Jul 28, 2017 12:59 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Episode:
10 - 41 (42.3%)
9 - 27 (27.8%)
8 - 18 (18.6%)
7 - 7 (7.2%)
6 - 2 (2.1%)
5 - 1 (1%)
4 - 1 (1%)
3 - 0 (0%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 97

Pages: « previous page   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [409] Beyond the Wilds  (Read 21121 times)
Prince Lu Ten
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Brave soldier boy Comes marching home

« Reply #225 on: Dec 01, 2014 05:29 pm »

At this point she's really like a daughter to him.

I really enjoyed the dynamic between Korra and Tenzin this episode. Tenzin doesn't want to put too much pressure on Korra at this point, but Korra sees it for what it is.
The lines she said to Tenzin before she goes to see Zaheer, chills.
"You've lost faith in me too, haven't you? Noone thinks I'm capable of anything anymore.."
That voicework, Janet. That edge-of-tears choke in the voice. Damn chills.

I love watching the dynamic between the too and how it is constantly evolving and changing throughout the seasons.  I truly believe that their relationship is the heart and soul of this series.

"Sometimes, life is like this dark tunnel. You can't always see the light at the end of the tunnel, but if you just keep moving, you will come to a better place."
- Iroh 2.20, "The Crossroads of Destiny"
Hand of Vaatu
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #226 on: Dec 01, 2014 06:35 pm »

Has Tonraq even seen Korra since she came back or did he just get right back on the ship when Tenzin said they hadn't seen her.
ahintoflime
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #227 on: Dec 01, 2014 08:55 pm »

Has Tonraq even seen Korra since she came back or did he just get right back on the ship when Tenzin said they hadn't seen her.

Like most other things, it probably happened offscreen or she sent him a letter. The opening said "weeks ago" she removed the last of the poison from her body. So that's one day. Then the travel to Zaofu. Then the one day spent there. Then the travel to RC. Then her stay there until this most current episode.

It's probably just another classic example of the writers not considering time, or all of Korra's "support" can't comprehend what it means to actually support someone.
ViridianIV
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #228 on: Dec 01, 2014 10:11 pm »

This was a great episode.  second best of the series... possibly (behind Korra Alone obviously) some great character development (even for past villains) Korra's journey has been a really crap one since the start of season 3, so its good she finally got a dang break.

NOW.  We are approaching the series finale.  Of all things Avatar.  Anyone wonder if Zaheer's 'I think your powers are limitless' might be foreshadowing something spectacularly awesome?

\"That woman is my hero.\"
TishToshTesh
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #229 on: Dec 02, 2014 03:06 am »

It's a little thing, and maybe dumb, but I love the short bit with Korra playing with Naga using earthbending on bricks in the pavement.  Bending in combat is great, but I really like the worldbuilding and humor in such small non-combat vignettes.
Molra
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Stories are everywhere.

« Reply #230 on: Dec 02, 2014 09:54 am »

Anyone wonder if Zaheer's 'I think your powers are limitless' might be foreshadowing something spectacularly awesome?

I do. I even worry about that and hope the awesomeness won't be too much exaggerated.

"Some see a hopeless end, while others see an endless hope."
Solitude
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Shaped by fire and ice.

« Reply #231 on: Dec 02, 2014 07:49 pm »

Anyone wonder if Zaheer's 'I think your powers are limitless' might be foreshadowing something spectacularly awesome?

I do. I even worry about that and hope the awesomeness won't be too much exaggerated.

Yeah, I was actually worried that it might be be exaggerated to the point that the finale will be so one-sided. I hope not!

SMBH
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Lord Zuko is not amused

« Reply #232 on: Dec 02, 2014 09:14 pm »

So I watched this episode at my in-laws' house this past weekend, and my husband's nieces watched it with us.

The 10-year-old little tornado that is his youngest niece LOL'd the LOLiest LOL ever LOL'd at this bit:

And then proceeded to go around the house the rest of the day poking people and saying "I'm gonna poke it with a stick" in the same goofy voice.

Which wasn't at all annoying. Noooooo, not at all. Thanks, Mike and Bryan.

Tongue

Moral of the story: don't watch Korra with hyperactive little kids around.

(yes i loved the episode, but this kid was very annoying with the poking for the rest of the time after watching)

ATLA Keeps: Kuei's necklace, Pandalilies, Zhaodburns, Sokka's DoBS speech
TLOK Keeps: Sparkly bush, Aang's statue, Korrlok, Asami's racetrack
BlackPanther1012
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #233 on: Dec 03, 2014 09:55 am »

At this point she's really like a daughter to him.

I really enjoyed the dynamic between Korra and Tenzin this episode. Tenzin doesn't want to put too much pressure on Korra at this point, but Korra sees it for what it is.
The lines she said to Tenzin before she goes to see Zaheer, chills.
"You've lost faith in me too, haven't you? Noone thinks I'm capable of anything anymore.."
That voicework, Janet. That edge-of-tears choke in the voice. Damn chills.

I love watching the dynamic between the too and how it is constantly evolving and changing throughout the seasons.  I truly believe that their relationship is the heart and soul of this series.

And what's notable is that there hasn't been much interaction between Korra and Tenzin. But when it's there, it's THERE

What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.
--Philipians 4:9
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #234 on: Dec 05, 2014 06:40 pm »

I was disappointed in this episode when I first watched it, but the more I think about it, the more I do think it was probably a victim of both the creeping need from the storytellers to do 1-hour episodes, and the budget cuts that created the clip show.

The plot didn't really have any purpose, aside from giving Korra a time-sensitive excuse to go see Zaheer (Opal's family being captives wasn't already enough?), and I thought that Zaheer curing her of the last of her psych issues in two minutes was far too quick and easy. However, we also had the Wu kidnapping that was equally pointless, so I wonder if perhaps something couldn't have been done to make a single RC-centric "healing" episode that would have allowed Korra's recovery the time it needs to breathe, while also cutting down on all the pointless antics that are keeping everyone sitting in RC for four episodes.

I have a feeling that a "Rewrite Book Balance" is going to be popular, once the series is over. It has good elements, and I think Korra's journey needs to be multi-stage as it's been presented, but things seem so dragged out, and that cuts back on the impact.

My initial reaction to Izumi was disappointment in her decision, but I quickly realized that I was thinking of things in terms of just her, and not that she has a whole nation behind her. Getting the support to fight a foreign war, even if one side has a spirit-powered doomsday laser (now that I think about it, that's a little over-the-top, isn't it?), with the Fire Nation's history and all the values that Zuko presumably instilled in the new generation of his people, wouldn't be easy. So, I'm okay with her brief scene.

But come on, seriously, she's Maiko spawn.

zukataang
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #235 on: Dec 23, 2014 04:49 pm »

Just saw this episode!

Yeah, only just now even though the show is already over. I have had the (mis)fortune to be so busy the last 4 weeks that I didn’t watch the episodes as they aired.

Yay part : Now I can watch each episode back to back without agonizing for a week of wait every time. And the fact that this episode ended on an interesting cliffhanger makes me feel even better about that.

Non-yay part: I didn’t get to neurotically speculate and obsess over every detail and debate about character flanderizations, inaccurate portrayals of mental illnesses and all those other fun topics with you guys. =(

Ah, making painful, painful choices, that’s what life is all about.

Anyway,

This episode was pretty good, especially compared to the one that came before it.

Honora was named! Honora SPOKE! AND she said very wise things as she did so. I liked her design, I liked her voice, I liked her everything.

Now, I know that Bryke said that they would avoid giving special attention to the gaang’s kids just because they’re the gaang’s kids, and right now nothing makes it necessary for Honora to be thrust into the foreground, but I can’t help but  feel disappointed with the fact that she probably won't get a bigger role in the future, apparently. I kinda want my fanservice. Too bad, but I can live with it, I guess.

What I wouldn’t be able to live with is not getting a glimpse of the Fire Nation. Something. Anything. Please.

I liked seeing Prince Wu try to be less of a frivolous ignoramus by performing his political duties as a prince. His ideas were silly, but I still believe that he’d be a decent guy if he just spent some more time in touch with the real world that he’s always been so cruelly sheltered from. Either that or he is just stupid, but I don't want this character to be that simple. =/ I liked the prospect of seeing him learn what reality is really like and grow into a more astute person because of it.

Korra’s running joke-esque “him, not me?” line made me lol. It's a little cruel how blunt she is about the poor guy's ineptitude, but then again she's just being honest.

And Varrick!

“Okay, I guess we should open with that line.”

Oh Varrick. Still just as much fun. I prepare myself to laugh as soon as he appears on the screen and then he doesn’t disappoint.

“I own that building! A man has the right to blow up his own property!” Cheesy

I liked Bolin too in this episode. He’s just so adorable (“I really wanna hug again” Aw Cheesy) and even though his voice actor didn’t perform better than usual, for some reason, I really noticed how great a job his actor does with him in general, as I watched this episode.

I’m not super engaged by his conflict with Opal to be honest. He only did what he thought was right, like everyone else. And he didn’t let some rumors undermine his faith in someone he trusted a lot, like so many other people would. And once he had conclusive evidence that his trust was misplaced, he immediately did the right thing. And he apologized already. Like, he did everything he could at this point and all that’s left is for Opal to just get some time to simmer down. Those are all understandable reactions, but they don’t make for very captivating drama, I think.
Part of the reason is probably the fact that Bolin had pretty understandable reasons for doing what he did, so I don't really feel any satisfaction from seeing him being snarked at and ignored by Opal (whereas I was perfectly fine with Katara doing it with Zuko). And then there's also the fact that it’s so obvious that they’ll get back together in the end that there isn't any suspense or anything that makes it more intense.

Bolin’s love confession was cute though. Opal’s reaction to it felt a little weird. “Thank you” in general, is an odd reply to “I love you”. And the way she said that he could “win me back” by doing something for her also felt a little emotionless and… transactional. Like, “You owe me, pay me back this way”. I don’t know, but helping her on her secret mission to save her family (why is it even secret? Everyone is against Kuvira, who would stop them if they knew anyway?) doesn’t erase his past mistakes. She should be able to forgive his past mistakes no matter whether he helps her on their mission or not. Maybe she’s just reserved about her feelings and that’s what’s making her come across as cold, but… Yeah, she comes across as a little cold to me.

Jinora got captured again. Nothing new under the sun. But the action scene where she gets captured was really well done. I loved watching it.

Same for the Makorra vs vines fight sene. Really pretty.

And I’m enjoying the Makorra hints. The foundation for a Makorra revival still seems a little weak for now though, I hope there will be more bonding scenes between them to build up to their reunion as a couple, if it ever happens.

Zaheer came back, as predicted by just about everyone alive. I liked how he was talking to her so casually without any remorse whatsoever about the way he tried to murderkill her to death the other day and yet it didn’t feel off at all. They were enemies, but it made sense for them to be helping each other out in that moment. I also like that he didn’t come across as a crazy guy without credibility who needed to be shut up with a sock in his mouth (ugh), he’s calm and principled and feels like an authentic human being, not just a mustache twirly villain.

Asami (who is still wearing that outfit that I hate, by the way) has been given something to do. Great. I’ll mourn the comedic Bovarrick twosome, but surely her and Varrick will incite some laughter too.

Her "don't even think of double-crossing me" line paired with the hand wrenching felt so Suki-esque. She's pretty much her LOK equivalent.

Kai is still MIA. Mmm… Okay?

So is Toph apparently? Am I really supposed to believe that she’s letting Kuvira pulverize her sacred home without any protest? I'm curious as to why that is.

I wasn’t very on board with the weird humor at the beginning where the guy’s like “Oh, slithering spirit vine. Lemme not run for my life and poke it with a stick instead.” *pokes it with stick*

(No, really, why would you do that?)

But overall, even though nothing particularly struck me, it was a good episode.

On to the next one!

« Last Edit: Dec 23, 2014 04:57 pm by zukataang » Logged
Pages: « previous page   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: