Jun 25, 2019 10:06 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Free Comic Book Day 2015 (May 2nd 2015)  (Read 17293 times)
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #25 on: Dec 18, 2014 07:34 pm »

That logic doesn't actually apply to comic books, FYI.

Mahaanus
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #26 on: Dec 18, 2014 08:16 pm »

That logic doesn't actually apply to comic books, FYI.

"The Rift" is miles better than "The Promise".

Recent events have drawn me out of my hole.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #27 on: Dec 18, 2014 11:27 pm »

Any idiot allowed to script a comic for the first time is better than Chuck Austen after years of experience.

Game, set, match.

Solid Sun
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

dio did nothing wrong

« Reply #28 on: Dec 19, 2014 06:24 am »

Lol, if these Ozai Society weaklings come back for this one, I shall rant.

Featuring : Polaris, Zyrax HikaruIzumi, Blue Warpath, Prophet of Doom, Weegee the Airbender, TyLuko4Ever, Johan, Riptide, SunxFire and AtoMaki : D
Mahaanus
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #29 on: Dec 19, 2014 07:39 am »

Lol, if these Ozai Society weaklings come back for this one, I shall rant.

Why do I have the feeling that you will rant no matter what?
« Last Edit: Dec 19, 2014 10:43 am by Mahaanus » Logged

Solid Sun
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

dio did nothing wrong

« Reply #30 on: Dec 19, 2014 07:43 am »

What ?
I was talking about the Society.

Featuring : Polaris, Zyrax HikaruIzumi, Blue Warpath, Prophet of Doom, Weegee the Airbender, TyLuko4Ever, Johan, Riptide, SunxFire and AtoMaki : D
Suz
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #31 on: Dec 19, 2014 12:43 pm »

Oh man!  Ty Lee & Toph spells disaster -- I can't wait!
fireywaters
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Peace on Avatar, before peace in real life

« Reply #32 on: Dec 19, 2014 01:14 pm »

I always wanted to see Toph interact and become friends with one of Azula's former friends, this is not the one I had in mind, butut I will take it at least Ty Lee gets to do something behond being Kyoshi Warrior number 2, perhaps Ty Lee will learn what I already know. Toph and Mai are not that different.

Anyway the random two characters teaming up, is that going to a thing every year, like My Little Pony: Friends Forever series.
« Last Edit: Dec 19, 2014 01:26 pm by fireywaters » Logged

Peace between the Fire Nation and the other nations, before peace in our world
The_Xov
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #33 on: Dec 31, 2014 12:23 am »

Ya know, I want to be enthusiastic.  I really do, but...  So far, I don't think Gene Yang's done a good job with Toph, and he hasn't written enough of Ty Lee to give me a lot of confidence.  On the latter, I do like how she's maintaining the backbone and courage to stand up to Azula that she'd gotten in Season 3 - one of the good small parts I liked in The Search - but...I just haven't seen enough of a portrayal of her to make a good gauge on his understanding of her character.  Not that she has much of one overall, anyway, given she wasn't given much a chance to really flesh things out on her backstory/motivations in the only chance she and her friends were given, so I suppose whatever interpretation of Ty Lee beyond what we've been given (enthusiastic, empathetic, optimistic, peacekeeper, lover of cutesy frilly things and comfortable beds, a girl starving to be noticed, to be accepted, oh and a glorified badass) is totally up to Gene; he certainly has a right to whatever interpretations he comes up with.  I just...ugh...  Dammit, Ty Lee is one of my favorite characters, I just don't want to see her messed up...

Oh, and I can't say I'm a fan of Toph's portrayal either.  The lilly-livers thing is worthy of a rant all on its own, but damn is she uncompromising in these comics!  I know she's a lot like this in the show, but...I can't put my hands on what it is, but...I dunno, the level of antagonising stubbornness she'd shown with Aang was...I dunno, something I would've expected from mid-point-season-2-Toph, not post-series Toph.  Of course, I don't expect her t be saintly in her empathy/sympathy, but jeeeezus, could we have gotten some of that before the last few pages of The Rift?!

...Well, it'll be free, so no pain on my wallet.  Just...I'm still invested in these characters (and I still, to this day, find the sensation odd; first characters of any medium that I've been this invested in...)  I just want them to be in good hands.  Right now, at best, Gene Yang's hands are trembling and unstable...

On the other hand, more Gene?! Doesn't anyone else want to write an ATLA comic?!

The more experienced an employee is, the better said employ is at his job
No.  I hate to say this, but that is far from a universal truth.  I have two words to delve out to you as proof: Frank.  Miller.  Read any of his earliest works, then read his All-Star Batman & Robin comics, then read Holy Terror.

Loopy is perfectly reasonable to be both concerned and annoyed at Gene Yang's seeming monopoly in his employ as comic writer for our beloved franchise.
« Last Edit: Dec 31, 2014 12:40 am by The_Xov » Logged

iKeep: The Airbending Wipeout Obstacle Course from Original Airbenders!
That bastard formerly known as mike50333
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #34 on: Dec 31, 2014 03:09 pm »

And, for the record, my philosophy applies to authors I love, too. James Roberts is my favorite Transformers writer, full stop, but I'm glad he's one of several voices doing Transformers comics these days, alongside Shane McCarthy, Tom Scioli, and John Barber. I wouldn't mind Furman getting some more work, too, even though I haven't been thrilled with his most recent output.

The_Xov
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #35 on: Dec 31, 2014 04:44 pm »

And, for the record, my philosophy applies to authors I love, too. James Roberts is my favorite Transformers writer, full stop, but I'm glad he's one of several voices doing Transformers comics these days, alongside Shane McCarthy, Tom Scioli, and John Barber. I wouldn't mind Furman getting some more work, too, even though I haven't been thrilled with his most recent output.
Say, just for clarification (on my part), does this apply to stories w/one writer or multiple writers?  Or both?  If I recall correctly, the original series had a slew of writers manning the metaphorical pen.

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #36 on: Dec 31, 2014 06:38 pm »

Well, the early Transformers comics were dominated by a single writer, Bob Budiansky (although Denny O'Neil created Optimus Prime). After he got burnt out five years in, he handed the comics over to Simon Furman, who was then The writer of Transformers comics for the next fifteen years or so. It was only in the 2000s that they started to diversify the writing, and for all that I like Furman, you can definitely see where he started recycling ideas and losing some of his drive. For the current line of comics published by IDW, Furman was brought back to lay the foundation, but then all the other writers I listed in my previous post took over and expanded on it, to really great effect.

The cartoons, of course, were always done by a big writing team.

For most creator-owned works, I'm happy for the original writer to keep going with it. But for something big enough in terms of scope and worldbuilding- like Star Wars, or the Marvel and DC superhero universes- I think there's value in letting other creators play in the same universe and add to it. I don't consider ATLA to be creator-owned, as the Mike and the Bryan had a big writing team for the episodes along with Eric Coleman and Aaron Ehasz at the development stage, and I think it's a huge universe that deserves lots of exploration, so it's the perfect candidate for multiple (coordinated) voices cutting loose on both the current timeframe and the world's history.

And I wouldn't even mind Gene Yang continuing with ATLA, so long as he continues to improve, or sticks to the stuff he does best (like Spirit-stuff, or Mai's characterization). But I'd love to see other people get a chance to contribute, especially on low-impact stuff like the FCBD issues.
« Last Edit: Dec 31, 2014 06:39 pm by Loopy » Logged

Solid Sun
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

dio did nothing wrong

« Reply #37 on: Dec 31, 2014 06:40 pm »

Bring Kirkman in and let him kill some fodders.

The_Xov
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #38 on: Dec 31, 2014 07:56 pm »

Bring Kirkman in and let him kill some fodders.
Kill some fodders?  We talking red-shirts?  Oh, you mean those Ozai Society Chump chumps?

Antiyonder
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #39 on: Jan 24, 2015 03:58 pm »

http://www.freecomicbookday.com/Home/1/1/27/1042?stockItemID=STK666536

Well, there's the option to preview the story now.
AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #40 on: Jan 24, 2015 04:14 pm »

http://www.freecomicbookday.com/Home/1/1/27/1042?stockItemID=STK666536

Well, there's the option to preview the story now.

Heh... I genuinely LEL'd  Cheesy.

Keeper of Suki's firebending ancestry, the Kyoshi Warrior dojo, the love potion made from rainbows and sunsets and the mecha tanks.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #41 on: Jan 24, 2015 09:37 pm »

Wow. I'm kind of speechless.

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #42 on: Jan 24, 2015 09:43 pm »

That is every bad fanfic I've read about Ty Lee in two pages. Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Seriously, where did it come from that Ty Lee's sisters all have names starting with "Ty?"

Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #43 on: Jan 24, 2015 09:49 pm »

In Chinese culture, it's very common for the first character of a name to be the same for all subsequent brothers/sisters. If the character is gender neutral, there will be the same first characters for both brothers and sisters.

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #44 on: Jan 24, 2015 09:52 pm »

Huh, very astute of the fanfic community to pick up that. Usually, I see Avatar characters dancing waltzes.

fireywaters
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Peace on Avatar, before peace in real life

« Reply #45 on: Jan 24, 2015 10:02 pm »

For some reasons, this reminds me of Bolin naming by name all of his cousins. It is just wierd. And Toph just showed up out of no where.

This does remind of that episode of Teen Titans, when they went inside Raven's mind and we saw all these Ravens and different of her personality. I kind of see that with all the sisters.
« Last Edit: Jan 24, 2015 10:08 pm by fireywaters » Logged

Peace between the Fire Nation and the other nations, before peace in our world
The_Xov
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #46 on: Jan 25, 2015 01:50 am »

Well, I've given the preview a look, and I think I've purged myself of a lot of illogical, over-critical, and biased ranting.  Mainly the biased ranting.  Let's see if I can share my thoughts without blowing up.

So far...Ehhhhhhh...  I don't hate it, that's for certain.  I'm not terribly excited, but I will be happy to drop about ten minutes into reading the short in its entirety.

First thing to note, the art is <ALLTHEEMPHASIS>VASTLY</ALLTHEEMPHASIS> improved over last-year's.  Carla Speed McNeil makes for a nice addition to the A:TLA Comics team, and I hope to see her featured in future projects.  In the spirit of nit-picking, though, there's one small inconsistency that's bugging me.  Ms. McNeil seems really inconsistent in drawing the lip(stick?) on Ty Lee when her face is close-up.  For instance, the second page features said lipstick on every panel where we get a good look of her face.  But in the third page, it only shows up in the fourth panel, and it's nothing but close looks at her face as she interacts w/ her sisters.

Anywho, plot/story-wise...  Soooo Ty's becoming dissatisfied with her service with the Kyoshi Warriors.  Nothing feels right, per her words.  Maybe it's because for some bizarre reason, The Kyoshi Warriors have relocated from Kyoshi Island to the Fire Nation Capital...  ...  Whyyyyyy?  Are Zuko's guards really so inept that Suki's had to bring her entire division of Warriors with her to train and guard things?  Also (yes, I'm delving into Linkara-ish territory), why on earth does Suki just stare as Toph steals one of her warriors away; you're not going to at least object?  And this might be mean, but would Suki really let Ty Lee sit away from training or drills just because she's feeling down-in-the-dumps?

I'm not full of nitpicks and negativity, here.  Besides the drawing of Ty Lee in Kyoshi Warrior garb (Jeez, McNeil does a good job), plus Toph's usual teeth-picking, I really like this exchange:

Toph: Well, I've got just the thing to punch that aura of yours back into place!

Ty Lee: An aura isn't really something you punch.

They show up at the circus.  Nice to see it's finally come back home.  Though, I have to ask.  How many circuses does anyone think the Fire Nation has had?  They have an exclusive rule against fun for students both in and out of school.  Call me nuts, but I don't think circuses would be a wide-spread thing in the mainland.  Maybe one, two tops, but still...  Come on Ty Lee, you should've recognized the fact that it was your circus five seconds into walking onto the property!  Ignore your old crotchety Ringmaster, how on earth do you not recognize both the PINK BIG TENT and the PLATYPUS BEAR?!  Come on, he's even in the same outfit!  (God, I hate when people write Ty Lee as a nit wit. <_<)

...Waaaait.  That poster.  It has the platypus bear juggling eggs.  Ignoring how cool that is, is it juggling its own eggs?  Does the ringmaster occasionally make it drop the eggs in the name of population control?  ...  I feel uncomfortable now...

Heh.  Suki was wearing dude clothes in Season 3.  That, or its unisex.  Or that's a girl, but with a flat chest.  I'll stop thinking on it now.

Also, that second panel on the second page.  The way Toph's drawn, it makes her look like she has slightly chubby cheeks...  I wish I could pinch those things and live. lol

Soooooo, Ty goes to meet with her old ringmaster, he thinks she's part of the troop, shoves her into the tent- oh COME ON!

I'm not even looking at that panel yet with the sisters being introduced, and it's painfully obvious where they're going with this!

...They're really all the same...The fu-?!  ...  I won't say that it's impossible to have a perfect set of sextuplet twins, but...  Okay, first, how does a womb hold all of them?  Second, HOW DOES A- okay, I'm a dude, ignorant, and unfamiliar with OB-GYN knowledge, I'll stop harping on that.  Thirdly.  ... HOW- kidding.  ...Seriously though, none of them thought to have a different hair style?  Jeez, no wonder Ty Lee went nuts.

Hey, wait!  In The Beach, she complained about how she sometimes felt like she didn't have her own name- I think that denotes that people often mixed them up.  HOW DOES SHE TELL THEM APART?!  Oh, wait, there's a height difference with a few of them.  I guess that helps.  Aside from Grumpy in Gold, I can't tell that they have different personalities, yet.  Maybe they each have a distinct smell? lol

So I'm not entirely sure how to feel about the backstory on the sisters that led to their joining the circus.  On the one hand, the catalyst of their even showing up at the circus at all was the fact that her parents sent them to fetch her.  ...  Odd that they sent the entire troop out for one, but...okay?  Also, it does make me wonder how she'd react if said sisters got to her first...  Might have even been interesting if them and Azula found Ty Lee back-to-back.  I imagine she'd find a way to manipulate the girls into thinking Ty Lee didn't care about them anymore, and then manipulated Ty Lee into using the girls' running off to make the task of making the acrobat join her easier by breaking her spirit; perhaps to the point where she wouldn't want to perform for the circus anymore...  First-draft idea, though... 

Speaking of first-draft, though, I have got one hell of a gripe as we close out the preview.  I find myself sharing in Ty Lee's expression of disbelief/shock in the fact that not only did all SIX of her sisters join the circus, but ALL SIX of them happen to be skilled acrobats, ALL SIX of them were able to be trained as trapeze/various-other-acrobatic-type-performance artists, and ALL SIX OF THEM, save for Ty Woo, who I officially theorize is forever annoyed that she didn't get a name with an L in it, appears to be absolutely giddy about it.  I mean, come on! None of them had an interest for anything post-Ty-Lee-Running-Away beyond the circus?!  None of them broke apart as a unit in the last six-plus months?!  WHY DID TY LEE'S PARENTS WAIT SO LONG TO SEND ANYONE AFTER HER?!

So yeah, this comic is...interesting.  I guess we'll see how the story plays out in a few months.
« Last Edit: Jan 25, 2015 01:58 am by The_Xov » Logged

Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I can't think of anything clever to say.

« Reply #47 on: Jan 25, 2015 02:44 am »

Eh, I'm not really feeling it.

Honestly, Toph doing anything to help Ty Lee feel better is a little odd. It seems OOC for her to really care. I was under the assumption that this comic was going to have them be thrown together by circumstance and not Toph voluntarily going out of her way to cheer up Ty Lee.

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character." (As said by me)
Mahaanus
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #48 on: Jan 25, 2015 06:05 am »

Huh, very astute of the fanfic community to pick up that.

Well, some people do research.

Eh, I'm not really feeling it.

Honestly, Toph doing anything to help Ty Lee feel better is a little odd. It seems OOC for her to really care. I was under the assumption that this comic was going to have them be thrown together by circumstance and not Toph voluntarily going out of her way to cheer up Ty Lee.

I'm going to go with this for now. It feels kind of weird for Toph to care about Ty Lee's emotional well-being.

AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #49 on: Jan 25, 2015 07:24 am »

Anywho, plot/story-wise...  Soooo Ty's becoming dissatisfied with her service with the Kyoshi Warriors.  Nothing feels right, per her words.  Maybe it's because for some bizarre reason, The Kyoshi Warriors have relocated from Kyoshi Island to the Fire Nation Capital...  ...  Whyyyyyy?  Are Zuko's guards really so inept that Suki's had to bring her entire division of Warriors with her to train and guard things?  Also (yes, I'm delving into Linkara-ish territory), why on earth does Suki just stare as Toph steals one of her warriors away; you're not going to at least object?  And this might be mean, but would Suki really let Ty Lee sit away from training or drills just because she's feeling down-in-the-dumps?

Those Kyoshi Warriors are not the real-real Kyoshi Warriors, but the Clone Warriors. They probably represent the Fire Nation division freshly recruited by Suki in the last Free Comic. Otherwise, it does look like the Kyoshi Warrior's assignment is permanent.

And Ty Lee is down because there have been no snu-snu times between the Kyoshi Warriors lately, as every Kyoshi Warrior is busy guarding Zuko's body Cheesy.

Keeper of Suki's firebending ancestry, the Kyoshi Warrior dojo, the love potion made from rainbows and sunsets and the mecha tanks.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: