Oct 18, 2019 07:55 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Episode:
10 - 87 (60.4%)
9 - 27 (18.8%)
8 - 11 (7.6%)
7 - 6 (4.2%)
6 - 2 (1.4%)
5 - 1 (0.7%)
4 - 3 (2.1%)
3 - 3 (2.1%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 4 (2.8%)
Total Voters: 144

Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [413] The Last Stand  (Read 88779 times)
Old School
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #250 on: Dec 19, 2014 02:59 am »

You know what I would've liked to have gotten from Su? A "you were right, Kuvira." "I should have stepped in to help the Earth Kingdom when I had the chance." "I should've considered the consequences of letting control over the Earth Kingdom fall into the wrong hands (cue glare at Kuvira)"

Instead, what we got was "You'll pay for this, Captain Planet! (fist shake)" Yeah. Eff you, Su. I hope Kuvira is imprisoned far, far away from your city so that the next person who betrays you doesn't kick-start another war by freeing her.
foolishlove
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #251 on: Dec 19, 2014 03:00 am »

I can't even argue with the naysayers because everyone on Reddit and Twitter and Tumblr are loving the finale. I'm so happy. Everything was perfect.
pyue
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #252 on: Dec 19, 2014 03:01 am »

Regardless of shipping which I don't see as a romantic (I hold hands with my gal pals too), it was a beautiful ending.
You know, I somewhat agree. If I wasn't involved with the fandom and didn't know that Korrasami was a big ship in the fandom, I'm not sure if I would have seen it as purely romantic. I think it's certainly up to interpretation.

wei is bae
Red Hawk
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #253 on: Dec 19, 2014 03:02 am »

Ok, let's give the show some benefit of the doubt and assume that the last sequence is meant to be ambiguous.  Going on a private trip, holding hands, looking in each other's eyes...ambiguous.  Fine.

It's still a poorly executed scene.  Korra and Asami's friendship/relationship has hardly been a focus of this past season, let alone the rest of the series. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth.  Tenzin is a much more meaningful character to Korra.  Korra's final scene should have been of her and Tenzin.

HikaruIzumi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #254 on: Dec 19, 2014 03:02 am »

Me? I just see it as the culmination of a lot of subtext ever since at least the third-season premiere. Or heck, even before that.

Seriously, you have no idea how close my girlfriend and I were to my computer screen, going, "Wait... IS THIS HAPPENING?!" I was getting a little teary-eyed.

Grin
Agreed and same here. I thought I was just seeing too much into it at first or my shipper heart got so involved that I was hallucinating.

I also have to agree with people saying that the last scene was very energising emotionally. To me it felt like harmony was flowing from the screen at me in waves. The music, the art, the atmosphere... all hit the right buttons for me.

swedishskinjer
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I believe in my beliefs. Do you?

« Reply #255 on: Dec 19, 2014 03:03 am »

I'm not sure I agree with labeling people who express mixed or negative thoughts about the finale "naysayers".  Isn't one of the main purposes of a discussion board to engage in conversations with people who hold more than a single point of view?
Solariz
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #256 on: Dec 19, 2014 03:04 am »

Ok, let's give the show some benefit of the doubt and assume that the last sequence is meant to be ambiguous.  Going on a private trip, holding hands, looking in each other's eyes...ambiguous.  Fine.

It's still a poorly executed scene.  Korra and Asami's friendship/relationship has hardly been a focus of this past season, let alone the rest of the series. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth.  Tenzin is a much more meaningful character to Korra.  Korra's final scene should have been of her and Tenzin.

You vocalized my thoughts perfectly. And it sucks because tumblr assumes anyone who isn't thrilled with the final scene is a homophobe -_-
Solid Sun
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

dio did nothing wrong

« Reply #257 on: Dec 19, 2014 03:05 am »

Still, the ending went freaking INSANE, like, Banana Apple Joker insane.

Featuring : Polaris, Zyrax HikaruIzumi, Blue Warpath, Prophet of Doom, Weegee the Airbender, TyLuko4Ever, Johan, Riptide, SunxFire and AtoMaki : D
SMBH
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Lord Zuko is not amused

« Reply #258 on: Dec 19, 2014 03:06 am »

I dunno.  The mangled up buildings is marring the view for me. :p

It's still a pretty gorgeous shot, at least to me. It's going straight into my desktop wallpapers folder, that's for sure.

It's especially poignant when contrasted with the first shot we saw of Republic City:

ATLA Keeps: Kuei's necklace, Pandalilies, Zhaodburns, Sokka's DoBS speech
TLOK Keeps: Sparkly bush, Aang's statue, Korrlok, Asami's racetrack
Ritster21
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #259 on: Dec 19, 2014 03:09 am »

Too bad we know NOTHING about Sokka's family.

Does Tenzin have any cousins?
morbosfist
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #260 on: Dec 19, 2014 03:09 am »

It's a good thing Asami has that infrastructure contract with the city. She'll make out like a bandit after this mess.
The_Xov
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #261 on: Dec 19, 2014 03:10 am »

I dunno.  The mangled up buildings is marring the view for me. :p

It's still a pretty gorgeous shot, at least to me. It's going straight into my desktop wallpapers folder, that's for sure.

It's especially poignant when contrasted with the first shot we saw of Republic City:

http://i.imgur.com/ISoVJvK.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/mU275wm.png
No worries, I admit I was only half-serious with that.  Giving it a second look, I understand what makes it so beautiful.  Ignoring the general contrast of the dark colors of the city against the nighttime sky, the beacon acts as a (fairly heavyhanded, but still) beacon of light and hope, a joyful outcome to such a terrible battle.

Kuvira wanted to control the EE because she... was orphaned and she wanted to be there for the people when their "mother" aka Earth Queen was gone? That's quite an odd motivation.

My thoughts are just all over the place.
Given how pure her motivations started out, I wonder if Kuvira would've actually gone so drunk with power if Su had intervened earlier on, perhaps lended either a helping hand while keeping a close watch over her protoge, or even just gave her some consultation.

Would've saved a LOT of lives and headache.  But then again, I don't think Su ever really cared much about the girl, so...

Honestly, it reminds me of Iroh and Azula.  Azula was twisted, heavily influenced by a father who sought to take advantage of bizarrely murderous tendencies that she'd exhibited as a child (sorta like Barbara Gordan's brother from the Batgirl comics - Gail Simone's run).  Yet instead of at least trying to help her, Iroh just treated her like perminently spoiled goods and just tried to protect Zuko as if he could keep him from corruption.  It's one of the things I love about the The Search comics.  Zuko at least tried to help, to treat her with love and respect, even when he didn't really know how to do that.  He was/is(?) trying to reach out, to bring his sister back from the abyss of no return that his father threw her into.  That is so much more than can be said of Iroh in A:TLA or Su in T:LOK.

I'm going to go turn in.  The longer I stay here right now, the longer I'll keep harping on this point.

G'night folks.

+17
« Last Edit: Dec 19, 2014 03:13 am by The_Xov » Logged

iKeep: The Airbending Wipeout Obstacle Course from Original Airbenders!
That bastard formerly known as mike50333
Old School
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #262 on: Dec 19, 2014 03:12 am »

Having a shot of another portal shooting out of the opposite side of the Earth would've been the best possible thing.
Spiritwhisperer
Forum Moderator
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #263 on: Dec 19, 2014 03:13 am »

Having a shot of another portal shooting out of the opposite side of the Earth would've been the best possible thing.

Like.. just randomly out of the middle of the ocean Grin

"In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.”
- Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
SMBH
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Lord Zuko is not amused

« Reply #264 on: Dec 19, 2014 03:15 am »

There HAS to be another portal on the opposite side. Seriously, those things totally have to exist in matched pairs. North Pole/South Pole. Republic City/??.

ATLA Keeps: Kuei's necklace, Pandalilies, Zhaodburns, Sokka's DoBS speech
TLOK Keeps: Sparkly bush, Aang's statue, Korrlok, Asami's racetrack
ViridianIV
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #265 on: Dec 19, 2014 03:16 am »

Does anybody get the feeling, just through dialogue over this season and the way this ended, that perhaps Korra and Asami had (if they are indeed a coupe now) potentially BEEN a couple since somewhere in season 3?  The way she only sent a letter to Asami with the 'the others wouldn't understand' stuff and how low key it was played here, Asami just walks up sits down and Korra very clearly isn't surprised and then they're just like, 'hey let's vacation!  Just the two of us!'

Anyway.  Something else I think I'd like to note.  Quality aside (as season three was the best and season four ties with season one for second place in quality for me) in terms of immediacy and danger, the series feels like it actually climaxed at the end of season two and then these last two seasons were the seasons of 'The Avatar's Job' indicating that for the Avatar....

It never. frigging. stops.

Being the Avatar has to suck.

"In the time before the Avatar, we bent not the elements, but the energy within ourselves."
                  -Lion Turtle dropping the mic
Spiritwhisperer
Forum Moderator
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #266 on: Dec 19, 2014 03:17 am »

Being the Avatar has to suck.

It comes with perks though.

"In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.”
- Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
Flamewheel4354
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #267 on: Dec 19, 2014 03:17 am »

You know what I just realized? We never saw Tonraq after 402. I wonder how he reacted to Korra lying to him...
The_Xov
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #268 on: Dec 19, 2014 03:18 am »

...And then a bunch of naked Korra angel-like spirits will pour out of the portals, soar into orbit above the planet, shove Pai-Sho pieces into their chests, and trigger the First Impact.  Everyone exploding into ectoplasmic goop and blood pours out of the Korras and floods the earth.  And then it turns out that Republic City is the only refuge left for humanity.

And then the spirits attack, marking their new reign over the earth.

iKeep: The Airbending Wipeout Obstacle Course from Original Airbenders!
That bastard formerly known as mike50333
morbosfist
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #269 on: Dec 19, 2014 03:19 am »

You know what I just realized? We never saw Tonraq after 402. I wonder how he reacted to Korra lying to him...
Well, he's at the wedding, so he must have gotten over it. I'm sure he'd be supportive if a bit annoyed at first.
Fate
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Avvy made by caves.

« Reply #270 on: Dec 19, 2014 03:19 am »

From Forbes.com:

"The Legend of Korra delivers the best series finale of 2014."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/merrillbarr/2014/12/19/the-legend-of-korra-delivers-the-best-series-finale-of-2014/
Goodfella
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

On the Isle of Sanity

« Reply #271 on: Dec 19, 2014 03:19 am »

Tbf, I think I spotted Tonraq at the wedding so it's clear him and Korra must've talked at a point. It's just a shame we didn't see Korra seeing her parents again.
Old School
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #272 on: Dec 19, 2014 03:19 am »

Like.. just randomly out of the middle of the ocean Grin

There HAS to be another portal on the opposite side. Seriously, those things totally have to exist in matched pairs. North Pole/South Pole. Republic City/??.

"What's on the other side of the Avatar World" is perhaps the last great mystery of the Avatarverse. Even greater than the identity of Su's dad.

There has to be something other than water back there.
Selofain
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I am a worm on a cloud.

« Reply #273 on: Dec 19, 2014 03:20 am »

Now I have an image of the planet looking like it's been skewered with two colorful sticks. Blue/orange and green/purple. We never did really face away from the portal while in the spirit world. The second portal was totally there.

Keeper of Old Ba Sing Se and Piandao's sword mastery
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #274 on: Dec 19, 2014 03:21 am »

Is that Hasook playing the clarinet on the left in the band?

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: