Nov 18, 2017 08:35 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Episode:
10 - 67 (67.7%)
9 - 24 (24.2%)
8 - 4 (4%)
7 - 4 (4%)
6 - 0 (0%)
5 - 0 (0%)
4 - 0 (0%)
3 - 0 (0%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 99

Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [410] Operation Beifong  (Read 34247 times)
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Do the thing!

« Reply #300 on: Dec 09, 2014 12:10 pm »

I'm surprised they can say "suicide," but not "kill".

Shouldn't be too surprising considering the show got away with an actual murder-suicide on screen.

Sig by Guitarfreak.
ThaiOzai
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #301 on: Dec 09, 2014 12:45 pm »

I finally watched this ep. Lol at Toph for breaking the fourth wall (kinda) as she explained Katara's absence in the Civil War. XD

The Su vs Kuvira fight was very entertaining and heart stopping. I liked how Su immediately bent armor onto her body.

Wish that Bolin lavabent though, it would have totally incinerated the Death Ray canon.

Yeah, it's kind of weird that after Toph's massive attack, they didn't take advantage of the situation to either destroy the weapon, capture or 'defeat' Kuvira, or both. None of the metalbender soldiers get up, and only two mechs stand up before everyone flies away.

They could have ended the war right there! Silly Beifongs.

It was to dangerous. There mission was to safe the Beifong family, not to defeat Kuvira. Also, I don't think Bolin would have used lava to destroy the weapon. That thing is insanely sensitive, and an atrack like that could make it explode killing everyone on range.

I don't think that's how it works. It's only dangerous if the spirit vine is being charged, which it wasn't at the time. If you shoot a bomb, it doesn't blow up typically.

Also, it wasn't too dangerous because it the entire Beifong clan and Bolin vs. two mechs and Kuvira; everyone else was down for the count. Living to fight another day is great, but that's potentially a once in a lifetime situation. Next time they see Kuvira, she'll be surrounded by soldiers and mechs.

But whatever, we can headcanon that there were a bunch more troops offscreen, it's all good.
luvavatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #302 on: Dec 09, 2014 01:08 pm »

I'm surprised that Huan doesn't fight, I get that he's an artist but Kya's basically a hippie and she can throw down when she has to.
fraroc
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #303 on: Dec 09, 2014 02:21 pm »

I finally watched this ep. Lol at Toph for breaking the fourth wall (kinda) as she explained Katara's absence in the Civil War. XD

The Su vs Kuvira fight was very entertaining and heart stopping. I liked how Su immediately bent armor onto her body.

Wish that Bolin lavabent though, it would have totally incinerated the Death Ray canon.

Yeah, it's kind of weird that after Toph's massive attack, they didn't take advantage of the situation to either destroy the weapon, capture or 'defeat' Kuvira, or both. None of the metalbender soldiers get up, and only two mechs stand up before everyone flies away.

Fight another day.
kotor10
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #304 on: Dec 09, 2014 05:09 pm »

Fight another day.

Which is Toph's motto I feel, she likes to fight but knows when its time to retreat and live to fight another day. She hasnt changed, she did and said the same thing to Aang in the Day of the Black Sun part 2 episode.
ThaiOzai
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #305 on: Dec 09, 2014 05:12 pm »

Fight another day.

One more minute of fighting now, with the advantage over Kuvira and her soldiers, would have ended the need to fight another day.
Furudo Erika
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

King of Heroes, Gilgamesh

« Reply #306 on: Dec 09, 2014 05:17 pm »

Fight another day.

One more minute of fighting now, with the advantage over Kuvira and her soldiers, would have ended the need to fight another day.

Toph made it quite clear that her intention isn't to fight Kuvira, she let her family try and they failed. Her attack wasn't meant to be an offense towards Kuvira but to rescue her family. No one knows how the situation would have went if Toph stayed. We aren't even sure if she can repeat the same move due to her age. Physical movement tiers old people.
ThaiOzai
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #307 on: Dec 09, 2014 05:31 pm »

Fight another day.

Toph made it quite clear that her intention isn't to fight Kuvira, she let her family try and they failed. Her attack wasn't meant to be an offense towards Kuvira but to rescue her family. No one knows how the situation would have went if Toph stayed. We aren't even sure if she can repeat the same move due to her age. Physical movement tiers old people.

Toph didn't even have to do anything else. Su, Lin, Bolin, Opal, and Wing and Wei are more than capable of taking down two mechs and Kuvira. Especially because if they had pressed their advantage right away, Bolin could have used lavabending to take all the mechs out of commission before they staggered back onto their feet.
Furudo Erika
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #308 on: Dec 09, 2014 05:36 pm »

These mecha-tanks can't be stopped with Toph's move. They'll stand up.

And I doubt these tents are just for show. Kuvira's army is right there and they would overpower Beifongs.
Goodfella
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

On the Isle of Sanity

« Reply #309 on: Dec 09, 2014 05:52 pm »

IIRC, a lot of this stuff is based on a) context b) frequency. So for example, when I worked with a game company we had to adhere to a list of approved words (mostly for swears but still) and it included a lot of clauses like, "Cannot use **** in a sexual context except for one scene", "**** is applicable for all scenes and contexts but can only be used X amount of times", etc.

In the case of using something like "kill" or "die", I'd imagine something like "die" gets higher flagged on their list of words to avoid as per the station. "Kill" might also be on the flagged list but they might only be allowed to use in key contexts, making it easier for them to just use other words all together than finck with allowed here/not allowed her politics.
nightingale
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

This duality in me, ice and fire within.

« Reply #310 on: Dec 09, 2014 06:38 pm »

It was to dangerous. There mission was to safe the Beifong family, not to defeat Kuvira. Also, I don't think Bolin would have used lava to destroy the weapon. That thing is insanely sensitive, and an atrack like that could make it explode killing everyone on range.

I don't think that's how it works. It's only dangerous if the spirit vine is being charged, which it wasn't at the time. If you shoot a bomb, it doesn't blow up typically.

Also, it wasn't too dangerous because it the entire Beifong clan and Bolin vs. two mechs and Kuvira; everyone else was down for the count. Living to fight another day is great, but that's potentially a once in a lifetime situation. Next time they see Kuvira, she'll be surrounded by soldiers and mechs.

But whatever, we can headcanon that there were a bunch more troops offscreen, it's all good.

I think it's general precaution. Bolin doesn't know how the machine works but he knows he has to be careful considering the last time he almost died. I would not dare to attack the machine without been sure it's not going to go kaboom on me.

I'm surprised that Huan doesn't fight, I get that he's an artist but Kya's basically a hippie and she can throw down when she has to.

My impression is that he can fight, but it's not his forte. Perhaps he feels it goes against his artistic phylosophy. I do wish to see him in a position were he has to fight, though.

But four babies playing a game can make a playworld which licks your real world hollow... I'm on Aslan's side even if there isn't any Aslan to lead it. I'm going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn't any Narnia.

-Puddleglum, The Silver Chair
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #311 on: Dec 09, 2014 07:36 pm »

A magically placed rock unlocking Aang's Avatar State is right up there with Jinora spraying fairy dust on Unavaatu in terms of bad writing.

I'd sig this, but I don't think I could showcase that level of negativity and the phrase "bad writing." Cheesy

http://dongbufeng.net/media/gallery/albums/k410/k410-2414.png

These mecha-tanks can't be stopped with Toph's move. They'll stand up.

http://dongbufeng.net/media/gallery/albums/k410/k410-1642.png

And I doubt these tents are just for show. Kuvira's army is right there and they would overpower Beifongs.

Honestly, I thought that things were already too easy in that fight. I understand that it needed to go the way it did for the story, and just adding more Imperial resistance would have taken up more time than the episode had to give, but I was surprised at how easy a time the Beifong strike force was having there. It felt like the heavy end of the hammer was about to drop any minute, not that they could have taken Kuvira and the laser.

(Never mind that destroying the laser would have been a delaying action at best. Bataar could just build another one, this time without sabotage.)

Ceibita
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

=(^.^)=

« Reply #312 on: Dec 10, 2014 12:24 am »

IIRC, a lot of this stuff is based on a) context b) frequency. So for example, when I worked with a game company we had to adhere to a list of approved words (mostly for swears but still) and it included a lot of clauses like, "Cannot use **** in a sexual context except for one scene", "**** is applicable for all scenes and contexts but can only be used X amount of times", etc.

In the case of using something like "kill" or "die", I'd imagine something like "die" gets higher flagged on their list of words to avoid as per the station. "Kill" might also be on the flagged list but they might only be allowed to use in key contexts, making it easier for them to just use other words all together than finck with allowed here/not allowed her politics.

Wow that's really interesting! Thanks for sharing. I never would've thought that they'd look that closely into it.

アバターが好きだよ!
Ikkin
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #313 on: Dec 10, 2014 12:29 am »

It's the second time they used it, actually -- Bolin called the plan to get past Unalaq's forces in Harmonic Convergence a "suicide mission."  =P

The word "kill" has been said numerous times throughout LoA and LoK, what are you talking about?

One that comes to my mind right now is "You, you killed my father!" from Korra.

I think it's only when they actually do kill someone, then they can't explicitly say that they did. So, Korra can say "you killed my father!" but he survived so that makes it okay for her to say that. If he actually did get killed by Zaheer then Korra can't say "killed".

Don't challenge this wacky logic as this is some new Nick censoring rule that wasn't present in ATLA.

The logic is even wackier than that -- you can say someone was killed if they weren't killed in present tense, but if they died on-screen or just off-screen, you have to phrase it in some other way.  Pretty sure that dates back to A:tLA, too, with Ember Island Players providing the sole weird exception.

Korra Ramblings on Tumblr

Child of the Elements - A look at Korra's childhood with the Order of the White Lotus. (Complete)
nightingale
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #314 on: Dec 10, 2014 12:51 am »

It's the second time they used it, actually -- Bolin called the plan to get past Unalaq's forces in Harmonic Convergence a "suicide mission."  =P

The word "kill" has been said numerous times throughout LoA and LoK, what are you talking about?

I think it's only when they actually do kill someone, then they can't explicitly say that they did. So, Korra can say "you killed my father!" but he survived so that makes it okay for her to say that. If he actually did get killed by Zaheer then Korra can't say "killed".

Don't challenge this wacky logic as this is some new Nick censoring rule that wasn't present in ATLA.

The logic is even wackier than that -- you can say someone was killed if they weren't killed in present tense, but if they died on-screen or just off-screen, you have to phrase it in some other way.  Pretty sure that dates back to A:tLA, too, with Ember Island Players providing the sole weird exception.

Ugh, I always found this to be so ridiculous. Even if they don't say the word die, kids know. They are not stupid. I obviously believe there is a limit but sometimes it sounds so cornu, like when Yakone said to Aang that he was goingo to "put him to sleep".

But four babies playing a game can make a playworld which licks your real world hollow... I'm on Aslan's side even if there isn't any Aslan to lead it. I'm going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn't any Narnia.

DoTheDwah
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Get in... I got caaandyyy...

michael_manley_426
« Reply #315 on: Dec 10, 2014 02:53 pm »

It's the second time they used it, actually -- Bolin called the plan to get past Unalaq's forces in Harmonic Convergence a "suicide mission."  =P

The logic is even wackier than that -- you can say someone was killed if they weren't killed in present tense, but if they died on-screen or just off-screen, you have to phrase it in some other way.  Pretty sure that dates back to A:tLA, too, with Ember Island Players providing the sole weird exception.

Ugh, I always found this to be so ridiculous. Even if they don't say the word die, kids know. They are not stupid. I obviously believe there is a limit but sometimes it sounds so cornu, like when Yakone said to Aang that he was goingo to "put him to sleep".

Eh, sometimes it's just more poetic to dodge the direct route in terms of wording. Personally, I think it works out and I don't have a problem with it.

Spiritwhisperer
Forum Moderator
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #316 on: Dec 10, 2014 03:08 pm »

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I never questioned Yakone's use of 'put you to sleep' (being a crimeboss, it sounded reminiscent of the maffia practice of having enemies 'sleep with the fish' Wink ). However every time I hear Zaheer's speech to the queen as he's suffocating her, I expect the last word to be 'death'.

"In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.”
- Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
luvavatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #317 on: Dec 10, 2014 04:20 pm »

It really should be death instead of darkness. If he had used light as a metaphor for life, then it would've worked. Instead it goes "There can be no life, only darkness", it doesn't really work in that context.
Furudo Erika
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #318 on: Dec 10, 2014 04:26 pm »

I just rewatched the Beifong fight and just, wow. It's so intense and beautiful. Action scenes in this show are a gem.
Borra the Explorer
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Dead Ships Sailing

« Reply #319 on: Dec 11, 2014 12:44 am »

This recap sums up the episode so well. Cheesy

ETA: 500th post!!!

Keeper of Wan's teapot and the Zhu Li (the battleship, not Varrick's wife).

Click here for my tumblr, and here for M'Lil's new hit single!
ahintoflime
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #320 on: Dec 11, 2014 01:44 am »

This recap sums up the episode so well. Cheesy

ETA: 500th post!!!

I wonder if fans of the show do this, the neutral party, or people who dislike the show?
nightingale
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #321 on: Dec 11, 2014 02:25 am »

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I never questioned Yakone's use of 'put you to sleep' (being a crimeboss, it sounded reminiscent of the maffia practice of having enemies 'sleep with the fish' Wink ). However every time I hear Zaheer's speech to the queen as he's suffocating her, I expect the last word to be 'death'.

It actually sounded more poetic to me. Yakone was not as phylosophical and Zaheer was, so it felt out of place to me. Zaheer on the other hand was kind of a warrior poet, always backing his actions with profound ideals. So when he used darkness as an ephitet of death, felt less crude and more in personality with Zaheer's personality.

Koksor
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #322 on: Dec 11, 2014 04:24 am »

You know what, in this scene:

I would have loved Bolin to get in and do what Ghazan did in Saofu:

The_Xov
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #323 on: Dec 11, 2014 09:19 pm »

That would've been cool, sre, but then he'd have to do a lot of micromanaging with opening up lava lanes so that Su and Co could advance or retreat (if necessary) against Kuvira's forces.  Remember, earth feeds lava in their universe, so any attempts by Su & Co to cross the lava via earthbending would simply get eaten up.

iKeep: The Airbending Wipeout Obstacle Course from Original Airbenders!
That bastard formerly known as mike50333
johnf12
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #324 on: Dec 13, 2014 12:24 pm »

Why does Huan have to be completely freakin' useless? I get it, he's an artistic and all and probably some hippie pacifist, but Jesus, the guy got earthbending but literally just sits out of fights. You think he would be willing to stand along his family instead of sitting in the background doing nothing.
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: