Mar 30, 2017 10:10 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Episode:
10 - 47 (45.6%)
9 - 28 (27.2%)
8 - 13 (12.6%)
7 - 6 (5.8%)
6 - 3 (2.9%)
5 - 3 (2.9%)
4 - 1 (1%)
3 - 2 (1.9%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 103

Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [411] Kuvira's Gambit  (Read 24802 times)
TheGrandSage23
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #25 on: Dec 12, 2014 09:09 am »

I thought it was pretty obvious when Bataar said the avatar was there.. Pretty sure Kuvira wanted to kill Korra but her mindset can't process the fact her fiancé is in the same damn location.. As for Bataar and Kuvira? It's off.. I mean we saw Kuvira show emotion and said she loved him so it's one of those numerous "I'm throwing away my humanity" tropes stories used so often now.. That mecha is was badass though.. And there will be no deaths next episide amongst them I can bet
Gururu
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #26 on: Dec 12, 2014 09:10 am »

I also like how Raiko stepped up despite the fact he surrendered in 3 seconds, Zhu Li telling Varrick to treat her with respect, and Wu convincing the citizens to evacuate after Mako's approach failed (is it wrong for me to say that I found that scene funny. Mako just can't catch a break).

Yup, Mako is still being used for Wu-related comedy. Guess the "Mako humiliatation"-tour continues. Sad It was kinda funny, but I still don't see where his character is going this season (my guess at this point: Nowhere).

I am actually hoping Mako got hurt at the end of this ep. Maybe, that could jump start something interesting for him. With 2 eps left in the season, you'd need something dramatic to happen. Feels to me like they are just wasting him, though.
« Last Edit: Dec 12, 2014 09:13 am by Gururu » Logged

You know, it seems like you're so afraid to disappoint anyone, that you end up disappointing everyone.
WarriorMind556
Can't Create New Topics
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #27 on: Dec 12, 2014 09:12 am »

Do you guys think Raiko did the right thing? Kuvira's suit doesn't even see all that mobile. A fleet of airplanes or hummingmechs could attempt to take it out the weapon.

I really don't understand why Tenzin didn't support a pre-emtive strike earlier. "Kuvira hasn't done any aggressive action against URN" Yes she has, she sent agents to kidnap Prince Wu.
fireywaters
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Peace on Avatar, before peace in real life

« Reply #28 on: Dec 12, 2014 09:13 am »

I really don't understand why Tenzin didn't support a pre-emtive strike earlier. "Kuvira hasn't done any aggressive action against URN" Yes she has, she sent agents to kidnap Prince Wu.

We still don't know that, I still think it could be the work of very enthusastic supporters.
« Last Edit: Dec 12, 2014 09:25 am by fireywaters » Logged

Peace between the Fire Nation and the other nations, before peace in our world
TheGrandSage23
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #29 on: Dec 12, 2014 09:14 am »

unless you have legit proof her fanboys were  going by her orders.. It's not uncommon supporters act out on their own
« Last Edit: Dec 12, 2014 09:15 am by TheGrandSage23 » Logged
Fire Rose
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #30 on: Dec 12, 2014 09:16 am »

Okay an excellent episode, I love all these cameos of the homeless dude, Tahno, the Wolfbats. etc.

I laughed at some moments like Mako trying to get the people to evaculte by talking police lingo like those letters to Korra.  The Varrick/ Zhu Li reunion was great, I am glad Zhu Li allow the status quo to return. She loves Varrick, but she is not going to put up with this, he has to change, just like Mai loved Zuko but she put up with his behavior, we will see what comes with that.

I thought they would attack early, stupid heros, couldn't they have prepared for that. You take the word of the bad guys, when does that ever work out? I thought weapon on the mecha tank, just me or did that remind you of Robocop, I think Mike and Bryan been watching some syfy stuff. Raiku surrend so easily, he continue to look like the worst leader ever. Should have prepared for an early attack you idiot.

I thought for a moment Kuvira attacked the civilans fleeing the city, but it was a naval ship, so that is fair game.

When they captured Bataar Jr., I wish they have tortured him a little bit, he kind of deserved it.

As for weather Kuvira loved Bataar Jr., I think you are missing the point, I think the point is, she does love him, but her conviction are much stronger. I think that was the point of the scene. The look on her face, it wasn't very remouceful, but it wasn't very evil, just very neutral.  I think Kuvira is a charactr who doesn't wear her emotions on her sleves, so who knows. Korra is going to have beat some emotions out of her. I hope it more of conviction > love, not the I didn't love him to begin with, because that would be so cliche and one dimentional.

Great setup to the finale, 10 / 10

I do understand Kuvira's convictions. I'm just saying that it's kind of deal breaker if your fiancée puts her goals first and has no qualms in killing you if it furthers the cause. Is taking over RC now worth it? BJ was fine with leaving the city alone as long as he was with Kuvira in the end. Kuvira now has nothing. Even if she did succeed (which she technically did) she now has no one close to share this victory. I think she's going to start losing it now. I actually won't be surprised if Kuvira tries to blame Korra because she wouldn't have fired if the Avatar didn't kidnap BJ.

Now onto something random. Remember back in Book 3 when Bumi said that the way he was recuited into the UF was through a potato sack? It looks like he did it to BJ. It may not be a potato sack but you get the idea.
DJSmallz
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Handsome & Wealthy

« Reply #31 on: Dec 12, 2014 09:24 am »

Pretty good episode; I don't really have anything too bad to say about it :/

It was intense, action packed and edge of your seat awesome!

I would have liked the Kuvira/Bataar sacrifice scene to have been more emotional, even if it already was. Seeing Kuvira possibly cry a bit over the choice she made, whether before she made it or after, would have helped to humanize her and have us she how much she truly cares for Bataar.

Other than that, I have no qualms Smiley 8.8/10.

PS: Tahnooo! Iroooooh! That giant thooo! D:

Let's have a money shower tonight!
Weege the Airbender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Airbender for Life

« Reply #32 on: Dec 12, 2014 09:29 am »

So it looks like we had the Colossus revealed mid-episode instead of at the end. A lot of amazing stuff in this episode, but Tenzin in the airbending suit makes me cringe.

Did Baatar Jr. just...die?

"I told you I would destroy you."
"With you out of the way, I will be the one true Avatar."
"Your name will echo throughout history: Korra, the last Avatar."
Saturius
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #33 on: Dec 12, 2014 09:32 am »

Did Baatar Jr. just...die?

You know, it was really unclear    Cheesy
fireywaters
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Peace on Avatar, before peace in real life

« Reply #34 on: Dec 12, 2014 09:36 am »

I do understand Kuvira's convictions. I'm just saying that it's kind of deal breaker if your fiancée puts her goals first and has no qualms in killing you if it furthers the cause. Is taking over RC now worth it? BJ was fine with leaving the city alone as long as he was with Kuvira in the end. Kuvira now has nothing. Even if she did succeed (which she technically did) she now has no one close to share this victory. I think she's going to start losing it now. I actually won't be surprised if Kuvira tries to blame Korra because she wouldn't have fired if the Avatar didn't kidnap BJ.

I think that is the point, not in the way she intented, but Korra did make it so if Kuvira wins, she won't have Bataar Jr. to enjoy it, so in a way that is what happened, if they all died, which we know that is not the case.

Another thing looking from another prospective, Kuvira in her warp mind still thinks she is the hero, so she sacrifice her own happiness for her people, how could she look at her souldiers and supporters and tell them she surrend because they kidnapped her boyfriend. The needs of the many out weigh the needs of the few.

Peace between the Fire Nation and the other nations, before peace in our world
Dar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #35 on: Dec 12, 2014 09:40 am »

Good episode. I definitly didn't see that giant Mech coming. The train cannon was cooler imo because it reminded me of those used by the Wehrmacht in WW2, and you know it was a little more down to earth. I always need to get used to the huge CGI things again when they appear.

Unfortunatly it is one more episode that feels rushed, kind of like the whole season, with too much plot forced into it and too little character interaction and development. Damn Nick, you could have afforded a few extra episodes for the final season.

That Kuvira would sacrifice Bataar Jr was no suprise at all (any other action would have questioned her position in power and her determination), but I would've thought she'd have shown a little more emotions. That scene was way too fast.
I don't think that any of the main characters died. Not so sure about Bataar Jr though. Although I think not, because he will most likely play a vital role in the destruction of the mech.

One episode less to resume some Korra romance... Still not giving up the hopes.
« Last Edit: Dec 12, 2014 09:45 am by Dar » Logged
Mahaanus
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #36 on: Dec 12, 2014 09:46 am »

Good episode. I definitly didn't see that giant Mech coming.

In your defense, if someone suggested a "giant mech with a canon", we'd have thought him insane.

Recent events have drawn me out of my hole.
Fate
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Avvy made by caves.

« Reply #37 on: Dec 12, 2014 09:46 am »

I was worried about the possibility of a giant mech, as I'm not a fan of them.  I needn't have feared.  That colossus looked amazing, and it moves clunkily enough to be believable for the setting.  I loved looking at it.

Wow, this was an amazing episode.  The destruction and fear that pervade it from beginning to end really set a heavy tone for the finale.  I love it.

And President Raiko suddenly became kind of respectable.  Even in defeat (how couldn't he have surrendered?) he maintained the stiff upper lip and kept his wits about him when dealing with Kuvira.

He'll probably die, though.

Wasn't too big on the hint that Wu might become a king.  Wu and Meelo took me out of the breakneck intensity that was really at the heart of the episode, so I need to dock the episode a couple of points for unwarranted goofballery.  Aside from that, though... it was all great.  8/10

So, death predictions:

President Raiko
Kuvira
Prince Wu (he'll do something noble first)
Hiroshi Sato (redeemed through death... where is he in all of this?)
Hand of Vaatu
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #38 on: Dec 12, 2014 09:47 am »

Oh christ, I knew they would find a way to end Baavira. I can only hope that the blast killed Baatar Jr so we don't have to put up with a "I'm sorry I joined Kuvira" speech. I can't believe he cracked because he couldn't stand the thought of not seeing her again. I was hoping he would say something to Kuvira along the lines of:

Baatar Jr: "we're in the building over here, Kill us and and make the EE whole. I love you Kuvira.

Kuvira: *tearing up* I love you Baatar

Mech cannon: *BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRP*
Lightningbend
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #39 on: Dec 12, 2014 09:47 am »

My reaction when I saw the weapon was simple: "What the f***?! You mean---" yep. it wasn't a rail weapon at all. It's a freaking transformer. Also interesting that we just watched at least 2 people die on camera again from the annihilation of that base.

Legend of Korra, Nickelodeon's redheaded step-child.
Fire Rose
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #40 on: Dec 12, 2014 09:48 am »

I think that is the point, not in the way she intented, but Korra did make it so if Kuvira wins, she won't have Bataar Jr. to enjoy it, so in a way that is what happened, if they all died, which we know that is not the case.

Another thing looking from another prospective, Kuvira in her warp mind still thinks she is the hero, so she sacrifice her own happiness for her people, how could she look at her souldiers and supporters and tell them she surrend because they kidnapped her boyfriend. The needs of the many out weigh the needs of the few.

Which is where the contrast between Korra and Kuvira kick in. Korra was like that in Book 1 and 2, where she made clearly wrong decisions because of the pressure of being a "good" Avatar. Korra is learning to embrace who she is as an individual and an Avatar, while Kuvira has seem to abandon her self-indenty in favour of being a hero. If she did come back to her troops empty handed she would be feel like she failed. I agree with you on that.

Kuvira has to learn what Korra has been learning throughout the series. People will remember  and love you for WHO you are, not WHAT you are. Korra will be remembered for the good things about her while Kuvira will be the opposite. She will go down in history as a tyrant of the EK unless she changes in the end (which at this point is 50/50 ).
Lord Tenzin
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #41 on: Dec 12, 2014 09:49 am »

This episode was good, could've been better, but still. I hope that no one died in that room, would've been very sad....

Tenzin in that airbending outfit made me cry.
DJSmallz
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Handsome & Wealthy

« Reply #42 on: Dec 12, 2014 09:49 am »

My reaction when I saw the weapon was simple: "What the f***?! You mean---" yep. it wasn't a rail weapon at all. It's a freaking transformer. Also interesting that we just watched at least 2 people die on camera again from the annihilation of that base.

Didn't the Red Lotus kill a few people on their way out of Republic City? Either way, I love that they're not going to great lengths to show that those peeps are alive, like with Book 1's parachutes -_-

luvavatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #43 on: Dec 12, 2014 09:55 am »

They only did that with the bad guys, annoyingly enough.
The-Blue-Dragon-Lord
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

A corpse… Should be left well alone.

« Reply #44 on: Dec 12, 2014 09:59 am »

Am I the only one who thought that Kuvira's mech was like a giant, oversized Megatron? Cheesy

Furudo Erika
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

King of Heroes, Gilgamesh

« Reply #45 on: Dec 12, 2014 10:00 am »

Holy crap, holy crap, what was that O_O

Amazing episode. I need the finale now.
Earth Angel
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #46 on: Dec 12, 2014 10:02 am »

If Bryke pulls a JK Rowling and kills off one of the twins I swear Tongue

If I had to guess who would die, it'd probably be Su. Lin going to see her sister and Bataar knowing he basically broke her heart before she died would be devastating.

Mako won't die. He's needed for the Makorra wedding

iKeep: Makorra | the Makorra hug & kiss in 112 | Makorra's final scene
DJSmallz
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Handsome & Wealthy

« Reply #47 on: Dec 12, 2014 10:03 am »

Am I the only one who thought that Kuvira's mech was like a giant, oversized Megatron? Cheesy

Nah, looks more like Starscream heh

Colonel_Brian
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #48 on: Dec 12, 2014 10:03 am »

Cool episode. I thought the giant mecha was kind of silly, but that is just me. Anyway, Raiko had some great moments, as did Bolun, Varrick, and Zhu Li. Mako also continues to be a dork and I love him for that. As for Bataar, what is that guy's deal?  I was glad when Korra threatened him, she did in a way that was entertaining to watch. I wouldn't even have mind if she threatened to feed him to Naga.

Also, Tahno is back...so, that is good.

Lastly, Kuvira's dedicarion to her goal is more interesting than her romance with Bataar.

Fate
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Avvy made by caves.

« Reply #49 on: Dec 12, 2014 10:05 am »

You nailed it.  How could Kuvira return home in defeat and tell her empire that she backed down just because her fiancé got captured?  That would be a staggering humiliation and she would certainly loose the confidence of an empire that looks to her for strength.  Kuvira talked a big game, using words like "precipice of history" and "grave injustice" to declare her intent to take Republic City.   If Bataar's capture was enough to make her surrender, then that would make her a boneless fraud who let her feelings get in the way of her nation's interests.

Kuvira, however, is a strong, independent iron lady who don't need no man.
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: