Dec 16, 2017 08:56 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Legend of Korra Comics [Turf Wars, Part 1 speculation thread] (NO spoilers!)  (Read 49759 times)
fireywaters
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Peace on Avatar, before peace in real life

« Reply #450 on: Feb 12, 2017 05:25 pm »

Well I have two things I have my wish list that I want to add, both involve Eska consistently, though one is for more comedy purpose and the other is more serious emotional purposes. Though both ideas can kind of happen in the same story I guess.

1) Eska meeting Opal, we already got a hint on how Eska would handle it in Book 4 during that failed Wu coronation. I just want to see the three of them together, and having Opal react to finding out what kind of girls Bolin went out with before her. It would be hilarious.

2) Korra's immediate and extended family be together and do some family stuff. Meaning Korra, Tonraq, and Senna doing something together with Desna, Eska, and Melina. I feel bad for those 3 that Unaloq choice spirits over them, and it was clear in his fight with Unaloq, that Tonraq he does care about his nephew and niece even though they are only related to his brother by his brother who has issues and resentment against. The Korra, Tonraq, and Senna are a happy loving family for the most part, the Unaloq's side was devote of that, it would be nice to extent the olive branch to the less fortunate side of the family.

Peace between the Fire Nation and the other nations, before peace in our world
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #451 on: Feb 15, 2017 05:44 pm »

A preview of Turf Wars is out and feature Korra and Asami's date in the Spirit World. It's cute. I don't want to be a perv but I think this is the first time we've seen any one from the Krew in swim wear for one panel.

The colours are great and the art style takes a little getting used to.

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #452 on: Feb 15, 2017 06:02 pm »

I don't want to be a perv but I think this is the first time we've seen any one from the Krew in swim wear for one panel.

Eh... Asami maxed out the swimsuit fanservice in The Aftermath.

Keeper of Suki's firebending ancestry, the Kyoshi Warrior dojo, the love potion made from rainbows and sunsets and the mecha tanks.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #453 on: Feb 15, 2017 06:26 pm »

Um, Mako and Bolin, too. Wink

Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #454 on: Feb 15, 2017 06:57 pm »

Whoops, I meant to say Korra in her swimwear. I know some people were waiting for Korra to be in swimwear for a long time.

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Red Hawk
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #455 on: Feb 15, 2017 08:26 pm »

My takeaway from that preview is that, without Mike and Bryan's blog posts, the viewer/reader would have no real clue that this is supposed to be a romantic vacation from those first few pages, as opposed to a couple of girlfriends just having fun. Which is...consistent, I suppose. Heck, I legitimately wonder at this point if Korra is even aware that Asami has the hots for her.

The art is nice.

Dragon bird spirit!

Kind of BS that Asami would be better at rock climbing. Heck, doesn't she have nails to be concerned about?

The giant rock spirit is kind of cool.

"We've been through a lot worse together" -- honest question. What exactly does Asami have in mind that Korra and her went through that is so much worse?
Nausicaa
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #456 on: Feb 15, 2017 10:51 pm »

Whoops, I meant to say Korra in her swimwear. I know some people were waiting for Korra to be in swimwear for a long time.

I think the closest we got to Korra's swimwear was that scene in Book 4 where she's in the healing pool... and you can only see her from the shoulders up. Different from the one in the comic though.

Kind of BS that Asami would be better at rock climbing.

Yeah, I thought that too  Cheesy

"We've been through a lot worse together" -- honest question. What exactly does Asami have in mind that Korra and her went through that is so much worse?

Depends on what she means by 'together', I guess. In terms of being next to each other, I think the worst they've gone though together is fighting some bandits and henchmen. I guess they technically fought the Colossus together (at least, until Asami got ejected)? Otherwise, most of their worse stuff happened when they were separated.

-----------------------------

I really like the artwork, and the colouring is really nice. Also, Asami got to look dishevelled for once!

Nitpick: why does Korra apologise, when going to the Spirit World was Asami's idea? 

Uzuko
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #457 on: Feb 15, 2017 11:08 pm »

Otherwise, most all of their worse stuff happened when they were separated.

I think this is a bit more accurate. All of the good stuff also happened when they were separated to.
ahintoflime
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #458 on: Feb 15, 2017 11:12 pm »

My takeaway from that preview is that, without Mike and Bryan's blog posts, the viewer/reader would have no real clue that this is supposed to be a romantic vacation from those first few pages, as opposed to a couple of girlfriends just having fun. Which is...consistent, I suppose. Heck, I legitimately wonder at this point if Korra is even aware that Asami has the hots for her.

I'm trying to think of how many other times I saw a man hold another man's hand while they were swimming together and neither were in need of medical attention due to a health condition so the hand holding would be to get the other person out of the water versus deep diving like how Korra is holding Asami's hand.
I am also doing a mental search for such situations that I've seen women in similar straits.

It's not a "baby, you're my forever girl" and I'm not defending it, but they might be trying something reserved here as an opener aside from how many hoops were implied to have jumped to get to this comic introduction.

Kind of BS that Asami would be better at rock climbing.

Yeah, I thought that too  Cheesy

Depends on what she means by 'together', I guess. In terms of being next to each other, I think the worst they've gone though together is fighting some bandits and henchmen. I guess they technically fought the Colossus together (at least, until Asami got ejected)? Otherwise, most of their worse stuff happened when they were separated.

-----------------------------

I really like the artwork, and the colouring is really nice. Also, Asami got to look dishevelled for once!

Nitpick: why does Korra apologise, when going to the Spirit World was Asami's idea?  

The rock climbing seems like it would be in poor taste if Korra was better, perhaps? They traveled there with their bodies so bending is possible so if Korra was winning the reader might think Korra was using her bending on the rocks. Granite, I'd give the natural climbing ability to Korra even without bending perhaps the artist and writer subscribe to the school of thought that Korra is only good at bending and can't do other things to an adept degree like so many pieces of fanfiction claim.

And in terms of 'together' it could be how the group talks about them being a team when they work better far far away from each other. So maybe it was a spiritual togetherness?

And as for the nitpick...well it was Korra that tore open a portal in space-time in the first place which only happened because she reopened the original portals back in season 2 so everything bad that can happen is pretty much Korra's fault.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #459 on: Feb 16, 2017 07:27 pm »

I think the sooner we all accept that a lot of retconning is going to have to go on with Asami's character and interactions with Korra, the faster the comic can get going.

They've been sleeping together for three years and they teamed up to defeat Amon Jr's Nightmare Engine at Simanzi. Just roll with it.

Freedom153
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

That Could Have Been Executed Better

« Reply #460 on: Feb 16, 2017 07:38 pm »

I think the sooner we all accept that a lot of retconning is going to have to go on with Asami's character and interactions with Korra, the faster the comic can get going.

They've been sleeping together for three years and they teamed up to defeat Amon Jr's Nightmare Engine at Simanzi. Just roll with it.
So basically make a fanfiction. Got it, will... wait oh. I guess this is more of a "fan justification" than a fanfiction though.

I'm interested to see who the rock spirit is, though. And how they play him, especially considering he appears to be stationary. So unless he gobbles up a bunch of stupid tourists, unless he can teleport, I don't know how he would directly be a threat.

Additional datapoints acquired. Additional animated stories viewed. Directive: adjust opinion... adjusting...
First eyes, a treasure. New eyes, end with a pretentious blink, own vision eclipses.
Book 5:Humanity, aka: Freedom's First Writ
Runamuck
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #461 on: Feb 25, 2017 07:56 am »

Koh has posted some additional thumbnails on her blog showing of some of her favorite expressions:
http://prom-knight.tumblr.com/post/157679259418/hehe-some-favorite-faces-from-korra-thumbnails
No word on what part of the comic these are from though.

Oh, and since no one else has actually posted a link to it:
http://prom-knight.tumblr.com/post/157290065243/saw-some-folks-asking-about-the-swimsuits-which-i
Koh also provided a better look at the swimwear for the two girls. Guess we can also get a more definite answer about what Korra’s abs look like.
Uzuko
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #462 on: Feb 25, 2017 04:44 pm »

I don't understand the design choice to make Korra that much shorter in the second picture. I mean she's not that much shorter than Asami in the series, and should be taller than her anyway considering the height of her father and uncle.
Clowngoon
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #463 on: Feb 27, 2017 06:26 pm »

I don't understand the design choice to make Korra that much shorter in the second picture. I mean she's not that much shorter than Asami in the series, and should be taller than her anyway considering the height of her father and uncle.
Korra seems to have gotten her height from her mother's side.

"Some friendships can transcend through lifetimes."

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character."
Nausicaa
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #464 on: Feb 28, 2017 10:14 pm »

I've seen some complaints that the artist draws Korra too differently from the show (more in terms of muscles and stuff though). (Though in fairness, that swimsuit drawing looks like a rough sketch rather than a proper piece.)

I've also seen some complaints that she doesn't seem to like Korra herself- that her fanart tends to depict her OOC and that she said some negative stuff before she was hired to do the comics. (To the extent that she dropped the show and didn't finish watching it until early last year.) It doesn't bother me too much, because as far as I know she doesn't have any story input.

-------

In other news, the previews confirmed the long-running fan theory that Asami's makeup is tattooed on, as it remains untouched by water.  Cheesy

AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #465 on: Mar 01, 2017 12:44 am »

In other news, the previews confirmed the long-running fan theory that Asami's makeup is tattooed on, as it remains untouched by water.  Cheesy

Ah-ah, water-proof makeup is old news in the avatarverse:

Keeper of Suki's firebending ancestry, the Kyoshi Warrior dojo, the love potion made from rainbows and sunsets and the mecha tanks.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
mmoon24
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #466 on: Mar 01, 2017 11:58 am »

I've seen some complaints that the artist draws Korra too differently from the show (more in terms of muscles and stuff though). (Though in fairness, that swimsuit drawing looks like a rough sketch rather than a proper piece.)

I've also seen some complaints that she doesn't seem to like Korra herself- that her fanart tends to depict her OOC and that she said some negative stuff before she was hired to do the comics. (To the extent that she dropped the show and didn't finish watching it until early last year.) It doesn't bother me too much, because as far as I know she doesn't have any story input.

-------

Do you have a source regarding the artist's complaints? I always heard she was a huge fan girl of the series, and that her bias may come in the way of how she draws the characters in the comics?
Nausicaa
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #467 on: Mar 01, 2017 08:15 pm »

Do you have a source regarding the artist's complaints? I always heard she was a huge fan girl of the series, and that her bias may come in the way of how she draws the characters in the comics?

Here's some stuff she said on Twitter (when Book 2 aired, and then more recently when she decided to finish watching the show):

(Source 1, source 2)

From what I can tell, she was a big fan of ATLA, liked LOK when it started but gave up midway through Book 2, and still did the occasional fanart until early 2016, when she actually finished the show. (Oddly she still made comments like 'Let me work on the show' even during the period when she wasn't watching it?)

The person I saw complaining about the decision to make her the artist mainly took issue with her comments about Korra as a character- they feel she's one of those people who only likes Korra in the context of Book 4 and/or her relationship with Asami. (They also took issue with some of her fanart showing Korra enjoying stuff like getting her nails painted and wearing face masks, which they thought was pretty out of character.) For what it's worth, she did seem pretty enthusiastic about the show most of the time in the tweets I've seen.

They also brought up the 'Korra looks too skinny' thing, which I know the artist has hit back at. Personally I think the show was already inconsistent with Korra's level of muscles and I actually don't think the art is too bad in that respect (though some of her art definitely shows Korra looking skinnier than I'd expect.) It'd be cool if the comics showed her getting more buff as time passes, now that she's recovered.

In other news, the previews confirmed the long-running fan theory that Asami's makeup is tattooed on, as it remains untouched by water.  Cheesy

Cheesy I imagine it takes the Kyoshi Warriors hours to get it all off at night. This is like the opposite of Mulan's makeup.

« Last Edit: Mar 01, 2017 08:17 pm by Nausicaa » Logged

AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #468 on: Mar 02, 2017 07:09 am »

In other news, the previews confirmed the long-running fan theory that Asami's makeup is tattooed on, as it remains untouched by water.  Cheesy

Cheesy I imagine it takes the Kyoshi Warriors hours to get it all off at night. This is like the opposite of Mulan's makeup.

Not even that. Sokka got rid of it with the Mulan method at the end of The Warriors of Kyoshi. Kyoshi makeup is just that good  Wink.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
mmoon24
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #469 on: Mar 02, 2017 11:50 am »

Here's some stuff she said on Twitter (when Book 2 aired, and then more recently when she decided to finish watching the show):

(Source 1, source 2)

From what I can tell, she was a big fan of ATLA, liked LOK when it started but gave up midway through Book 2, and still did the occasional fanart until early 2016, when she actually finished the show. (Oddly she still made comments like 'Let me work on the show' even during the period when she wasn't watching it?)

The person I saw complaining about the decision to make her the artist mainly took issue with her comments about Korra as a character- they feel she's one of those people who only likes Korra in the context of Book 4 and/or her relationship with Asami. (They also took issue with some of her fanart showing Korra enjoying stuff like getting her nails painted and wearing face masks, which they thought was pretty out of character.) For what it's worth, she did seem pretty enthusiastic about the show most of the time in the tweets I've seen.

They also brought up the 'Korra looks too skinny' thing, which I know the artist has hit back at. Personally I think the show was already inconsistent with Korra's level of muscles and I actually don't think the art is too bad in that respect (though some of her art definitely shows Korra looking skinnier than I'd expect.) It'd be cool if the comics showed her getting more buff as time passes, now that she's recovered.

Ah. Just sounds like someone who is passionate about the franchise and show. I remember plenty of complaints about Book 2 especially on here as well.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #470 on: Mar 02, 2017 06:40 pm »

Not even that. Sokka got rid of it with the Mulan method at the end of The Warriors of Kyoshi. Kyoshi makeup is just that good  Wink.

How do we know that Suki's makeup is makeup?

The real Kyoshi Warriors could have a Joker thing going on.

Runamuck
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #471 on: Mar 03, 2017 03:15 pm »

So, has anybody heard of the Avatar panel that was at the Emerald City Comic Con? Irene Koh and Gene Yang participated in it.

Koh posted a little bit about it: (Warning: contains swearing)
http://prom-knight.tumblr.com/post/157935197968/thank-yall-so-much-for-coming-to-the-atlakorra
http://prom-knight.tumblr.com/post/157936169218/haha-yall-re-tumblr-i-was-kinda-joking-about

The two writers talked a bit about their work on the comics, and few more details were apparently revealed:
http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Thread:1353748#75

Does anybody know where more info about this could be found? The blogger that I usually follow for these kinds of things decided to push the self-destruct button on their blog… again… so that not of any help for that at the moment. So, do you know any good sources for news on the avatar comics?

----

Sorry about the double post, but now there are sources for the Emerald City Comic Con panel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxh5Q2k8z3Y
Quite interesting, there is also an offhand confirmation about something relating to the ATLA period.

If 48 hours have not passed since your last post, you should use the modify button. ~ Icy
« Last Edit: Mar 05, 2017 05:55 am by Icy_Ashford » Logged
Runamuck
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #472 on: Mar 16, 2017 11:41 am »

Guess no one bothered to watch the video from the comic con…

Anyways, we once more have some news about the Legend of Korra comics, and this time we have a little about part two of Turf Wars.

http://prom-knight.tumblr.com/post/158405601748/the-krew-sorry-posting-again-bc-i-had-fixed
Koh has posted a new panel, this time one with a whole lot of airbenders.

https://bnccatalist.ca/viewtitle.aspx?ean=9781506700403
We also have the cover for the second part of Turf Wars. It appears that Heather Campbel will continue to draw covers for the series.
I can’t remember if we already had the release date for part two, but now it’s here, and it’s set for release on January 30th 2018.

I sure hope that the ATLA comic won’t stop being published, because that is one long wait for the rest of the LOK trilogy. And as usual it’s released just after Christmas… bummer.
mmoon24
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #473 on: Mar 17, 2017 10:19 am »

I don't know why I get this negativity given the fact Asami of all people is on that cover. Oh well, here's hoping she actually plays a meaningful part in this arc, and in 2019, the next story arc will take step away from Korrasami.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #474 on: Mar 17, 2017 06:22 pm »

Hey, it's a better sign than Bolin being on the cover and prominent. Cheesy

Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: