May 25, 2017 11:20 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Episode:
10 - 10 (8.1%)
9 - 5 (4.1%)
8 - 14 (11.4%)
7 - 18 (14.6%)
6 - 24 (19.5%)
5 - 11 (8.9%)
4 - 12 (9.8%)
3 - 9 (7.3%)
2 - 3 (2.4%)
1 - 17 (13.8%)
Total Voters: 123

Pages: next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [408] Remembrances  (Read 15497 times)
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« on: Nov 15, 2014 08:04 am »

Release date: 21 November 2014

Summary: A look back at Team Avatar's journey; Varrick tells the story of the greatest mover ever made.

Discuss!
« Last Edit: Dec 08, 2014 08:40 am by Icy_Ashford » Logged

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Spiritwhisperer
Forum Moderator
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1 on: Nov 21, 2014 03:05 am »

The episode is released on Amazon. Thread opened.
« Last Edit: Nov 21, 2014 03:08 am by Spiritwhisperer » Logged

"In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.”
- Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
Goodfella
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

On the Isle of Sanity

« Reply #2 on: Nov 21, 2014 03:08 am »

Watching atm. One thing does make me lol already.

Mako: It felt like me and Korra had a real bond.
Wu: And then you smooched her, right Cheesy?
Mako: Ummmm- /cut to Asami.

EDIT:

Dying over Varrick's version. If only more of the recap had been done like this.

EDIT 2:

Done watching. Honestly, the highlight is Varrick's version of the recap. It's close to the style of the Ember Island Players and pokes fun at movie adaptations, making it fairly enjoyable. The Evil Square almost makes me wish it'd actually been a thing with how Varrick talked about it lol.

The other two recaps were a lot less interesting. Mako's mostly feels like it's there to remind the audience of Makorra (and makes it feel more like it's coming back) and to poke fun at fandom reactions to the relationship drama in the first two books. It DOES make me wonder what Mako's grandpa was like though, since Grandma Yin kept likening Mako to him in how he handled things.

Korra's felt a bit superfluous. I feel like it talked about the themes brought up in 404 but in a less interesting way, even if it DID have Asami point out to Korra that Toph's not right in saying that the Avatar's not needed/the world just goes on without her. It mostly felt like it was there to remind Korra and the audience of Korra's accomplishments but Korra's now far enough in her recovery she can actually accept those things rather than dwell on the negatives.

Basically, I think the thing this episode missed the most was a sense of progression, emotional payoff, or sheer enjoyability. With FMA:B, their recap was done in a way that, while it didn't progress the story/was sheer filler, it built on a character and gave emotional payoff to the themes of the series in a touching way. With Ember Island, it was a lot of fun but you also had Aang's feelings of inadequacy and Kaatang issues touched on. I think this ep could have done much better if it had focused on either being sheer fun like Varrick's tale or had focused more on the emotional strengths of the series to bring character development.

6/10 for me, mostly of the quips and Varrick's version.
« Last Edit: Nov 21, 2014 03:37 am by Goodfella » Logged
Solariz
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #3 on: Nov 21, 2014 03:43 am »

It was not as bad as everyone was afraid of. It was actually hilarious at parts. I LOVED everyone yelling at mako for being a mega player xD and Varrik's story was hilariously off lol. Korra's segment was more serious, but it had to be. To have her joking around and shooting the breeze wouldn't make sense at this point.
7.5/10 Wink

Not awful like that Oliver dude tried to make it seem. But that's his opinion.
Prince Lu Ten
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Brave soldier boy Comes marching home

« Reply #4 on: Nov 21, 2014 03:50 am »

Leave it to Bryke to take some incredibly sour lemons and make the funniest most entertaining most awesome glass of lemonade of all time!  The Mako and Korra segments are nice, cute, but nothing to write home about.  However the Varrick segment is by far the funniest thing in thing in the entire franchise, and it isn't even close. Generally ATLA and Korra have the type of humor that makes me smile or chuckle, but never really laugh out loud. Varrick's monologue was an entirely different animal.  I'm pretty sure my eyes were watering from how hard I was laughing.  The conference call with "Four Square" destroyed me.  10/10 if only for Varrick.  It was that funny.  I will be rewatching the Varrick segment for years to come.
« Last Edit: Nov 21, 2014 04:01 am by Prince Lu Ten » Logged

"Sometimes, life is like this dark tunnel. You can't always see the light at the end of the tunnel, but if you just keep moving, you will come to a better place."
- Iroh 2.20, "The Crossroads of Destiny"
Spiritwhisperer
Forum Moderator
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #5 on: Nov 21, 2014 03:52 am »

You guys are making me way too excited for a clipshow

"In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.”
- Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
Prince Lu Ten
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #6 on: Nov 21, 2014 03:56 am »

You guys are making me way too excited for a clipshow

Let's just put it this way. The last segment with Varrick is probably the most creative use of old footage I have ever seen. It's both a clipshow and not a clipshow at the same time.

"Sometimes, life is like this dark tunnel. You can't always see the light at the end of the tunnel, but if you just keep moving, you will come to a better place."
WarriorMind556
Can't Create New Topics
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #7 on: Nov 21, 2014 04:06 am »

Worse episode in Avatar History?

This episode has a subliminal message to the watchers to highlight the love triangle is broken and the Unalaq defeat is not well explained.
« Last Edit: Nov 21, 2014 04:09 am by WarriorMind556 » Logged
Prince Lu Ten
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #8 on: Nov 21, 2014 04:10 am »

Worse episode in Avatar History?

This episode has a subliminal message to the watchers to explain why the love triangle is broken and the Unalaq defeat is not well explained.

Not even close.  The funniest episode and the one of the most entertaining of the series.  It's not a subliminal message, they are openly making fun of themselves..

Solariz
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #9 on: Nov 21, 2014 04:12 am »

The mako segment was funny as well! Korra's was more serious, but it was also the shortest segment. Mako's took up like 10 minutes and 30 seconds while Korra's took up a little over 4 minutes, I think. Varrick's hilariously ended things.

Grandma smacking Mako and comparing his "player" ways to his grandfather, was awesome. I loved that they made fun of the past relationship shenanigans, but Mako's screen time definitely foreshadows some Makorra in the near future.

That conference call between villains was just priceless. I love that Unalaq was the unpopular kid at the cool villains club xD
Prince Lu Ten
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #10 on: Nov 21, 2014 04:16 am »

The mako segment was funny as well! Korra's was more serious, but it was also the shortest segment. Mako's took up like 10 minutes and 30 seconds while Korra's took up a little over 4 minutes, I think. Varrick's hilariously ended things.

Grandma smacking Mako and comparing his "player" ways to his grandfather, was awesome. I loved that they made fun of the past relationship shenanigans, but Mako's screen time definitely foreshadows some Makorra in the near future.

That conference call between villains was just priceless. I love that Unalaq was the unpopular kid at the cool villains club xD

I actually enjoyed all the segments.  The Mako section was definitely funny too, it's just lest memorable than the Varrick rant.  I saw Korra's segment as a tip of the hat to the stereotypical clipshow episodes.  It's super cheesy and really straightforward but it is a great feel good segment to show how far she has come.

Solariz
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #11 on: Nov 21, 2014 04:20 am »

Me too. I went into this episode with low expectations but I'm glad to be pleasantly surprised.
Boilinfangirl
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #12 on: Nov 21, 2014 04:23 am »

So I was right, the Varrick scenes were the high light of the episode, flippin cracking up watching his scenes Cheesy

Mako parts was ok I guess, at least every one was calling him out on his bad behavior from the past seasons, even Prince Wu Tongue

Korra one while important to her character arc bored me to tears. My least favorite of them all.

Over all loved Varrick's the best. If only the entire episode was about his, I'd easly rate it a 10 if it was. How far away do you guy's think Bolin / Varrick are though?

Banner made by guitarfreak, thank you your the best!
Big Bolin fan already yesXD
Will ship him wit
morbosfist
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #13 on: Nov 21, 2014 04:27 am »

Acts 1 and 2 were fairly pointless, though at least Korra's had some usefulness as character building (way too little). Act 3 was worth it.
Hand of Vaatu
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #14 on: Nov 21, 2014 04:28 am »

YUCK. Horrid episode.

1. Unalaq was an awesome villain. There is no need to bring him down.
2. As much as they try to sell it there really isn't any need for an Avatar. One person who has power far beyond any bender and gets to determine what is right and wrong is not a concept that many would agree with.
3. OH MY GOD!!! Bryke do not want to even aknowledge that Bolin and Korra were together. There were three times in that episode where it looked like it was coming close to being talked about then NOPE it never even happened.

Positives
1. Vaatu being referred to as a flying kite
Prince Lu Ten
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #15 on: Nov 21, 2014 04:30 am »

YUCK. Horrid episode.

2. As much as they try to sell it there really isn't any need for an Avatar. One person who has power far beyond any bender and gets to determine what is right and wrong is not a concept that many would agree with.
3. OH MY GOD!!! Bryke do not want to even aknowledge that Bolin and Korra were together. There were three times in that episode where it looked like it was coming close to being talked about then NOPE it never even happened.

Positives

Trollololololololol

Boilinfangirl
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #16 on: Nov 21, 2014 04:33 am »

YUCK. Horrid episode.

Positives

I wish at least Mako talked about what happened with Borra, I'm sure Prince Wu would have been like " Well no wonder your brother decided to join Kiriva's side I would have too had you done that to me " But no, guess they didn't feel he didn't need to be punished for that too ><

Will ship him wit
Storia
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

#dictatorsumade

« Reply #17 on: Nov 21, 2014 04:34 am »

The episode is nice and funny, but Varolin's scene should've been shorter and Korrasami's scene should've been longer Smiley.

Boilinfangirl
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #18 on: Nov 21, 2014 04:39 am »

I'm rating this episode a 9, only cuz Varrick/ Bolin's scenes were pure Gold.
Seriously, the entire episode should have just been about that segment, it would have been more fun Tongue

Will ship him wit
morbosfist
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #19 on: Nov 21, 2014 04:40 am »

It'll pick up from here. That's all that's important.

Korra's segment did breeze by, but I suppose that's a consequence of not having comedy. Mako's ran as long as it did because the others kept cutting in.

Butterfly Jinora was a nice touch.
sokkaboomerang
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #20 on: Nov 21, 2014 04:41 am »

this episode made me
Thane
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #21 on: Nov 21, 2014 04:42 am »

I'm sorry, but while some parts were funny, it still remains a clip show without any real reason, so I can't like it. What surprises me the most is that they ended episode seven with a cliffhanger while this one ends with Varrick being Varrick. Oh well, at least it makes the wait for next week easier, I hope.

The best part of all was when they referred to Unalaq as a boring person nobody liked, and how the villains try to cut him out of the conversation. I take it the criticism of Book 2 has reached their ears.
Goodfella
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

On the Isle of Sanity

« Reply #22 on: Nov 21, 2014 04:43 am »

YUCK. Horrid episode.

Positives

I wish at least Mako talked about what happened with Borra, I'm sure Prince Wu would have been like " Well no wonder your brother decided to join Kiriva's side I would have too had you done that to me " But no, guess they didn't feel he didn't need to be punished for that too ><

Oh yes, because a screw up with your sibling and a girl you had a crush on is totally why you'd join a dictator  Roll Eyes.

As for Borra not being mentioned, it wasn't a really big deal in the grand scheme of things? Bolin had a crush on Korra, things got messy, the characters moved past it to the point Bolin told Asami in 109 that while it hurt he'd already gotten over it. It wasn't some deep hurt that Bolin was struggling with or had a giant impact like Eska chasing after Bolin or somthing serious like with Opal.

Considering how much time Masami took up and how THAT had a much bigger impact on Makorra, it makes sense why that would get the reference more than Borra.
Prince Lu Ten
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #23 on: Nov 21, 2014 04:46 am »

I'm sorry, but while some parts were funny, it still remains a clip show without any real reason, so I can't like it. What surprises me the most is that they ended episode seven with a cliffhanger while this one ends with Varrick being Varrick. Oh well, at least it makes the wait for next week easier, I hope.

The best part of all was when they referred to Unalaq as a boring person nobody liked, and how the villains try to cut him out of the conversation. I take it the criticism of Book 2 has reached their ears.

There is a reason... the budget was slashed and they didn't have enough money for 13 episodes.  They did a heck of a job for being dealt a god awful hand. 

Boilinfangirl
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #24 on: Nov 21, 2014 04:48 am »

YUCK. Horrid episode.

Positives

Oh yes, because a screw up with your sibling and a girl you had a crush on is totally why you'd join a dictator  Roll Eyes.

As for Borra not being mentioned, it wasn't a really big deal in the grand scheme of things? Bolin had a crush on Korra, things got messy, the characters moved past it to the point Bolin told Asami in 109 that while it hurt he'd already gotten over it. It wasn't some deep hurt that Bolin was struggling with or had a giant impact like Eska chasing after Bolin or somthing serious like with Opal.

Considering how much time Masami took up and how THAT had a much bigger impact on Makorra, it makes sense why that would get the reference more than Borra.

Uh, yah I thought it was a boy code not to get with a girl your brother liked and or friend wanted to ask out. Not to mention your brother of all people, so yes I would have liked to have some thing touched upon that but whatever! My opinion I'll stop talking about it, don't want to get into another debate over that.

Let me just say I loved the Bolin / Varrick scenes the best and am curious how far away they are from RC.

Will ship him wit
Pages: next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: