Sep 25, 2017 03:37 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Episode:
10 - 67 (67.7%)
9 - 24 (24.2%)
8 - 4 (4%)
7 - 4 (4%)
6 - 0 (0%)
5 - 0 (0%)
4 - 0 (0%)
3 - 0 (0%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 99

Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [410] Operation Beifong  (Read 33527 times)
Thane
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #25 on: Dec 05, 2014 06:00 am »

I don't think Aang was an "awful" father, just constantly busy and showed favoritism to the one who could airbend, which definitely aren't positive traits, but it doesn't make him awful. I'm still glad he wasn't a perfect parent, since it gives him a bit more depth, somehow.

I'm not sure what to think of Toph this episode; in The Last Airbender, she was loud, spoiled, egotistic and rude, but they always showed that there was a sweet girl beneath all that. The fact that she never even talked about Lin's father seems sort of out of character for her. One would think she would mature a bit as she aged. And while Lin didn't exactly forgive her at the end, it did feel a bit sudden, given how angry she was before.

Speaking of dubious character development, have we seriously watched 10 episodes of this season and Prince Wu is still acting almost exactly as he did when he was first introduced? We all know he'll do something heroic or develop into an at least semi-competent character, but isn't 10 episodes cutting it a little short?

And even more shady character development! Opal just decided to forgive Bolin like that? Just because she essentially manipulated him to come along (which was completely unnecessary because we all know he'd have gone anyway), and he performed well, he is forgiven, and their relationship is saved? I don't like that one bit.

Oh well, the animation this episode was fantastic. It's always nice to see the Bei Fong family wreck havoc upon people. I also like the fact that the Earth Empire is shown to be somewhat capable as opposed to The Last Airbender's Fire Nation (aside from the main villains, of course). Watching Kuvira fight is as awesome as ever, it's too bad she hasn't been more involved this season; pretty much all the bad things we know about her come from third parties, or just pop up out of the blue like the prisons for other benders.

Overall I liked the episode, but I must say the story and characters suffered a bit, while the animation and fight scenes were marvelous.
sokkaboomerang
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #26 on: Dec 05, 2014 06:03 am »

so i dont think kuvira's weapon will cause much life fatalities , because the citizens are being evacuated from the city
cycle112
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #27 on: Dec 05, 2014 06:08 am »

That was so awesome! Favorite episode in the season easily. Like honestly i think there
was nothing i didn't like, the animation, dynamics, humor and action were incredible. Kuvira and
Suyin was the best part, just such a creative fight.
If i could give it any higher than a 10/10, i would. Fantastic start to the finale episodes:)
The_Xov
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #28 on: Dec 05, 2014 06:15 am »

I think I've witnessed my first ever fight that I never knew I wanted!  I've always been a fan of the Protoge v. Master conflict, and boy did this not disappoint!  I think some folks just might pull back a bit on their thinking Kuvira isn't a threat in the fighting department now that we've seen her deal with an opponent that can properly fight back.  And the sheer aggression between these two is just delicious!

And I wonder if Toph's words will ressonate with her at all?  Not likely, but it'd be interesting if it were the case.

Opal and Bolin are back together, and Bolin, start-to-finish, is pretty...eh, yeah, annoying.  I'm putting too much stock in these characters, but I think my frustration towards him from last episode carried over and is tintinng my outlook on him here.  I'll have to watch it again before I really make a judgement call for him here.

Awwww, Bataar cares about Opal!  I wonder if the fact that Kuvira would've melted her atoms into vapor despite his pleas will cause contention between he and the fiancee?

I'd complain about Lin holding onto her grudge with Toph, buuuuut the old lady did admit to being a bad mom aaaaaand Lin does hold onto things, so... yeah.

Pretty good episode with a good climax.  Another 7/10

iKeep: The Airbending Wipeout Obstacle Course from Original Airbenders!
That bastard formerly known as mike50333
Red Lotus Grandmaster
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #29 on: Dec 05, 2014 06:27 am »

The fight between Su and Kuvira was inconclusive. I wonder who would have won had they continued? They Seemed evenly matched, but if I had to choose, I's say Su.

Suyin is very an unusual for earth bender. Earth bending is about being rooted to the ground, but Su is flying around like she's airbending. You can tell that her days at the circus and her dancing have influenced her earth bending fighting style. It has also become clear that there is big contrast
« Last Edit: Dec 05, 2014 06:30 am by Red Lotus Grandmaster » Logged
TheGrandSage23
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #30 on: Dec 05, 2014 06:30 am »

Kuvira is getting frustrated now.. Which is good.. We've seen her cocky and prideful now it's time for things not to go her way.. Slipping because her "control" is slipping.. Baatar worried for his sister..  Also obvious Zhu Li betrayal

Wu says something smart for once then messes it all up.. Which again is why Kuvira>>>Wu.. Lin's father is Kanto:) guessing Satoru(comic) is the father of Su. Sucks for Tokka fans

Bolin got a lot better as the episode progressed..

But come on... Dat Su vs Kuvira tho:) best fight yet.. Instead of being on the defensive Kuvira is in attack mode.. Easy to see her lose control of the situation and get rattled.. Even with shorter screen time she still remains awesome.. Su had her number for the majority of that scrap.. Toph herself is disappointed in Kuvira..

waiting for a meme to praise Kuvira's face cause antagonists can indeed make wacky faces

Good episode
TheGrandSage23
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #31 on: Dec 05, 2014 06:33 am »

I think I've witnessed my first ever fight that I never knew I wanted!  I've always been a fan of the Protoge v. Master conflict, and boy did this not disappoint!  I think some folks just might pull back a bit on their thinking Kuvira isn't a threat in the fighting department now that we've seen her deal with an opponent that can properly fight back.  And the sheer aggression between these two is just delicious!

And I wonder if Toph's words will ressonate with her at all?  Not likely, but it'd be interesting if it were the case.

Opal and Bolin are back together, and Bolin, start-to-finish, is pretty...eh, yeah, annoying.  I'm putting too much stock in these characters, but I think my frustration towards him from last episode carried over and is tintinng my outlook on him here.  I'll have to watch it again before I really make a judgement call for him here.

Awwww, Bataar cares about Opal!  I wonder if the fact that Kuvira would've melted her atoms into vapor despite his pleas will cause contention between he and the fiancee?

I'd complain about Lin holding onto her grudge with Toph, buuuuut the old lady did admit to being a bad mom aaaaaand Lin does hold onto things, so... yeah.

Pretty good episode with a good climax.  Another 7/10

Kuvira had no idea that Opal was in the city and was attacked as soon as she was alerted by Baatar
The_Xov
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #32 on: Dec 05, 2014 06:34 am »

The fight between Su and Kuvira was inconclusive. I wonder who would have won had they continued? They Seemed evenly matched, but if I had to choose, I's say Su.

Suyin is very an unusual for earth bender. Earth bending is about being rooted to the ground, but Su is flying around like she's airbending. You can tell that her days at the circus and her dancing have influenced her earth bending fighting style. It has also become clear that there is big contrast
Perhaps, but I'd think Kuvira could, bare-minimum, hold Su off almost indefinately, being someone of near-equal acrobatic ability and someone who probably is more familiar with Su's style than anyone else.  At that point, it's a question of stamina.  In that regard...I dunno who would win.  I'd assume youth over age, but Su seems to have quite a bit of stamina; much more than her sister...

iKeep: The Airbending Wipeout Obstacle Course from Original Airbenders!
That bastard formerly known as mike50333
TheGrandSage23
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #33 on: Dec 05, 2014 06:39 am »

"At some point you just gotta leave it to the kids."

- Toph

Nuff said
srebak
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #34 on: Dec 05, 2014 06:44 am »

I did enjoy the action scenes, though the "Bolin's an idiot" moments did turn me off of this episode (as i feared they would), especially that last one near the end.

I... guess that it's nice to finally get some present day Toph/Lin chemistry, and that explanation for why Katara didn't get involved in the Water Tribe civil war was a nice nod. Also, things might get interesting now that we know Bataar Jr, still cares for his family.

But i have to admit, when Zhu Li joined Kuvira, i sincerely thought she meant it and wouldn't have blamed her, Varrick treated her terribly. This was certainly a surprise to me.
cycle112
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #35 on: Dec 05, 2014 06:58 am »

sorry just a quick random comment, does anyone not have the option
to vote 10 on this episode? It seems for me only to go up to 9
NextFireBend
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

King Spider-Man.

« Reply #36 on: Dec 05, 2014 06:59 am »

^It was a good episode, just not that good. xP

ASN knows.

Or he watches Glee idk.
Chinoiserie
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #37 on: Dec 05, 2014 07:43 am »

I would have liked if somebody died and the episode would have had more tension (not that I expected anyone to die, and I should remember this is not Game of Thrones and it does not need deaths). Now it just seemed a bit anti-climatic and Bolin's antics were even more about of place than usual since the rest of the episode was trying to be more serious. But maybe they wanted levity for children.

Maybe the episode would have been a bit more exiting if we had not seen Zhu Li's betrayal coming. And why she still had the pin?

Bataar Jr. cares about Opal since he tried to stop the weapon. I assumed something like this would happen but it did not lead to anything with Kuvira. Maybe it is addressed later but it could have been there just to humanize Bataar Jr.

If Lin's dad was a nice guy and it just did not work out then why Toph was not told her who her father is? And has Toph told him that he has a daughter? If he did not want anything to do with Lin I do not think he could be described as nice. And why she just told it to Bolin? Toph comes across really unlikable despite the ending (but I have never been her biggest fan).

I think the excuses of keeping old characters from doing things are a bit weak but at least Toph did something.
cycle112
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #38 on: Dec 05, 2014 08:07 am »

Chinoiserie, the reason Zhu Li would have had the pin
is because she probably had just sabotaged it then. Meaning
she maybe couldn't find a good hiding place.
Fire Rose
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #39 on: Dec 05, 2014 08:10 am »

So Satoru is NOT Lin's father.........

Putting that aside it's not that surprising that Kuvira is going to hit RC next, but the question is whether or not she will be using the breakout as an excuse when we know that's not the reason. I guess it's now a combination of the city being former EK territory followed by the ethnic cleansing she developed for unknown reasons. The fact that she was putting Zhu-Li in the testing area just shows that she is no longer above killing.

While BJ may be a tool to all of us I did like that they showed him having a soft spot for Opal. I think this confirms that he is non-bender who may have close to Opal before she got her air bending, resulting in him becoming jealous and resentful to his own family. I guess this means that he will betray Kuvira at some point if she decides to kill her future sister-in-law. I'm also glad that we were right about Zhu-li not meaning what she said when pledging loyalty to Kuvira. Of course that doesn't mean that she was lying about what she thought of Varrick because he does owe her an apology. Perhaps that will be the next episode.

Lin's reaction to Toph is also understandable like the Su situation. Toph's "don't give a crap" attitude doesn't work anymore. It stopped working when she became mom and she knew that. I'm glad that she did acknowledge it.

Korra's B-plot was alright. I'm not too worried about the spirits choosing not help because you just know that they will in the end. If we want to series to end on a high note we need to see that Korra's decision in leaving the portals did have a payoff. For once, let's have the spirits help the humans instead of either jumping ship or being angry like most spirits did in the past.

Again, a good episode. Now I really want to see 411.
fireywaters
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Peace on Avatar, before peace in real life

« Reply #40 on: Dec 05, 2014 08:15 am »

Well what an episode, Kuvira finally lost a battle, didn't think that would happen with these Bai Fongs who didn't listen to Toph and thought with their emotions, which is not something they got from Toph. In the Day Of Black Sun invasion when things were falling apart Toph was the main person to suggest that they retreat. Keeping cool and not doing stupid rash things based on emotion that is something Suyan and her kids didn't get from Toph, and I am not sure Lin fits into this. If the rest of the Bai Fongs were there and they listened to their advice, Team Avatar would have captured as well in that failed invasion. When Opal did say this was their chance to stop Kuvira, I thought like mother, like daughter, this type of thinking is what got the family captured in the first place.

I kind of knew from Book 3, as much as Lin had issues with Suyan, she has just as much issues with Toph. So them talking it out was good. I don't know what to say about Toph the parent, and I am not excuses for her consider it appears Zuko turned out to be a good dad for what he know and we know what he had to deal with, but Toph's issues with her parents effected her parenting, and it seems that family issues continue to this day with Bataar Jr.

So Zhu Li was never on Kuvira's side, that is good for her moral compese and the world, but she better not let Varrick know, Bolin better not tell him either, this is her chance to change him for the better, while siding with Kuvira was too drastic, Varrick needed to be taught a lesson on how he treated her. Who knews Zhu Li never had in her to stand up for herself to Varrick, and Varrick walk all over forever, but his improbe plan in which she had to pretend to side with Kuvira might be the only way she would do what should have done a long time and not taking any more of Varrick's crap. So thanks Kuvira, you might have helped one girl's life improve.

As for the b plot, just when I think Wu is improving, maybe just maybe there is hope for him, he ruins it like Mako says. For a second I thought maybe he can develop enough of a character to become king, but nope. And Raiku pushing for nuclear weapons, I don't know what to say, don't do anything stupid Raiku, turst in your Avatar. As for Korra, perhaps she is going to need Zaheer's help to convince the spirits to help. Maybe Zaheer's role is not done.

As for the battle, so intense, I thought for sure we were going to a prison exchange episode like the Boiling Rock sure everyone got away but they did inprison Mai and Ty Lee, so perhaps I am thinking Su and her family will make it, but Toph and / or Lin would be captured, or Zhu Li would be captured, but nope complete victory for the good guys. Kuvira finally lost and who would thought it would be at the hands at the most emotional hot headed family this season. I thought for sure the way to beat Kuvira is to out smart her, but brute force won in the end, ironic that Bataar Jr was the receiving end of that, because brute force victories are a Natsu Dragnel specilty. Toph must be very respected and feared in the metal bending family, because Kuvira didn't try to stop them, even Kuvira knew don't mess with Toph.

Anyway great episode, 10 / 10 can't wait till next week to see what happens next.

Peace between the Fire Nation and the other nations, before peace in our world
Fire Rose
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #41 on: Dec 05, 2014 08:28 am »

As for the b plot, just when I think Wu is improving, maybe just maybe there is hope for him, he ruins it like Mako says. For a second I thought maybe he can develop enough of a character to become king, but nope. And Raiku pushing for nuclear weapons, I don't know what to say, don't do anything stupid Raiku, turst in your Avatar. As for Korra, perhaps she is going to need Zaheer's help to convince the spirits to help. Maybe Zaheer's role is not done.

Of course Raiko is going to mess something up because like Zaheer said, he's a moron (even M&B said that he is kind of a jerk in their wiki Q&A a few months back). He hasn't done anything rational since day 1. Heck, he has become Book 2 Korra this season because now he's demanding help from the nations and nuclear weapons.

I will give him credit that he is becoming more involved with wordily affairs but I think there's still a hint of selfishness. He only does things if his image is jepordized.
neverXbroken
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #42 on: Dec 05, 2014 08:30 am »

This episode is out on Nick now.

Lightningbend
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #43 on: Dec 05, 2014 08:38 am »

Is Nick's video player doing weird stuff for you guys? In Firefox it's in a "U" shaped box and in Chrome it's in a distorted, 4x3, SD form.

Legend of Korra, Nickelodeon's redheaded step-child.
Spiritwhisperer
Forum Moderator
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #44 on: Dec 05, 2014 08:48 am »

Lovely episode, great action and Beifong interaction!

That face Lin made when Bolin asked about her dad, wow, priceless.

Bryke is out there eating salad and laughing. People have been badgering them over who the girls' fathers are for years so they just throw out that total non-answer that basically tells us nothing xD
« Last Edit: Dec 05, 2014 08:52 am by Spiritwhisperer » Logged

"In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.”
- Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
The-Blue-Dragon-Lord
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Everlasting Dragon

« Reply #45 on: Dec 05, 2014 08:52 am »

Zhu Li.............. Did the right thing! Cheesy

I knew she was going to turn on Kuvira, eventually. Not just because of her history with Varrick (she's probably still mad at him), but she must've had the same concerns as he did, so she planned to sabotage the weapon from the start.

I guess this is one time where you can take out the "heartless" part in "cold, heartless war machine"...?

He is called Kalameet. A ferocious dragon indeed, even mighty Anor Londo dared not provoke his ire. — Hawkeye Gough
GoldenMan
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #46 on: Dec 05, 2014 09:05 am »

Who do you think, Korra will see in the spirit world next week? Iroh? Maybe even Aang?
fireywaters
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Peace on Avatar, before peace in real life

« Reply #47 on: Dec 05, 2014 09:14 am »

Well I am hoping on their way to Republic City to see some Bolin / Zhu Li interaction. I want Bolin to tell her she has the patient of a saint, or how could you put up with Varrick for so long without killing him. It is obvious Bolin has a renewed appreciation for what Zhu Li had to put up with after being Varrick's Zhu Li stand in.
« Last Edit: Dec 05, 2014 09:16 am by fireywaters » Logged

Peace between the Fire Nation and the other nations, before peace in our world
Spiritwhisperer
Forum Moderator
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #48 on: Dec 05, 2014 09:14 am »

I loved the design on that spirit bird snake thing who talked for the spirits to korra.

"In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.”
- Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
Javisbc
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #49 on: Dec 05, 2014 09:18 am »

Does anyone think that there will be a shipping at the end of the series? i for one think not, there is no build up at all at this point. No one seems to even try to start something out, Korra, Asami, Mako, all of them just seem to be minding their own stuff with little interest in romance. Even Mako doesn't seem jealous if Wu tries something, i think he is pretty over with Korra as a couple
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: