is that much focus on this nonsense. I would've preferred if the world of Avatar was just "whatever" to people being homosexual. Now it makes the ending to Book 4 even more awkward, because Korra and Asami seemed comfortable with one another.

Yeah, I think the ending to the show makes more sense if Korra and Asami have no reason to worry about that kind of prejudice.

One thing I'm kind of relieved about is that Prince Wu doesn't seem to be in this comic- or at least, if he is, he's a pretty small portion. He's not mentioned in the plot descriptions for either volume, and Mako's obviously not his bodyguard anymore. I know he'll probably reappear if they move onto the Earth Kingdom later on, but I'm glad he doesn't seem to be a big part right now. I don't hate him or anything, I'd just prefer it if he was not such a big presence again.

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #519 on: May 23, 2017 06:17 pm »

But it'd bring him one step closer to my "secret history with Hasook" theory  Cheesy

This would make Mako about 400% more interesting, so I'm all for it.

As far as sexism in the NWT is concerned, I'm not entirely sure how they'd treat a female Avatar native to their home. Maybe they'd make an exception? Or perhaps they believe that the Avatar Spirit is masculine and consequently treat teaching a woman waterbending as favor to her male Avatar Spririt rather than her? Wink

What says the Avatar has to learn combat-oriented bending? The whole point, I believe, is to internalize the element and get a taste of the culture. The NWT would probably consider it right and proper that a female Avatar would only learn Healing Waterbending.

Whether the Avatar was content with that would probably depend on her own personality. Certainly, the White Lotus didn't involve themselves prior to Korra (and good riddance to them), and apparently no one objected to the monks breaking the rules with Aang. There's always the South and stolen instructional scrolls.

And you get to be Bi! And you get to be Bi! Everyone is Bi!

I'm all for the two developing their relationship in the first part of this series, but I really do not want it to bog down to "Dur, they hate us, cause they ain't us". Avatar has turned from a story about adventures and action to a political agenda driven comic.

I'm not ready to condemn it like this before the comic comes out. It might be a well-told, good-impact story that actually justifies its own existence. (Certainly, the AtLA comics have failed to offer any justification for existing beyond being More.) And it almost has to be more interesting than the Evil Amusement Park plot.

Granted, I don't think the Mike is likely to tell a particularly good version of that story given the existing setup, but as an engineer, I can't just dismiss remote possibilities.

Colonel_Brian
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #520 on: May 23, 2017 06:53 pm »

What says the Avatar has to learn combat-oriented bending? The whole point, I believe, is to internalize the element and get a taste of the culture. The NWT would probably consider it right and proper that a female Avatar would only learn Healing Waterbending.

Whether the Avatar was content with that would probably depend on her own personality. Certainly, the White Lotus didn't involve themselves prior to Korra (and good riddance to them), and apparently no one objected to the monks breaking the rules with Aang. There's always the South and stolen instructional scrolls.

I've never considered this, but you're right, there is no indication that the Avatar needs to learn combat-oriented bending. Though, I always imagined that the Avatar's job was to beat the current war-lord into submission using their fist. 
ahintoflime
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #521 on: May 23, 2017 09:37 pm »

I've never considered this, but you're right, there is no indication that the Avatar needs to learn combat-oriented bending.

Wax on, wax off. Wax on, wax off. Use for defense only.

Though it's difficult to get a taste for the culture in a place that's as generic as Republic City.
Red Hawk
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #522 on: May 23, 2017 10:10 pm »

I've never considered this, but you're right, there is no indication that the Avatar needs to learn combat-oriented bending.

Wax on, wax off. Wax on, wax off. Use for defense only.

Though it's difficult to get a taste for the culture in a place that's as generic as Republic City.

Ugh.  This forum needs an ignore function.  Is it possible for you to make a post without it being a passive-aggressive dig at LoK?
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #523 on: May 23, 2017 10:18 pm »

Ugh.  This forum needs an ignore function.  Is it possible for you to make a post without it being a passive-aggressive dig at LoK?
Attacking others is still not allowed on this forum, no matter how much you disagree with them.

Everyone get back on topic and if you wish to discuss more about the culture of the Avatar world, take it to the appropriate threads in the various boards.

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #524 on: May 25, 2017 06:05 pm »

Anyone think there's hope, with the growing danger of the criminal gangs, that we'll see some of their culture and background? Like full The Godfather, Part II-style flashbacks and explorations of their code and lifestyles?

Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: