Dec 15, 2019 02:10 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Episode:
10 - 67 (67.7%)
9 - 24 (24.2%)
8 - 4 (4%)
7 - 4 (4%)
6 - 0 (0%)
5 - 0 (0%)
4 - 0 (0%)
3 - 0 (0%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 99

Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [410] Operation Beifong  (Read 49094 times)
The Mug Mugger
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Adult Toph is HAWT!

« Reply #275 on: Dec 08, 2014 06:07 pm »

^ and it pretty much has been, hasn't it? Every one of Korra's foes has been an interesting counterpoint to her. I still think Amon (sans the backstory reveal) has been her most interesting opponent. Kuvira might be my second favourite. She makes a nice dark!Korra.

Yes...but it doesn't help that she's lost the physical confrontations nearly every time too.

Huh? Besides the main villains or surprise attacks like the dark spirits or chi blockers, Korra has defeated every single enemy with ease. The triads? She curbstomped them. The Liutenant? She always defeated the guy. The waterbender rebels? She defeated them all. Unalaq before he gained any sort of leverage? Down. The Earth Kingdom gangs? Defeated. The Dai Li? She took care of them.

Lol, this again huh? Korra beating up random mooks isn't impressive when Aang and the crew as 12 and 14 year olds were taking down armies. Korra is a fully realized Avatar and so by definition she should be the most physically powerful being on the planet. Saying 'besides the main villains Korra wins a lot' is meaningless.

Amon? Korra lost to him and only through sheer dumb luck and a weird technicality (she hadn't 'unlocked' Airbending yet? Okay...) drove him off.

Unalaq? Even before the Unavaatu fight (which she also would have lost if Jinora didn't intervene), she had the Raava ripped right out of her.

Zaheer? Yes, I know she was poisoned, but she did lose this fight. This one had a good justification though so I don't mind this one at all. However, there is NO reason she should have lost on Laghima's Peak. Even chained up, she could have busted out the Avatar State and made short work of Zaheer.

Which wasn't even a loss since she actually defeated him with the elemental atom thingy.  Unalaq cheap shotted her from behind.  Honestly, I find the whole Korra is weak and never wins just so unfounded.  I personally think it really has no actual basis but what are you gonna do I guess?

Korra losing a lot isn't unfounded. She's never defeated a big bad on her own, which would be okay if she wasn't a fully realized Avatar...but she has been since Season 1.

Yeah, but...she struggled against the all powerful dark spirit that was the physical embodiment of evil. That is what is important. Conclusion? She's a weakling. Tongue

She actually was beating Vaatu, and I'm not calling her a weakling. I love Korra.
It only appears that Korra performs better than Aang in fights due to difference in storytelling the show has compared to ATLA.

In TLOK we don't really see Korra dealing with trivial enemies. They're all extremely powerful peeps and are major threats to the world that need to be taken out before the Book ends. This in contrast to Aang and his team, where they constantly run into some fire nation troops or other small villains that they need to battle in several episodes. So because ATLA packs in more fights with minor threats it appears Aang wins his battles more.

Since you're taking a critical look at Korra's boss battle record, let's see Aang's major track record

Siege of the North: Aang fails to stop Zhao from destroying the moon spirit. He was only able to destroy the Fire Nation army ships by fusing with the ocean spirit,  creating Koizilla. At that time Aaag would be far too weak to beat the Fire Nation by himself, the Ocean Spirit helped a ton.

Ba Singe Sa: Aang enters the Avatar State in a battle with many dangerous enemies, and gets killed in his most vulnerable state.

Day of Black Sun: Aang is a master airbender who couldn't even outrun Azula without firebending, or could even land a hit on her.

Sozin's Comet: I know Aang wasn't trying to kill Ozai here, but he was losing this fight badly until a fine gentleman named "Pointy Rock" came along and repaired his Avatar State.

« Last Edit: Dec 08, 2014 06:10 pm by The Mug Mugger » Logged
ThaiOzai
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #276 on: Dec 08, 2014 06:12 pm »

Is Korra a fully-realized Avatar? I think a case could be made that Aang "turned on" the Avatar State before she was ready for it. After all, she had only just started Airbending. Roku wasn't presented as being fully realized until he returned to the Fire Nation with years of experiencing of bending all four elements under his belt.

Depends on the definition of 'fully-realized', but I'd say she is. Most people seem to think it means mastering the four elements and the Avatar State. By the end of Book 1, she had at least mastered three elements, had 'mastered all the practice forms' for Airbending, and could enter the Avatar State at will. By Book 2 and 3 she seems to have mastered Airbending.

They weren't fighting armies, if those mooks in LoK aren't impressive, neither should be the mooks of LoA.
Technically Aang and the crew took down the Earth King's Royal guards, and there were a ton of those guys. I'm not even arguing that Aang taking down mooks is impressive; mooks, by definition, are easily defeated. Therefore, saying that Korra wins a lot because she can beat up mooks is not a good argument.

Everyone would lose to Amon, everyone. No one from LoA would be able to beat him, unless they have the Avatar State. Which Korra had not have unlocked yet, too bad!

Yeah don't even get me started on daytime psychic bloodbending. Still, if the writers are going to make such a ridiculously overpowered villain, he either should have been defeated without any fighting, or Korra just shouldn't have been able to beat him in a physical confrontation. The way it's currently written is silly; Amon's bloodbending biologically shuts off chi paths. Does Korra 'unlocking' Airbending fix those chi paths? Does every element have its own set of chi paths that can only be bloodbent when they're 'active'? Makes no sense.

And if there weren't rocks to hit Aang's back, he would have lost the fight too. What's wrong with support?

You must think I'm an Aang apologist or something. A magically placed rock unlocking Aang's Avatar State is right up there with Jinora spraying fairy dust on Unavaatu in terms of bad writing.

Nothing's wrong with support, but like I said, Korra with the Avatar State mastered is by far the strongest physical being in the world. The writers choose to make her a fully realized Avatar but they keep writing encounters where her physical abilities are not enough to overcome her obstacles. It should be her mental and spiritual deficiencies holding her back.

Except that P'li can immediately shut her down and kill her in the Avatar State, thus making Zaheer's plan a reality. Why do you think Aang died in Book 2?

Korra can enter the Avatar State, and exit it, at will. Besides, P'Li was busy with 8 metalbenders at the time. Korra could have ended everything right here if she had used the Avatar State.

It was just sloppy writing that Korra didn't use the Avatar State against Zaheer.

Aang never defeated a big bad on his own either. So I guess he sucks now to then. And Aang just fought simple firebenders. He wasn't fighting super Bloodbenders, physical embodiments of evil, or a team full of super benders...just firebenders...and he still needed help on a regular basis.

Aang was also 12, had only mastered one element, was raised as a non-fighter/pacifist, and couldn't control the Avatar State. There's a big difference between him and Korra, and that's the point. Korra was created to be the opposite of Aang; aggressive, inclined towards fighting, but majorly lacking in the spiritual department. That's why Korra losing physical fights is strange.

But yes, I fully agree Korra's opponents are tougher than Aangs were (except for Ozai).
Furudo Erika
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

King of Heroes, Gilgamesh

« Reply #277 on: Dec 08, 2014 06:16 pm »

It was just sloppy writing that Korra didn't use the Avatar State against Zaheer.

By the way, Korra can't break those metals even in the Avatar state. When Zaheer entered the poison and she went berserk, correct me if wrong, she snapped the metal out from earth rather than break it.
The Mug Mugger
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Adult Toph is HAWT!

« Reply #278 on: Dec 08, 2014 06:23 pm »

Is Korra a fully-realized Avatar? I think a case could be made that Aang "turned on" the Avatar State before she was ready for it. After all, she had only just started Airbending. Roku wasn't presented as being fully realized until he returned to the Fire Nation with years of experiencing of bending all four elements under his belt.

Depends on the definition of 'fully-realized', but I'd say she is. Most people seem to think it means mastering the four elements and the Avatar State. By the end of Book 1, she had at least mastered three elements, had 'mastered all the practice forms' for Airbending, and could enter the Avatar State at will. By Book 2 and 3 she seems to have mastered Airbending.

They weren't fighting armies, if those mooks in LoK aren't impressive, neither should be the mooks of LoA.
Technically Aang and the crew took down the Earth King's Royal guards, and there were a ton of those guys. I'm not even arguing that Aang taking down mooks is impressive; mooks, by definition, are easily defeated. Therefore, saying that Korra wins a lot because she can beat up mooks is not a good argument.

Everyone would lose to Amon, everyone. No one from LoA would be able to beat him, unless they have the Avatar State. Which Korra had not have unlocked yet, too bad!

Yeah don't even get me started on daytime psychic bloodbending. Still, if the writers are going to make such a ridiculously overpowered villain, he either should have been defeated without any fighting, or Korra just shouldn't have been able to beat him in a physical confrontation. The way it's currently written is silly; Amon's bloodbending biologically shuts off chi paths. Does Korra 'unlocking' Airbending fix those chi paths? Does every element have its own set of chi paths that can only be bloodbent when they're 'active'? Makes no sense.

And if there weren't rocks to hit Aang's back, he would have lost the fight too. What's wrong with support?

You must think I'm an Aang apologist or something. A magically placed rock unlocking Aang's Avatar State is right up there with Jinora spraying fairy dust on Unavaatu in terms of bad writing.

Nothing's wrong with support, but like I said, Korra with the Avatar State mastered is by far the strongest physical being in the world. The writers choose to make her a fully realized Avatar but they keep writing encounters where her physical abilities are not enough to overcome her obstacles. It should be her mental and spiritual deficiencies holding her back.

Except that P'li can immediately shut her down and kill her in the Avatar State, thus making Zaheer's plan a reality. Why do you think Aang died in Book 2?

Korra can enter the Avatar State, and exit it, at will. Besides, P'Li was busy with 8 metalbenders at the time. Korra could have ended everything right here if she had used the Avatar State.

Aang never defeated a big bad on his own either. So I guess he sucks now to then. And Aang just fought simple firebenders. He wasn't fighting super Bloodbenders, physical embodiments of evil, or a team full of super benders...just firebenders...and he still needed help on a regular basis.

Aang was also 12, had only mastered one element, was raised as a non-fighter/pacifist, and couldn't control the Avatar State. There's a big difference between him and Korra, and that's the point. Korra was created to be the opposite of Aang; aggressive, inclined towards fighting, but majorly lacking in the spiritual department. That's why Korra losing physical fights is strange.

But yes, I fully agree Korra's opponents are tougher than Aangs were (except for Ozai).

I fail to see how it's "sloppy writing" that Korra didn't decide to go into the Avatar State at that time. Avatars shouldn't jump into the Avatar State all willy nilly, otherwise you end up like Aang in Ba Singe Sa. Korra would have been too vulnerable in the Avatar State.

A situation in a show that doesn't go exactly the way you want it to isn't "sloppy" writing.
ThaiOzai
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #279 on: Dec 08, 2014 06:26 pm »

I fail to see how it's "sloppy writing" that Korra didn't decide to go into the Avatar State at that time. Avatars shouldn't jump into the Avatar State all willy nilly, otherwise you end up like Aang in Ba Singe Sa. Korra would have been too vulnerable in the Avatar State.

A situation in a show that doesn't go exactly the way you want it to isn't "sloppy" writing.

You fail to see how it's sloppy writing that Korra didn't use a quick surge of the Avatar State to quickly end a fight where her life and the lives of her friends and family was at stake? She had the power and opportunity to end the fight, but she didn't. When a character doesn't use their full capabilities without any sort of justification, it's sloppy writing.

Korra had no problem jumping in and out of the Avatar State when fighting Unalaq and dark spirits in Book 2.

[/quote]

By the way, Korra can't break those metals even in the Avatar state. When Zaheer entered the poison and she went berserk, correct me if wrong, she snapped the metal out from earth rather than break it.

Well, she broke the chains off of the cuffs with what looked like sheer strength.

Or she could have burned through them like this:

Furudo Erika
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #280 on: Dec 08, 2014 06:28 pm »

Okay, I'll try to be really desperate here.

Wouldn't jumping into the Avatar State endanger everyone fighting in Laghima's peak?

Another shot, she couldn't break all the metal, right? And I kinda feel like berserk Korra is stronger than level-headed Korra going in AS...

Weak arguments I know but I'm stubborn, do forgive me.
« Last Edit: Dec 08, 2014 06:32 pm by Furudo Erika » Logged
ThaiOzai
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #281 on: Dec 08, 2014 06:31 pm »

Okay, I'll try to be really desperate here.

Wouldn't jumping into the Avatar State endanger everyone fighting in Laghima's peak?

I think if Korra was out of control in the Avatar State, than sure. But as Korra showed during her fights against Vaatu and Unalaq, she's good at using quick bursts of the Avatar State to make powerful, precision strikes.

Furudo Erika
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #282 on: Dec 08, 2014 06:34 pm »

Okay, you take that one, definitely Cheesy

Aah, I'm a bad loser, I can't accept defeat.  Grin
ThaiOzai
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #283 on: Dec 08, 2014 06:39 pm »

This is all just for fun  Grin I've been wrong plenty of times, and I'm sure plenty of people think I'm wrong when I say Korra shouldn't physically struggle so much against her big bads.
Furudo Erika
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #284 on: Dec 08, 2014 06:43 pm »

Yeah, this should always be fun. Arguments over a cartoon series should never turn to something nasty, but even if I say this, I've been one of those people who have had serious, very intense discussions and I'll most likely have one again in the near future, knowing me and how I'm the lawyer of LoK, defending it everywhere I go. I'm trying my best not to look just from my perspective though.
« Last Edit: Dec 08, 2014 06:45 pm by Furudo Erika » Logged
fraroc
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #285 on: Dec 08, 2014 08:05 pm »

http://hdscreenshots.avatarspiritmedia.net/korra/312/0602.jpg
http://hdscreenshots.avatarspiritmedia.net/korra/312/0603.jpg

Korra made the decision at some point between books 2 and 3, because she abused the Avatar State so much in Book 2, to only use the Avatar state when she needed it the most. Obviously, Korra thought that she could take Zaheer down with just her legs, therefore she didn't use it.

~Please remove the image tags when quoting posts with images in them~SpWh
« Last Edit: Dec 08, 2014 08:33 pm by Spiritwhisperer » Logged
ThaiOzai
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #286 on: Dec 08, 2014 08:16 pm »

Korra made the decision at some point between books 2 and 3, because she abused the Avatar State so much in Book 2, to only use the Avatar state when she needed it the most.
Proof? When did she say this, or when was it implied? I'm not saying you're wrong I just don't remember that happening. Heck, she used the Avatar State to try and get rid of the spirit vines in the first episode of Book 3.

Obviously, Korra thought that she could take Zaheer down with just her legs, therefore she didn't use it.

That's not obvious at all, considering how the scene I brought up as a perfect example to use the Avatar State happened after Zaheer had defeated a chained up Korra and was leading her onto the airship. She should have known at that point she needed a boost to defeat Zaheer. So, either Korra is stupidly overconfident, or the writers had to hold Korra back so that the season didn't end right there.

Spiritwhisperer
Forum Moderator
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #287 on: Dec 08, 2014 08:34 pm »

Of course we do have to remember Zaheer still had the airbenders hostage - despite their deal to exchange them. If Korra escaped, Zaheer would hurt the airbenders. Resisting capture was actually futile from the beginning.

.. wait, why the heck are we even discussing this in this thread? Korra was barely even in this episode! We're going to have to find a more fitting thread.

"In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.”
- Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
nightingale
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

This duality in me, ice and fire within.

« Reply #288 on: Dec 08, 2014 09:24 pm »

This is all just for fun  Grin I've been wrong plenty of times, and I'm sure plenty of people think I'm wrong when I say Korra shouldn't physically struggle so much against her big bads.

You do realize that the "mooks" in Korra are much more competente then the lrevious series, right? And that the main villains gained the upper hand because they exploited Korra's weaknesses? Except for Amon, nome had a direct shot against her. They all used tricky ways to prevent direct confrontation: Unalaq manipulated her as an uncle and then as a hostage, Zaheer had the airbenders and Kuvira new she was still weak.

But four babies playing a game can make a playworld which licks your real world hollow... I'm on Aslan's side even if there isn't any Aslan to lead it. I'm going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn't any Narnia.

-Puddleglum, The Silver Chair
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #289 on: Dec 09, 2014 12:24 am »

I finally watched this ep. Lol at Toph for breaking the fourth wall (kinda) as she explained Katara's absence in the Civil War. XD

The Su vs Kuvira fight was very entertaining and heart stopping. I liked how Su immediately bent armor onto her body.

Wish that Bolin lavabent though, it would have totally incinerated the Death Ray canon.

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
ThaiOzai
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #290 on: Dec 09, 2014 12:30 am »

I finally watched this ep. Lol at Toph for breaking the fourth wall (kinda) as she explained Katara's absence in the Civil War. XD

The Su vs Kuvira fight was very entertaining and heart stopping. I liked how Su immediately bent armor onto her body.

Wish that Bolin lavabent though, it would have totally incinerated the Death Ray canon.

Yeah, it's kind of weird that after Toph's massive attack, they didn't take advantage of the situation to either destroy the weapon, capture or 'defeat' Kuvira, or both. None of the metalbender soldiers get up, and only two mechs stand up before everyone flies away.

They could have ended the war right there! Silly Beifongs.
Furudo Erika
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #291 on: Dec 09, 2014 12:51 am »

because she abused the Avatar State so much in Book 2

This is the thing I'll always have an issue on, outside of the innocent race with the kids, Korra always needed AS whenever she used it, always.

Why does Aang get a free-pass, when he's the one who actually abused it to the point that he got himself killed? Granted, he gets angry and can't control it. Korra can, she never put the AS in danger.
« Last Edit: Dec 09, 2014 12:53 am by Furudo Erika » Logged
ThaiOzai
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #292 on: Dec 09, 2014 12:54 am »

because she abused the Avatar State so much in Book 2

This is the thing I'll always have an issue on, outside of the innocent race with the kids, Korra always needed AS whenever she used it, always.

Why does Aang get a free-pass, when he's the one who actually abused it to the point that he got himself killed?

Yeah I don't think she abused it at all in Book 2 besides the race. She only used it against Dark Spirits, to clear the team's way through the NWT blockade, and against Unalaq and Vaatu in the finale.
Boilinfangirl
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #293 on: Dec 09, 2014 01:20 am »

Yeah, it's kind of weird that after Toph's massive attack, they didn't take advantage of the situation to either destroy the weapon, capture or 'defeat' Kuvira, or both. None of the metalbender soldiers get up, and only two mechs stand up before everyone flies away.

Wow, I didn't even think of that. Now that would have been LOL If they took care of the entire situation before Korra even got involved.

Too bad they didn't add in a one second villain or plot than maybe it could happened that way.

Banner made by guitarfreak, thank you your the best!
Big Bolin fan already yesXD
Will ship him wit
nightingale
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

This duality in me, ice and fire within.

« Reply #294 on: Dec 09, 2014 03:42 am »

It was to dangerous. There mission was to safe the Beifong family, not to defeat Kuvira. Also, I don't think Bolin would have used lava to destroy the weapon. That thing is insanely sensitive, and an atrack like that could make it explode killing everyone on range.
« Last Edit: Dec 09, 2014 03:44 am by nightingale » Logged

But four babies playing a game can make a playworld which licks your real world hollow... I'm on Aslan's side even if there isn't any Aslan to lead it. I'm going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn't any Narnia.

-Puddleglum, The Silver Chair
Solitude
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Shaped by fire and ice.

« Reply #295 on: Dec 09, 2014 07:50 am »

Yeah, I thought about this too after they left the place. But going back to what Toph said, she was there to save her family and nothing more. Given her age, I think she knows her limits even though she is one hell of a bender. I think on her part she was also exercising caution. At this point, I think she didn't want to underestimate the strength of Kuvira's forces.

If I were in her place, I'd do the same thing. I have my whole family together and there's a clear chance of escaping. I don't know what's ahead of us. The enemy could just gather more reinforcements. So while they're temporarily down, I'll go flee first and then strategize and take action for another day.
« Last Edit: Dec 09, 2014 07:52 am by Solitude » Logged

Will of Iron
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #296 on: Dec 09, 2014 11:38 am »

I'm surprised they can say "suicide," but not "kill".
Furudo Erika
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #297 on: Dec 09, 2014 11:40 am »

The word "kill" has been said numerous times throughout LoA and LoK, what are you talking about?

One that comes to my mind right now is "You, you killed my father!" from Korra.
The Mug Mugger
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Adult Toph is HAWT!

« Reply #298 on: Dec 09, 2014 11:51 am »

The word "kill" has been said numerous times throughout LoA and LoK, what are you talking about?

One that comes to my mind right now is "You, you killed my father!" from Korra.

I think it's only when they actually do kill someone, then they can't explicitly say that they did. So, Korra can say "you killed my father!" but he survived so that makes it okay for her to say that. If he actually did get killed by Zaheer then Korra can't say "killed".

Don't challenge this wacky logic as this is some new Nick censoring rule that wasn't present in ATLA.
Furudo Erika
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #299 on: Dec 09, 2014 12:03 pm »

Tenzin: Twelve years ago, the Agni Kai Triad robbed Sato's mansion. A firebender killed Sato's wife during the break-in.

In this instance it's a legit kill.
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: