Nov 18, 2017 05:28 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Episode:
10 - 38 (40.9%)
9 - 29 (31.2%)
8 - 17 (18.3%)
7 - 4 (4.3%)
6 - 2 (2.2%)
5 - 1 (1.1%)
4 - 0 (0%)
3 - 0 (0%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 2 (2.2%)
Total Voters: 93

Pages: « previous page   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [407] Reunion  (Read 25113 times)
TheGrandSage23
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #250 on: Nov 17, 2014 01:48 pm »

Still feels weird for her
« Last Edit: Nov 17, 2014 02:04 pm by TheGrandSage23 » Logged
insertname
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #251 on: Nov 17, 2014 02:56 pm »

Right--imprisoning "troublesome" minorities is actually a pretty standard dictatorial action, and frankly, Suvira is definitely not going full-Hitler here.  Personally I doubt that explicit racism is the motivation, so much as Kuvira's ever growing need for control...

The US imprisoned about a hundred thousand people of Japanese origin in internment camps during WW2, because of fears for a potential 'fifth column' and espionage activity. I'd say Kuvira's internment of non-Earth Kingdom origin citizens is closer to that, than to actual ethnic cleansing.

I would like that, and it would fit with her character. The issue with this is that the prisoners said was purging the Earth Kingdom of non-Earth benders. That choice of word does suggest ethnic cleansing imo. It's possible that Kuvira does this because of paranoia - but I think the writers would then have chosen another word. I do think they are going to portray Kuvira as a national extremes, and imo, we haven't seen much of her that would suggest this fits with her character...
WarriorMind556
Can't Create New Topics
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #252 on: Nov 17, 2014 04:48 pm »

Right--imprisoning "troublesome" minorities is actually a pretty standard dictatorial action, and frankly, Suvira is definitely not going full-Hitler here.  Personally I doubt that explicit racism is the motivation, so much as Kuvira's ever growing need for control...

The US imprisoned about a hundred thousand people of Japanese origin in internment camps during WW2, because of fears for a potential 'fifth column' and espionage activity. I'd say Kuvira's internment of non-Earth Kingdom origin citizens is closer to that, than to actual ethnic cleansing.
The problem is the EE is not at war with anyone....
ThaiOzai
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #253 on: Nov 17, 2014 05:40 pm »

Not technically, but the threat of war on all sides it pretty clear. Nobody recognizes Kuvira as the legitimate ruler of the Earth Kingdom.
WarriorMind556
Can't Create New Topics
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #254 on: Nov 17, 2014 05:47 pm »

Not technically, but the threat of war on all sides it pretty clear. Nobody recognizes Kuvira as the legitimate ruler of the Earth Kingdom.
US interment camps were temporary. "Purges" usually mean permanant cleansing.
Sannom
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #255 on: Nov 17, 2014 07:19 pm »

^Hah! You're right. Stalin seems to be very underated around here because he too did all those things except that he was on the left side of the political spectrum (Communism. Hitler was on the right side with facism).
I think Hitler is more infamous because of the death camps and the World War thing, but when you start reading up on Stalin you get the impression that Hitler was downright amateurish compared to the Russian. Rewriting of the past on a ten-years basis, genocide through famine, gulags, the way he came to power... nasty stuff!

I had never noticed before this episode just how tall Asami is, when she met with Korra there was a pretty clear height difference that didn't seem as apparent in other episodes. Maybe it happened over the 3 year timeskip?
Oh no, she was always tall. Only Mako was taller than her amongst the teenagers, and although the height difference with Bolin was always a tad hard to make up for sure, she more often than not appeared taller than him.
Suz
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #256 on: Nov 17, 2014 08:34 pm »

Why does Bolin have to be so nice. Why can't he be turning those escaped prisoners over to Kuvira and still be in her inner circle Sad
Piff, you want him to remain evil? Why? She's been doing so much damage to people around her, if they don't listen to her it's off with there heads. I'd be more dissapointed if he stayed by her side after seeing all that. Besides his relationship with Varrick is fun Cheesy

He's becoming a really powerful bender though, wonder what leagues he'd be in.

I want a tragic ending so bad. I want him to fall so hard (figuratively of course). I've stated before that I feel that throughout the entirety of this series Bolin has been overlooked by everyone. He has really been treated like the child in the group, while the grownups, Korra, Mako and Asami talk about grown up stuff. He has never been shown appreciation in the way the other characters have to each other.

So in conclusion I want an evil, tragic Bolin along with a side dish of lava pit of Doom.

Bolin going evil is as likely as a Book 5.  However, Kuvira and BJ could declare him dead.  THAT would be tragic.
johnf12
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #257 on: Nov 17, 2014 10:12 pm »

Right--imprisoning "troublesome" minorities is actually a pretty standard dictatorial action, and frankly, Suvira is definitely not going full-Hitler here.  Personally I doubt that explicit racism is the motivation, so much as Kuvira's ever growing need for control...

You don't even wanna know the screwed up stuff the US government is doing behind the scenes these days. What Kuvira is doing is pretty f'd up, but it is really nothing special when compared to what all the modern governments are doing this day. Our world isn't exactly good shape, unless you simply go off what you hear on the news, which is nothing more but a propaganda machine that tells what the gubermint wants you to hear.
Yougo
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Respect the Screaming bird!

« Reply #258 on: Nov 18, 2014 02:40 am »

^korra got it easy, really. if her world were more like ours, while she was busy dealing with Kuvira, the Fire nation finished their work on their nuclear WMD program, the UR is enforcing their oil monopoly by straining oil supply to both Ba Sing Se and the NWT, religious fanatics movements are refusing to let medical convoys through to their occupied city of Omashu, increasing the risk of a world wide pandemic of pentapox, NWT conservatives are trying to segregate and take a large piece of NWT territory with them to create a nation where women can be oppressed the good old fasioned way, and the list goes on and on...

at least we don't have giant dark avatars stomping around our cities, trying to dip the world into 10000 years of chaos...

keeper of: the Screaming bird's horrible shreak; The Bendig Mark.
ahintoflime
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #259 on: Nov 18, 2014 10:48 am »

at least we don't have giant dark avatars stomping around our cities, trying to dip the world into 10000 years of chaos...

A Dark Avatar would give mankind a common enemy to engage against other than himself; one that we could stand together against and bond with over our struggles. We could do well with a third party wanting to send us to oblivion. That would be a good thing, I believe.

Though if it could only be purged by spirit technique our world be up a creek without a paddle.
luvavatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #260 on: Nov 18, 2014 12:58 pm »

Have a few dozen or over one hundred waterbenders simultaneously doing the technique on him, that could work.
ahintoflime
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #261 on: Nov 18, 2014 05:20 pm »

Have a few dozen or over one hundred waterbenders simultaneously doing the technique on him, that could work.
Yougo was saying if Spirit Satan showed up in our world. Sure we could nuke it, and whatever nearby place it was in. Or use other types of ordinance. But if it would just reform and have its unlimited energy beams and control over lesser demons/spirits, then we'd need that-which-our-world-would-not-have -> spirit techniques.
djinn
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Fish genetics is a very small field

« Reply #262 on: Nov 24, 2014 08:16 pm »

I had a friend come over on the weekend and she wanted to watch Korra. She had seen some already but she hasn't watched it in a while so we started from the beginning.

The comparison came to me that Korra has gone from someone very gung-ho to someone that took a minute to assess and strategise.

My baby's growing up ;_;

JuDee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

^Credit to INTJf

« Reply #263 on: Nov 28, 2014 03:32 am »

^korra got it easy, really. if her world were more like ours, while she was busy dealing with Kuvira, the Fire nation finished their work on their nuclear WMD program, the UR is enforcing their oil monopoly by straining oil supply to both Ba Sing Se and the NWT, religious fanatics movements are refusing to let medical convoys through to their occupied city of Omashu, increasing the risk of a world wide pandemic of pentapox, NWT conservatives are trying to segregate and take a large piece of NWT territory with them to create a nation where women can be oppressed the good old fasioned way, and the list goes on and on...

I'd totally watch this version of Korra.

And gotta agree that I don't know what Kuvira's going to be anymore.

Keeps : Female Air Nomad's robe, Aang's Fire Nation school outfit, Joo Dee's official tour guide robe and The Day of Black Sun.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #264 on: Dec 05, 2014 04:52 pm »

This was a pretty solid filler episode. Good action, and I liked the sense of humor. I was disappointed at the time with how perfunctory the reunion was between Korra, Mako, and Asami; they acted more like Korra had been gone for a summer, not three years. At the time, I hoped that something more would be made of how brief their original time together really was, but nope, it's just been the same old Team Avatar since then. I see that most people have the opposite of my reaction, that they found the conflicts that did spring up to be forced, but I thought it didn't go far enough. I didn't need everyone outright fighting, but some acknowledge that they no longer really know each other would have been nice.

Still, I think this is my favorite Wu episode. Varrick continues to thrill me in every way, and Bolin got some good moments to show his empathy for others. It's really great to see Bolin's development go this way, considering how his Book Spirits plotline didn't do anything to address his selfishness, there. Bolin is really the character who's been best served by Book Balance.

Loved that moment. Cheesy

Pages: « previous page   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: