Jun 24, 2017 08:58 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Legend of Korra Comics  (Read 40160 times)
Ckirby951
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #25 on: Dec 29, 2014 07:36 pm »

I don't want comics unless they:

a) Break Korra and Asami up.  That dynamic has never worked, and it makes Korra less interesting to force i

Or pretend like a romantic relationship never existed and never will; that issue is why I am conflicted on a Korra comic book.  There are some Korra stories I would be interested in seeing, like the beginning of the Red Lotus and Kuvira's back story.

They should keep the relationship there. They just need to develop it. Also, if they removed it, it would defeat the puporse of having it in there in the first place.

There really was no purpose to having their relationship there in the first place, though, other than Bryke making a political statement at the expense of good storytelling. I'd rather they break up so we can forget this adventurous but ultimately terribly poor endeavour.

I think they can find a way to make up for the lack of relationship build up. Maybe have mini comics that build it up more and explains where the romance came from. If they do decide to break them up, it shouldn't be too soon. There isn't really a way that fans are going to forget, so they should just try to make the best out if it. Besides, I don't think Bryke are going to break them up.

Either way, I'm just hoping for some comics that will continue the story in some way. There are a lot of things to focus on, especially with the minor characters. :-)

Double post merged. ~ Icy
« Last Edit: Dec 29, 2014 07:58 pm by Ckirby951 » Logged
Ikkin
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #26 on: Dec 30, 2014 07:21 pm »

a) Break Korra and Asami up.  That dynamic has never worked, and it makes Korra less interesting to force i

Or pretend like a romantic relationship never existed and never will; that issue is why I am conflicted on a Korra comic book.  There are some Korra stories I would be interested in seeing, like the beginning of the Red Lotus and Kuvira's back story.

They should keep the relationship there. They just need to develop it. Also, if they removed it, it would defeat the puporse of having it in there in the first place.

There really was no purpose to having their relationship there in the first place, though, other than Bryke making a political statement at the expense of good storytelling. I'd rather they break up so we can forget this adventurous but ultimately terribly poor endeavour.

I think they can find a way to make up for the lack of relationship build up. Maybe have mini comics that build it up more and explains where the romance came from. If they do decide to break them up, it shouldn't be too soon. There isn't really a way that fans are going to forget, so they should just try to make the best out if it. Besides, I don't think Bryke are going to break them up.

I don't think they can, because I don't think the characters have ever clicked for them.  It feels like meta-Korra was fighting the relationship the whole way.  =P

Korra Ramblings on Tumblr

Child of the Elements - A look at Korra's childhood with the Order of the White Lotus. (Complete)
Colonel_Brian
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #27 on: Dec 30, 2014 07:30 pm »

Why waste comics on Korrasami? We have a wealth of minor characters to explore.
Funkybender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #28 on: Dec 31, 2014 12:59 am »

a) Break Korra and Asami up.  That dynamic has never worked, and it makes Korra less interesting to force it.

b) Show Korra helping Kuvira.  After what happened in the finale, it'd be tragic for Kuvira to get left in prison to rot.

c) Show Asami and Korra in conflict over b).  If there's one thing that could make that dynamic interesting, it's "Stop visiting the woman who murdered my father!"

I'm in favor of B and C, with A being optional. I'm open to development of the couple and salvaging of Asami's character. I feel like A would be a tough sell; breaking up Korra and Asami would cheapen the final scene of Book 4 even more and might be equated with undoing all the progress (in the creators' eyes) made. Besides, it's a proverbial minefield, although I'm not against it being stepped on.

I hope they don't go there. I can say just in my name and, as a consumer, any further LoK related product doesn't interest me anymore, unless its focus moves from Korra. I'm so done with what they have done to her profile, I don't want to witness them mutilating her inner energy and who she used to be anymore. I wouldn't mind reading spin offs from LoK, though. For instance, RCPD, with focus on Mako and Lin, a series of adult stories with political and social urban context, some criminal investigations with a flavor of supernatural, considering the bending existence and that this city has a portal to the Spirit World. The most important requirement for such work to attract my attention would have to be the writers. They would have to be good, I would have to know their previous works and trust their capability of developing stories that would really respect the reader intelligence and could compensate for what has been wasted in the TV show.

So you want a B.P.R.D. series in the Avatar world? Dark Horse also publishes Hellboy so that could be great potential for a crossover or shoutout to that franchise.

Or pretend like a romantic relationship never existed and never will; that issue is why I am conflicted on a Korra comic book.  There are some Korra stories I would be interested in seeing, like the beginning of the Red Lotus and Kuvira's back story.

I disagree. They confirmed it as canon; I would expect them to not contradict that. They can't eat their cake and have it too.
Atren
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Mostly read, rarely post

« Reply #29 on: Dec 31, 2014 02:07 am »

Speaking of Korrasami in comics, I always wondered if same sex relationships have mandatory minimum age requirement in comics?

Kuvira and Baatar junior trials and rebuilding of RC would be options for comic stories. Now obviously there needs to be some action included so perhaps Red Lotus (or some other organization, Earth Empire fanatics for example) could use trial to target all the world leaders at same room.

Then there is spirit portal which might draw some not so friendly spirits who took offense of what happened at swamps perhaps? Or perhaps some evil genius continues Varrick and Baatar jr. work to harvest spirits for whatever he wants.
Yong Wing
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm a brand new sky to hang the stars upon tonight

« Reply #30 on: Jan 03, 2015 12:25 am »

Speaking of Korrasami in comics, I always wondered if same sex relationships have mandatory minimum age requirement in comics?

I... actually don't know. I mean, if any comics weren't allowed to depict Korrasami, that'd be kind of messed up.

Honestly, I would love to see a return for Zaheer. The way we left him on the show, I got some serious vibes from, "We may have been enemies once, but for now, our interests align." Like he was planning on escaping prison and becoming Korra's enemy again.

Sig by Sedai ^_^
Funkybender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #31 on: Jan 03, 2015 06:20 am »

The Comics Code stopped prohibiting references to homosexuality in the 80s and it's been dead for several years, so a decision not to depict it or LGBT characters would be self-censorship on the publisher's part.
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I can't think of anything clever to say.

« Reply #32 on: Jan 10, 2015 03:05 am »

Honestly, I would love to see a return for Zaheer. The way we left him on the show, I got some serious vibes from, "We may have been enemies once, but for now, our interests align." Like he was planning on escaping prison and becoming Korra's enemy again.

Huh...I had actually kind of gotten the opposite impression. Like he realized that his viewpoint doesn't quite work in practice so even if he were to get out, he wouldn't try to immediately cause trouble again. Not saying he would be a friends to Korra or anything, just that he wasn't planning anything bad.

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character." (As said by me)
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Do the thing!

« Reply #33 on: Jan 10, 2015 04:02 pm »

Personally, I'd like to see more of Varrick's mover from Remembrances, we may not be able to see it on the big screen, but a one-shot comic about Nuktuk as Bolin as Nuktuk and the League of Darkness would be fun to read. Smiley

Sig by Guitarfreak.
mmoon24
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #34 on: Jul 10, 2015 12:53 pm »

Korra comics confirmed. Will apparently focus on...wait for it...Korrasami and the aftermath of Book 4.

http://avatarthelegendofkorraonline.com/legend-of-korra-san-deigo-comic-con-2015-live-blog/7294/
« Last Edit: Jul 10, 2015 12:58 pm by mmoon24 » Logged
Ravenous215
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #35 on: Jul 10, 2015 01:12 pm »

Time for the storm
mmoon24
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #36 on: Jul 10, 2015 01:13 pm »

I guess this just became relevant now haha.
chicken_sokka
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Fire. Wang Fire.

« Reply #37 on: Jul 10, 2015 01:24 pm »

Disappointed that it didn't amount to anything other than another comic. Pretty much what we all guessed, but hey, better than nothing I guess.

Keeper of Sokka's Memorial Statue, Beard, and Gavel!
mmoon24
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #38 on: Jul 10, 2015 01:30 pm »

Bryan's post on it. Not much to add, but they have been working on it for a while.

http://bryankonietzko.tumblr.com/post/123740964897/the-legend-of-korra-will-continue-as-comics
Ikkin
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #39 on: Jul 10, 2015 01:36 pm »

I guess I'm just going to have to follow the same policy on this as that terrible FFX sequel audio book. XP

Child of the Elements - A look at Korra's childhood with the Order of the White Lotus. (Complete)
mmoon24
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #40 on: Jul 10, 2015 01:39 pm »

I'll give it a shot. I'm just hoping it's not TOO much Korrasami. The two need to be fleshed out, but you're only given so many panels in a comic book. More interested in the aftermath of Book 4.
BoomerAang Squad
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #41 on: Jul 10, 2015 01:51 pm »

I'll give it a shot. I'm just hoping it's not TOO much Korrasami. The two need to be fleshed out, but you're only given so many panels in a comic book. More interested in the aftermath of Book 4.

Hopefully they'll find the right Balance.
DJSmallz
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Handsome & Wealthy

« Reply #42 on: Jul 10, 2015 01:53 pm »

I guess I'm just going to have to follow the same policy on this as that terrible FFX sequel audio book. XP

You're not gonna at least give it a chance? :/

Let's have a money shower tonight!
Ikkin
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #43 on: Jul 10, 2015 02:45 pm »

You're not gonna at least give it a chance? :/

Why would I pay money for something whose very existence damages my ability to enjoy the show on my own terms? A:tLA ended leaving questions I actually wanted answered, but I've already invested 20,000 words into an LoK continuation that will inevitably remain far more satisfying to me than anything Bryke could do, given what we know.

The last two scenes of the show did enough damage to Korra. I'd rather chop them off than continue down that path. =/

Nausicaa
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #44 on: Jul 10, 2015 02:50 pm »

I'm a little disappointed with the Book 4 art book cover, if only because I was hoping for new artwork. It's pretty nice though.

With the comics, I wonder how big of a role Asami will play. Will they give her more plot involvement? Or will she get about the same amount as before, just with extra scenes reinforcing her relationship with Korra? (From Mako's finale conversation, I assume he'll be supporting Korra in her adventures. Bolin might get more stuff with Opal, or he could help Korra again. Or get a new job.)

I hope they don't go the Book 3 route and have her be around a lot without giving her story involvement of her own. She already has a bit of a reputation for being bland.

Personally I hope the comics make me like the Korra/ Asami relationship more. I found their dynamic in the show quite dull, but maybe the comics will make it more interesting. I also hope we get a good resolution to what will happen to Kuvira.

luvavatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #45 on: Jul 10, 2015 02:53 pm »

I hate to admit it, but I kind of agree. The ending to the show was a bit clunky and I really have no interest in seeing things that SHOULD have been focused on in the actual series. The show was overambitious and put too much in without focusing on other aspects. So I guess we'll see more Korrasami, the Fire Nation and Izumi's daughter that wasn't important enough to mention earlier, but may serve as Mako's love interest. I know it's wrong to judge before seeing it, but in all honesty I am not particularly interested with these possible story lines.
Red Hawk
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #46 on: Jul 10, 2015 03:46 pm »

So the comics are going in the one direction that could dissuade me from even buying it. Ok.

Remember when the first Avatar: The Last Airbender comic had all the major characters on the cover and wasn’t just focused on a fandom-splitting romance? Yeah.
ThePreciseClimber
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #47 on: Jul 10, 2015 04:04 pm »

Despite the fact of how inept this pairing is (seriously, Goat and a Pig have a better chemistry), I'm still curious what the heck they even want to do with it. Makes you wonder if Bryke know how relationships even work. It's like sometimes they do, and sometimes they have an amnesia.

Anything to add, Mako?

Oh no, he Pierroted again due to shock!
« Last Edit: Jul 10, 2015 04:07 pm by ThePreciseClimber » Logged
Fire Rose
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #48 on: Jul 10, 2015 04:20 pm »

^^It's possible that it's partly our fault as to why shipping has become the forefront of the series. Shipping in ATLA wasn't a big deal until fans started doing fan work of Kataang and Zutara. Korrasami only became eligible because people hated Mako and felt that having two girls "scorned" by the same man and hook up because of it is the way to go.While I don't mind creators giving what the fans want every now and then but to the point where it dictates how the series is being ran is what a lot people don't like. There's also more to it but I won't say because it has been done to death.

I'm not really what to think of this Korrasami comic. If it does help develop the relationship such as giving Asami freakin character development instead of going "Hold me Korra because I need someone in order to be important to the plot" then fine. But if it's just going to be Korrasami being Korrasami  then I'll pass.

Colonel_Brian
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #49 on: Jul 10, 2015 04:27 pm »

I'd wager that the Bryke simply stared into the abyss too long. They used to troll shippers and now they are one of them.
« Last Edit: Jul 10, 2015 04:45 pm by Colonel_Brian » Logged
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: