Nov 20, 2017 03:44 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Episode:
10 - 10 (8.1%)
9 - 5 (4.1%)
8 - 14 (11.4%)
7 - 18 (14.6%)
6 - 24 (19.5%)
5 - 11 (8.9%)
4 - 12 (9.8%)
3 - 9 (7.3%)
2 - 3 (2.4%)
1 - 17 (13.8%)
Total Voters: 123

Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [408] Remembrances  (Read 16790 times)
Thane
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #25 on: Nov 21, 2014 04:50 am »

I'm sorry, but while some parts were funny, it still remains a clip show without any real reason, so I can't like it. What surprises me the most is that they ended episode seven with a cliffhanger while this one ends with Varrick being Varrick. Oh well, at least it makes the wait for next week easier, I hope.

The best part of all was when they referred to Unalaq as a boring person nobody liked, and how the villains try to cut him out of the conversation. I take it the criticism of Book 2 has reached their ears.

There is a reason... the budget was slashed and they didn't have enough money for 13 episodes.  They did a heck of a job for being dealt a god awful hand.  

While I'm aware that was most likely the case, I meant making sense from a story perspective. Personally, I'd have preferred not having this clip show made at all, and instead focus whatever money the episode cost on something more beneficial to the season as a whole.
Goodfella
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

On the Isle of Sanity

« Reply #26 on: Nov 21, 2014 04:52 am »

YUCK. Horrid episode.

1. Unalaq was an awesome villain. There is no need to bring him down.
2. As much as they try to sell it there really isn't any need for an Avatar. One person who has power far beyond any bender and gets to determine what is right and wrong is not a concept that many would agree with.
3. OH MY GOD!!! Bryke do not want to even aknowledge that Bolin and Korra were together. There were three times in that episode where it looked like it was coming close to being talked about then NOPE it never even happened.

Positives
1. Vaatu being referred to as a flying kite

I wish at least Mako talked about what happened with Borra, I'm sure Prince Wu would have been like " Well no wonder your brother decided to join Kiriva's side I would have too had you done that to me " But no, guess they didn't feel he didn't need to be punished for that too ><

Oh yes, because a screw up with your sibling and a girl you had a crush on is totally why you'd join a dictator  Roll Eyes.

As for Borra not being mentioned, it wasn't a really big deal in the grand scheme of things? Bolin had a crush on Korra, things got messy, the characters moved past it to the point Bolin told Asami in 109 that while it hurt he'd already gotten over it. It wasn't some deep hurt that Bolin was struggling with or had a giant impact like Eska chasing after Bolin or somthing serious like with Opal.

Considering how much time Masami took up and how THAT had a much bigger impact on Makorra, it makes sense why that would get the reference more than Borra.

Uh, yah I thought it was a boy code not to get with a girl your brother liked and or friend wanted to ask out. Not to mention your brother of all people, so yes I would have liked to have some thing touched upon that but whatever! My opinion I'll stop talking about it, don't want to get into another debate over that.

Let me just say I loved the Bolin / Varrick scenes the best and am curious how far away they are from RC.

Ending on this. Boy code aside (which seriously is not a thing as far as I know. A guy can correct me on it), somehow joining a dictator because of a crush is a tad bit of an overreaction, especially when people moved past it. Hell, Mako and Bolin make up in the same ep. That doesn't exactly seem like a, "I'LL SHOW YOU MAKO! ONE DAY I'M GOING TO JOIN A PSYCHO DICTATOR AND WHEN YOU ASK WHY, I'LL SAY IT WAS BECAUSE YOU KISSED THE GIRL I LIKED!" motive.
Prince Lu Ten
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Brave soldier boy Comes marching home

« Reply #27 on: Nov 21, 2014 04:54 am »

I'm sorry, but while some parts were funny, it still remains a clip show without any real reason, so I can't like it. What surprises me the most is that they ended episode seven with a cliffhanger while this one ends with Varrick being Varrick. Oh well, at least it makes the wait for next week easier, I hope.

The best part of all was when they referred to Unalaq as a boring person nobody liked, and how the villains try to cut him out of the conversation. I take it the criticism of Book 2 has reached their ears.

There is a reason... the budget was slashed and they didn't have enough money for 13 episodes.  They did a heck of a job for being dealt a god awful hand. 

While I'm aware that was most likely the case, I meant making sense from a story perspective. Personally, I'd have preferred not having this clip show made at all, and instead focus whatever money the episode cost on something more beneficial to the season as a whole.

They had a contract to fulfill.  They were REQUIRED to give Nick 13 episodes. They had no other options.

"Sometimes, life is like this dark tunnel. You can't always see the light at the end of the tunnel, but if you just keep moving, you will come to a better place."
- Iroh 2.20, "The Crossroads of Destiny"
Boilinfangirl
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #28 on: Nov 21, 2014 04:59 am »

YUCK. Horrid episode.

1. Unalaq was an awesome villain. There is no need to bring him down.
2. As much as they try to sell it there really isn't any need for an Avatar. One person who has power far beyond any bender and gets to determine what is right and wrong is not a concept that many would agree with.
3. OH MY GOD!!! Bryke do not want to even aknowledge that Bolin and Korra were together. There were three times in that episode where it looked like it was coming close to being talked about then NOPE it never even happened.

Positives
1. Vaatu being referred to as a flying kite

I wish at least Mako talked about what happened with Borra, I'm sure Prince Wu would have been like " Well no wonder your brother decided to join Kiriva's side I would have too had you done that to me " But no, guess they didn't feel he didn't need to be punished for that too ><

Oh yes, because a screw up with your sibling and a girl you had a crush on is totally why you'd join a dictator  Roll Eyes.

As for Borra not being mentioned, it wasn't a really big deal in the grand scheme of things? Bolin had a crush on Korra, things got messy, the characters moved past it to the point Bolin told Asami in 109 that while it hurt he'd already gotten over it. It wasn't some deep hurt that Bolin was struggling with or had a giant impact like Eska chasing after Bolin or somthing serious like with Opal.

Considering how much time Masami took up and how THAT had a much bigger impact on Makorra, it makes sense why that would get the reference more than Borra.

Uh, yah I thought it was a boy code not to get with a girl your brother liked and or friend wanted to ask out. Not to mention your brother of all people, so yes I would have liked to have some thing touched upon that but whatever! My opinion I'll stop talking about it, don't want to get into another debate over that.

Let me just say I loved the Bolin / Varrick scenes the best and am curious how far away they are from RC.

Ending on this. Boy code aside (which seriously is not a thing as far as I know. A guy can correct me on it), somehow joining a dictator because of a crush is a tad bit of an overreaction, especially when people moved past it. Hell, Mako and Bolin make up in the same ep. That doesn't exactly seem like a, "I'LL SHOW YOU MAKO! ONE DAY I'M GOING TO JOIN A PSYCHO DICTATOR AND WHEN YOU ASK WHY, I'LL SAY IT WAS BECAUSE YOU KISSED THE GIRL I LIKED!" motive.
I was watching this bit on MTV on bro codes and am pretty sure that was named as one of them that's fine.

That'd the hilarious part, Bolin would never have joined the dark side due to that and got over pretty quick. This entire episode was to poke fun at the mistakes in the past that coukd have been one of them but it wasn't so, I'm Cool with that.

I just enjoyed few scenes in the episode. I do agree the money for the Animation could have been spent in better episodes but I enjoyed it for the most part.
« Last Edit: Nov 21, 2014 05:01 am by Boilinfangirl » Logged

Banner made by guitarfreak, thank you your the best!
Big Bolin fan already yesXD
Will ship him wit
Thane
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #29 on: Nov 21, 2014 05:02 am »

There is a reason... the budget was slashed and they didn't have enough money for 13 episodes.  They did a heck of a job for being dealt a god awful hand. 

They had a contract to fulfill.  They were REQUIRED to give Nick 13 episodes. They had no other options.

Is that so? I wasn't aware. What a strange company it seems to be.
Spiritwhisperer
Forum Moderator
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #30 on: Nov 21, 2014 05:05 am »

A contract is a contract.

Just like they wouldn't be able to say 'hey we're dropping 7 episodes so we can turn this into a super high animation quality 2-hour movie disguised as a miniseries.'

"In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.”
- Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
Goodfella
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

On the Isle of Sanity

« Reply #31 on: Nov 21, 2014 05:13 am »

Is that so? I wasn't aware. What a strange company it seems to be.

Full details are on Bryan's tumblr but in short, they had a contract for X amount of episodes but then had their budget for book 4 cut. THe alternative would have been to let go of several staff members if they didn't use a clip episode instead.
Spiritwhisperer
Forum Moderator
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #32 on: Nov 21, 2014 05:23 am »

I've seen it now.

VILLAIN CONFERENCE IS THE GREATEST THING EVER

I also love how Varrick described Unalaq as incredibly boring and unpopular. It's vocal fandom opinion just like how they mentioned (and flew over) the great divide in Ember Island Players.

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.”
K o r r a
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #33 on: Nov 21, 2014 05:30 am »

How did a recap episode end up becoming one of my favorite episodes of this season (second to Korra Alone)? Korra's bit was my favorite.

Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #34 on: Nov 21, 2014 05:32 am »

That was pure comedy gold and the four way villain conference was hilarious.

"Just like your grandfather!" lol. Glad they addressed the whole love triangle but I know people will still dislike Mako for what he did in the past.

Adorable chibis and the high five Wu and Tu did across each other's chibi bubbles were cute.

And aww, I thought this was the episode that Varrick talks about his childhood. His imagination was still good though.

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Spiritwhisperer
Forum Moderator
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #35 on: Nov 21, 2014 05:38 am »

I love how they mentioned a lot of stuff people in the fandom went nuts over. ... Like the 'ambiguous Masami breakup' Grin

Hand of Vaatu
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #36 on: Nov 21, 2014 05:42 am »

I thought Unalaq was a good villain, I just wish there was more backstory as to why he was bad. There should have been like some type of sibling rivalry going on between him and Tonraq and something set him over the edge.

What did piss me off about that storyline was how they handled the final battle between UnaVaatu and giant blue Korra. Bryke even said that that the whole thing with Jinora saving Korra wasn't really thought out and was to be left to fan speculation which is just bad writing really. (sorry off topic)

Whoever the person is who voted the episode as a 1 is a legend.
« Last Edit: Nov 21, 2014 08:21 am by Hand of Vaatu » Logged
Robotman
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #37 on: Nov 21, 2014 05:46 am »

I hope to god if Bryke decide to make another series they stay as far away from Nickelodeon as humanly possible. The episode was no Ember Island Players, even if they put in a little clip at the end with Kuvira I would have been happy but meh... Anyways, atleast I had the winter finales of How to get away with Murder and Scandal to watch, they were awesome as hell!!!

HAIL KUVIRA! THE GREAT UNITER!
Gururu
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #38 on: Nov 21, 2014 05:49 am »

Mako's segment felt the longest. I was hoping for some major revelations, but it feels like it sets up the status quo. So everyone will be just friends after 2 books of romance? Ugh, okay...

Korra's segment, despite recaping arguably the most important story parts, was boring. Maybe Asami's blandness starts to effect the characters around her? I would've liked to hear from Tenzin earlier. We haven't seen enough of him lately.

Varricks segment was definetly the highlight. Bolin's spiritform, which was just Korra's body with Bolin's head superimposed over Korra's (the closest we'll ever get to Borra this season, I guess) was a hilarious sight to see.

Still, nothing happens. The twitter jerk was right. 3 maybe 4 for effort. Nickelodeon sucks.
« Last Edit: Nov 21, 2014 07:19 am by Gururu » Logged

You know, it seems like you're so afraid to disappoint anyone, that you end up disappointing everyone.
AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #39 on: Nov 21, 2014 06:11 am »

Varrick carried this episode on his back like a boss. Fairy Queen Jinora and the Terror Square were awesome Cheesy.

Keeper of Suki's firebending ancestry, the Kyoshi Warrior dojo, the love potion made from rainbows and sunsets and the mecha tanks.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
Robotman
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #40 on: Nov 21, 2014 06:25 am »

Not going to lie, I wasn't engaged in this episode at all, infact I wasn't even watching it while it was playing, I did like the Unalaq, Vaatu, Zaheer and Amon convo though, that was nice lol. Is it bad that this episode has kind of put me off this season, like I'm not looking forward to the next episode, this is the first time this has happened to me when watching TLOK... It happened to me alot during some of the filler in ATLA book 3 aswell.

Edit... Some people actually rated this episode a ten... You must be easily pleased :S... Worst episode of the season.
« Last Edit: Nov 21, 2014 06:44 am by Robotman » Logged

HAIL KUVIRA! THE GREAT UNITER!
Rho
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #41 on: Nov 21, 2014 06:35 am »

Full details are on Bryan's tumblr but in short, they had a contract for X amount of episodes but then had their budget for book 4 cut. THe alternative would have been to let go of several staff members if they didn't use a clip episode instead.
I watched the episode before I knew this and unaware of the fact that it was a clips episode. I thought it would be a normal continuation of the previous episode and I was expecting a Toph vs. Kuvira fight for the Swamp (or at least some sort of confrontation between the two). So needless to say I was very disappointed that didn't happen and that it was a clips show. Varricks part had it's funny moments, and it was interesting to see Korra struggle with her place in the world, but I'm having a hard time liking this episode. I barely watched Mako's part, I heard it, and it was nothing new.

However, reading Bryan's tumblr post (thanks for mentioning it!) I understand why they did it and I must admit they did a brilliant job working around the very unexpected and unfair problem they were faced with. In the end we do learn more about the characters, so that's nice.

I love how Varrick completely changes the truth to make a mover ("never let the truth get in the way of a good story"). It's a great lesson for us, because that also happens in our media and it can be seen as a serious warning: don't trust anything you read or hear, try to find out why it was written/said, by whom, and what message that person was trying to bring across.
cycle112
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #42 on: Nov 21, 2014 06:51 am »

Everybody lets look at the episode this way. Yes it was a clip show, however its probably the best one
i've seen. Think back to Friends clip show episodes and see how horrid they are in comparison. My favorite
part was the villains calling each other up, honestly that was possibly the funniest interaction the shows ever had.
Mako's segment was my least favourited just because it didn't cover much, Korra's was good and Varrick's was AMAZING.
So overall an 8/10 for me(best i could have hoped for under the circumstances)
Yangchen
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #43 on: Nov 21, 2014 06:59 am »

I don't read spoilers or follow the background drama. So I wasn't aware that this was going to be clip show. Though I liked the talking chibi heads and thought that Varrick was funny, it still remains a clip show and therefore disappointing storywise. Looking forward to next week.

"Selfless duty calls you to sacrifice your own spiritual needs and do whatever it takes to protect the world."
Gururu
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #44 on: Nov 21, 2014 07:14 am »

Atleast I finally found my Avatar for ASN. Wink

You know, it seems like you're so afraid to disappoint anyone, that you end up disappointing everyone.
fireywaters
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Peace on Avatar, before peace in real life

« Reply #45 on: Nov 21, 2014 07:32 am »

Well the people that did "The Ember Island Players" that took a clip show and made it original and interesting, follow it up with a normal clips show, at least 2 of the 3 acts. Nothing wrong with that, but I always hoping if they did a clip show I wanted to see a mover based on the adventures of Avatar Korra and her friends, and you still have the characters watching themselves which made "Ember Island Players" so entertaining.

This episode is a combo of "The Ember Island Players" with a little bit of "Tales Of Ba Sing Se" thrown in.

Segment 1, for all the Mako haters, this was a way to let it all out though the other characters namely Wu and some of Mako's relatives. I wonder what kind of person Mako's grandfather was. I like how they poke fun at themslves here with all the relationship drama. Prince Wu was hilarious.

Segment 2, basicly just telling us all of Korra success and failures. It was like the old point / counter point, with Asami being pro Korra, while Korra herself was anti Korra. And leave it to Tenzen to settle it. Any Korra and Asami time is always a good thing.

Segment 3, by far the best segment of the episode, it most has the spirit of "Ember Island Players", in which it was telling it's own story. I love all of the past villains talking on the phone. And reminds us thatBolin was also a ladies man to, and unlike Mako he gets away with having multiply love interests, of course the difference is they were not part of the main cast and they were with him at different times of his life (except for Eska and Ginger, but he had a real relationship with Ginger). Poor Unaloq nobody likes you, and Zaheer talking to Amon, that is just a fan dream come true.

For a clip show, it was a great episode, especially the 3rd act, the 3rd act is what gets it a higher score. Also how they acknowledge of fans feedback such as Mako and Asami breakup not being a clear breakup or Unaloq being a boring and unpopular villain.

9 / 10, would have been lower if not for Varrick's creative story telling.

Peace between the Fire Nation and the other nations, before peace in our world
Emile
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #46 on: Nov 21, 2014 07:41 am »

Prince Wu , the Voice of Reason.  It was funny making Wu the one who was a stickler for  what a break up was.
Saturius
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #47 on: Nov 21, 2014 07:51 am »

I liked that the episode was very meta. Other than that, it is what it is.  The Varrick story was the best but I would never rewatch this episode again.  Just ready to get back to the main plot.
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #48 on: Nov 21, 2014 07:58 am »

"The meanest most evil flying kite you have ever seen!"

/dies of too much laughter

Honestly, I liked this episode. Sure, nothing happens, but, it's entertaining and actually real funny. I thought parts of the Mako story were as funny as the Varrick one but of course, not better.

As you guys are pointing out, obviously Korra's was far more serious but I still think it's leading up to her really thinking about what Toph said. If this season's theme is forgiveness, then I feel this extra animosity Korra has towards her past enemies is what's causing her mental issues. Once she lets it flow and drinks banana-onion pudding with the guru, she'll be ok I guess.

Suyin BAEfong <3
Emile
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #49 on: Nov 21, 2014 08:00 am »

I like that they also acknowledged that  the ending of Season 2 didnt really stand up to scrutiny.  "Dont think about it too much, its just a mover"
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: