Oct 23, 2017 05:45 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Legend of Korra Comics [Turf Wars, Part 1 speculation thread] (NO spoilers!)  (Read 47826 times)
TallBoy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

My Heart Burns For You

« on: Dec 25, 2014 09:25 pm »

I was hoping now that the finale has come and gone, and that we got confirmation of the 4th volume of the atla comics, we could talk about Korra comics?

Do you guys think that's something Bryke would want to look into or are they completely done now? (which would mean this is the last atla volume)
Is there some information that's come up that I just haven't heard? I'd love to hear if they've said something about this.

Where do you think Korra comics could go? Would you like a time skip or continue right where the finale left off?

Edited the thread title since it is confirmed there will be TLOK comics. ~ Icy
« Last Edit: Jul 05, 2017 08:47 am by Icy_Ashford » Logged

3DS FC: 2836-0221-8587
PM me if you add me
Fieryfurnace
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Just passin' through

« Reply #1 on: Dec 26, 2014 07:37 am »

Well, Smoke and Shadow isn't the last ATLA comic trilogy. There's at least one more after that according to Gene Yang, which may or may not involve a time skip. I think it was Bryan that said in an interview (i'm not sure which) that he hasn't really been involved in the comic series and that it was only Mike that's really been communicating with Yang, and that after Korra ends he would definitely like to get more involved in the writing process. (Which may be why Smoke and Shadow is starting so late next year in comparison to the other trilogies. They might be doing over the script with Bryan involved too.)

So they're not done with the ATLA comics at least. As for TLOK comics i don't think they've said something about them as of right now. But it seems they're not going to be done with the comics as a whole until at least 2016, so in that time (or after) TLOK comics might be confirmed. I'd like to have TLOK comics run simultaneously alongside the ATLA ones just so we don't have to wait so long in between comics. (Of course, monthlies would be ideal but I've given up wishing for them.) Oh, and also someone besides Yang working on them. I think the guy's been improving every trilogy but it would be nice to have somebody new (or a team of new somebodies) working on the TLOK ones.

I'm not too sure how far into the future i'd like the comics to start. It'd be nice to see what happened to Kuvira and what exactly the dynamic of Korra and Asami's relationship would be like (considering how poorly developed it was in the actual series) immediately post finale. But maybe some cool new stuff is happening in Korra's future so idk.
TallBoy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

My Heart Burns For You

« Reply #2 on: Dec 26, 2014 09:50 am »

Oh I didn't hear Yang said there'd be another after smoke and shadow! that's awesome! and if Bryke get together to work on the comic after Korra, that's even better. I just assumed that if they wanted to move on they'd kinda drop all these secondary products. But I guess the comic's got to be easier to help with than anything else. bring it on! I want more  Grin

I really like Yang. I feel like he has a great gift for creating Asian characters and writing them really well. While that doesn't mean he's necessarily good with these pre-existing characters, I feel the characterization in these stories has been great. I would blame Mike for the plots Tongue
But yeah, I think a different creative team for Korra would be a good idea. I don't know who would be good for writing but I would love to see Annie Wu do Korra! Her Batman Beyond Batgirl is basically Korra already Tongue

I kind of want to see what happens right after the finale. Even their vacation in the spirit world. But maybe it would be good to just skip that and have it start with everything settled after that. I really want to see middle aged Korra though, Lin age. That would be such an interesting comic haha

PM me if you add me
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I can't think of anything clever to say.

« Reply #3 on: Dec 26, 2014 12:44 pm »

If we do get LoK comics it probably won't be till at least 2017. Even then though, I'd rather just them stick with ATLA comics. As whole, I like those characters more and I'd rather see more about their lives. I'm not usually a comic reader but I make and exception with the ATLA and I actually really like them.

I'd read LoK comics but I don't see myself being as exited about that as I would ATLA. I love LoK but if I had to choose between more LoK and more ATLA, I will always choose ATLA simply because the only characters in LoK that can match ATLA characters for me is Korra and Tenzin.

I mean, can you picture Asami in comic book form? She's already the most bland character in the franchise. Take away the voice acting and the on-screen movements, you may as well just have cardboard cut out. Same goes for Mako to a far lesser extent. ATLA's cast doesn't have obvious weak spots like that.

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character." (As said by me)
Mahaanus
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #4 on: Dec 26, 2014 04:36 pm »

I was hoping now that the finale has come and gone, and that we got confirmation of the 4th volume of the atla comics, we could talk about Korra comics?

Very doubtful. A:TLA was one of the most high-profile animated series in the U.S., Korra bombed so hard it got pulled off air, had it's budget cut by an episode and then had it's finale (the only episode to air) in the midnight slot.

I don't think a comic book company is looking at it as a profitable venture.
« Last Edit: Dec 26, 2014 08:33 pm by Mahaanus » Logged

Recent events have drawn me out of my hole.
TallBoy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

My Heart Burns For You

« Reply #5 on: Dec 26, 2014 05:09 pm »

Very doubtful. A:TLA was one of the most high-profile animated series in the U.S., Korra bombed so hard it got pulled out of air, had it's budget cut by an episode and then had it's finale (the only episode to air) in the midnight slot.

I don't think a comic company is looking at it as a profitable venture.
That might be true. good point.
but Dark Horse has been pretty consistent in its publishing of Tv adaptations. I feel like they understand who these comics are for and that type of fan base will be a consistent sales base. idk, I'm pretty cetain that Dark Horse will do a comic if Nick wants to do one

PM me if you add me
Spiritwhisperer
Board Moderator
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #6 on: Dec 26, 2014 08:41 pm »

Very doubtful. A:TLA was one of the most high-profile animated series in the U.S., Korra bombed so hard it got pulled out of air, had it's budget cut by an episode and then had it's finale (the only episode to air) in the midnight slot.

I don't think a comic company is looking at it as a profitable venture.

Some nuance to those statements; Book 1: air's ratings were higher than those of any AtlA book, barring the last half of book 3: fire. Despite these very high ratings, Nick suddenly began making some erratic changes. Book 2: spirits' ratings were a lot lower than those of book 1 (although it's not like the terrible friday "deathslot", change of airtime every other week, and 1.5 year hiatus without advertisement helped) but before book 2 ever even got close to airing, Nick reduced book 4's budget - book 2 or book 3's lower ratings do not explain this cut, because it was done long before they aired, a little while after book 1's high ratings.

From what evidence is available, book 3's good reception by (re)viewers did cause a renewed growth in popularity. Book 3's trailer had about 2 million viewers. Book 4 had 7 million.

But now that book 4's finale has aired, pretty much every minor and major newsagency has jumped on it for the political browniepoints of those last 30 seconds. I would not be surprised if it's popular enough for a couple comics. AtlA has had 3 trilogies already, and I don't think the creation of a comic is that big of a moneysink not to try at least 1 comic for a fairly sizeable audience.

"In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.”
- Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
Fieryfurnace
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Just passin' through

« Reply #7 on: Dec 26, 2014 08:57 pm »

If we do get LoK comics it probably won't be till at least 2017. Even then though, I'd rather just them stick with ATLA comics. As whole, I like those characters more and I'd rather see more about their lives. I'm not usually a comic reader but I make and exception with the ATLA and I actually really like them.

I'd read LoK comics but I don't see myself being as exited about that as I would ATLA. I love LoK but if I had to choose between more LoK and more ATLA, I will always choose ATLA simply because the only characters in LoK that can match ATLA characters for me is Korra and Tenzin.

I mean, can you picture Asami in comic book form? She's already the most bland character in the franchise. Take away the voice acting and the on-screen movements, you may as well just have cardboard cut out. Same goes for Mako to a far lesser extent. ATLA's cast doesn't have obvious weak spots like that.

I agree with you on this. I think the ATLA cast is way ahead of TLOK's ensemble cast in terms of development and depth, and the majority had strong personalities, so it was easy to translate their characters with varying degrees of success to the comics.

The problem with transitioning TLOK as a whole to comic book form is that many of the cast have barely defined personalities (a la Asami) or are just kinda underutilised or 'there' (Ikki, even though she's my favourite air baby, Pema, Mako at times, Kya, the old ATLA characters minus Toph, Opal ect) and some are just plain unlikable (Meelo, Suyin, Jesus Jinora, and Kai whenever they let him out of Narnia) because there's just so many characters to juggle. Actually making them interesting and believable in comic book form is, therefore, very difficult outside of Korra, Tenzin, Bolin and most of the villains and maybe Varrick, as they were not fleshed out properly in the show itself. Plus, since Asami has now been shoehorned into a relationship with Korra, the comics would have to address that in some way. And since Asami is boring, that would be boring and unengaging to me. The Team Avatar of TLOK also has much less of a strong presence, as only Korra and Bolin can really carry the team in terms of character. Asami and Mako are kinda plain on screen, so they'd be much plainer in comic form without the visual stimulation.

Basically, the trilogy format i don't think would work for TLOK due to the way it 'developed' the majority of its cast during its run. (Which is to say, it really didn't.)

ATLA has comparatively fewer supporting characters and a more cohesive Team Avatar so theoretically it should make it easier to adapt them to comic book form, and I think The Search and The Rift were mostly successful in that regard. (Minus Sokka, who i feel got the short end of the stick really.) I like the ATLA cast more because obviously they are overall more fleshed out and easier to get invested in, but i'd still appreciate some TLOK material, if only to keep the franchise going. It'd be nice to have them between ATLA's comics to shorten the waiting time in between new material. Outside of that use, however, i'll admit i have little real desire to see TLOK comics continuing the story post finale like the ATLA ones.

If they're gonna do supplemental TLOK material to bridge the gap between the ATLA stuff like i ideally would like them to, it would be nice to have single issues focused on the actually interesting characters of the show, like extra material on Zaheer and how he met his team or decided that natural order was the ideal way for society to function. Maybe a smaller slice of life comic focusing on Tenzin and the trials of being a parent or a mentor to somebody like Korra. A self contained adventure with Bumi during his military days, or just Korra doing something that develops her character. Stuff with the established characters that i actually got invested in during the shows run - minus the less interesting 'main' characters like Mako and Asami, which you would inevitably have to include if one was making TLOK comics similar to that of ATLA's.
Colonel_Brian
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #8 on: Dec 26, 2014 09:02 pm »

I would read Huan and Ikki one shots. Those two are a good pair. I might also read stuff on the adventures of Team Varrick and maybe material on Tenzin and Lin. Other than that I don't really care if I see anything more from Korra. Though Loopy's idea about Mako investigating a Red Lotus base sounds kind of cool.
Funkybender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #9 on: Dec 27, 2014 03:46 am »

Do you guys think that's something Bryke would want to look into or are they completely done now? (which would mean this is the last atla volume)
Is there some information that's come up that I just haven't heard? I'd love to hear if they've said something about this.

Where do you think Korra comics could go? Would you like a time skip or continue right where the finale left off?

I'd actually be surprised if there isn't interest in creating Legend of Korra comics.

Mike and Bryan are no doubt tired, but based on interviews we've gotten in the past and (disclaimer) my own personal inkling, I don't think they are going to totally abandon Avatar any time soon. As others have mentioned, Smoke and Shadows is lined up for release in 2015, and there's one story confirmed for publication after that. The comics offer a less stressful and cheaper way to keep the series alive should they choose to ever consider another animated production; they could also wrap up any loose ends from the two shows if Korra is their last television work for this universe. Mike and Bryan can take a consulting and editing role while Gene, and other authors if we get them, focus on the writing.

Remember, DC and Marvel publish far more comics than shows they produce. I could easily see Dark Horse continuing Avatar in comic form for a long time, as long as someone retains interest in working with the source material and the readers are there. And in my opinion, readership isn't be the first of my concerns; viewership and ratings have only increased since Book 2 of Korra. The potential is there; it just depends on how far the creators and the owners of the IP are willing to go to make comics happen.

Now if I were in charge, I'd make sure that FCBD 2016 has a Korra story. This:

I would read Huan and Ikki one shots. Those two are a good pair. I might also read stuff on the adventures of Team Varrick and maybe material on Tenzin and Lin.

is a fantastic premise for one. It'd be great for generating buzz. We're getting a Ty Lee story for next year's FCBD issue; let's bring in those Korra side characters!
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #10 on: Dec 27, 2014 03:57 am »

I believe there would be TLOK comics but maybe not ASAP. It could take years like ATLA or as soon as 2016 if luck smiles down on the franchise. Plus, there's the Book 4: Balance artbook that is due Sept 2015 so things seem hopeful.

I just hope they won't have too many comics or I really need to be looking for a new bookshelf to store all the hardcover Library Editions of the comics.

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Solid Sun
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

dio did nothing wrong

« Reply #11 on: Dec 27, 2014 03:32 pm »

The first comic will be like the promise, so it means that Korrasami shippers are gonna cry.
Sorry Hikaru.

Featuring : Polaris, Zyrax HikaruIzumi, Blue Warpath, Prophet of Doom, Weegee the Airbender, TyLuko4Ever, Johan, Riptide, SunxFire and AtoMaki : D
TallBoy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

My Heart Burns For You

« Reply #12 on: Dec 27, 2014 04:49 pm »

I wonder what the employment things involved are. Can Mike and Bryan be working for another network doing something and still consult on their Nick property? Would we not have any of these atla comics if Bryke weren't working with Nick on Korra?
Could the future alta books have been planned out already and they cant really do anything now?
They've made it a point in interviews that they dont actually own this universe.

... or I really need to be looking for a new bookshelf to store all the hardcover Library Editions of the comics.
This
« Last Edit: Dec 27, 2014 04:51 pm by TallBoy » Logged

PM me if you add me
Ikkin
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #13 on: Dec 28, 2014 07:41 am »

I don't want comics unless they:

a) Break Korra and Asami up.  That dynamic has never worked, and it makes Korra less interesting to force it.

b) Show Korra helping Kuvira.  After what happened in the finale, it'd be tragic for Kuvira to get left in prison to rot.

c) Show Asami and Korra in conflict over b).  If there's one thing that could make that dynamic interesting, it's "Stop visiting the woman who murdered my father!"

Korra Ramblings on Tumblr

Child of the Elements - A look at Korra's childhood with the Order of the White Lotus. (Complete)
Molra
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Stories are everywhere.

« Reply #14 on: Dec 28, 2014 01:01 pm »

I hope they don't go there. I can say just in my name and, as a consumer, any further LoK related product doesn't interest me anymore, unless its focus moves from Korra. I'm so done with what they have done to her profile, I don't want to witness them mutilating her inner energy and who she used to be anymore. I wouldn't mind reading spin offs from LoK, though. For instance, RCPD, with focus on Mako and Lin, a series of adult stories with political and social urban context, some criminal investigations with a flavor of supernatural, considering the bending existence and that this city has a portal to the Spirit World. The most important requirement for such work to attract my attention would have to be the writers. They would have to be good, I would have to know their previous works and trust their capability of developing stories that would really respect the reader intelligence and could compensate for what has been wasted in the TV show.
« Last Edit: Dec 28, 2014 03:04 pm by Molra » Logged

"Some see a hopeless end, while others see an endless hope."
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #15 on: Dec 28, 2014 01:09 pm »

a) Break Korra and Asami up.  That dynamic has never worked, and it makes Korra less interesting to force it.

b) Show Korra helping Kuvira.  After what happened in the finale, it'd be tragic for Kuvira to get left in prison to rot.

c) Show Asami and Korra in conflict over b).  If there's one thing that could make that dynamic interesting, it's "Stop visiting the woman who murdered my father!"

I'll second all of this. Especially C. Unfortunately, I doubt they will break Korrasami up because then that hurts their political statement but if they are going to stay together, something needs to happen to make their relationship more interesting, natural, and dynamic.

I would also like to see what happens to Kuvira though. I'm not sure if I want her to just rot in prison for all eternity.

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character." (As said by me)
Colonel_Brian
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #16 on: Dec 28, 2014 01:12 pm »

I still think we should focus on minor characters. Korra's story is complete. Though if they are going to continue it, I think they should bring back the Red Lotus. I feel as if they were a loose end at the end of the series.
Solid Sun
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

dio did nothing wrong

« Reply #17 on: Dec 28, 2014 05:34 pm »

What if, Kuvira get the Death sentence off screen ? Nice way to troll her fans.

Featuring : Polaris, Zyrax HikaruIzumi, Blue Warpath, Prophet of Doom, Weegee the Airbender, TyLuko4Ever, Johan, Riptide, SunxFire and AtoMaki : D
Spiritwhisperer
Board Moderator
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #18 on: Dec 28, 2014 06:27 pm »

I hope they don't go there. I can say just in my name and, as a consumer, any further LoK related product doesn't interest me anymore, unless its focus moves from Korra. I'm so done with what they have done to her profile, I don't want to witness them mutilating her inner energy and who she used to be anymore.

But what if they reinvigorate that energy, and what if Korra-Asami's relation actually finally gains some kind of dynamic?

"In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.”
- Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
Ikkin
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #19 on: Dec 28, 2014 06:52 pm »

I hope they don't go there. I can say just in my name and, as a consumer, any further LoK related product doesn't interest me anymore, unless its focus moves from Korra. I'm so done with what they have done to her profile, I don't want to witness them mutilating her inner energy and who she used to be anymore.

But what if they reinvigorate that energy, and what if Korra-Asami's relation actually finally gains some kind of dynamic?

Given the way Bryan's own storyboards for the final scene looked, I have little hope for that, at least within that relationship.  =/  That Korra isn't Korra.

Korra Ramblings on Tumblr

Child of the Elements - A look at Korra's childhood with the Order of the White Lotus. (Complete)
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #20 on: Dec 28, 2014 07:22 pm »

personally, after how badly that relationship was in the series and what it ultimately led to (my favorite franchise ending on a poorly done political statement) it will take a lot for me to come around to the point of being willing to see more of that relationship. A dynamic finally being added after the fact simply won't cut it.

colle
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #21 on: Dec 28, 2014 07:46 pm »

Or pretend like a romantic relationship never existed and never will; that issue is why I am conflicted on a Korra comic book.  There are some Korra stories I would be interested in seeing, like the beginning of the Red Lotus and Kuvira's back story.
Solid Sun
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

dio did nothing wrong

« Reply #22 on: Dec 29, 2014 07:22 am »

I'd like to see Kuvira's first steps as The Great Uniter, from her decision to her end as a Napeleonesque megalomaniac figure

Ckirby951
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #23 on: Dec 29, 2014 07:03 pm »

I really want to see Korra comics! I'd like to see how the new spirit portal changed the world, how the Earth Kingdom will change into a democracy, and Korra and Asami's relationship develop (as a side plot)

a) Break Korra and Asami up.  That dynamic has never worked, and it makes Korra less interesting to force i

Or pretend like a romantic relationship never existed and never will; that issue is why I am conflicted on a Korra comic book.  There are some Korra stories I would be interested in seeing, like the beginning of the Red Lotus and Kuvira's back story.

They should keep the relationship there. They just need to develop it. Also, if they removed it, it would defeat the puporse of having it in there in the first place.

Double post merged. ~ Icy
« Last Edit: Dec 29, 2014 07:53 pm by Icy_Ashford » Logged
Fieryfurnace
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Just passin' through

« Reply #24 on: Dec 29, 2014 07:25 pm »

a) Break Korra and Asami up.  That dynamic has never worked, and it makes Korra less interesting to force i

Or pretend like a romantic relationship never existed and never will; that issue is why I am conflicted on a Korra comic book.  There are some Korra stories I would be interested in seeing, like the beginning of the Red Lotus and Kuvira's back story.

They should keep the relationship there. They just need to develop it. Also, if they removed it, it would defeat the puporse of having it in there in the first place.

There really was no purpose to having their relationship there in the first place, though, other than Bryke making a political statement at the expense of good storytelling. I'd rather they break up so we can forget this adventurous but ultimately terribly poor endeavour.
Pages: next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: