Mar 24, 2017 01:54 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Episode:
10 - 41 (74.5%)
9 - 9 (16.4%)
8 - 4 (7.3%)
7 - 0 (0%)
6 - 0 (0%)
5 - 1 (1.8%)
4 - 0 (0%)
3 - 0 (0%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [412] Day of the Colossus  (Read 6082 times)
HikaruIzumi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #25 on: Dec 19, 2014 02:57 am »

Amazing fight sequences. I liked how the colossus was so hard to beat. At first I was worried it would just fall with their first attempt. is it wrong that I was cheering for Kuvira the whole time? Cheesy

SMBH
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Lord Zuko is not amused

« Reply #26 on: Dec 19, 2014 02:57 am »

Cool seeing him blow air out of his feet like a jet.  Wish he'd use that more than his...

Not gonna lie. I thought for sure we were gonna get a huge fartbending moment there. Kinda glad we didn't though. I don't care either way for Meelo's peculiar brand of airbending, neither love it nor hate it, but at this particular moment it would have felt out of place.

ATLA Keeps: Kuei's necklace, Pandalilies, Zhaodburns, Sokka's DoBS speech
TLOK Keeps: Sparkly bush, Aang's statue, Korrlok, Asami's racetrack
swedishskinjer
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I believe in my beliefs. Do you?

« Reply #27 on: Dec 19, 2014 02:59 am »

I wonder what Kuvira trying to swat Meelo would be like for an Metalbending move? A facepalm lol.
I see that as being a bit of meta-humor.  The animators sneakily inserting their opinion on having to animate the little snot-ball.

On the plus side though, Meelo saving his dad was actually kinda badass.  Cool seeing him blow air out of his feet like a jet.  Wish he'd use that more than his...

You know. <_<

For a moment, I was terrified that his special form of bending was about to save the day.  There are only so many times I can handle that "joke", and I think the past few seasons of it brought me to the end of my tolerance.

I don't mind the obligatory "kiddie" humor, but that always felt a little lazy and Dreamworks-esque.
Selofain
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I am a worm on a cloud.

« Reply #28 on: Dec 19, 2014 03:02 am »

Cool seeing him blow air out of his feet like a jet.  Wish he'd use that more than his...

Not gonna lie. I thought for sure we were gonna get a huge fartbending moment there. Kinda glad we didn't though. I don't care either way for Meelo's peculiar brand of airbending, neither love it nor hate it, but at this particular moment it would have felt out of place.

I did too. I was actually surprised when he didn't and almost thought I just missed the sound effect. I did think it was quite sweet when he looked worried for his dad. It's not a face we get to see on Meelo very often.

Keeper of Old Ba Sing Se and Piandao's sword mastery
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #29 on: Dec 19, 2014 03:04 am »

Yes, I'm glad there wasn't a fart. I'm pretty sure someone is gonna complain how Meelo is so strong now... Roll Eyes

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Colonel_Brian
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #30 on: Dec 19, 2014 03:05 am »

Yeah, I was so relieved when he didn't. Also, Ikki saved Jinora. That made my day.
Ritster21
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #31 on: Dec 19, 2014 03:08 am »

Let's face it.

Meelo has never lost a battle.

He saved Korra from the mechs even saying "You can't handle all this Meelo!".

His fartbending, while it is a gag, is actually a very powerful technique.

At 9 years old, he was able to utilize to precisely aim and break in half the spirit vines in the swamp.

So fighting Meelo wouldn't be a joke and his fartbending is actually a powerful move.

He is actually a very powerful airbender.

The_Xov
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #32 on: Dec 19, 2014 03:15 am »

Yes, I'm glad there wasn't a fart. I'm pretty sure someone is gonna complain how Meelo is so strong now... Roll Eyes
*shrugs*

I'm just going to assume the power of love infused into the adrenaline that was pumping through his veins at the time.

iKeep: The Airbending Wipeout Obstacle Course from Original Airbenders!
That bastard formerly known as mike50333
Spiritwhisperer
Forum Moderator
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #33 on: Dec 19, 2014 03:20 am »

On the plus side though, Meelo saving his dad was actually kinda badass.  Cool seeing him blow air out of his feet like a jet.  Wish he'd use that more than his...

You know. <_<

When the sequence came on where Meelo saved Tenzin from falling, right at the moment when he was about to blast air, right at the moment when he pulled up his feet... the stream had to buffer and froze!

So there it was frozen right when Meelo has his legs pulled high and needs to bend a blast of air in order to save his dad.

I was legitimately terrified for a whole minute that it would be a fart. Terrified.

"In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.”
- Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
The_Xov
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #34 on: Dec 19, 2014 03:26 am »

On the plus side though, Meelo saving his dad was actually kinda badass.  Cool seeing him blow air out of his feet like a jet.  Wish he'd use that more than his...

You know. <_<

When the sequence came on where Meelo saved Tenzin from falling, right at the moment when he was about to blast air, right at the moment when he pulled up his feet... the stream had to buffer and froze!

So there it was frozen right when Meelo has his legs pulled high and needs to bend a blast of air in order to save his dad.

I was legitimately terrified for a whole minute that it would be a fart. Terrified.
It's moments like that which makes retrospection such a beautiful gift. lol

iKeep: The Airbending Wipeout Obstacle Course from Original Airbenders!
That bastard formerly known as mike50333
Old School
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #35 on: Dec 19, 2014 03:44 am »

I loved the fact that the final battle took place inside the giant robot as opposed to the fight being against it. That was totally not what I expected.
SMBH
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Lord Zuko is not amused

« Reply #36 on: Dec 19, 2014 03:45 am »

I loved the fact that the final battle took place inside the giant robot as opposed to the fight being against it. That was totally not what I expected.

It felt kinda like a video game boss level. You know, infiltrate, destroy key components, climb up to the top... All in all, pretty neat.

ATLA Keeps: Kuei's necklace, Pandalilies, Zhaodburns, Sokka's DoBS speech
TLOK Keeps: Sparkly bush, Aang's statue, Korrlok, Asami's racetrack
Rho
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #37 on: Dec 19, 2014 05:39 am »

I'm halfway through the final, I just had to pause it. So much action and awesomeness!!

Zhu-Li and Varrick, finally! "Will you do the thing with me for the rest of our lives?" is the best proposal line ever! And we had to see the electro magnetic pulse again.
Wu singing to the badger moles and actually taking out three mecha suits! And even giving himself up in an effort to save the other people. Who would have thought, those people will definitely follow him as their king now. I'm loving these side stories, almost more than the main fight.

But that fight is so good, so much going on, so many different benders! Making a whole building collapse on the giant mech, trying to trip it...
Poor Asami, being stuck floating down on a parachute, as her father sacrifices himself, literally being squashed like a bug right in front of her eyes... And everyone else went inside the giant mech.
Onu-Bender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Tokkarian King and Equalist Emeritis

« Reply #38 on: Dec 19, 2014 06:28 am »

Actually you won't here that coming from me this time as the whole slow motion lead up with him breathing in just before, suggested to me that it took a valid amount of concentration.

A minor gripe I did have though was them pinning the robot between those buildings. Having had a Mechanics of materials final just this past week made we wince a little, knowing how it should have happened. But here again who cares? Kuvira built an all platinum clad robot that must have cost 1,000,000,000,000,000,000.99 dollars to build in material alone.

Varrick, Amon and Sokka, the only humans among the Titans..
Just hand over your Turtleducks and no Firebender will be harmed.
Flamewheel4354
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #39 on: Dec 19, 2014 12:29 pm »

I wonder what Kuvira trying to swat Meelo would be like for an Metalbending move? A facepalm lol.
I see that as being a bit of meta-humor.  The animators sneakily inserting their opinion on having to animate the little snot-ball.

You know. <_<

For a moment, I was terrified that his special form of bending was about to save the day.  There are only so many times I can handle that "joke", and I think the past few seasons of it brought me to the end of my tolerance.
Agreed. I was so surprised when he didn't fartbend! Yay Meelo for showing some more maturity.
Suz
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #40 on: Dec 19, 2014 01:09 pm »

Yeah, I was so relieved when he didn't. Also, Ikki saved Jinora. That made my day.

That, and Meelo saving Tenzin, was one of my favorite scenes in this episode. 
insertname
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #41 on: Dec 19, 2014 01:24 pm »

Actually you won't here that coming from me this time as the whole slow motion lead up with him breathing in just before, suggested to me that it took a valid amount of concentration.

A minor gripe I did have though was them pinning the robot between those buildings. Having had a Mechanics of materials final just this past week made we wince a little, knowing how it should have happened. But here again who cares? Kuvira built an all platinum clad robot that must have cost 1,000,000,000,000,000,000.99 dollars to build in material alone.

Well, the mecha was ridiculously overpowered really. It can withstand lava below it's feet, being crushed between entire buildings, an Avatar State (+another dozen airbenders) windblast and it can perfectly balance itself in any situation. Hell, in our world we're happy to build a robot that can somewhat walk like a human. The giant mech is several decades beyond our technology.
I generally never was too fond of the whole mechasuits. If Bryke should every do another Avatar series, I hope it's in the past again. Bending battles are more interesting than Mecha fights imo.
I've seen someone say that the mech makes the fight impersonal, which I think really hits a key point. I found the fight within the mech more engaging.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #42 on: Dec 19, 2014 01:31 pm »

Fully agreed with all the Meelo talk. I expected the Fartbending to happen, and I was delighted and surprised when it didn't. That one moment may be the most triumphant thing in all of LoK, for me.

nightingale
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

This duality in me, ice and fire within.

« Reply #43 on: Dec 19, 2014 01:45 pm »

So when Meelo's face went splat against Kuvira's windshield, I lol'ed. Like, just startled a laugh out of me.

Also, Varrick is of the Southern Water Tribe, yet he grew up on a farm with an ostrich horse? Immigrant child?

I like how they started out doing all the things to the colossus that we've been saying on this forum, only to have the colossus inexplicably able to get out of it all. I'd say it's well designed, but I have no idea how Kuvira manages to stay standing, let alone keep manipulating the thing throughout all its balance issues.

Varrick's proposal felt a bit out of nowhere, or I could say Varrick's pretty darn good at acting oblivious. Sometimes I wish we could have gotten a peak into his head, but then I'd fear for our sanity. Still, this bit put a smile on my face.

This episode was rather stuttery for me, so I'll have to rewatch it later, but cool beans.

Meelo's face actually creeped me out a bit. I felt it came out of a horror film or something. Than he made the Colossus faceslamp itself.  Tongue  Speaking of the Colossus, I loved the fight against it. They could never tackle it directly, so they decided to use more interesting and creative solutions, like spraying paint on the windshield, or trying to squash it with buildings, and the entire Hummingbird Mechs are plain awesome, really. This was a truly good fight, were they used their bending with creative means and I love that kind of intelligent approach.

*shrugs*

I'm just going to assume the power of love infused into the adrenaline that was pumping through his veins at the time.

Which makes sense. In real life, life threatening situations allow humans to do some pretty awesome things, because their pain thresholds and inner blocks are taken away, allowing people to lift cars when someone is under it, for example. People end up breaking bones or with dangerous wounds, but I like to see this kind of little details in the series.

In all honesty I'm sad that Hiroshi died. His reocnciliation with Asami felt so genuine. I really felt there was truly a redeemed good man in Hiroshi after all his hatred was cleansed from his heart. I really was touched when Asami said to him he loved her again, and how they worked as a team, as they used too... and then he died. It felt kind of cliche that the redeemed villain dies, so that felt a little bit off, but when I saw the crushed hummingbird suit, that resembled an actual crushed bird... it felt wrong, so wrong. That is perhaps one of the darkest scenes in this Book, and it will flied over most people. Asami's slow motion reaction was heartbreaking as well. This was a darn good episode and I can't believe they made the Colossus a true serious threat that didn't feel cheesy, but a genuine, terrifying threat.

But four babies playing a game can make a playworld which licks your real world hollow... I'm on Aslan's side even if there isn't any Aslan to lead it. I'm going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn't any Narnia.

-Puddleglum, The Silver Chair
Lord Tenzin
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #44 on: Dec 19, 2014 01:51 pm »

Meelo is a mix of Aang and Sokka, strong but so hilarious Cheesy
nightingale
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #45 on: Dec 19, 2014 02:30 pm »

This was actually one of the few times I found him to be funny. And the paint idea was brilliant. I also loved how he saved his dad. I like to see their love in such palpable ways.

But four babies playing a game can make a playworld which licks your real world hollow... I'm on Aslan's side even if there isn't any Aslan to lead it. I'm going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn't any Narnia.

Xagzan
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #46 on: Dec 19, 2014 03:01 pm »

So we're calling this episode Attack on Colossus, right? Right?

Lunar_Prodigy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #47 on: Dec 19, 2014 03:05 pm »

This was actually one of the few times I found him to be funny. And the paint idea was brilliant. I also loved how he saved his dad. I like to see their love in such palpable ways.

The paint idea was pretty brilliant. I was even more surprised that Kuvira was actually prepared for the paint idea.

Keeper of Yue's "You didn't protect me" Sokka's "She's the moon, she flies by herself"
and Wan Shi Tong's understanding of the radio being "tiny men in boxes"
nightingale
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #48 on: Dec 19, 2014 03:11 pm »

So we're calling this episode Attack on Colossus, right? Right?

Haha... no Tongue

The paint idea was pretty brilliant. I was even more surprised that Kuvira was actually prepared for the paint idea.

I was surprised as well. Kuvira truly was crazy prepared. If she hand't been facing against the Avatar, they would not have a chance against her.

Borra the Explorer
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Dead Ships Sailing

« Reply #49 on: Dec 19, 2014 03:34 pm »

I figured they were saving the best action for the finale, that was awesome! Everything with Zhurrick and the evacuation was perfection.

All hail Wu, king of the badgermoles!

Keeper of Wan's teapot and the Zhu Li (the battleship, not Varrick's wife).

Click here for my tumblr, and here for M'Lil's new hit single!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: