Dec 12, 2017 08:55 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Episode:
10 - 41 (74.5%)
9 - 9 (16.4%)
8 - 4 (7.3%)
7 - 0 (0%)
6 - 0 (0%)
5 - 1 (1.8%)
4 - 0 (0%)
3 - 0 (0%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [412] Day of the Colossus  (Read 6930 times)
Funkybender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #50 on: Dec 19, 2014 03:38 pm »

Yeah if Meelo released even a tiny puff of flatulence I would have had to pause the episode and step outside for a few minutes.

The humor was really well-played in this episode. None of it was out of place in my opinion.
Xagzan
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #51 on: Dec 19, 2014 03:48 pm »

Hey, and Pema actually had lines. And a very Meelo-like smirk.

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #52 on: Dec 19, 2014 04:30 pm »

Meelo is a mix of Aang and Sokka, strong but so hilarious Cheesy

This was actually one of the few times I found him to be funny. And the paint idea was brilliant. I also loved how he saved his dad. I like to see their love in such palpable ways.

The paint idea was pretty brilliant. I was even more surprised that Kuvira was actually prepared for the paint idea.

I was surprised as well. Kuvira truly was crazy prepared. If she hand't been facing against the Avatar, they would not have a chance against her.

And it's all thanks to BJ.

If his family doesn't want him back, I'm sure every nation in the world (except the Air Nation, obvs) would want to employ him making indestructible super-weapons that can cover every single contingency and that only a diabolical genius mastermind like Hiroshi can stop. And Hiroshi is dead.

Man, good thing Fire Lord Izumi doesn't want to take over the world. Yet.

Xagzan
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #53 on: Dec 19, 2014 04:36 pm »

Meelo is a mix of Aang and Sokka, strong but so hilarious Cheesy

This was actually one of the few times I found him to be funny. And the paint idea was brilliant. I also loved how he saved his dad. I like to see their love in such palpable ways.

The paint idea was pretty brilliant. I was even more surprised that Kuvira was actually prepared for the paint idea.

I was surprised as well. Kuvira truly was crazy prepared. If she hand't been facing against the Avatar, they would not have a chance against her.

And it's all thanks to BJ.

If his family doesn't want him back, I'm sure every nation in the world (except the Air Nation, obvs) would want to employ him making indestructible super-weapons that can cover every single contingency and that only a diabolical genius mastermind like Hiroshi can stop. And Hiroshi is dead.

She's just waiting for the old man to bite it. Biding her time, scheming. Just like her aunt taught her.

kotor10
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #54 on: Dec 19, 2014 04:57 pm »

When Bolin, Lin and Su Yin, earthbended that giant rock building and directed to land right on the Colossus and Kuvira, I was thinking, good, let that house fall on you, you wicked witch, lol. Sorry I just got Wizard of Oz memory in watching that scene, lol.
Selofain
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I am a worm on a cloud.

« Reply #55 on: Dec 19, 2014 07:57 pm »

Me, I was just laughing at how literally all the buildings are earth. Like, yes, that makes it easy to build and rebuild, but it's also really really easy to destroy. Still, I liked seeing them tear and bend the buildings at the colossus.

Keeper of Old Ba Sing Se and Piandao's sword mastery
Old School
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #56 on: Dec 19, 2014 08:29 pm »

Let's put it this way. The last few years have seen civil wars within the United Republic, Water Tribes and Earth Kingdom, as well as the rise of a psychic bloodbending cult leader, Kung Fu Action Ant-Jesus, an anarchist world-leader-assassinating Airbender, and Earth Hitler.

I can't see the Fire Nation putting up with the rest of the world's BS for much longer.
SMBH
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Lord Zuko is not amused

« Reply #57 on: Dec 20, 2014 02:11 am »

Me, I was just laughing at how literally all the buildings are earth. Like, yes, that makes it easy to build and rebuild, but it's also really really easy to destroy. Still, I liked seeing them tear and bend the buildings at the colossus.

That's why Lin was so mad at Korra way back in the first episode. Earthbending in the middle of downtown, causing property damage like it was no big deal Tongue

ATLA Keeps: Kuei's necklace, Pandalilies, Zhaodburns, Sokka's DoBS speech
TLOK Keeps: Sparkly bush, Aang's statue, Korrlok, Asami's racetrack
nightingale
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

This duality in me, ice and fire within.

« Reply #58 on: Dec 20, 2014 02:16 am »

That's why Lin was so mad at Korra way back in the first episode. Earthbending in the middle of downtown, causing property damage like it was no big deal Tongue

Which is kind of fridge horror if you think about it. So if someone is drunk or goes into a fit of rage they can simply bend a bulding to the ground? The Water Tribe building are even worse because they are made ice. So can they literally liquify them in seconds? :/

But four babies playing a game can make a playworld which licks your real world hollow... I'm on Aslan's side even if there isn't any Aslan to lead it. I'm going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn't any Narnia.

-Puddleglum, The Silver Chair
Ritster21
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #59 on: Dec 20, 2014 02:42 am »

Which is kind of fridge horror if you think about it. So if someone is drunk or goes into a fit of rage they can simply bend a bulding to the ground? The Water Tribe building are even worse because they are made ice. So can they literally liquify them in seconds? :/

They possible can. There are probably very strict rules on bending in the city.
TishToshTesh
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #60 on: Dec 20, 2014 02:48 am »

There are some very Bad Things that bending can do, really.  Bloodbending (as we've seen it) and asphyxiation (RIP, Earth Queen) are tame compared to what could happen.  To me, it makes sense to have Earth-based Earth Kingdom-Empire-Whatever buildings and Ice-based Water tribe construction.  Yes, someone on a rampage would be a liability, but containment and repair would also be much easier... and someone really bent on causing trouble would find plenty to do with what we think of as standard materials anyway.
nightingale
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #61 on: Dec 20, 2014 04:29 am »

There are some very Bad Things that bending can do, really.  Bloodbending (as we've seen it) and asphyxiation (RIP, Earth Queen) are tame compared to what could happen.  To me, it makes sense to have Earth-based Earth Kingdom-Empire-Whatever buildings and Ice-based Water tribe construction.  Yes, someone on a rampage would be a liability, but containment and repair would also be much easier... and someone really bent on causing trouble would find plenty to do with what we think of as standard materials anyway.

Although I do find it interesting that the Southern Water Tribe buldings are made of wood and stone...

But four babies playing a game can make a playworld which licks your real world hollow... I'm on Aslan's side even if there isn't any Aslan to lead it. I'm going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn't any Narnia.

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #62 on: Dec 20, 2014 04:52 pm »

Katara had a hissy fit in the big ice palace in the Northern Water Tribe and all she did was break some pots of water and crack a little surface ice. And she's a prodigy.

Although, that probably answers why Pakku is so high up on the social ladder. Just in case someone decides to try to do worse, he's there to take out the trash.

Lightningbend
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #63 on: Dec 20, 2014 06:53 pm »

They possible can. There are probably very strict rules on bending in the city.

I wonder if it's something anyone has ever really thought of. "Oh hey man! We've had a bad day! Let's go take down some skyscrapers!"

What I'm really curious about is the difficulty of bending that much earth upwards and shaping it in such an exact form.

Legend of Korra, Nickelodeon's redheaded step-child.
Selofain
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I am a worm on a cloud.

« Reply #64 on: Dec 20, 2014 08:17 pm »

Not to mention bending it around the metal bits that are either structural or piping or wiring. Or would they metalbend the metal bits through the earth later? Simultaneously?

Seriously, how much easier is construction when you have earthbenders and metalbenders?

Keeper of Old Ba Sing Se and Piandao's sword mastery
nightingale
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #65 on: Dec 20, 2014 09:33 pm »

Not to mention bending it around the metal bits that are either structural or piping or wiring. Or would they metalbend the metal bits through the earth later? Simultaneously?

Seriously, how much easier is construction when you have earthbenders and metalbenders?

But like half a dozen Dai Li took down the wall of Ba Sing Se in ATLA. The same wall the FN were only able to penetrate twice, and not for long.

Magicman710
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #66 on: Dec 21, 2014 04:44 pm »

I'm just going to say I was really glad that we finally got to see some serious AS Korra power in this episode.

This blast is by far the most powerful example of airbending we've seen in the series:

Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #67 on: Dec 23, 2014 07:10 am »

As I looked through the credits, Wu and the Earth Empire Captain who chased after the civilians are voiced by the same person.

Wow, that must have been quite an experience for the VA to do two opposing characters.

Also, something I noticed in the hummingbird suits.

The Avatar World uses what appears to be Roman numerals now?

I highly doubt it's Chinese for 1 and 2 even though they're written as 一 and 二  because the II on the switch are of same length and parallel to each other compared to the Chinese 二 where one line is longer than the other.
« Last Edit: Dec 23, 2014 07:29 am by Icy_Ashford » Logged

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
SMBH
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Lord Zuko is not amused

« Reply #68 on: Dec 23, 2014 11:42 pm »

4555 HD screenshots for this episode, courtesy of plushu:

http://korra.avatarspirit.net/screenshots.php?quality=hd&num=412

ATLA Keeps: Kuei's necklace, Pandalilies, Zhaodburns, Sokka's DoBS speech
TLOK Keeps: Sparkly bush, Aang's statue, Korrlok, Asami's racetrack
AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #69 on: Dec 25, 2014 06:08 pm »

As I looked through the credits, Wu and the Earth Empire Captain who chased after the civilians are voiced by the same person.

Wow, that must have been quite an experience for the VA to do two opposing characters.

Also, something I noticed in the hummingbird suits.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r270/Icy_Ashford/ASN/Numbers.png

The Avatar World uses what appears to be Roman numerals now?

I highly doubt it's Chinese for 1 and 2 even though they're written as 一 and 二  because the II on the switch are of same length and parallel to each other compared to the Chinese 二 where one line is longer than the other.

The symbols represent the covers. The green has two symbols because it also flips up the red cover.

It is still pretty weird though, as when you flip up the cover, you prime the launch charges (at least IRL) - so you can't eject one seat without priming the charges for the other too. Sitting on primed charges is not exactly safe if you don't want to activate them.
« Last Edit: Dec 25, 2014 06:11 pm by AtoMaki » Logged

Keeper of Suki's firebending ancestry, the Kyoshi Warrior dojo, the love potion made from rainbows and sunsets and the mecha tanks.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #70 on: Dec 27, 2014 03:36 am »

The symbols represent the covers. The green has two symbols because it also flips up the red cover.

It is still pretty weird though, as when you flip up the cover, you prime the launch charges (at least IRL) - so you can't eject one seat without priming the charges for the other too. Sitting on primed charges is not exactly safe if you don't want to activate them.
Huh...? The "I" symbol meant upper chamber (Zhu Li and Asami) and "II" meant lower chamber (Varrick and Hirsohi) for me. Hiroshi flipped "I" and it ejected Asami without affecting his seat.

I'm not sure what you mean about the priming? It seems to me that if pilot "I" who is controlling the wings/steering is ejected, pilot "II" won't be able to fly the machine since their controls are for the arms and not the wings. Hence why "II" is connected to "I" because what's the use of "II" staying in the mech if they can't navigate the suit which is the job of "I"?

Sorry if my words are confusing.

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #71 on: Dec 27, 2014 08:22 am »

Huh...? The "I" symbol meant upper chamber (Zhu Li and Asami) and "II" meant lower chamber (Varrick and Hirsohi) for me. Hiroshi flipped "I" and it ejected Asami without affecting his seat.

I'm not sure what you mean about the priming? It seems to me that if pilot "I" who is controlling the wings/steering is ejected, pilot "II" won't be able to fly the machine since their controls are for the arms and not the wings. Hence why "II" is connected to "I" because what's the use of "II" staying in the mech if they can't navigate the suit which is the job of "I"?

Hm, I thought that they had buttons under the switches, but now I can see that they had only the switches, but no buttons. Well, roman numbers then Smiley.

Also, if "II" (co-pilot) is connected to "I" (pilot), then there is no way that the co-pilot can eject only himself.   That's a very... interesting design choice.

Keeper of Suki's firebending ancestry, the Kyoshi Warrior dojo, the love potion made from rainbows and sunsets and the mecha tanks.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #72 on: Dec 27, 2014 09:09 am »

Also, if "II" (co-pilot) is connected to "I" (pilot), then there is no way that the co-pilot can eject only himself.   That's a very... interesting design choice.
I can imagine Varrick having an over the top and hilarious explanation for that design choice and Asami would be staring at him with disbelief.

Quick, someone write it! =P

Funkybender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #73 on: Dec 27, 2014 03:55 pm »

The concern would be that if the sequence primed both charges to explode and one or both pilots chose not to eject, the charges could explode before the canopy was jettisoned. Ejection seats operate using either an explosive charge that sends gas into the pipes below the seat, and the pressure forces it up and outward, or a rocket motor that propels the seat upward. The Hummingbird mechs are using the explosive cartridge system.

Rambling ahead; feel free to ignore...

I don't think there is any way for the pilot to eject only him or herself since in this design the copilot sits above them, unless there is a downward facing ejection system for the pilot. The co-pilot might have a similar switch on their panel that allows them to either eject themselves alone or initiate an ejection sequence for both crewmembers. In one military fighter whose ejection system I'm most familiar with, the co-pilot (called the radar intercept officer) has a lever on his panel that he can use to specify how the ejection system will work. They can set it to PILOT or MCO; PILOT would mean that each individual crewmember controls their own ejection: the co-pilot could eject themselves only if they wanted to, but if the pilot activated the ejection sequence both crewmembers would go. MCO mode means that no matter who initiates the sequence, both pilots are going. In all cases the co-pilot goes first (like the Hummingbird) to prevent collision of the ejection seats and to ensure that they aren't left behind because they cannot control the aircraft. And each crewmember has two ways to activate the sequence; they can pull down on a cord above the head called the face curtain, or pull up on an ejection handle between their legs. That means no one can "accidentally" flip a switch.

Hm, I thought that they had buttons under the switches, but now I can see that they had only the switches, but no buttons. Well, roman numbers then Smiley.

Also, if "II" (co-pilot) is connected to "I" (pilot), then there is no way that the co-pilot can eject only himself.   That's a very... interesting design choice.

To be honest, I'm thinking the design is that way to create drama.  Cheesy  But I can see how it would be imprudent to allow the pilot to eject only themselves, leaving the co-pilot to fend for themselves, even if the design didn't apparently force the co-pilot to go first. My guess is that since the co-pilot is just as important to the aircraft's operation as the pilot, they are expected to think and work in tandem; but I can see some issues with that. The pilot often has an innate tendency to stay with the aircraft, and that can put the backseater at risk; so unless it's Zhu Li and Varrick, who let's be honest, are going down together or not at all, the co-pilot should be able to initiate an ejection.
« Last Edit: Dec 27, 2014 04:00 pm by Funkybender » Logged
Sannom
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #74 on: Dec 27, 2014 08:03 pm »

Actually, the "II" symbol really means "two". If you look closely, you will see a small plastic band connected to the "II" switch that goes below the "I" switch and forces the activation of the "I" switch as the "II" switch is activated.

My guess? The "I" switch is for ejecting the guy who pulls it, the "II" switch is to force both pilots to eject. Hiroshi just rewired his "I" switch to activate Asami's ejection seat rather than his own.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: