Oct 18, 2019 07:49 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Episode:
10 - 41 (42.3%)
9 - 27 (27.8%)
8 - 18 (18.6%)
7 - 7 (7.2%)
6 - 2 (2.1%)
5 - 1 (1%)
4 - 1 (1%)
3 - 0 (0%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 97

Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [409] Beyond the Wilds  (Read 36503 times)
Waking _Dreamer
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #175 on: Nov 29, 2014 04:51 am »

Do you folks realize we finally saw 2 vital scenes of the book 4 trailer?

The Jinora flaying through jungle ruins (it was RC, but that was not really known back then) and the in front of Zaheer's prison scene?

It seems all the scenes from the trailer have been shown. That leaves the last four eps a total mystery.

I might be the first to say this....but Im bummed that the final season of Korra has Mako Bolin wearing the worst outfits of all the seasons. Hopefully they'll get battle / war attire in the next  episode or so.

Gururu
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #176 on: Nov 29, 2014 05:05 am »

Do you folks realize we finally saw 2 vital scenes of the book 4 trailer?

The Jinora flaying through jungle ruins (it was RC, but that was not really known back then) and the in front of Zaheer's prison scene?

It seems all the scenes from the trailer have been shown. That leaves the last four eps a total mystery.

I might be the first to say this....but Im bummed that the final season of Korra has Mako Bolin wearing the worst outfits of all the seasons. Hopefully they'll get battle / war attire in the next  episode or so.

I'm glad Bolin got his old hairdo back. Your move Mako. Cheesy

You know, it seems like you're so afraid to disappoint anyone, that you end up disappointing everyone.
TheGreenLotus
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #177 on: Nov 29, 2014 05:15 am »

If Opal just asked Meelo to come into a top secret rescue mission full of action and lots of fighting I am 100% sure that Meelo would be kicking to come!
MightyFire
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #178 on: Nov 29, 2014 05:28 am »

I paid a lot of attention to Zaheer's statement to Korra about her power. I am suspecting that the finale might have Korra showing some unbelievable Avatar power that we've never before seen in either of the shows or any of the comics.

I REALLY hope that will be the case, because Studio Mir is so good at animating action (and everything else in the show) and it would be perfect eye candy to see a finale fight surpassing that of ATLA.
kotor10
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #179 on: Nov 29, 2014 08:23 am »

I hope so too, I really want Korra to be dominating in her final fights, no more rescues by others to win, I want her to win totally and utterly against her foe on her own.

On aside, I hope that Opal's animosity towards Bolin fades soon (in my opinion alone, it is getting tiresome not her being angry at him which that I get, but the way she is expressiing that anger towards him hardened and almost malicious at times in it), yes he has consequences he have to live with because of his actions, but his heart is always in the right place and she knows this, she knows his heart, he isnt evil, he just got deceived by a great manipulator, which can happen to anyone if not careful, but if she continues to be so rough and cruel to him, she will have consequences too for her actions, he may get tired of it and in spite of him loving her, may feel that the constant animosity is not worth it and may break up with her completely. No one wants to be a punching bag for someone forever.
« Last Edit: Nov 29, 2014 08:32 am by kotor10 » Logged
Sannom
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #180 on: Nov 29, 2014 09:13 am »

On aside, I hope that Opal's animosity towards Bolin fades soon
To be fair, he really asked for it in their second encounter, pretending to have broken both of his legs so that she would come to him. That's downright malicious, and she was right to get angry and chew him up.

Some think that she is being incredibly manipulative and guilting Bolin into going on a suicide mission to win her love.
That, I will admit, I didn't like. Opal was ready to ask other people, it was Lin who told her not to, so she wasn't exactly desperate. So why did she present it as a chance to win her back to Bolin?

How is Zaheer not able to airbend with those chains on?
Presumably he cannot do anything really dangerous with it, like pulling someone in his circle or using his asphyxiation technique.
Fire Rose
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #181 on: Nov 29, 2014 09:33 am »

I hope so too, I really want Korra to be dominating in her final fights, no more rescues by others to win, I want her to win totally and utterly against her foe on her own.

On aside, I hope that Opal's animosity towards Bolin fades soon (in my opinion alone, it is getting tiresome not her being angry at him which that I get, but the way she is expressiing that anger towards him hardened and almost malicious at times in it), yes he has consequences he have to live with because of his actions, but his heart is always in the right place and she knows this, she knows his heart, he isnt evil, he just got deceived by a great manipulator, which can happen to anyone if not careful, but if she continues to be so rough and cruel to him, she will have consequences too for her actions, he may get tired of it and in spite of him loving her, may feel that the constant animosity is not worth it and may break up with her completely. No one wants to be a punching bag for someone forever.

It will not surprise me if Opal will be taking the "Katara approach" by still continuing to make jabs at Bolin for how he messed up (she is a Bei-Fong. They're stubborn). I can see Lin, who has learned a similar in Book 3, tell Opal to stop feeling sorry for herself and get over it. Yes, Bolin did something terrible but he is genuinely remorseful about it and wants to make amends really badly. If Opal is always going to hold onto that even after she takes him back (which she will) then she will become a lonely bitter woman like Lin was.
Funkybender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #182 on: Nov 29, 2014 02:28 pm »

I respect Opal for treating Bolin the way she did. Where I lose respect for her is that by the end of the series she will undoubtedly take him back.

She will because I she still seems to love him. That's why I think the scene was a little weird. She's dangling the option of taking him back in front of him and of course he will take the chance. It would have seemed more genuine if Bolin had offered from the start. But of course Opal should be furious at Bolin whether or not he was directly responsible for her family's capture.

That's more or less what I said. The residual poison just feels like an excuse to bring Toph in for fanservice, and even if she actually does do something this next episode, I'll probably never shake the notion that that's really all she's here for.

The whole Dark Korra thing seems like just a side effect of Korra dwelling on Zaheer, and I'm semi-positive we won't be dealing with that anymore. Then again, this show's proved itself no stranger to disappointing me Tongue

That's probably all that it was. It definitely didn't appear to be a normal hallucination. Anyway, at least Toph got her introduction before rather than popping up this episode out of nowhere.

Some think that she is being incredibly manipulative and guilting Bolin into going on a suicide mission to win her love.
That, I will admit, I didn't like. Opal was ready to ask other people, it was Lin who told her not to, so she wasn't exactly desperate. So why did she present it as a chance to win her back to Bolin?

Yeah. He would have gone anyway, so there really wasn't a need for the emotional blackmail. I don't know why this bothers me so much; I really like Opal and Bolin, and this just seems like the start to an unhealthy relationship that won't improve.

Opal is starting to exhibit some tendencies that conflict greatly with Air Nation philosophy; she's becoming vindictive, manipulative, and hot-headed. If she loses something (or someone) close to her she really could disavow Air Nation teachings completely and corrupt its techniques for her own purposes like Zaheer did. I don't think we will get that far though, but in the next few episodes I could see her wrestle with the temptation to exact vengeance like Katara did in The Southern Raiders.
Boilinfangirl
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #183 on: Nov 29, 2014 03:13 pm »

If Bolin gets caught due to sacrificing himself for her in the next episode I like the idea of her being emotionally distraught / guilty and worried about him.

Though I like the idea of her wanting to kill Bj for what happened and Bolin talking her out of it.

Either option works for me Tongue

Yah, I'm a Bopal shipper and wasn't happy with how she handled the situation myself Sad
I hope she looks at herself good long and hard, sees what she's doing right now.

Banner made by guitarfreak, thank you your the best!
Big Bolin fan already yesXD
Will ship him wit
mccruz
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #184 on: Nov 29, 2014 03:41 pm »

Warning: Spoilers

Am I the only person who was sort of disappointed by this episode?

The humor seemed forced and excessive (the last straw was Bolin's 'picnic') , the dialogue was bumpy (last straw was Korra's conversation with Zahir, which didn't seem natural), and the transition from one scene to the next seemed rushed and perhaps even incoherent (last straw was Korra finding everybody in the end).

I was hoping this episode would severely make up for the last, but was left disappointed.

Spiritwhisperer
Forum Moderator
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #185 on: Nov 29, 2014 06:24 pm »

I can agree on the humor (usually I kinda like Wu - but this time he really didn't do it for me), but didn't find the dialogue in Korra's conversation with Zaheer bumpy. There's maybe 1-2 lines, and even then I think a different intonation in the voice would've made those lines better, rather than needing to rewrite the line.

I don't see what's wrong with Raava guiding Korra to the others in the spirit world. Vaatu has done that 'travel-while-standing-still' thing too, so I don't see why Raava wouldn't be able to do it either.

"In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.”
- Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
nightingale
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

This duality in me, ice and fire within.

« Reply #186 on: Nov 29, 2014 08:00 pm »

Well, wonderful. Nice to see some of us rewarded for recklessly jumping to conclusions on minimal evidence, thus devaluing patience and general thinking skills. Course, this also renders the whole "residual poison" part of the story (as well as Korra's failure at Zaofu by extension) utterly pointless as this really could've been done in like the third episode or something. If Korra was still dwelling on Zaheer even after Toph's whole "that fight is over" spiel, then why go through any of that from a storytelling perspective?

If there's any consolation I can take from this, the real solution was more or less spiritual in nature, and if Korra is pretty much completely fixed so to speak, it'd at least be fun to watch the PTSD nuts throw a fit over such an unrealistic representation.

I think you miss the point. Korra's recovery is not an excuse for filler, but a significamt theme of the Book. Also, her recovery been step by step is how healing works. The writers wanted to make that something we could see onscren, and I'm glad about it. Sure having action is great, but we have previois seasons for that. This one was about Korra's  journey for recovery, and how she has to learn to face her trauma and deal with her issues as she deals with her own health. Not only the writing has gone places were most children's show never go, but at the same time they are showing the real struggles that come with mental illness. People get tired because they are used to see mental disease as a mere excuse for drama not the core of the plot. I formone am glad the writers have taken it to another direction.

I can agree on the humor (usually I kinda like Wu - but this time he really didn't do it for me), but didn't find the dialogue in Korra's conversation with Zaheer bumpy. There's maybe 1-2 lines, and even then I think a different intonation in the voice would've made those lines better, rather than needing to rewrite the line.

I don't see what's wrong with Raava guiding Korra to the others in the spirit world. Vaatu has done that 'travel-while-standing-still' thing too, so I don't see why Raava wouldn't be able to do it either.

I'm on a very interesting postion that I find Wu's "charm" to be insufferable, but I still like the guy overall. Despite everything he seems to have a heart of gold deep down, and he treats Mako well. Why is everyone mad at Wu in this episode when he barely had any lines?

I must say that I absolutely enjoyed this one. I wished its pacing had been slower, but overall I'm glad to see the story progress in a way that truly seems natural. Opal loves Bolin, but she is still understandably mad. Korra regained her connection with Raava. but she will never be the same anymore. Fire Lord Izumi wante to cooperate but it's understandably reluctanct to initiate war. I like how we are getting progress but in small doses. There are not magical solutions, but at the end there is a resolutiom that is closer to be achieved.

I do wonder if Raava's words will prove to be more important. As dar as we have seen, Aang and Korra have been at their weakest in the spirit world. So how will Korra be at her strongest there? Will we actually see her true potential there as the Avatar? I hope so.

But four babies playing a game can make a playworld which licks your real world hollow... I'm on Aslan's side even if there isn't any Aslan to lead it. I'm going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn't any Narnia.

-Puddleglum, The Silver Chair
Water Chief
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Chief of the water tribe

« Reply #187 on: Nov 29, 2014 10:26 pm »

It is kind of ridiculous that no one even tries to make it hard for Zaheer to go into the spirit world though.

I mean, what could they possibly do to stop him?

Block his chi or take away his bending perhaps. Kinda surprised they didn't do that

Hmmm true, but it probably wouldn't make any difference on how he can go into the spirit world. Maybe if they can find someone that knows Unalaq's technique to threaten to dissipate Zaheer's soul they could contain him. Like let one person take guard from wherever that is in the spirit world.
Kovsk
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #188 on: Nov 29, 2014 11:02 pm »

Loved this ep. Probably my favorite from the season alongside 'Korra Alone'.

I like the way they played Zaheer character.
Korra has been handled well too, she is aware that some people in the show don't trust her. Just like real life, where much of the viewers (me included at some point) don't think she is good enough. Hopefully this will change in the finale.

What can I say? This episode was pure gold.
ALTA_FAN
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Yes, I am an Avatar Last the Airbender fan.

« Reply #189 on: Nov 29, 2014 11:11 pm »

I don't know if anyone else noticed, but korra tried to "face" zaheer just like she tried to "face" amon. Both times she tried to conquor her fear of said villain and failed

TishToshTesh
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #190 on: Nov 30, 2014 12:53 am »

I still say Bolin is an idiot.  At least he and I agree on that.  Thing is, I really like the guy.  I just wish he'd grow up and grow a brain.

Thing is, Mako's right, too, in that he was trying to help people.  It's pretty easy to manipulate someone like Bolin.

As for the picnic... that was a dumb move, but I see no malice in Bolin, just desperation and more idiocy.  I *really* wish he'd stood up and argued with Opal, pointing out that it was an opportunity to talk and go from there.  Her bitter snark doesn't help either of them.  Sure, it's a Beifong, *thing*, apparently (that she didn't show evidence of last season), but Bolin, despite the well-intentioned idiot that he is, deserves better, especially given how she called him out on his crap early on last season. 
DoTheDwah
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Get in... I got caaandyyy...

« Reply #191 on: Nov 30, 2014 01:16 am »

As for the picnic... that was a dumb move, but I see no malice in Bolin, just desperation and more idiocy.  I *really* wish he'd stood up and argued with Opal, pointing out that it was an opportunity to talk and go from there.  Her bitter snark doesn't help either of them.  Sure, it's a Beifong, *thing*, apparently (that she didn't show evidence of last season), but Bolin, despite the well-intentioned idiot that he is, deserves better, especially given how she called him out on his crap early on last season. 

I'd be inclined to agree with you, except Bolin apparently felt the need to abuse her trust and lie to her about breaking his legs just so he could chat with her. Yeah, way to make Mako look more respectful to women, buddy. Heck, Vaatu may've tried to bring about 10,000 years of darkness, but even he never pulled crap like that just to score with some dame :|
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #192 on: Nov 30, 2014 01:32 am »

The only thing I thought was wrong with this episode was the comic relief. I'm not one to bash the way the writers portray a certain character, but I can see why people are upset over Bolin's comedy. As mentioned above Wu's place in the meeting was off. But I wish Bolin were a bit mature by now.. I mean, Opal was in the right to be mad at him. Not only did he work for a dictator who captured her family, he decides to have a picnic over it? Meh.

Other than that, this episode was great. The Korra plot was nice and it was finally great to see her mention something to Tenzin about his behavior towards her.

The Korra/Zaheer scene I thought was one of the best scenes from the franchise. For a villain I loved in Zaheer to help the protagonist get better? It's poetic justice. I also thought the dialogue in that scene was spot on, although her getting into the spirit world did feel just a tad bit rushed.

Overall good episode.

« Last Edit: Nov 30, 2014 01:34 am by avatar_eric » Logged

Suyin BAEfong <3
djinn
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Fish genetics is a very small field

« Reply #193 on: Nov 30, 2014 02:34 am »

Ahaha, so good Smiley Not perfect but the better than I feared Korra's healing resolution would turn out. I thought all the characters were pretty good here; I could relate to about all of them. Except Ryu. Dude needs to practice his technique more. And Jinora. What happened to your personality, Jin Jin? You just pop in now for exposition time. Opal is still one of my faves. But bless Korra for her humanity. Girl, I feel ya.

Edit: hmm read through the thread. No thoughts from Icy?
« Last Edit: Nov 30, 2014 03:56 am by djinn » Logged

Hand of Vaatu
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #194 on: Nov 30, 2014 05:47 am »

I'm actually surprised that Bolin wasn't really ever mentioned when Korra, Mako and asami were together. I mean as far as they knew he had permanently stayed with Kuvira and yet everyone seemed fine and content.
Boilinfangirl
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #195 on: Nov 30, 2014 09:54 am »

I'm actually surprised that Bolin wasn't really ever mentioned when Korra, Mako and asami were together. I mean as far as they knew he had permanently stayed with Kuvira and yet everyone seemed fine and content.
I'll be frank with you, I was annoyed that episide was even called Reunion when Bolin wasn't even here. It's not an actual reunion of Team Avatar when one of your main members is missing, wish they had it named another episode title. Matter of fact that hug scene ticked me off too due to that.

Will ship him wit
Rava
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Korrami ♪ TyZula ♬ Kataang ♫ Maiko ♫ Bopal ♪ Sukka

« Reply #196 on: Nov 30, 2014 01:23 pm »

That he wasn't there had its reason. But that the characters not spke about him, not questioned his whereabouts is indeed questionable. Did they all wrote him off as lost cause, lost to Hitler Kuvira?

I'd be inclined to agree with you, except Bolin apparently felt the need to abuse her trust and lie to her about breaking his legs just so he could chat with her. Yeah, way to make Mako look more respectful to women, buddy. Heck, Vaatu may've tried to bring about 10,000 years of darkness, but even he never pulled crap like that just to score with some dame :|

But only because Vaatu is not interested in boys, or girls, aside from pulling all life forms into darkness and chaos.

But I agree, what did that jerk think. Do the writers try to set up Bolin for the loser part, male side relation-ship-wise, so that in comparison Mako could shine more and be better accepted if/when Makorra finally is endgame? Tongue

yours Rava

Keeper of Aang's Vision of Toph - Iroh's Spirit World sight - Toph's badgermole kiss - Lion turtle's chanting ---  Smiley
Quote from: Fishfood1
you're the king of yuri on ASN
Spiritwhisperer
Forum Moderator
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #197 on: Nov 30, 2014 02:30 pm »

That he wasn't there had its reason. But that the characters not spke about him, not questioned his whereabouts is indeed questionable. Did they all wrote him off as lost cause, lost to Hitler Kuvira?

Korra knew where he was: Still in Kuvira's army, working on something important with Bataar. Asami and Mako also knew he was in Kuvira's army.

"In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.”
- Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
Boilinfangirl
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #198 on: Nov 30, 2014 02:40 pm »

I'm sorry, I fail to see what Bolin did this episode cancels out what Mako did the first two seasons. It may not have been a bright idea or right timing for it but at least he good intentions behind it. Mako pretty much cheated in the first season and played with people's feelings in the second. Maybe I missed some thing here. Oh well, guess different opinions on relationships. I don't want to get into it with other people on the situation so I'll stop.

I'm sure they'll make up at the end for good reasons.

Will ship him wit
The Shpee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #199 on: Nov 30, 2014 02:56 pm »

lol this whole Bolin thing is being blown out of proportion. What he did wasn't even that bad
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: