Mar 26, 2017 10:31 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Artbook] TLoK Book Four: Balance - The Art of the Animated Series  (Read 7209 times)
luvavatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #50 on: Sep 26, 2015 10:21 am »

In the book we see female soldiers within Kuvira's army, but Bryan explains that he didn't supervise the animation during those sequences though that he was ultimately to blame for it as it was his responsibility. The thing is that it happened with season 1 as well, there were designs for other female officers within the police, but for some reason they weren't included. I don't want to say it was a "mistake", but definitely an oversight that shouldn't have been done twice.
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #51 on: Sep 26, 2015 05:56 pm »

Got the book and read everything. I must say, Joaquim's commentaries were the best.

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Polaris
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I've waited 13 years...

« Reply #52 on: Oct 09, 2015 03:59 pm »

I only look at the character designs and then skim through the rest of the book lol. I always thought Kuvira had a magic source of metal, turns out they are layered.

ViridianIV
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #53 on: Oct 13, 2015 02:48 pm »

Creators need to decide what they're creating. Art (in which case it doesn't matter what the audience says) or a Product (in which case proper market research should be done, identifying the various consumer groups, finding out what they use the product for, and making changes to either expand the product's appeal or narrow down on the most profitable niches).

But then, sometimes I think a lot of real Product is being marketed as Art, even though the creators know exactly what they're making.

I completely agree with the idea of this even if I don't think it is at all as simple as the populace wishes that it were.  It's sort of like the Mass Effect fiasco.  I guess the ending of Korra is a vaguely similar topic.  As Korra is a free television show though, I'm more inclined to give it pure 'art' status than a video game which HAS to be bought to appreciate.  (you can buy other Avatar merchandise certainly but the shows themselves are at least initially free and Avatar has always been light on such supposition product to begin with)

The trouble with wide scale product response comes in narrowing down if something needs to be changed or not.  It can be almost impossible to sort out vocal minorities to silent voices when looking over and comparing them to profit and loss margins.  I couldn't personally fathom a soul who was truly happy with the way Mass Effect ended and as I'd always considered the game 'product' first 'art' second I agreed with the voices pushing for Bioware to DO something about it... but there were polls and yahoo groups and all manner of god knows what that offered more evidence that the vitrol was widespread and NOT the minority... whereas I've not seen such things for Korra.  There haven't been any petitions to change Korra's ending (or anything else about it for that matter) that I've seen, just gripes.

In my opinion its telling when IGN, generally the most obnoxious and vitriol laden cesspool of comment trolling in the galaxy unless something is just the perfect darling, has a largely positive community where Korra is concerned.  Where as ASN is the most negative community about the series I've encountered.  I don't think there is this a vocal minority with positive feelings about the show that a lot of people on the site believe there is, I think there is a more balanced spread of both attitudes and people in-between. 

Yet seeing as the division exists this leaves the creators with only a few options, apologize for the ending and infuriate anyone who agreed with, loved or even just liked it which is the majority AT LEAST in the marketing and journalistic groups where you can swiftly earn the ire of potential employers and associates as well as earning America's anti-anti-homosexual condemnation... or accepting what they've done which is what they've done from the beginning and is the wiser career move.

Either way, apparently people who hate the show now still buy the Artbooks which isn't a bad sign.  I sold all my Mass Effect collectors editions the weekend after I finished 3 and wanted nothing to do with the series ever again.

\"That woman is my hero.\"
Ikkin
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #54 on: Oct 13, 2015 06:58 pm »

As Korra is a free television show though, I'm more inclined to give it pure 'art' status than a video game which HAS to be bought to appreciate.  (you can buy other Avatar merchandise certainly but the shows themselves are at least initially free and Avatar has always been light on such supposition product to begin with)

Korra isn't "free" -- it's funded by advertisement, which means it requires large audiences to bring in profit just the same as if it were funded by direct sales.  If anything, funding-via-advertising is less pure than the direct sales equivalent, since it's at least possible for the latter to exist outside of the control of networks/publishers (though that's obviously not true for Mass Effect =P ).

There haven't been any petitions to change Korra's ending (or anything else about it for that matter) that I've seen, just gripes.

To be fair, outside of ASN, admitting to such powerful unqualified dislike of the ending that you'd rather it never happened is rather dangerous.  =P

Either way, apparently people who hate the show now still buy the Artbooks which isn't a bad sign.  I sold all my Mass Effect collectors editions the weekend after I finished 3 and wanted nothing to do with the series ever again.

Mass Effect was rather uniquely bad, from what I heard.  >_>;  The dislike for LoK's ending was probably more comparable to the dislike for Harry Potter's epilogue than the complete disaster that was Mass Effect.

Korra Ramblings on Tumblr

Child of the Elements - A look at Korra's childhood with the Order of the White Lotus. (Complete)
ViridianIV
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #55 on: Oct 13, 2015 07:37 pm »

Korra isn't "free" -- it's funded by advertisement, which means it requires large audiences to bring in profit just the same as if it were funded by direct sales.  If anything, funding-via-advertising is less pure than the direct sales equivalent, since it's at least possible for the latter to exist outside of the control of networks/publishers (though that's obviously not true for Mass Effect =P ).

Fair enough, it is technically 'sold' to the producers I suppose. (Nickelodeon was apparently fine enough with it though to allow the series as it happened) but in terms of what the viewers can rightly expect it is free to us.  It wasn't artwork that we've technically commissioned through our own wallets (as per instance, a video game)

To be fair, outside of ASN, admitting to such powerful unqualified dislike of the ending that you'd rather it never happened is rather dangerous.  =P

Exactly... which is why you haven't seen any movement to the contrary, but that only sorta indicates that the general reception as a whole isn't all that negative either.

Mass Effect was rather uniquely bad, from what I heard.  >_>;  The dislike for LoK's ending was probably more comparable to the dislike for Harry Potter's epilogue than the complete disaster that was Mass Effect.

You wouldn't know it from some of the posts you read here, I would quite easily compare the reception to Korra's ending to the reception of Mass Effect's ending based on ASN's reaction alone... but in terms of the globe your example is more apt... though I never understood what anybody found wrong with the epilogue tbh.

\"That woman is my hero.\"
Ikkin
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #56 on: Oct 13, 2015 08:01 pm »

Fair enough, it is technically 'sold' to the producers I suppose. (Nickelodeon was apparently fine enough with it though to allow the series as it happened) but in terms of what the viewers can rightly expect it is free to us.  It wasn't artwork that we've technically commissioned through our own wallets (as per instance, a video game)

Video games are "sold" to their publishers, too -- the only games that could be argued to be commissioned through their fans' wallets are crowdfunded games (which, ironically enough, probably have the most freedom out of anyone).  The publishers are the ones who decide what they think will sell, which may or may not be the same as what will actually sell (publishers are known to be significantly more wary of female protagonists than audiences are, for instance).  From their perspective, having their investment repaid through an ad-money-per-view scheme rather than a money-per-copy-sold scheme means little except insofar as the payments themselves differ.

Exactly... which is why you haven't seen any movement to the contrary, but that only sorta indicates that the general reception as a whole isn't all that negative either.

I'm not sure it's possible to tell how much the silence reflects a lack of negative reception and how much it reflects people choosing not to put up with some really virulent harassment, though.  Someone who dislikes something but isn't invested in expressing that dislike will likely react very differently depending on the dominant position -- for a Mass Effect, where hating on the ending is in vogue, they'll probably be louder about their dislike than they might otherwise have been, whereas something like LoK, where hating on the ending can mean a campaign of harassment, they'll probably find something better to do (or somewhere better to be).  =P  Unfortunately, it's really hard to measure those sorts of effects.

You wouldn't know it from some of the posts you read here, I would quite easily compare the reception to Korra's ending to the reception of Mass Effect's ending based on ASN's reaction alone... but in terms of the globe your example is more apt... though I never understood what anybody found wrong with the epilogue tbh.

I'd be glad to explain if you moved this line of conversation over to a more relevant thread.  Wink

Korra Ramblings on Tumblr

Child of the Elements - A look at Korra's childhood with the Order of the White Lotus. (Complete)
FireNationPhoenix
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Artist, Writer, Animator, Poet, Actress, Critic

« Reply #57 on: Feb 04, 2017 05:44 pm »

this art book was amazing, a must buy for fans

Risen From the Ashes of Fire
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: