Apr 27, 2017 02:21 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Episode:
10 - 41 (42.3%)
9 - 27 (27.8%)
8 - 18 (18.6%)
7 - 7 (7.2%)
6 - 2 (2.1%)
5 - 1 (1%)
4 - 1 (1%)
3 - 0 (0%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 97

Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [409] Beyond the Wilds  (Read 19901 times)
DoTheDwah
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Get in... I got caaandyyy...

michael_manley_426
« Reply #200 on: Nov 30, 2014 03:15 pm »

lol this whole Bolin thing is being blown out of proportion. What he did wasn't even that bad

Oh sure, actively lying to someone whom he knows trusts him in an express attempt to worm his way back into her arms isn't that bad. Sorry, but in my eyes that just sails right past run-of-the-mill villainy into straight-up douchebaggery.

Kuvira might imprison foreign-borns and stick them in re-education and labor camps, but she's an evil dictator. It's what she does so I can't really hold that against her. What Bolin did, however, was simply uncalled for and an absolute jerk thing to do.
« Last Edit: Nov 30, 2014 03:20 pm by DoTheDwah » Logged

mmoon24
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #201 on: Nov 30, 2014 03:16 pm »

Yeah sure...

Working for a dictator who is sending people to "re-education" camps, taking your girlfriend's family, and threatening world leaders is sooo better than cheating on your girlfriend.
The Shpee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #202 on: Nov 30, 2014 03:31 pm »

The whole point was for him to talk to her more and try to get her to forgive him. She wouldn't really talk to him at all, I will admit that maybe lying was dumb, but you're making it seem as if he's a womanizer who's trying to get in her pants when that's not the case at all.
DoTheDwah
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Get in... I got caaandyyy...

michael_manley_426
« Reply #203 on: Nov 30, 2014 03:37 pm »

The whole point was for him to talk to her more and try to get her to forgive him. She wouldn't really talk to him at all, I will admit that maybe lying was dumb, but you're making it seem as if he's a womanizer who's trying to get in her pants when that's not the case at all.

Okay, you got a point. The lying was indeed a pretty crap thing to do, but his intentions were at least entirely benign.

Boilinfangirl
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #204 on: Nov 30, 2014 03:42 pm »

Yeah sure...

Working for a dictator who is sending people to "re-education" camps, taking your girlfriend's family, and threatening world leaders is sooo better than cheating on your girlfriend.
I can't tell if your being sarcastic or not. Bolin didn't realize till too late what kind of person he was working for, he left as soon as he found out though. It's not like he stayed working for knowing what went on.

Like I said lying was bad and was wrong timing to do that stuff but he had good intentions behind it. I wonder had Bolin tried to actually apologize her right off without doing that, would she actually listen with how she's acting? She's being blinded by rage over what's going on with her family and Zaofu, while understandable but still. She is taking out a lot on the guy but that's another thing.

Mako on the other hand had a choice and wasn't being fooled by any one in the situations he was doing it by his own will in the first two seasons but whatever. Both boys seem be confused how to deal with this.

Banner made by guitarfreak, thank you your the best!
Big Bolin fan already yesXD
Will ship him wit
Gururu
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #205 on: Nov 30, 2014 03:45 pm »

Yeah sure...

I can't tell if your being sarcastic or not. Bolin didn't realize till too late what kind of person he was working for, he left as soon as he found out though. It's not like he stayed working for knowing what went on.

Korra showed Mako the cold shoulder for more than 3 years (Not even a greeting card? What the heck?). I feel like they both have some apologizing to do. Just saying.
« Last Edit: Nov 30, 2014 03:48 pm by Gururu » Logged

You know, it seems like you're so afraid to disappoint anyone, that you end up disappointing everyone.
Boilinfangirl
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #206 on: Nov 30, 2014 03:52 pm »

What? It's true, he only saw the good side of her at first. When he was being threatened by her and was willing to kill Varrick he tried to leave, first attempt caught though Tongue

Sure he had warnings but like I said he only saw the good side so.

Will ship him wit
Gururu
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #207 on: Nov 30, 2014 03:55 pm »

What? It's true, he only saw the good side of her at first. When he was being threatened by her and was willing to kill Varrick he tried to leave, first attempt caught though Tongue

Sure he had warnings but like I said he only saw the good side so.

Yeah man, she would've fooled me, too. You know, just some tough rhetoric. No biggie. It's probably Mako's fault, though. He didn't warn Bolin ENOUGH.

You know, it seems like you're so afraid to disappoint anyone, that you end up disappointing everyone.
Boilinfangirl
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #208 on: Nov 30, 2014 04:04 pm »

I don't blame Mako for that, that's just silly to do. Mako was the one warning him from rumors he heard but to be fair at this point it seemed like Kuriva was threatening people to save the Earth Kingdom. Even Mako was saying at least she's trying to help and scolding Prince Wu about his actions.

Bolin wanted to help people at first he questioned her but she was only giving threats at that time. It wasn't till later on when things started to get real.

Will ship him wit
ThaiOzai
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #209 on: Nov 30, 2014 04:12 pm »

I'm sorry, I fail to see what Bolin did this episode cancels out what Mako did the first two seasons. It may not have been a bright idea or right timing for it but at least he good intentions behind it. Mako pretty much cheated in the first season and played with people's feelings in the second. Maybe I missed some thing here. Oh well, guess different opinions on relationships. I don't want to get into it with other people on the situation so I'll stop.

I'm sure they'll make up at the end for good reasons.

Lol yeah, because Mako cheating on his girlfriend or hooking up with Asami too soon after breaking up with Korra is comparable to Bolin helping Kuvira take over the Earth Kingdom. Even if Bolin didn't know what was going on, people can still be annoyed at his naiveté and stupidity reaching new highs.
Boilinfangirl
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #210 on: Nov 30, 2014 04:23 pm »

I'm sorry, I fail to see what Bolin did this episode cancels out what Mako did the first two seasons. It may not have been a bright idea or right timing for it but at least he good intentions behind it. Mako pretty much cheated in the first season and played with people's feelings in the second. Maybe I missed some thing here. Oh well, guess different opinions on relationships. I don't want to get into it with other people on the situation so I'll stop.

I'm sure they'll make up at the end for good reasons.

Lol yeah, because Mako cheating on his girlfriend or hooking up with Asami too soon after breaking up with Korra is comparable to Bolin helping Kuvira take over the Earth Kingdom. Even if Bolin didn't know what was going on, people can still be annoyed at his naiveté and stupidity reaching new highs.
Fair enough, people were annoyed about that since book two.

I just find it odd how some people are acting like what he did was as worse than cheating when he was just trying to fix his relationship. Was it a stupid way? Yes I agree with that and like I said wrong timing but..This is just silly.

Than again I'm exactly thrilled with how Opal treated him at the end either but yah.
He's been more mature this season though, it's just one step forward another step back type.
I'm looking forward to how hey'll act next episode, will it be another step forward? Guess will see.
« Last Edit: Nov 30, 2014 04:27 pm by Boilinfangirl » Logged

Will ship him wit
Gururu
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #211 on: Nov 30, 2014 04:26 pm »

I don't blame Mako for that, that's just silly to do. Mako was the one warning him from rumors he heard but to be fair at this point it seemed like Kuriva was threatening people to save the Earth Kingdom. Even Mako was saying at least she's trying to help and scolding Prince Wu about his actions.

Bolin wanted to help people at first he questioned her but she was only giving threats at that time. It wasn't till later on when things started to get real.

What rumors? She threatened the rest of the world. Mako states clearly and correctly, that "now, Kuvira went against all the other nations". Bolin himself felt conflicted about it and he still let her talk him into following her, after his brother warned him.
Bolin made a huge mistake. Even he knows it in "Beyond the Wilds". Opal has every right to be furious with him.
« Last Edit: Nov 30, 2014 04:32 pm by Gururu » Logged

Boilinfangirl
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #212 on: Nov 30, 2014 04:32 pm »

What rumors? She threatened the rest of the world. Mako states clearly and correctly, that "now, Kuvira went against all the other nations". Bolin himself felt conflicted about it and he still let her talk him into following her, after his brother warned him.
Bolin made a huge mistake. Even he knows it in "Beyond the Wilds". Opal has every right to be furious with him.
Like I said, she was threatening people to protect the Earth kingdom at that time, she pretty much tolled him that when he confronted her about it. He just wanted to help people and saw the goodness in her first, helping clean up the area his family was in?

He knows now that it was a mistake and feels bad about his actions.
Ask for Opal, I agree she has her having a reason to be angry but I feel she's taking things a we bit too far, that's my opinion.
« Last Edit: Nov 30, 2014 04:34 pm by Boilinfangirl » Logged

Will ship him wit
Goodfella
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

On the Isle of Sanity

« Reply #213 on: Nov 30, 2014 05:00 pm »

Like I said, she was threatening people to protect the Earth kingdom at that time, she pretty much tolled him that when he confronted her about it. He just wanted to help people and saw the goodness in her first, helping clean up the area his family was in?

Ask for Opal, I agree she has her having a reason to be angry but I feel she's taking things a we bit too far, that's my opinion.

She's being pretty lenient IMO. I probably wouldn't want to see Bolin for a long while after the whole "I (unknowningly) helped a tyrant capture your home and your family", feelings aside. She's not cutting him out of her life or even breaking up with him, she's just busy with other things and seeing Bolin brings back the anger.

In terms of what people take offense to with what she said at the end, would it have helped if she'd phrased it differently? Such as, rather than saying "there is something you can do to make it up to me" cutting straight to "I don't need a picnic, I need help"?
Boilinfangirl
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #214 on: Nov 30, 2014 05:15 pm »

She's being pretty lenient IMO. I probably wouldn't want to see Bolin for a long while after the whole "I (unknowningly) helped a tyrant capture your home and your family", feelings aside. She's not cutting him out of her life or even breaking up with him, she's just busy with other things and seeing Bolin brings back the anger.

In terms of what people take offense to with what she said at the end, would it have helped if she'd phrased it differently? Such as, rather than saying "there is something you can do to make it up to me" cutting straight to "I don't need a picnic, I need help"?
Like I said, it's my opinion. I understand why she's angry but giving him a help me or we break up thing? He would have offered any ways had she tolled him about it.  I'm fine with a suiside mission, but oh you get the idea right? I'm clearly not the only one who thinks this, one thinks she's going Esks level. I wouldn't say that about her but yahXD

Will ship him wit
Goodfella
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

On the Isle of Sanity

« Reply #215 on: Nov 30, 2014 05:20 pm »

Like I said, it's my opinion. I understand why she's angry but giving him a help me or we break up thing? He would have offered any ways had she tolled him about it.  I'm fine with a suiside mission, but oh you get the idea right? I'm clearly not the only one who thinks this, one thinks she's going Esks level. I wouldn't say that about her but yahXD

Tbf, she didn't say "or we break up". Bolin was looking for a way to make it up to her and that was what she needed the most then. Had it been an ultimatum I would have probably taken offense but it wasn't.

Hell, it probably demonstrates what faith she has in him. Lin stressed this was a top secret, dangerous mission. If Opal had doubts about Bolin, she probably would have just brushed him off entirely or just asked him to not tell anyone where her and Lin were going.
Sannom
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #216 on: Nov 30, 2014 05:43 pm »

I will keep saying it, I really only have a problem with Opal presenting the mission as a way for Bolin to win her back. There is something unsettling in that. I would have been fine with her presenting it as a way to make up (or start making up) for his mistakes.

She's not cutting him out of her life or even breaking up with him, she's just busy with other things and seeing Bolin brings back the anger.
She's not breaking up with him because she already broke up with him back in Zao Fu though, when she said that he had chosen his side.
kotor10
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #217 on: Nov 30, 2014 09:12 pm »

I agree somewhat on that, but also if Opal knows Bolin like she should, being that she is in a relationship with him, she should know his heart and personality now, know that he is a type of person who sees the good in people and sometimes can let that make him easy prey for manipulators to use him for shady or even evil purposes without him even knowing about it. He isnt evil, and she knows this. I agree that she is letting her anger and rage of her family situation boil over to Bolin, like he was the one who actually imprisioned them himself, and that is wrong. Be angry at him for blinding believing someone without checking to make sure they are on the up and up, but in my opinion, not for the actions of what someone else did, he didnt do it, thats the bottom line, so she needs to place her rage, not anger, her rage where it belongs, and that is with Kuvira and her brother Bataar Jr. they are the ones who imprisioned her family, not Bolin.

Bolin messed up, big time, and he has to answer for the consequences for his actions, he has to learn while seeing the trust and good in people, to not take them too much at face value, to be shrewd as well as good hearted, to know the intent of someone who he works for or believes so he wont be unwittingly doing evil or shady things for someone else without him even knowing it, and to trust the people who love him most if they notice something is off about the one he trusts and to at least look into it and see for himself if who he associates and put his trust in is worthy of his trust and loyalty. In other words be as wise as the serpent, but as harmless as a dove, to continue to be his good natured self with a good heart and wanting to help people, but also looking into the intent of a person who he admires and look up to, to make sure they are who they purport to be.

He is 0-2 so far in this regard, though Varrick was more morally grey and was mainly out for number 1 no matter who won, he seems to be changing for the better in my opinion, so that is good.
JuDee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

^Credit to INTJf

« Reply #218 on: Dec 01, 2014 02:15 am »

Oh wow. Zaheer. What a good person. Wow.
I can't fathom how could he maintain his sense over what happened to him. Helping Korra so conveniently... wow.

:/

Keeps : Female Air Nomad's robe, Aang's Fire Nation school outfit, Joo Dee's official tour guide robe and The Day of Black Sun.
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #219 on: Dec 01, 2014 03:19 am »

Oh wow. Zaheer. What a good person. Wow.
I can't fathom how could he maintain his sense over what happened to him. Helping Korra so conveniently... wow.

:/

Well, I mean it kind of makes sense. He hates the idea of leaders and his actions led to the creation of the worst dictator the Earth Kingdom has ever seen. It's almost like he's human and can feel regret...
Spiritwhisperer
Forum Moderator
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #220 on: Dec 01, 2014 07:06 am »

After Korra tells him he created a horrible dictator, you can see Zaheer's eyes thin with regret and realization. He didn't just want "chaos" like an abstract concept, he wanted freedom for everyone from opressive governments. But instead all his friends died and he created an even more oppressive government than even before.

He may have weakened Korra, but he didn't succeed in destroying the cycle altogether, so even if Korra stayed broken another Avatar would just be born again when she passed away. However Zaheer did have the opportunity to free a continent from oppression during his own lifetime. Zaheer helped Korra, without betraying any of his beliefs.

"In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.”
- Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
Goodfella
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

On the Isle of Sanity

« Reply #221 on: Dec 01, 2014 07:21 am »

^Yep. As he told Korra, in that moment his and Korra's interests aligned. It's not that he doesn't still believe in anarchy and chaos, it's that the opposite of what he wanted occurred and he'd rather get rid of that than leave things be. Korra was just the best means to do it since she's planning on getting rid of Kuvira anyway.

It's part of what keeps Zaheer interesting versus just being a MWAHHAHHA villain.
Funkybender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #222 on: Dec 01, 2014 09:36 am »

I won't lie, I'm a bit disturbed by just how detached Zaheer really is. All of his compatriots have been dead for three years and he bears no ill will toward Korra and decides to help her. He is the best example of a villain dedicated to a cause and not just messing things up for the heroes that I've seen in fiction.
Prince Lu Ten
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Brave soldier boy Comes marching home

« Reply #223 on: Dec 01, 2014 01:12 pm »

One of my favorite things about this episode is Tenzin's reaction when Jinora tells him that Korra saved them.  That soft smile and look of hope on his face almost makes me tear up. 

"Sometimes, life is like this dark tunnel. You can't always see the light at the end of the tunnel, but if you just keep moving, you will come to a better place."
- Iroh 2.20, "The Crossroads of Destiny"
Spiritwhisperer
Forum Moderator
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #224 on: Dec 01, 2014 01:21 pm »

At this point she's really like a daughter to him.

I really enjoyed the dynamic between Korra and Tenzin this episode. Tenzin doesn't want to put too much pressure on Korra at this point, but Korra sees it for what it is.
The lines she said to Tenzin before she goes to see Zaheer, chills.
"You've lost faith in me too, haven't you? Noone thinks I'm capable of anything anymore.."
That voicework, Janet. That edge-of-tears choke in the voice. Damn chills.

"In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.”
- Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: