Mar 24, 2017 02:11 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Episode:
10 - 10 (8.1%)
9 - 5 (4.1%)
8 - 14 (11.4%)
7 - 18 (14.6%)
6 - 24 (19.5%)
5 - 11 (8.9%)
4 - 12 (9.8%)
3 - 9 (7.3%)
2 - 3 (2.4%)
1 - 17 (13.8%)
Total Voters: 123

Pages: « previous page   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [408] Remembrances  (Read 15044 times)
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I can't think of anything clever to say.

« Reply #300 on: Feb 27, 2015 07:49 pm »

I can't imagine that several non-moving drawings would come close to the budget of a regular episode.

Bryke said the budget was cut by nearly an entire episode. They didn't have much of a budget for it to begin with. So while it's true that non-moving drawings wouldn't come close to a normal episode, it was probably still more then they could do.

Also they didn't need to put a clip show in the middle of the season as that disrupts the flow of the storyline, it could have been done at the beginning and then jump right into the story afterwards.

When you rewatch the season, just skip it. Problem solved. Unless you want to see the Varrick part, in which case just fast-forward to that part. Wink

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character." (As said by me)
luvavatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #301 on: Feb 27, 2015 08:33 pm »

I don't know, I think that they could've gone that route with some clips from past episodes in both series playing to really tie the entire story together.

You can't skip an episode in a marathon, no matter how terrible it is you have to go through all of it.
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #302 on: Feb 27, 2015 09:07 pm »

You can't skip an episode in a marathon, no matter how terrible it is you have to go through all of it.

Eh, if you've seen the series enough then I think it's fine if you skip a pointless episode.

I skip The Great Divide all the time. Not every time I watch ATLA but probably half. I can see myself doing the same thing with this episode.

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character." (As said by me)
Spiritwhisperer
Forum Moderator
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #303 on: Feb 27, 2015 09:32 pm »

Would you want to start a season with a clipshow though? At least it was at a point in the season were not much of anything was really happening anyway.

No matter where you place it, or how you create it, an episode made on virtually no budget is not going to be impressive.

Doesn't mean I dislike the idea of using still shots of that style to fill in some gaps. Having a section of Kuvira and Bataar reminiscing of their campaign (airship assault on Ba Sing Se, stuff like that) could have been cool, and explored via dialogue Kuvira's deeper background that her representation in the season alluded to, but never explored.

"In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.”
- Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
luvavatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #304 on: Feb 27, 2015 10:06 pm »

I'd rather put it at the beginning or the very end as a sort of look back, but in the middle it is just disruptive and kind of annoying.
Lunar_Prodigy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #305 on: Feb 27, 2015 10:26 pm »

I'd rather put it at the beginning or the very end as a sort of look back, but in the middle it is just disruptive and kind of annoying.

In the beginning of the season, it can seem like a turn off for the entire season. It would interrupt the important role of developing the plot for the entire season and getting people hooked. And at the end, I would feel like it is just out of place. I would much rather end with the finale and leave everything tied up in a nice little bow. The best place for a clip show would be in the middle when the plot has slowed a bit before things start to build toward the end. That was where it was placed. It can be more easily ignored in the middle.

Keeper of Yue's "You didn't protect me" Sokka's "She's the moon, she flies by herself"
and Wan Shi Tong's understanding of the radio being "tiny men in boxes"
luvavatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #306 on: Feb 27, 2015 10:41 pm »

A pure clip show in the beginning probably wouldn't work, but if done with non-moving pictures as well as clips setting up the characters motivations it could work. As a finale, I don't mean it serving as the "true" finale, but just a quick wrap up and to fill the leftover space, but for all intents and purposes the series is done before then.
Lunar_Prodigy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #307 on: Feb 27, 2015 10:49 pm »

A pure clip show in the beginning probably wouldn't work, but if done with non-moving pictures as well as clips setting up the characters motivations it could work. As a finale, I don't mean it serving as the "true" finale, but just a quick wrap up and to fill the leftover space, but for all intents and purposes the series is done before then.

I am confused about what you are saying for putting it at the end. If you mean that the clip show would come after the finale, then wouldn't it be the finale instead? Putting another episode after the finale, clip show or not, pretty much negates any of the awesome endingness that the finale had. Or at least that is my opinion. I have seen a couple different shows that did that. It does not work at all. Better off leaving it out completely and having one less episode than putting a clip show at the very end. But then we would be without Zombie Amon.

Keeper of Yue's "You didn't protect me" Sokka's "She's the moon, she flies by herself"
luvavatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #308 on: Feb 28, 2015 07:51 pm »

They couldn't leave one episode out as that would've resulted in sending many members of their staff home early without pay. However with such short seasons placing a clip show in the middle just doesn't flow that well. I just think there were other ways it could've been done.
mmoon24
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #309 on: Feb 28, 2015 08:13 pm »

Hm, rather than just one whole clip show...I wonder what would have happened if they used old footage as "flashbacks" so to speak during the entire Book 4? Like when Bolin makes a comment to Mako about Kuvira and Korra being the same, just deviate away a bit to older clips, while Mako and Bolin argue.
Spiritwhisperer
Forum Moderator
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #310 on: Mar 01, 2015 09:40 am »

That'd mean we'd have a clipshow spread across the season. That would be a bit like cutting every episode in the season by 1-2 minutes. Also every episode would need scenes rewritten to fit with clipshow tropes (those types of "remember when.." lines), which just feels painfully cheesy. At least Varrick and Bolin's clipshow segment was creative.

If we need 15-20 minutes of rehashing old stuff, I'd rather have it put in one place so we can get over it in one go.

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Lunar_Prodigy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #311 on: Mar 01, 2015 11:58 am »

That'd mean we'd have a clipshow spread across the season. That would be a bit like cutting every episode in the season by 1-2 minutes. Also every episode would need scenes rewritten to fit with clipshow tropes (those types of "remember when.." lines), which just feels painfully cheesy. At least Varrick and Bolin's clipshow segment was creative.

If we need 15-20 minutes of rehashing old stuff, I'd rather have it put in one place so we can get over it in one go.

Agreed. An entire season of partial clip shows would get really old really fast. What they should have done is have an entire episode worth of Varrick's amazing story.

Ikkin
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #312 on: Mar 01, 2015 11:26 pm »

Agreed. An entire season of partial clip shows would get really old really fast. What they should have done is have an entire episode worth of Varrick's amazing story.

If they were going to do that, I think it'd be best to have it done as an "omake" -- so, after the finale, but not a real part of the show so as not to distract from the actual finale.

Korra Ramblings on Tumblr

Child of the Elements - A look at Korra's childhood with the Order of the White Lotus. (Complete)
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #313 on: Mar 01, 2015 11:40 pm »

Or...they could have cut the episode entirely and used whatever budget they had from it to add more animation detail to the rest of the season. I'm not saying there is a specific scene I had in mind that needed a touch up. I'm just saying the season in general. Turn the already great animation into even greater animation.

Spiritwhisperer
Forum Moderator
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #314 on: Mar 02, 2015 12:18 pm »

Or...they could have cut the episode entirely and used whatever budget they had from it to add more animation detail to the rest of the season. I'm not saying there is a specific scene I had in mind that needed a touch up. I'm just saying the season in general. Turn the already great animation into even greater animation.

They would probably have considered that, but I think they would have been stuck with the contract demanding 13 episodes.

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #315 on: Mar 02, 2015 07:35 pm »

Also, that would simply give work back to the animators. I think the Mike and the Bryan were concerned about spreading work around to the entire crew, including the actors and scripters.

Pages: « previous page   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: