Dec 11, 2017 09:05 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Comic:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [DH Comics #10] Smoke and Shadow, Part 1  (Read 14856 times)
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #25 on: Sep 27, 2015 04:10 pm »

Their actual names are "Sister." It was popular on Kyoshi Island for a while, up until things reached a critical mass of confusion.

This has led to a bad habit that's shared by that entire generation, of calling every single female they meet "Sister." Since they have a 97.4% chance of actually talking to a Sister at any given time, there's no reason to bother learning anyone's name, and the minor embarrassment of refering that way to someone who isn't a Sister just isn't worth worrying about.

Kyoshi Island is a silly place.

The_Xov
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #26 on: Sep 27, 2015 06:58 pm »

Their actual names are "Sister." It was popular on Kyoshi Island for a while, up until things reached a critical mass of confusion.

This has led to a bad habit that's shared by that entire generation, of calling every single female they meet "Sister." Since they have a 97.4% chance of actually talking to a Sister at any given time, there's no reason to bother learning anyone's name, and the minor embarrassment of refering that way to someone who isn't a Sister just isn't worth worrying about.

Kyoshi Island is a silly place.
That explains why Kyoshi Warrior #13 referred to Mai as well as Ty Lee as sister.

Okay, wouldn't that bug Ty Lee a bit?  She still holds individuality among her priorities, yet being called a generic noun doesn't make her at least slightly shiver?

Goddamnit Gene Yang, I'm trying to forget your latest 13-page blunder, stop resurfacing those memories. <_<

iKeep: The Airbending Wipeout Obstacle Course from Original Airbenders!
That bastard formerly known as mike50333
HikaruIzumi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #27 on: Sep 28, 2015 01:55 pm »

Okay, wouldn't that bug Ty Lee a bit?  She still holds individuality among her priorities, yet being called a generic noun doesn't make her at least slightly shiver?
No, Ursa v2 likes feeling like someone cares for her and the evil OzaiAzula doesn't abuse her anymore. Soon, Ty Lee will start a brand new family with Mai and get a face change.

Revolutionary Airbender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm in the void.

« Reply #28 on: Oct 03, 2015 05:42 am »

This comic is allright. I like The Search more so far, if we're only comparing the first parts. I agree that the dialogue could be better, but I like the artstyle and the direction where the story seems to be going. All in all, a good read, but nothing spectacular, I gave it a 6.
The_Xov
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #29 on: Oct 03, 2015 09:29 am »

Well now.  It's almost weird how little conversation this comic's generating amongst our humble little(ish) community...  Have not many read it yet or is interest just low right now?

AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #30 on: Oct 03, 2015 09:37 am »

Well now.  It's almost weird how little conversation this comic's generating amongst our humble little(ish) community...  Have not many read it yet or is interest just low right now?

I'm getting it at Monday at best, so be patient  Wink. I have already noticed an interesting bit ~snip~, and I'm like totally 'WTF M8?' now.

Do not talk about illegal ways to read the comic! ~ Icy
« Last Edit: Oct 03, 2015 08:47 pm by Icy_Ashford » Logged

Keeper of Suki's firebending ancestry, the Kyoshi Warrior dojo, the love potion made from rainbows and sunsets and the mecha tanks.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
The_Xov
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #31 on: Oct 03, 2015 01:19 pm »

Well now.  It's almost weird how little conversation this comic's generating amongst our humble little(ish) community...  Have not many read it yet or is interest just low right now?

I'm getting it at Monday at best, so be patient  Wink. I have already noticed an interesting bit ~snip~, and I'm like totally 'WTF M8?' now.
Scans are the only reason I even know what happened - flat broke right now investing in stuff to support the business...and slightly lesser essential things.

Hoping to see it on Comixology soon.
« Last Edit: Oct 03, 2015 08:47 pm by Icy_Ashford » Logged

Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I can't think of anything clever to say.

« Reply #32 on: Oct 04, 2015 12:58 pm »

I finally got it and got around to reading it. Here are my thoughts:

Reading the past page about it...it seems like there is a lot of hate being directed at this comic from this site (which is a little odd because everywhere else had very positive things to say about it). Personally...I have mixed feelings.

I didn't miss Aang, Katara, and Sokka as much as I thought I would (though I am glad they are coming back). However...I'm just not invested in Mai and Ty Lee. I don't dislike the characters but...there is a reason that they were side characters in the show. I personally don't think that they can hold a story up by themselves. Their plot line was not bad by any means but it also wasn't great either. It was interesting when it first started as we got caught up with the characters but once we get all caught up...I lost interest. The original show just didn't get me invested in them enough for me to want to read a story about them. They work better as side characters.

And then there is Kei Lo. As for as the OC Gene has created, I feel that he is one of the better ones. He is more on par with Satoru then he is with Toph's students (who are just Asami levels of bad). Kei Lo worked for what the story needed him for. Do I really care about him specifically? Not really. But I am interested in what effects he'll have on the story, Mai, and Zuko. Though, I am not a fan of the apparent love triangle that is going to happen. I don't ship Maiko like I do Kataang but I do like it. Hopefully I don't come out of this story hating it. Also, I think someone already mentioned this, but boy was that kiss panel with Mai and Kei Lo at the end awkward looking. I mean...what happened? It looked terrible and it's weird that the same artists that drew that also drew the Kataang kiss in Promise part 3 (or any of the other kiss scenes really). Huge difference in quality.

In fact, the quality of the art as a whole seemed more inconsistent then the other comics. For the most part, it was on part with the other comics. But then there were a few panels (like the kiss one just talked about) that looked awful. But then there were also entire scenes that looked better then the others. For instance, the scene when Mai and Ty Lee first meet in the restaurant seemed oddly more detailed then then rest of the comic.

For me, the Zuko parts worked. I especially liked the running gag/self awareness, Iroh had when he kept trying to imitate Zuko's angst. I also didn't have a problem with Ursa's portrayal. I'm sure people that hated her in the Search will hate her here to but as someone who had a 'whatever' reaction to her in The Search, I was fine with her here. At the very least, it's consistent with her portrayal that Gene wrote for her. And she worried about Azula but not so much so that I was rolling my eyes about "boo hoo, poor little psychopath" (seriously, I like Azula as much as the next guy but I feel some parts of the fandom are WAY to forgiving to her). I also like how Kiyi has problems with her mom's changed looks.

And then there is the part where Zuko made colored fire. Peopel were talking it up on here so I went into the comic worried about it...and then was kinda confused as to what the fuss was about. There were like...specks of color in the fire here and there...nothing like what the dragons created comparatively. Sure, I don't think it was necessary but I don't really think it takes anything away from Zuko's character. Again, I'm going with a 'whatever' reaction to this.

The Zuko stuff was good though as a whole. No real complaints about that part of the story.

And I'm glad that the timeline stuff with the Rift is explained and wasn't an oversight. Part 1 takes place before the Rift. It seems like part 2 and 3 will take place after the Rift but before the 3 month timeskip at the end of the the Rift. So by the end of this trilogy, outside of any more major time skips, it seems like the last two pages of The Rift part 3 is the furthest point we are at as far as the timeline goes.

Also, the Kemurikage are interesting. Not much else to say about them since they weren't in it much but I like the focus on spirits that these comics are doing. Honestly, I think Gene is doing a better job with the spirits then Bryke did in LoK. Mother of Faces, General Old Iron, and now these things are all interesting, with cool designs that fit with the spirits that we saw in ATLA. The spirits in LoK often came across as generic or just outright stupid looking.

So as a whole...I find the comic...serviceable. None of it was bad but none of it was really all that great either...which is a shame since I thought the Rift Part 3 was the best of the comics and I was hoping they would continue to get better as they had been. As someone who generally loves the comics...I feel like this is one of the worst ones. It doesn't beat The Promise Part 2 for the worst comic award but it's on par with the Rift part 2 which was again, just another serviceable entry that I didn't care for to much. I'm still looking forwards to S&S part 2 and 3 (especially since the gaang will be back) but I hope it gets better and this first part isn't indicative to the quality of the rest of the trilogy; because when I finished reading this...I felt a little unfulfilled. That said, at least this comic still focused on a plot and not a half baked romance (which might be more then can be said about another group of comics set in the Avatar world coming out in the future. Cheesy) So that's always a plus.  

The one major complaint I have is the fight scenes. I don't know why but I just had trouble following them. They didn't flow that well compared to the rest of the comics. I'm not sure if it was the lack of bending or what but something made it harder to follow.

On a kinda unrelated note though, I wonder why this trilogy took so long to come out?
« Last Edit: Oct 04, 2015 01:00 pm by Avatar Epsilon » Logged

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character." (As said by me)
Gundleer
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Because I'm a people person...

« Reply #33 on: Oct 04, 2015 02:17 pm »

Personally I think it took so long because Gene has been writing two other publications (Superman for DC and is own new book Coders).

Did you miss me?
Clowngoon
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #34 on: Oct 04, 2015 05:18 pm »

At least the wait in-between comics isn't as bad as before.

"Some friendships can transcend through lifetimes."

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character."
fireywaters
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Peace on Avatar, before peace in real life

« Reply #35 on: Oct 06, 2015 08:16 pm »

I finally read it and I liked it. To those that think Mai was to OC acting all sweet and calling Kei Lo babe, well that was  makes it so funny, just like Zuko's perky attitude in "The Guru", it is so OC that is what makes it hilarious, I wish this was animated, I would love to hear Mai say those lines, I would roll out laughing.

Great to see Mai and Ty Lee interaction again, for all the time all of Ozai's angels were together, those two spent the most time together, how often did Azula tell them, "I'll go this way, you go that way", the split up as much as the Scooby gang. Not saying Azula is not important, just saying seeing those two together is great in its own right independent of Azula, that being said I hope for a full angels reunion. And we saw Mai and Ty Lee fight along aside each other quick a bit in the old show, it is rare we saw all three angels fight together. Maybe we will see that down the line. I know Mai has her reasons for being mad at Kei Lo, I think that is minimal, I think she is more at her father and Zuko, and taking out her frustration on this poor sap.

Ty Lee's fear of Azula coming back, totally justified, though Mai interrupted her thought and said punish them for betraying her, and Ty Lee said something like that, I think there is more to that, while Ty Lee is afraid of Azula coming back for vengeance, unlike she saw Azula and how far she had fallen and crazy, that perhaps she does feel some sympathy for her and is worried for her, it is possible to be both afraid of someone and afraid of their well being. We will see where that leads.

Kiyi being afraid of Ursa that is understandable, I wonder where they will go with that. I have a feeling Azula is going to play a role in settle that conflict.

I thought Iroh method acting of getting Zuko's angst, that was funny, that has more to do with Iroh having some acting ambition. Perhaps spirit Iroh could have giving Bolin some acting tips. And when he apology to Ursa about all the wrongs his family did to her, I thought that was nice, it is like all those generations later, the good Sozin's dissidents still feel guilty for what Sozin did to Roku, though that family has screwed Iroh just as much as Ursa.

I thought Kiyi asking Zuko if he thought Suki was pretty, I don't read to much into it, expect a ship tease troll, though she said Suki was pretty in her Kyoshi Warrior makeup, and they all look alike when they are in costume, so she is saying the Kyoshi Warriors in general are pretty, perhaps Kiyi might be a future Kyoshi Warrior, wouldn't surprise me, maybe she thinks they are pretty and cool and that is a hint she might follow that path some day, and if she is a non bender, perhaps she can learn to be a non bender that kicks butt. The KW are not bad role models for non benders.

Speaking of which, nice to see some of the other Kyoshi Warriors have lines, and one of them used chi blocking, so those lessons are working, too bad eventually it is going to be a weapon of those Equalists. It is sad to know one Kyoshi Warrior lost her away and let that ability fall into the hands of the Equalists.

Those that complain of Ursa being scared of being in the palace even though Ozai is in jail, well he still has an influence, it is familiar to the influence Zaheer had on Korra in Book 4 of Legend Of Korra, I know it is not exactly the same, perhaps if Ursa visited him, than perhaps it would be even more similar.

Ursa is also worried about Azula, which does kill the theory that she doesn't love Azula. What Zuko response that he thinks Azula is safe, but not sure if she knows happiness, I was thinking the exact same thing before he said. I think it is obvious, Zuko is putting on a brave front, he is worried just like Ursa is. And Kiyi calls Zuko Zuzu, how cute, I guess there is some sisterly bond. And you know what, perhaps Azula little nickname for Zuko did start off as a more kind nice nickname like Kiyi use of it. And the facial expression of Zuko and Ursa she said Zuzu was just priceless.

As for the shipping, yes Mai and Kei Lo are together, I don't think it well last. Gene did say he won't mess with the royal family linage, if Maiko doesn't happen, that is not on Gene, that is on Mike and Bryan. I know they think it is unrealistic that your first love will be your only love for everybody, and I get what they did with Tenzin and Lin as well as Makorra, I can't speak for Tenzin and Lin as we never seen them as a couple, but unlike Korra and Mako, Zuko and Mai they have good chemistry, they compliment each other perfectly, I hope they don't mess with it.

What I can see happening, is Mai protecting Zuko from Azula and saying once again "I love Zuko more than I fear you" right in front of Kei Lo and I think he will get the hint.

Now that Tom Tom is kidnapped which I think is punishment towards Mai's dad for the New Ozai's failures, perhaps Mai's dad will switch sides. maybe he will realize family is more important than politics, though the part when Mai said her dad is not stupid, well Mai doesn't remember the events of "Return To Omashu", her dad is an idiot.

Can't wait for part 2, can't wait to see what happens next. I think not just Aang, but all of Team Avatar will be here, part 1 takes place the same time as "The Rift", but now that that we have a 1 month time skip, "The Rift" we might see all of Team Avatar, at the very least Katara, she is pretty much his finance, and if something does happen with Zuko and Suki, Sokka needs to be there, Suki should be honest with him if she is interested in Zuko.

« Last Edit: Oct 06, 2015 08:28 pm by fireywaters » Logged

Peace between the Fire Nation and the other nations, before peace in our world
Clowngoon
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #36 on: Oct 06, 2015 09:22 pm »

I wonder if Ursa's cold hands will lead to something...

"Some friendships can transcend through lifetimes."

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character."
Red Hawk
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #37 on: Oct 06, 2015 11:51 pm »

Oh god, please no love triangle.  Love triangles and Avatar don't mix!
KatrinaKadabra
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #38 on: Oct 07, 2015 02:47 am »

I'm not sure a love triangle is necessarily brewing. I feel like the comics are setting up Suki/Zuko and Kei Lo/Mai as separate couples without too much rivalry or hard feelings in between. (Which... would be weird, since Zuko and Suki had very little interaction in ATLA, but okay, I'll go along with it.) It almost feels like Suki and Sokka broke up off screen or something. She never mentions him. I wasn't particularly attached to Suki/Sokka or Zuko/Mai... but if the couples are going to split up in the comics, I wish there was a bit more space devoted to it.

I loved the self-awareness in Iroh imitating Zuko! One of my first comments after reading this comic was that we see Zuko being way happier than he's been in a long time.

I do feel bad for Kiyi; she sort of got dragged into the whole mess. I like that she gets attached to Zuko, though, rather than being bitter at him (which she could easily have done.)

I like that the New Ozai Society battle was more silly than serious. ("Wait? Who gets mercy? I'm so confused!") It's pretty clear Ukano is in way over his head.

Overall, I very much enjoyed the first book and I'm looking forward to the others.

fireywaters
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Peace on Avatar, before peace in real life

« Reply #39 on: Oct 07, 2015 06:43 am »

So anyone thinks that they are hinting perhaps that Kiyi is a future Kyoshi Warrior? I certainly do.

Peace between the Fire Nation and the other nations, before peace in our world
KatrinaKadabra
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #40 on: Oct 07, 2015 01:23 pm »

So anyone thinks that they are hinting perhaps that Kiyi is a future Kyoshi Warrior? I certainly do.

That would be cool! If Ursa lets her. (If she thinks riding on a flying dolphin fish is dangerous, wait until she sees what the Kyoshi warriors do.)

Red Hawk
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #41 on: Oct 07, 2015 06:52 pm »

More expanded thoughts...

It was kind of..."eh" to me. For the record, I've really enjoyed the comics up to this point. And you'd think that Ozai loyalists plotting against Zuko would make for an interesting story. But it hasn't really hit the right note for me

Part of it might be a lack of antagonist. Mai's dad, Ukano, is the leader of the loyalists, but he's not really villain material. There's a group of spooky spirits called the Kemurikage pushing him to take action, but they don't really take direct action themselves and feel a little distant from the story. There's not a lot of urgency to the story. The first parts of the previous comic arcs all ended with something of a bombshell to keep interest in coming back for the next part, but...this one really didn't have it. The action also felt sort of subpar.

There was more involvement from Mai, Ty Lee, and Suki, which is nice. There's also a bit of fun stuff from Iroh, and he gets in on the action a bit. More annoying is the new character Kei Lo, who is positioned as a love interest for Mai and has me dreading a love triangle.

Maybe part of my blasé reaction comes from that the comics have been a bit overboard with the Fire Nation family. The Promise and The Search both feature Zuko prominently, while The Rift was a refreshing change of pace that focused on Toph and the backstory of Avatar Yangchen. Maybe it wasn't quite time to shift back to the Fire Nation; I might have preferred to see a comic focused on Sokka and Katara. It's not really bad though, and I hope things get more interesting with the next part developing the nature and motivations of the Kemurikage and featuring Azula or Ozai.
« Last Edit: Oct 07, 2015 06:54 pm by Red Hawk » Logged
AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #42 on: Oct 08, 2015 08:32 am »

Okay, so I've just got my Smoke and Shadow, and after reading it, I guess I can say that I'm in the crowd that deems this comic "average but enjoyable". For me, the enjoyable part comes mostly from seeing the Kyoshi Warriors in the comic, and I also liked Kiyi so there is that. The effort to have a 'cloak and shadows' style story is appreciable, kudos for that too even though it isn't working very well. The actions scenes are "bleh" and Ursa is still the lowest point. And Suki's eyes are green instead of blue and her hair is brownish-brown rather than reddish-brown... now this made me mildly angry Angry.

Oh, and Ursa's hands are cold when she is scared/anxious. It is right in the comic. And I almost believed when you guys said that she is dead or something  Cheesy.

And now, the part that made me WTF:
So there is this Kyoshi Warrior on page 35 of the comic, the one who points at the emerging submarine and says "There!" - let's call her Nirmal for the sake of convenience. She was also in the show (and she also had line there, heh...), but in the show her hairstyle was slightly different: she had three buns, one in the top and one on each side see here); in the comic, her top bun is missing however (see page 64 - she is the bowing KW closest to the carriage). So where did the missing bun go? I actually do have an answer:
Quote from: Resolutions
Azula raised the dagger to strike. Kitara turned her head way. She didn’t want to see what was going to happen.

Kyoshi, save us!

She could hear a slicing sound, followed by Nirmal’s shrill scream.

A heavy silence fell to the room.

“Come on, it wasn’t such a big deal at all!” Azula’s voice was like a sword, cutting right into Kitara’s heart.

Nirmal…

Kitara took a deep breath and opened her eyes. The first thing she could see was Nirmal, and she was still alive, sobbing and clearly scared out of her wits but as far as Kitara could determine, she was physically unhurt.

Or at least her body was unhurt. Kitara had an odd feeling that Nirmal was still missing something, and it took her a moment to realize what.

Nirmal wore her hair in three buns: one was on the top back of her head and the two other were on the sides of the bottom back slightly angled downwards. They were like the sides of a triangle that pointed down towards Nirmal’s neck. Or at least they were, until now.

Azula drew out a small piece of cloth to put away her newest acquisition – Nirmal’s big top bun. She used the dagger to cut down the bun.

Just the bun.
This is from one of my fanfictions Grin. Maybe just coincidence and the lacking bun is a graphic error/oversight, but now I kinda' have this theory that GY likes to check out FanFiction.net for ideas  Cheesy.

Keeper of Suki's firebending ancestry, the Kyoshi Warrior dojo, the love potion made from rainbows and sunsets and the mecha tanks.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
KatrinaKadabra
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #43 on: Oct 08, 2015 03:08 pm »

That's so cool! And you should absolutely brag that it was inspired by your fic.

The comic didn't fit my fanon at all; Zuko can't feel temperature changes in my fic, so in the frame where he comments that Ursa's hands are cold, I'm thinking, "Dang it! Couldn't you have taken her by the arm or something?"

Tom-Tom's still around, so my plot in which he grows up to be an evil mastermind still works. And maybe now I can use the kemurikage as his inspiration for all his evil deeds. ^_^

luvavatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #44 on: Oct 08, 2015 03:49 pm »

As a firebender shouldn't he be able to notice when the temperature changes?
KatrinaKadabra
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #45 on: Oct 08, 2015 06:39 pm »

As a firebender shouldn't he be able to notice when the temperature changes?

Hmm... that's a fair point. I'll have to think about that.

My plot is a slight AU in which Azula's lightning paralyzes Zuko, and Katara can't heal it. Aang manages to energybend the both of them, swapping Katara's ability to bloodbend with Zuko's ability to redirect lightning. So, Zuko can move and sense pressure on his body through bloodbending, but he can't detect cold or heat. I didn't really consider how the firebending he retains would affect that, though.

Apologies for the tangent. ^_^;;
« Last Edit: Oct 08, 2015 06:50 pm by KatrinaKadabra » Logged

Cybersun
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #46 on: Oct 09, 2015 01:31 pm »

is anybody interested in how Azula will interact with Ursa when seeing her again.
Gundleer
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Because I'm a people person...

« Reply #47 on: Oct 09, 2015 01:52 pm »

I suspect it will start like this

and will end like this

Did you miss me?
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I can't think of anything clever to say.

« Reply #48 on: Oct 09, 2015 05:02 pm »

I finally read it and I liked it. To those that think Mai was to OC acting all sweet and calling Kei Lo babe, well that was  makes it so funny,

It wasn't OOC because she was faking it. She wasn't really serious.

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character." (As said by me)
KatrinaKadabra
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #49 on: Oct 10, 2015 07:21 am »

I agree with the first one, but I'm hoping the second doesn't come quite so quickly. I'd much rather see Azula on the path to mending things, but clearly with a long way to go.

Please remove the img tag when quoting images next time. ~ Icy
« Last Edit: Oct 10, 2015 09:16 pm by Icy_Ashford » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: