May 25, 2017 11:15 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Episode:
10 - 41 (42.3%)
9 - 27 (27.8%)
8 - 18 (18.6%)
7 - 7 (7.2%)
6 - 2 (2.1%)
5 - 1 (1%)
4 - 1 (1%)
3 - 0 (0%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 97

Pages: next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [409] Beyond the Wilds  (Read 20318 times)
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« on: Nov 19, 2014 08:50 pm »

Release date: 28 November 2014

Summary: When the spirit vines in Republic City begin abducting people, Korra must figure out why.

Discuss!
« Last Edit: Dec 04, 2014 11:19 am by SMBH » Logged

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1 on: Nov 28, 2014 04:38 am »

AWESOME EPISODE. I won't spoil anything for anyone who hasn't seen, but everything that happens is just spot on. However, I feel like korra will finally kick butt again.
The_Xov
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #2 on: Nov 28, 2014 04:55 am »

Interesting stuff.  So Zaheer and Korra team up, Korra is finally able to accept and get past her trauma invoked by Zaheer (Thanks Zaheer), and Korra finally is the one to save Jinora instead of the other way around.  I think the episode was pretty good, and I loved the conversation between Zaheer and Korra.  And yet Zaheer is the...not weakest but weirdest part of this episode.  I guess it's just interesting to see a guy who failed at toppling world governments so willing to help Korra out with taking out the leader of a new empire...But then again, one of his agendas was to free people from cruel dictatorships and monarchs and Kuvira has turned out to be quite the dictator, so it does make sense in that sense...

I dunno.  Maybe I'm just letting a small thing bug me too much.

Anyway, it was pretty good.  Really looking forward to seeing Varrick and Asami team up with their genius minds (also happy to see Asami acquire a pair of metaphorical fangs - as much as I love Varrick as a character, that pressure grab of the guy's wrist was cathartic. lol)

I'd give the ep a solid 7/10.

iKeep: The Airbending Wipeout Obstacle Course from Original Airbenders!
That bastard formerly known as mike50333
Hand of Vaatu
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #3 on: Nov 28, 2014 04:57 am »

All my hopes for a meaningful Bolin arc have been dashed. I am actually annoyed by it. The way he came back didn’t even seem meaningful, nine episodes and that is the reunion? How the hell does someone wearing earth empire apparel even get so close to world leaders before they have hands put on him? Now it’s just waiting for him to help save Opal’s family then take her back as his girlfriend.  Eurgh.

Why the hell is Zaheer helping Korra. Empires rise and fall whereas the Avatar remains forever. You have just aided your greatest enemy and the woman who is essentially why you are going to remain in prison for the rest of your life. The love of your life’s head exploded for the cause of killing the avatar and instead you helped her. Have fun rotting in prison for nothing.

Bolin is good, Zaheer is good, Lets hope Bataar Jr has the balls to go down with the ship rather than him going through some sort of stupid forgiveness thing similar to Bolin.

Goddamn I need some Hiroshi Sato right about now.

*looks at ratings of 10 in mild disgust*
« Last Edit: Nov 28, 2014 05:04 am by Hand of Vaatu » Logged
Gururu
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #4 on: Nov 28, 2014 05:04 am »

I like where SOME of the characters are going.

Bolin/Opal/Lin teaming up to save Suyin and her sons? Cool.

Varrick and Asami teaming up to do research? Awesome.

Mako...going back to guarding Wu? Urgh, seriously I have no idea what the plot is doing with Mako, but he has been criminally underused this far in book 4.

Zaheer helping Korra was a cool moment, though. And it does make sense. Kuvira, the big dictator does stand for everything Zaheer hates and her rise to power is Zaheer's fault.

Is Korra healed, yet? She has been "healed" so many times, I'm not sure if I can trust her being her old self again. Somehow I expected Korra to face the vision of herself for one last time. Hmm.

Overall an entertaining episode. I guess.

You know, it seems like you're so afraid to disappoint anyone, that you end up disappointing everyone.
morbosfist
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #5 on: Nov 28, 2014 05:04 am »

Yay for Korra finally recovering, but also boo because the writers keep bouncing back and forth between causes. First it was nightmares, then Dark Korra, then the nightmares again, then Dark Korra again, and now we're back to the nightmares a third time. I'll be perfectly happy with Dark Korra going completely unresolved if they just stick with this being done and don't drop in Dark Korra for another spanner.

A picnic, Bolin, really? At least he got serious at the end there.

If they're going for Makorra as endgame, this wasn't a strong start. Won't count it out, though. There's still two episodes before the finale.

And the surprise basically everyone saw in advance finally comes true. Zaheer's back and beardy again. It worked, though.

Why the hell is Zaheer helping Korra. Empires rise and fall whereas the Avatar remains forever. You have just aided your greatest enemy and the woman who is essentially why you are going to remain in prison for the rest of your life. The love of your life’s head exploded for the cause of killing the avatar and instead you helped her. Have fun rotting in prison for nothing.
Being a total failure tends to change one's outlook. "Hey, maybe this was a bad idea and got me nothing. Time to try something else."
« Last Edit: Nov 28, 2014 05:07 am by morbosfist » Logged
Robotman
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #6 on: Nov 28, 2014 05:07 am »

Nice episode, anything they produced was going to be an improvement over the clips episode last week. Korra is great, really love her, she cracked me up when she said "You chose him over me?!?", then when they gave a reason why those chose taking Wu intoo the meeting over her she said "again, you chose him over me?!!?" haha...

I liked the episode but there are two complaints I have:

1. I am seriously disliking the lack of action this season, there really isn't much action at all, the fighting is the reason I fell in love with avatar anyways so the lack of it is off putting for me, I really hope that it picks up in the next 4 episodes.

2. The lack of Kuvira, she is the main villain and we are hardly seeing anything of her, they really should have given her more scenes than they have. Hopefully she has alot to say in the next 4 episodes.

HAIL KUVIRA! THE GREAT UNITER!
Gururu
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #7 on: Nov 28, 2014 05:11 am »

If they're going for Makorra as endgame, this wasn't a strong start. Won't count it out, though. There's still two episodes before the finale.

Can we get atleast some Mako? Just let the character do anything this season! Seriously, if he goes back to guarding Wu, I'm gonna explode. At this point I am seriously rooting for the Makorra thing to happen, because it's the only way we'll see him in book 4 in any meaningfull way. -_-

Nice episode, anything they produced was going to be an improvement over the clips episode last week. Korra is great, really love her, she cracked me up when she said "You chose him over me?!?", then when they gave a reason why those chose taking Wu intoo the meeting over her she said "again, you chose him over me?!!?" haha...

Wu is definetly creating some comedic moments with his stupidity. I suppose Bolin's picknick idea was supposed to be cute I guess, but it felt really dumb and out of place, imho. Bolin has shown no tact and Opal had every right to yell at him.
« Last Edit: Nov 28, 2014 05:15 am by Gururu » Logged

You know, it seems like you're so afraid to disappoint anyone, that you end up disappointing everyone.
Hand of Vaatu
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #8 on: Nov 28, 2014 05:12 am »

Being a total failure tends to change one's outlook. "Hey, maybe this was a bad idea and got me nothing. Time to try something else."
But he wasn't a complete failure. He came so close. And even if he was a complete failure, where is changing sides going to get him, definitely not out of prison.
Misty23
Can't Create New Topics
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #9 on: Nov 28, 2014 05:12 am »

No I still really like Bolins character I don't think he was a let down at all...and im sure we will see more serious side of him when they rescue Su Yin.

It made total sense for Korra to face Zaheer and im so glad he finally helped her overcome her trauma..cant qait to see a full family Bei Fong reunion!

And it was so great to finally see and hear from Fire Lord Izumi!!
The_Xov
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #10 on: Nov 28, 2014 05:13 am »

All my hopes for a meaningful Bolin arc have been dashed. I am actually annoyed by it. The way he came back didn’t even seem meaningful, nine episodes and that is the reunion? How the hell does someone wearing earth empire apparel even get so close to world leaders before they have hands put on him? Now it’s just waiting for him to help save Opal’s family then take her back as his girlfriend.  Eurgh.

Bolin is good, Zaheer is good, if Bataar JR goes through some sort of stupid forgiveness thing similar to Bolin then I will be let down entirely.

Not sure about everything else, but I can agree with you about the Bolin thing.  And yeah, security in Republic City SUUUUUUUUUCKS!  Kuvira could take the city no problem!

Anywho, back to Bolin.  The annoying thing, for me, is the fact that the guy seems so emotionally inept.  I mean, did the guy not know about Opal's family getting captured?!  Who on earth would want to go on a picnic when their parents and brothers are locked up in platnum cages?!  Come on, Bolin, looking like Kirito from S*** Art Online, playing paddy-cake with his cousin-sister WHILE ASUNA IS GETTING HER VIRTUAL NOT-VIRGINITY PLASTERED TO A WALL BY A TENTACLE MONSTER!  You should know better than this!

On the plus side, I like how Opal isn't so blinded stupid by love that she forgets about her family for the sake of a chance to pork.

morbosfist
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #11 on: Nov 28, 2014 05:14 am »

But he wasn't a complete failure. He came so close. And even if he was a complete failure, where is changing sides going to get him, definitely not out of prison.
His friends are dead, the Avatar's alive, and his revolution backfired spectacularly. The only way he could be a bigger failure is if he were dead. He's not getting out of prison either way, so if he seriously wants people to be free, he might as well try to fix what he broke by helping Korra. Otherwise he's just a hypocrite.
WarriorMind556
Can't Create New Topics
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #12 on: Nov 28, 2014 05:15 am »

Why was Tonraq and Twins in world leaders meeting? And why didn't Bolin and Kuvira tell them Kuvira is a genocidal madwoman?

And we need more info how the vines work. Why are they not removable? Unalaq can be destroyed but not it? Why are they so powerful? Why is it grabbing people?

I hope the spirit vine kidnapping isn't some plot device for Korra to meet Zaheer and recover. It would be much better Korra simply met Zaheer for the sake of defeating Kuvira.

Zaheer is still dangerous. Couldn't he just contact his Red Lotus lackeys in the Spirit World or exit the Spirit portal as a ghost? Zaheer doesn't have it all that bad. If P'Li is in the Spirit World, Zaheer can be reunited again.

« Last Edit: Nov 28, 2014 05:19 am by WarriorMind556 » Logged
Hand of Vaatu
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #13 on: Nov 28, 2014 05:19 am »

His friends are dead, the Avatar's alive, and his revolution backfired spectacularly. The only way he could be a bigger failure is if he were dead. He's not getting out of prison either way, so if he seriously wants people to be free, he might as well try to fix what he broke by helping Korra. Otherwise he's just a hypocrite.

He brought chaos (one of his original goals), a war is bound to happen.
The_Xov
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #14 on: Nov 28, 2014 05:21 am »

Why was Tonraq and Twins in world leaders meeting? And why didn't Bolin and Kuvira tell them Kuvira is a genocidal madwoman?

And we need more info how the vines work. Why are they not removable? Unalaq can be destroyed but not it? Why are they so powerful? Why is it grabbing people?
If the things weren't kidnapping people and putting them inside spirit-xenomorph pods, I'd assume the vines were just engaging a sort of self-defense mechanism, only not differentiating between threats and non-threats.

If you recall correctly, the mechs were under attack by the vines back at the Tree too.  Only thing still unsure is whether that was from the spirit vines themselves or if waterbenders were bending the vines...

OverlordPie
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #15 on: Nov 28, 2014 05:21 am »

Zaheer always looked cool with the long hair and beard. I never could hate the Red Lotus like I did Unalaq. The RL were just too cool.Plus he was pretty chill this episode.

I'm a bit worried for Bolin. I have this small feeling that they might kill him off. I doubt they will but I don't see  Bolin's story arc ending with just a "oh Bolin you saved my family I love you" from Opal.Something major is going to go down again at Zaofu.  I think he has learned that his actions have consequences but I think he HAS to see the sort of treatment Kuvira gives to the Beifongs before his arc is all said and done.

I'm still a bit annoyed that we never saw how Kuvira recruited Bolin. There should be some type of bond there and there really hasn't been one shown. He has been with her for 3 years. 4 Episodes left. Only thing i'm certain we will get is a Varrick/Zhu Li reunion .

Also what happened to Kai? He's been AWOL since episode 1.
The-Blue-Dragon-Lord
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #16 on: Nov 28, 2014 05:23 am »

Like always, I enjoyed watching it and of course I finally got to see this:

Lovely Fire Lord Hotwoman! Grin

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown" — H.P. Lovecraft
The_Xov
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #17 on: Nov 28, 2014 05:25 am »

I think she's got her aunt's mannerisms in her hands. lol

Goodfella
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

On the Isle of Sanity

« Reply #18 on: Nov 28, 2014 05:26 am »

Lord forbid there be a difference in opinion.

Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised this episode. Pacing has always been a concern in Korra, especially because of how fast things go. However, for this episode, its fast pacing served it well. Korra's been working her way up from what happened to her since 313 and the fact they've been taking her recovery in chunks has been both a relief and enjoyable. I'm not quite sure Dark Korra's completely gone, but I think if Korra sees it at this point she's got the tools she needs to break past it now.

Zaheer being the means to handle Korra was expected but I like that despite one of the themes of the book being about "forgiveness", it did not have Korra forgive Zaheer. In TLA, one of the things I loved was the idea of letting go without needing to forgive when it came to Katara's hatred for her mother's killer. Too many shows push the idea of "everyone can be forgiven" regardless of the hard done or how the injured party feels. It just happened that Korra and Zaheer's interests aligned and Korra acknowledges she's not over what Zaheer did to her but she's able to accept it. That's a fairly mature step in recovering and dealing with someone who hurt you that badly.

Also, Firelord Izumi is fantastic. Not only does better quality shots do her appearance credit but Izumi's compromise of "I won't help you attack pre-emptively BUT I'll help you defend and prepare" shows more wisdom than book 2!Raikou's attempts to stay out of situations entirely.

My respect for Opal grows. I've seen people on tumblr complaining about her being a ***** to Bolin but she only just reunited with her and the hurt is still fresh. It's clear she doesn't HATE Bolin or doesn't want to be with him, especially since her expression softened after hearing what he had to say at the end and the fact she was willing to trust him on a super secret, dangerous mission. However, she got hurt bad and has other things to take care of rather than just being Bolin's love interest.

10/10 for me. Probably one of my favorite episodes this season along with Korra Alone.
« Last Edit: Nov 28, 2014 05:29 am by Goodfella » Logged
Hand of Vaatu
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #19 on: Nov 28, 2014 05:27 am »

All my hopes for a meaningful Bolin arc have been dashed. I am actually annoyed by it. The way he came back didn’t even seem meaningful, nine episodes and that is the reunion? How the hell does someone wearing earth empire apparel even get so close to world leaders before they have hands put on him? Now it’s just waiting for him to help save Opal’s family then take her back as his girlfriend.  Eurgh.

Bolin is good, Zaheer is good, if Bataar JR goes through some sort of stupid forgiveness thing similar to Bolin then I will be let down entirely.

Not sure about everything else, but I can agree with you about the Bolin thing.  And yeah, security in Republic City SUUUUUUUUUCKS!  Kuvira could take the city no problem!

Anywho, back to Bolin.  The annoying thing, for me, is the fact that the guy seems so emotionally inept.  I mean, did the guy not know about Opal's family getting captured?!  Who on earth would want to go on a picnic when their parents and brothers are locked up in platnum cages?!  Come on, Bolin, looking like Kirito from S*** Art Online, playing paddy-cake with his cousin-sister WHILE ASUNA IS GETTING HER VIRTUAL NOT-VIRGINITY PLASTERED TO A WALL BY A TENTACLE MONSTER!  You should know better than this!

On the plus side, I like how Opal isn't so blinded stupid by love that she forgets about her family for the sake of a chance to pork.

I'm talking more about the fact that he was on the bad side at one stage and didn't do a single bad thing. If you're going to put Bolin on the bad side do something with it, make him perform heinous acts and actually believe in the cause, don't have him instantly defect as soon as he thinks Kuvira might be about to attack a city (especially considering he had been on team Kuvira years longer than he had been on team avatar).  I was so hyped for a brother vs brother fight.

There were so many deep storylines the writers could have taken him down but instead decided to keep him on the plain and narrow one.

All praise to the one who felt that I was trying to impede people from giving their opinion. Thank you for sticking up for the rights of our fellow forum goers oh guardian of freedom.
« Last Edit: Nov 28, 2014 05:31 am by Hand of Vaatu » Logged
morbosfist
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #20 on: Nov 28, 2014 05:30 am »

Except without him around to actually finish off his vision, it only resulted in another terrible ruler being installed. That's Zaheer's fault, and he knows it.
The-Blue-Dragon-Lord
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #21 on: Nov 28, 2014 05:31 am »

I think she's got her aunt's mannerisms in her hands. lol

I was thinking that, but more with the eye squinting... She was not impressed with Wu's $#**! xD

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown" — H.P. Lovecraft
Goodfella
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

On the Isle of Sanity

« Reply #22 on: Nov 28, 2014 05:40 am »

All praise to the one who felt that I was trying to impede people from giving their opinion. Thank you for sticking up for the rights of our fellow forum goers oh guardian of freedom.

Thankee se for such praise. It touches the heart, really, for such a title.

Except without him around to actually finish off his vision, it only resulted in another terrible ruler being installed. That's Zaheer's fault, and he knows it.

This is the main thing I took away from Zaheer's motives. What Zaheer wanted was anarchy and freedom to the people. The ideals in anarchy are that the people can sort themselves out without a guiding hand - which was probably what Zaheer was hoping for once the chaos settled down. What happened instead is pretty much the antithesis of Zaheer's beliefs. Korra might be his enemy but she's also his best way to take care of Kuvira.
Hand of Vaatu
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #23 on: Nov 28, 2014 05:42 am »

No its not, he didn't lock himself away, if he was allowed to finish the job he would have. He has just helped out the most powerful of the leaders, the Avatar (the one who has the power to take another leader out and has been shown to if she doesn't agree with how they rule).
Also, I do not think that Zaheer thinks in terms of good and bad leaders.

War and fighting is a part of chaos.
« Last Edit: Nov 28, 2014 06:56 am by Hand of Vaatu » Logged
daventry
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #24 on: Nov 28, 2014 05:42 am »

Just saw the Episode and it was quite descent, so the Firelord was Zuko's Daughter i presume.
Pages: next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: