Mar 24, 2017 03:22 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Episode:
10 - 47 (45.6%)
9 - 28 (27.2%)
8 - 13 (12.6%)
7 - 6 (5.8%)
6 - 3 (2.9%)
5 - 3 (2.9%)
4 - 1 (1%)
3 - 2 (1.9%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 103

Pages: « previous page   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [411] Kuvira's Gambit  (Read 24691 times)
HikaruIzumi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #325 on: Dec 17, 2014 08:41 am »

^Αm I an evil person for laughing at that?

My only complaint about this episode is that I don't understand how it's possible that no one saw that giant coming. I mean, that thing must be visible for kilometers! How come no one was able to warn RC? I mean, Kuvira can't see every single person that walks around. And how come there were no other bases around to see the explosion and notice the giant from afar?

Spiritwhisperer
Forum Moderator
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #326 on: Dec 17, 2014 10:12 am »

I guess they didn't expect their bases to get blown clean off the mountain at first sight?

Maybe the region they travelled through is mountainous. When the Krew first saw it, it was first hidden from sight by a mountain. Even then, it was spotted by two different groups. One of those simply didn't survive long enough to grab the phone Wink

"In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.”
- Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
The Mug Mugger
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Adult Toph is HAWT!

« Reply #327 on: Dec 17, 2014 11:00 am »

My only complaint about this episode is that I don't understand how it's possible that no one saw that giant coming. I mean, that thing must be visible for kilometers! How come no one was able to warn RC? I mean, Kuvira can't see every single person that walks around. And how come there were no other bases around to see the explosion and notice the giant from afar?

Fog was heavy that night.
DoTheDwah
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Get in... I got caaandyyy...

michael_manley_426
« Reply #328 on: Dec 17, 2014 02:19 pm »

I think you're all overlooking the pretty simple explanation as to why the Equalists had parachutes and the watchguys didn't: only bad guys kill people Wink

I actually think it's a pretty nice, subtle way of saying "Yeah, killing exists, but only bad guys do that".
« Last Edit: Dec 17, 2014 02:24 pm by DoTheDwah » Logged

HikaruIzumi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #329 on: Dec 17, 2014 02:42 pm »

I guess they didn't expect their bases to get blown clean off the mountain at first sight?

Maybe the region they travelled through is mountainous. When the Krew first saw it, it was first hidden from sight by a mountain. Even then, it was spotted by two different groups. One of those simply didn't survive long enough to grab the phone Wink
Maybe I'm just nitpicky here but this is something I'd prefer to be acknowledged within the show itself. Someone wondering how such a giant could be unnoticed, Kuvira mentioning choosing the best path, etc. Anything would work for me. It's just so weird that everyone sees it as something perfectly normal that it would go unnoticed.

Weege the Airbender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Airbender for Life

« Reply #330 on: Dec 17, 2014 02:50 pm »

I think you're all overlooking the pretty simple explanation as to why the Equalists had parachutes and the watchguys didn't: only bad guys kill people Wink

I actually think it's a pretty nice, subtle way of saying "Yeah, killing exists, but only bad guys do that".

Korra killed Unalaq, Mako killed Ming Hua, Suyin killed P'Li. It's not just for bad guys.

This episode seems like the typical build up to the last two episodes and I still really love it because I thought it worked well. I don't think really any time was wasted on this episode besides maybe the Meelo fart joke.

"I told you I would destroy you."
"With you out of the way, I will be the one true Avatar."
"Your name will echo throughout history: Korra, the last Avatar."
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I can't think of anything clever to say.

« Reply #331 on: Dec 17, 2014 04:01 pm »

Anything would work for me. It's just so weird that everyone sees it as something perfectly normal that it would go unnoticed.

I mean, Kuvira was blasting anyone they came across. They were probably noticed but they killed anyone before those people could alert the UR.

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character." (As said by me)
Funkybender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #332 on: Dec 17, 2014 05:27 pm »

Toph's a powerful bender, but she can't do anything to the giant mecha. She would get blown away without even realizing that Kuvira was targeting her.

Not with strategy. Any Earthbender who simply hid and waited underground along Megatron's path could easily turn the ground into a collapsible trap that would fall apart as the robot steps on it, unbalancing the thing and knocking it over. Problem solved.

Even Haru could do it, with enough time.

This is not possible with a single average earthbender, unless we're taking about weeks of preparation and Kuvira not being smart enough to send troops to survey the path of the mecha.

But let's say the plan succeeded and the mecha did trip forward, backward or was buried waistdown. There's still a massive earthbender army that could clear the dirt or lift it up from its trap in a matter of minutes. If it fell on its back, the earthbenders just make earth columns to push it up again. If it's buried waist-down the cannon is till functional.

We didn't see any troops surveying the Colossus' path and Kuvira marched it and her army right up to the frontlines where the United Forces were dug in. It was positioned between two mountain ridges; frankly, that staging area would be a death trap if the United Forces had prepared better. Get the earthbenders to tunnel under and mine the path of mech, then detonate them to damage the legs.

Evidently, recon isn't part of United Forces doctrine.

SWh and Mugger also have points, too. Visibility was low and Kuvira probably directed the path of the Colossus to deliberately conceal it in the mountain passes and avoid as many border fortifications as possible. Also, they were expecting a railway gun, not a gigantic mech. Most defensive efforts were probably concentrated on the railway lines. They really should have sent out more bison or planes to search, though.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #333 on: Dec 17, 2014 05:34 pm »

Toph's a powerful bender, but she can't do anything to the giant mecha. She would get blown away without even realizing that Kuvira was targeting her.

Not with strategy. Any Earthbender who simply hid and waited underground along Megatron's path could easily turn the ground into a collapsible trap that would fall apart as the robot steps on it, unbalancing the thing and knocking it over. Problem solved.

This is not possible with a single average earthbender, unless we're taking about weeks of preparation and Kuvira not being smart enough to send troops to survey the path of the mecha.

But let's say the plan succeeded and the mecha did trip forward, backward or was buried waistdown. There's still a massive earthbender army that could clear the dirt or lift it up from its trap in a matter of minutes. If it fell on its back, the earthbenders just make earth columns to push it up again. If it's buried waist-down the cannon is till functional.

I think you'd need quite a few Earthbenders to lift that thing up again. Also, that massive group would need time in which they could work without being bothered, which I hope the UR wouldn't give them. And for all we know, those columns you're describing simply wouldn't be strong enough. The material itself might just collapse under the weight of the Megatron, unless the Earthbenders took the time to compress and compact it and hold it together as they lifted, which would require even more Earthbenders.

As for a single Earthbender not being able to set that trap, I don't think we're discussing the same scale. With only a few hand motions, Toph was able to create a tunnel beneath The Drill, so pushing aside the ground is obviously not a big deal. A single Earthbender, putting all his or her power into creating strategic faults that would collapse under great weight, could easily make the trap I'm describing in a few hours. Korra could do it in a few minutes. I'm not talking about creating a giant hole or anything, just enough of a landslide that the robot was unbalanced. Walking is actually heckuva unstable, which we see in every gag centered on a slippery banana peel, and that's all that the trap would require:

Operation: Banana Peel

nightingale
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

This duality in me, ice and fire within.

« Reply #334 on: Dec 17, 2014 05:37 pm »

We didn't see any troops surveying the Colossus' path and Kuvira marched it and her army right up to the frontlines where the United Forces were dug in. It was positioned between two mountain ridges; frankly, that staging area would be a death trap if the United Forces had prepared better. Get the earthbenders to tunnel under and mine the path of mech, then detonate them to damage the legs.

Evidently, recon isn't part of United Forces doctrine.

SWh and Mugger also have points, too. Visibility was low and Kuvira probably directed the path of the Colossus to deliberately conceal it in the mountain passes and avoid as many border fortifications as possible. Also, they were expecting a railway gun, not a gigantic mech. Most defensive efforts were probably concentrated on the railway lines. They really should have sent out more bison or planes to search, though.

You must also add to that that the UR underestimated Kuvira, thinking they had the upper hand against her, based on the intel Zhy Li gave them. It's really not that surprising. Many military leaders make small mistakes like these and end up paying the price, only to find out in hindsight that another strategy would work better. But sometimes we tend to think better in hindsight then at the moment.

But four babies playing a game can make a playworld which licks your real world hollow... I'm on Aslan's side even if there isn't any Aslan to lead it. I'm going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn't any Narnia.

-Puddleglum, The Silver Chair
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #335 on: Dec 17, 2014 05:58 pm »

Yet another black mark on Iroh II's career. He is the military guy who should have told the politicians that a little stolen intel doesn't win a war.

Oh, Iroh II. Why can't you live up to your namesake's tactical prowess?

Obviously, Zuko should have just married his sister. Mai's bloodline ruined everything, including Izumi's eyesight.

Solitude
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Shaped by fire and ice.

« Reply #336 on: Dec 17, 2014 06:24 pm »

Just a random thought: Based on the preview clip of the finale, everybody was alive out of the blasted building. In my mind, those two hot URN guards are still alive even after Kuvira blasted their station. Cheesy

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #337 on: Dec 17, 2014 06:53 pm »

And they stood there all covered in soot for a second, smoke coming off their heads, and then one turned towards the Megatron and said, "You're despicable."

Solitude
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Shaped by fire and ice.

« Reply #338 on: Dec 17, 2014 06:56 pm »

And they stood there all covered in soot for a second, smoke coming off their heads, and then one turned towards the Megatron and said, "You're despicable."

I'd love that! Cheesy

danseru-kun
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #339 on: Dec 18, 2014 12:10 am »

I think you'd need quite a few Earthbenders to lift that thing up again. Also, that massive group would need time in which they could work without being bothered, which I hope the UR wouldn't give them. And for all we know, those columns you're describing simply wouldn't be strong enough. The material itself might just collapse under the weight of the Megatron, unless the Earthbenders took the time to compress and compact it and hold it together as they lifted, which would require even more Earthbenders.

As for a single Earthbender not being able to set that trap, I don't think we're discussing the same scale. With only a few hand motions, Toph was able to create a tunnel beneath The Drill, so pushing aside the ground is obviously not a big deal. A single Earthbender, putting all his or her power into creating strategic faults that would collapse under great weight, could easily make the trap I'm describing in a few hours. Korra could do it in a few minutes. I'm not talking about creating a giant hole or anything, just enough of a landslide that the robot was unbalanced. Walking is actually heckuva unstable, which we see in every gag centered on a slippery banana peel, and that's all that the trap would require:

Operation: Banana Peel

You have a point but thinking about it, we won't really know if that would work. We don't know how "realistic" the mecha is.

It could work but its possible the mech can get up easily if it slides down. It could be as unbalanced and weak as Star Wars Walkers (which was tripped by mere wires) or it could be as balanced and human-like as a Titan in SnK.

Let's see in the next episode how Colossus performs

danseru-kun.tumblr.com
nightingale
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #340 on: Dec 18, 2014 03:48 am »

Yet another black mark on Iroh II's career. He is the military guy who should have told the politicians that a little stolen intel doesn't win a war.

Obviously, Zuko should have just married his sister. Mai's bloodline ruined everything, including Izumi's eyesight.

This confirms me you indeed have some perverted imagination  Tongue

Also, it's not Iroh's fault that RC has to face the most absurdly powerful villain. Amon had the advantage of technological prowess on his side. Unavaatu was the most powerful dark spirit ever to have lived, and now they are fighting a giant mech with the power of an atomic bomb in hand. Also, this is Raiko that's leading. We all know he's not the best strategist for war.

But four babies playing a game can make a playworld which licks your real world hollow... I'm on Aslan's side even if there isn't any Aslan to lead it. I'm going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn't any Narnia.

TishToshTesh
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #341 on: Dec 18, 2014 09:01 pm »

Poor Mako.  Not only is he low priority in this season, but he's now the "dumb cop" to make Wu look good.  Bleh.

I miss season 1 when Mako and Bolin were competent and highly skilled Pro Benders.  The romance stuff was dumb, but at least they seemed like competent guys, able to help the Avatar.  Now they are just... there, increasingly irrelevant and incompetent.  And Asami, well... I guess the boys have it better than her.  Sad
The_Xov
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #342 on: Dec 18, 2014 11:18 pm »

Dumb cop?  I admit to ignorance, but it seemed as if Mako was following standard evacuation announcement procedures...

iKeep: The Airbending Wipeout Obstacle Course from Original Airbenders!
That bastard formerly known as mike50333
fireywaters
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Peace on Avatar, before peace in real life

« Reply #343 on: Dec 18, 2014 11:27 pm »

I don't know about that, but the two best military minds in the family that I know or is the original Iroh and Azula. The irony of irony that Azula does take after her uncle when it comes to that, something that Zuko and Ozai lacked.

Peace between the Fire Nation and the other nations, before peace in our world
TishToshTesh
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #344 on: Dec 18, 2014 11:52 pm »

Dumb cop?  I admit to ignorance, but it seemed as if Mako was following standard evacuation announcement procedures...

Hence the scare quotes I used.  He was indeed following procedure, and while it may have been a bit dry, it would have been helpful... if the people of the city weren't set up as suckers for Wu's charm.  The situation was just too wrangled to give Wu a shining moment, and Mako took the fall to make it possible.
DangerMouseDM
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #345 on: Dec 19, 2014 09:41 pm »

Also, it's not Iroh's fault that RC has to face the most absurdly powerful villain. Amon had the advantage of technological prowess on his side. Unavaatu was the most powerful dark spirit ever to have lived, and now they are fighting a giant mech with the power of an atomic bomb in hand. Also, this is Raiko that's leading. We all know he's not the best strategist for war.

Yup.
nightingale
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #346 on: Dec 20, 2014 05:10 am »

Hence the scare quotes I used.  He was indeed following procedure, and while it may have been a bit dry, it would have been helpful... if the people of the city weren't set up as suckers for Wu's charm.  The situation was just too wrangled to give Wu a shining moment, and Mako took the fall to make it possible.

To be fair, he sounded like a dorky robot. People are not only rational beings, but emotional ones. That's why presidents give words of consolation in times of crisis: people need to feel secure, and Wu did just that. Mako blew up the Colosus anyway, that's more than good enough for me.

Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #347 on: Jan 03, 2015 07:33 am »

Does anyone find it a little funny that Kuvira's soldier still addressed Raiko as "sir" when he asked him to wait a minute? I would have assumed that Kuvira would have taught her soldiers to think of people with authority, with the exception of her and Baatar Jr, that they are greedy people who don't deserve power and respect or something...

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Pages: « previous page   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: