Nov 24, 2017 01:29 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Episode:
10 - 38 (40.9%)
9 - 29 (31.2%)
8 - 17 (18.3%)
7 - 4 (4.3%)
6 - 2 (2.2%)
5 - 1 (1.1%)
4 - 0 (0%)
3 - 0 (0%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 2 (2.2%)
Total Voters: 93

Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [407] Reunion  (Read 25172 times)
Zomg_Airbenders
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #225 on: Nov 15, 2014 08:54 pm »

Mako might have gone up a pay grade, but that doesn't make it any less frustrating for him to go from a career that he seemed to find rewarding and enjoyable (remember how enthusiastic he sounded in his letter to Korra?) to one that made him wanted to tear his hair out.  Mako's the sort of guy who needs to be out there in the thick of it; he'd never be happy as a guard, even a well-compensated one.
He doesn't seem to be economically ambitious. Not after he and his brother found stability with jobs. Mako's just those type of people who places Happiness over Prestige. You can be an honorable bodyguard making a hefty salary but you still wouldn't feel satisfied or self-actualized. I think he gets that when he's doing detective work. That's clearly where he likes to be. Mako's happiness is with his Detective Work.

MakoxDetective Job. That's my OTP. lol. jk. He's just taking his anger out on Korra and Asami because he's venting. In the same way family members take their job frustrations out on their their family. Leave your work problems at work Mako. But since its so intertwined with his life, he has nowhere or no one to vent to.

I got an James Cameron "Avatar" feel when Kuvira ordered the tree to be cut down.

I think that Kuvira's actions will prompt the spirits to start attacking humans again.
I did too. It was so eerily similar.

Indeed...
And we know how that ended in James Cameron "Avatar", so I wonder what kind of Backslash Kuvira and her troops will get...

The forest will fight back! It seemed like a possibility in ATLA. The gaang did mention that the Swamp seemed to be "Alive." It'd be cool if Kuvira was attacked by some spirit vines.
luvavatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #226 on: Nov 15, 2014 10:09 pm »

Actually Wu IS responsible for Mako still staying on as his bodyguard. He personally requested that Mako serve as his bodyguard and Mako was pretty much forced into doing so.
Kovsk
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #227 on: Nov 15, 2014 10:10 pm »

Toph vs Kuvira is going down next week. CANNOT WAIT!!!

Man, if Toph losses i'll be pissed. I wanna see her showing Kuvira whats an earthbending master.

Best episode of the season so far.
ZippyLittleRat
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #228 on: Nov 15, 2014 11:38 pm »

its funny how this is like the avatar movie now Cheesy lol kill the giant tree

"Oh no! They're attacking Hometree!" was my first thought, followed quickly by a gasp.

Even with the (rather strong) parallel to the (other) Avatar story, man did this episode rock. I waited 7 episodes for Korra to reunite with Mako and Asami, and even though I would've liked more dialogue with them--okay, I would have been happy with 22 minutes of nothing but them talking--the episode didn't disappoint in the slightest. Asami's snapping at Korra, the three semi-awkwardly resuming their duties but still meshing really well, heck, even the Wu-wooing was well-played.

Varrick is sexy with a day's stubble. Dang. What an amazing job with that story arch--every single bit of it.

I got it! My spit-wad's on your neck.
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #229 on: Nov 16, 2014 02:49 am »

Mako: Take this guy in for booking. Charge him with kidnapping. And tell Chief Bei Fong that Prince Wu is missing. Put out an all points bulletin. We'll keep looking.

Anyone laughed at how everything rhymed? I sure did.

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
mmoon24
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #230 on: Nov 16, 2014 01:25 pm »

Looks like Mako just found a new career.
zukataang
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #231 on: Nov 16, 2014 02:39 pm »

Just saw this episode!

Bumi lost his beer belly!

"On that hunk of junk? No ho ho thanks. I'm allergic to drawning."

Oh, Varrick. xD

The Bolin/Varrick moments were great as usual. I enjoy seeing Bolin be the reasonable guy when he's usually the silly one. And Varrick  beating himself up over being a bad person and losing Zhu Li was interesting. These episodes keep making me more eager and eager for that Zhu Lick reunion!

Bolin lavabending was awesome. Innocent, adorable Bolin and powerful, lethal lava. It's an interesting combination. It gives Bolin a more serious edge that I like.

The girl rebel's hairstyle was so convoluted. Like, what? Either you keep the hair loopies and put all the rest of the hair in a ponytail or you leave some hair out of the ponytail, but you don't have hair loopies, you don't do both at the same time.

Korra’s new look I did however like. I wasn’t sure that I would love it as much when I saw photos of her, but it has grown on me and people just tend to look better in motion than on stills so there’s that. I’m happy with the hair and I adore the outfit.

Asami was very snappy about her dad. That was very unlike her. I get that she would be defensive on the subject, but I expected more of a passive aggressive approach from her over a full-blown outburst. That felt a little forced.

I’m usually not a fan of toilet humor, but Mako’s unwillingness to talk about the way he guards Wu during his bathroom breaks had me lol. His awkwardness in general makes me laugh.

I also loved this:

Wu: “I’m not going out there!”
Korra: ಠ_ಠ *bends him through the ceiling*

Cheesy

And the convo about Toph and how she's crankier than Lin was funny too.

The krew's reunion in general was just handled really well I think. They'll never be as much of an endearing family as the gaang was, but they're still a group of friends with a unique dynamic that is interesting to watch too.

I particularly liked the Makorra arguments and the way Mako was hurt by the fact that Korra didn't keep in touch. Shows how much he cares about her. I would have liked Mako not brushing it off so easily. It would also have been nice if Mako showed subtle signs of jealousy when Wu hit on Korra. Yeah, I'm a Makorrian.

Poor Wu! How inconsiderate of Korra to keep him out of the group hug. Wu is kind of a douche, but it's not like he's doing it on purpose. =(

It was hilarious how cold she was towards him the whole time though, especially that moment where Wu asks her to unleash her murderkiller avatar powers just so that he can see her eyes glow. Cheesy That man is the embodiment of clueless.

I didn't expect Korra to be able to use her spirit vine powers everywhere at will now. I'd assumed that the swamp was a particularly spiritual place and the tracking abilities were limited to it. Guess I was wrong. It makes me feel like Korra's a little overpowered, but hey if the writers are able to sustain the intrigue even after making our protagonists so incredibly bad@ss, more power to them.

I can't believe it never even occurred to me that Kuvira would go after the swamp for her spirit vine weapon. Of course she would. Can't wait to see Granny Toph go

"Oh no she di-n't just attack my home".

There's no way Kuvira will not lose a match against Toph unless she finds a clever way out of it.

The ethnic cleansing fits Kuvira's nationalistic ideals, but it was still a pretty big surprise. I mean she's shown that she wanted the Earth Kingdom to grow strong, but she never, at any point, behaved in a racist way so that felt a little out of the blue.
It feels like the writers really wanted her to be evil, so they made her evil in ways that aren't always consistent with her character. That's too bad.

I expected that we'd see a lot more of the Fire Nation this season, it's the only place we haven't been (or barely), but apparently that's not happening either? I'm disappointed. Well, it doesn't have to be in this episode, but I hope we see more of it in the future.

Kai is also still oddly absent. Jinora didn't even ask about him. Weird.

Other than that, there's not much to say. Great fighting. Great humor. Great episode.
zukataang
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #232 on: Nov 16, 2014 02:44 pm »

Oh! Did he say that Korra’s turtleneck is available too? And those blue gloves? I want the blue gloves. =O

Mako: Take this guy in for booking. Charge him with kidnapping. And tell Chief Bei Fong that Prince Wu is missing. Put out an all points bulletin. We'll keep looking.

Hey, I didn’t notice it when I heard it for the first time. Lol.
« Last Edit: Nov 17, 2014 02:31 am by zukataang » Logged
Katara_waterbender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

The water tribe rules!

« Reply #233 on: Nov 16, 2014 04:17 pm »

I liked this episode.  I liked how Team Avatar had to readjust to being together again.  I also liked the reunion scene between Korra and naga and the one between Korra and Tenzin.  I was very disappointed that we didn't get one between Korra and her father.  Hopefully in the next episode or so.

"You're going to get through this. I love you so much." Senna
fireywaters
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Peace on Avatar, before peace in real life

« Reply #234 on: Nov 16, 2014 04:28 pm »

Okay Sargent take her away and book her.

Sargent Takeheraway, sargent Bookher.

Peace between the Fire Nation and the other nations, before peace in our world
BlackPanther1012
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #235 on: Nov 16, 2014 04:46 pm »

This episode was a lot of fun.

What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.
--Philipians 4:9
ALTA_FAN
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Yes, I am an Avatar Last the Airbender fan.

« Reply #236 on: Nov 16, 2014 05:49 pm »

I've been hearing some stuff about asami's "rant"/thing sounding forced... Am I the only one that just sort of skims over those things? Like, I knew what they were getting at and in my mind I just thought, " okay, asami is hurt/confused/frustrated. Moving on then"

Ewing46
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #237 on: Nov 16, 2014 06:46 pm »

I had never noticed before this episode just how tall Asami is, when she met with Korra there was a pretty clear height difference that didn't seem as apparent in other episodes. Maybe it happened over the 3 year timeskip?

Overall I liked this episode, in particular the Bolin/Varrick escape and it should be interesting to see where those two characters end up.
DJSmallz
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Handsome & Wealthy

« Reply #238 on: Nov 16, 2014 06:47 pm »

I had never noticed before this episode just how tall Asami is, when she met with Korra there was a pretty clear height difference that didn't seem as apparent in other episodes. Maybe it happened over the 3 year timeskip?

Overall I liked this episode, in particular the Bolin/Varrick escape and it should be interesting to see where those two characters end up.

I think I've seen fan art of Asami poking fun at Korra for being shorter than her prior, so she was definitely taller pre-timeskip.

Let's have a money shower tonight!
SpiritWatcher
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Tank-kun

« Reply #239 on: Nov 16, 2014 06:48 pm »

^Yes, korra did grow. Bryke confirmed this at NYCC.

I am a spirit. An adrift soul ever strayed. Heaven lost I watch.

Keeper of the Avatarverse scientific units Varricks (for energy I guess) and Zhu
ahintoflime
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #240 on: Nov 16, 2014 06:59 pm »

Kuvira's getting worse in terms of character.
I thought she was supposed to be a mirror of Korra. Then she went Sozin. And now she's all over the place.

Perhaps it is daddy issues?
DJSmallz
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Handsome & Wealthy

« Reply #241 on: Nov 16, 2014 07:07 pm »

Kuvira's getting worse in terms of character.
I thought she was supposed to be a mirror of Korra. Then she went Sozin. And now she's all over the place.

Perhaps it is daddy issues?

I'm hesitant as to where they're leading her character, but all I can say?

"Believe in Bryke"

They won't let us down. I know it!

Let's have a money shower tonight!
ahintoflime
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #242 on: Nov 16, 2014 08:44 pm »

^
Skeptical.

They're still ragging on Korra endlessly. She's the one apologizing here and there ever since Book 1 while others are immune to faults. I don't see how if they decide to drag things out to the 11th hour that any good can come from it.
Funkybender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #243 on: Nov 17, 2014 01:22 am »

The good: Krew reunion, blushing Korra, high-stakes car chases, and more Bolin/Varrick!

The not-so-good: I'm really ambivalent about where they're going with the whole "lock up water and firebenders" thing. If they want to maintain the image of Kuvira being an extremist version of Korra yet still cast her in a human light, I don't know how much further they can go without making her out to be Ozai. The theory that her paranoia has led her to suspect fire and waterbenders as foreign spies makes sense, but I think that will be totally ignored by the show itself.
Solitude
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Shaped by fire and ice.

« Reply #244 on: Nov 17, 2014 03:47 am »

Just finished watching the episode!

Finally, a reunion! It was quite tense to watch them get on each others' nerves when they met. I think Asami is going to find some help through her dad towards the final battle.

I was actually happy and surprised by the amount of action we have in this episode. I honestly thought we'd get the RC fight scenes in the next episode or so. Good thing, we got it earlier. Korra, Mako, and Asami definitely pawned some Kuvira supporters right there!

Varrick and Bolin escaping! Wow, his lava bending has definitely improved! I think we'll be seeing more of those other escapees.

Wow, not only did Kuvira go into Sozin... she went Hitler all the way! I didn't expect her to be imprisoning non-earthbenders. Talk about ethnic cleansing. I was scared for Kuvira when they were infiltrating the swamp. I thought Toph was gonna appear and pound her butt. Lol.

I'm gonna miss Wu, but I'm somehow glad he gets to take the backseat for now. He seems fun, but he was getting a bit annoying already.

Gahh, looks like Korra is gonna visit that "prison" next episode!

ALTA_FAN
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Yes, I am an Avatar Last the Airbender fan.

« Reply #245 on: Nov 17, 2014 08:45 am »

Wow, not only did Kuvira go into Sozin... she went Hitler all the way!

Stalin: "Hey! I imprisoned people too! I was a cleanser! I cleansed everybody! Several times! Guys? Guys?"

Fire Rose
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #246 on: Nov 17, 2014 09:14 am »

^Hah! You're right. Stalin seems to be very underated around here because he too did all those things except that he was on the left side of the political spectrum (Communism. Hitler was on the right side with facism).

With LOK being about tradition vs change I think there's a possibility that we may be wrong about Kuvira being a fascist. She could very represent communism on an extreme level. 
Yougo
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Respect the Screaming bird!

« Reply #247 on: Nov 17, 2014 09:56 am »

Well she did call it the earth empire, not the peoples republic of earth... She's going for totalitarian regime, I think. Part of me wants to see her succeed. All hail Empress Kuvira, Great Uniter, Wielder of the Vines!

keeper of: the Screaming bird's horrible shreak; The Bendig Mark.
Space Oddity
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #248 on: Nov 17, 2014 01:31 pm »

Right--imprisoning "troublesome" minorities is actually a pretty standard dictatorial action, and frankly, Suvira is definitely not going full-Hitler here.  Personally I doubt that explicit racism is the motivation, so much as Kuvira's ever growing need for control...
Spiritwhisperer
Forum Moderator
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #249 on: Nov 17, 2014 01:47 pm »

Right--imprisoning "troublesome" minorities is actually a pretty standard dictatorial action, and frankly, Suvira is definitely not going full-Hitler here.  Personally I doubt that explicit racism is the motivation, so much as Kuvira's ever growing need for control...

The US imprisoned about a hundred thousand people of Japanese origin in internment camps during WW2, because of fears for a potential 'fifth column' and espionage activity. I'd say Kuvira's internment of non-Earth Kingdom origin citizens is closer to that, than to actual ethnic cleansing.

"In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.”
- Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: