Jun 20, 2019 01:33 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Episode:
10 - 38 (40.9%)
9 - 29 (31.2%)
8 - 17 (18.3%)
7 - 4 (4.3%)
6 - 2 (2.2%)
5 - 1 (1.1%)
4 - 0 (0%)
3 - 0 (0%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 2 (2.2%)
Total Voters: 93

Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [407] Reunion  (Read 40785 times)
Storia
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

#dictatorsumade

« Reply #75 on: Nov 14, 2014 10:46 am »

The border guards looked absolutely like metalbenders and they can open the metal gates, but no metal cabels and bars on battle?

If the guards used metalbending i bet Bolin, Varrick, and the prisoners would be defeated quickly, but it's not happening, why?

TheGrandSage23
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #76 on: Nov 14, 2014 10:49 am »

I'm really glad Bryke decided for Kuvira to go to the swamp instead of boring Republic City.. Kuvira has gone overboard and like old Korra she needs to be taken down a notch... It will be good for both Kuvira and Baatar to get spankings from Grandma Toph..There is literally no way for her to twist the situation in the the which favors her of appearing as the benevolent ruler...like I stated if Toph doesn't get them the spirits will.. This situation will/should show the bad results of Kuvira's actions. She's doing a heinous act in regards of the spirits and I'm getting Zhao flashbacks.. It's not going to end well for her.. And it shouldn't because there's consequences for every action you take.. Zhao found that out the hard way
Ravenous215
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #77 on: Nov 14, 2014 10:57 am »

This episode had some of the best character development through dialogue. The dynamic of Asami, Mako, and Korra felt so much better all around, and I hope they keep at it. One thing I'm disappointed in though, is how the Kuvira situation is becoming too predictable. It was cool when she was morally ambiguous, but now she is becoming straight up Nazi.

Lastly, I hope this friendship dynamic continues with Korra and Mako. I would rather see them end the show with them as close friends then as forced lovers.
luvavatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #78 on: Nov 14, 2014 11:05 am »

I guess this episode establishes that Kuvira is genre savvy. I mean she had two wanted posters of Bolin and Varrick put out after being told they died. However since they never found their bodies, I guess she covered her bases on the chance that Baatar Jr. would be wrong.

Also the firebender and waterbender that Bolin interacts look somewhat similar to Mako and Korra pre book 4. I'm betting that was intentional and pretty interesting since he didn't get to reunite with them in this episode. However they were missing an Asami expy.
« Last Edit: Nov 14, 2014 11:09 am by luvavatar » Logged
TheGrandSage23
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #79 on: Nov 14, 2014 11:14 am »

This episode had some of the best character development through dialogue. The dynamic of Asami, Mako, and Korra felt so much better all around, and I hope they keep at it. One thing I'm disappointed in though, is how the Kuvira situation is becoming too predictable. It was cool when she was morally ambiguous, but now she is becoming straight up Nazi.

Lastly, I hope this friendship dynamic continues with Korra and Mako. I would rather see them end the show with them as close friends then as forced lovers.

Couldn't careless about unpredictability as long as the subject is well executed... Ethics cleansing situation however isn't both

So let’s address the ethnic cleansing.
It doesn’t really seem in character for Kuvira. Now, there’s a historical precedent for it, fascism is fond of the whole scapegoat thing. But in this situation? I don’t know… It really messes with the Korra parallels, and there was never any indication of her having those kind of views. Not to mention it’s political suicide. If word ever got out about it, it would be just the excuse the world was looking for. She seems too politically savvy to even considering doing something like this.

It seems completely out of character for Kuvira to do this
Javisbc
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #80 on: Nov 14, 2014 11:16 am »

Great episode overall. Hitting all the right marks, except that prince who is horribly annoying, at least they ditch him for now. I wonder what shipping we will end up with, Mako, Asami, someone else. anyone? She blushes with Asami and bickers with Mako, it seems the writers are doing it on purpose and im inclining to an open romantic ending, just let the audience imagine were it will go in the end. But overall its a great episode, we have so few to go already till the end. The last 2 or  3 will be one giant episode. I think the series will end before Christmas time, the 19 or 12th of December tops
luvavatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #81 on: Nov 14, 2014 11:23 am »

I really don't understand the whole "ethnic cleansing" part myself. It is in direct contrast to her ideology of the Earth Empire being an innovative and advanced society. She is shooting herself in the foot, actually at this point she has pretty much sawed off the whole damn leg. Why is she enslaving her citizens? Wouldn't many have joined voluntarily anyway? Why lock up people in prison for not being of Earth Kingdom origin? They could bring several abilities to the table, but she chooses to ignore it out of some "nationalistic" pride. She needs to be taken down and hard.
Colonel_Brian
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #82 on: Nov 14, 2014 11:34 am »

This was a good episode, but I disagree with the opinion that it is the best episode of the season. Sure, Varrick and Bolin continue to be great and it is nice to have the gang back together, but I don't think anything extraordinary happened. With that said, I am curious about the camps. Like a few of you already said, I don't see Kuvira as the ethnic cleansing type. I mean where did that come from?
TheGrandSage23
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #83 on: Nov 14, 2014 11:37 am »

She was raised on the progressive values of Zaofu, so the modernization-on-a-rampage stuff makes perfect sense. Even the impulse to build walls around the Earth Kingdom makes sense given that citizens in Zaofu lived in sealed domes. But where we she have picked up this imprison-the-non-earthbenders nonsense? She was fine with different nations before.. Even rescued and nursed Tonraq(waterbender).. She did threaten other nations but that was basically..

" your nations did nothing to help the EK... Stay out of my business and everything is all good" and she's right because technically they have no business meddling in her affairs but now it's different

I'm not bashing Kuvira. I love her character and the way it's been portrayed in the first 6 episodes.. but this episode has me conflicted of what's actually going on because we hardly know anything about Kuvira and Baatar anymore..either Bryke is trying too hard with Kuvira or she literally has no idea about this.. Or they could've been spies too leak info to other nations.. Other than that "Ethnic cleansing" logically should be the furthest ideas from Kuvira's mind
« Last Edit: Nov 14, 2014 11:42 am by TheGrandSage23 » Logged
Colonel_Brian
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #84 on: Nov 14, 2014 11:40 am »

I am guessing that Kuvira is a nationalist, who wants to do the equivalent of uniting all speakers of the same language under a single banner. Even then, I do not see it. Hopefully we get more information in next week's episode.
TheGrandSage23
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #85 on: Nov 14, 2014 11:51 am »

I am guessing that Kuvira is a nationalist, who wants to do the equivalent of uniting all speakers of the same language under a single banner. Even then, I do not see it. Hopefully we get more information in next week's episode.

Same here I mean this is technically racism... Something Kuvira has never shown nor was it even hinted.. Ugh we need some answers.. But I am glad she and Baatar gets to meet their grandmother lol.. It should be interesting
« Last Edit: Nov 14, 2014 11:55 am by TheGrandSage23 » Logged
Fate
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Avvy made by caves.

« Reply #86 on: Nov 14, 2014 11:57 am »

Wow, I'm glad to see so many people enjoyed the episode!

Varrick was great as always, and it was nice to see Team Avatar back in action.  But on the other hand I didn't really feel the reunion, and the story itself barely advanced (As in the status of the story is largely the same at the end of the episode as it was at the beginning:  Wu was captured and then promptly rescued, and the episode ends with Varrick and Bolin still heading to warn the president about Kuvira's weapon, and Korra, Mako, Wu, and Asami all having made it back to RC... where they were at the beginning of the episode).  

Still!  The ride itself was enjoyable and I am liking Wu more as time goes on.  There were some truly funny moments in this episode, and Bolin's "You've got to be kidding me!" cracked me up.

Probably the weakest episode in the season for me, though I'm glad you guys all thought it was strong.  I like to see the fandom in good spirits.  Wink

So eh, a low  average, 5/10.
« Last Edit: Nov 14, 2014 12:54 pm by Fate » Logged
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I can't think of anything clever to say.

« Reply #87 on: Nov 14, 2014 11:58 am »

This was a really solid episode. Like last week, I don't have any real negatives to say about it.

The Bolin/Varrick stuff were the best parts. They make a great duo and I like how Varrick actually helped out in the fight instead of being useless like last time.

It was also great to see the majority of team Avatar back together...although some off the 'getting on each-others nerves' part seemed a little forced...especially when Asami got mad at Korra when Korra questioned Asami about meeting her dad.

Speaking of Korra/Asami, there reunion was...you know what...never mind. I'm not going to say it. You guys already know how I feel about that.

I also agree with those that say the ethnic cleansing part doesn't make much sense given what we know about Kuvira. The UR thrived by mixing benders together to accomplish different tasks. Kuvira said she wants the Earth Empire to thrive and move towards future progress like Zaofu did...so she starts removing non-earthbenders from society? What?

Anyway, apart from those few nitpicks, nothing really bad about the episode. Nothing amazing either but it was important to have a simple episode where the team got back together.

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character." (As said by me)
UnownLegend
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Thank you Returnable Memory for the set!

« Reply #88 on: Nov 14, 2014 12:24 pm »

Asami's just getting defensive because she's not entirely sure whether she can trust him herself, I bet

Earth Angel
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #89 on: Nov 14, 2014 12:33 pm »

That Makorra doe.

Also have to agree that the Asami tension was a bit forced.

iKeep: Makorra | the Makorra hug & kiss in 112 | Makorra's final scene
Atren
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Mostly read, rarely post

« Reply #90 on: Nov 14, 2014 12:36 pm »

I loved Varrick in this, albeit I have to say I feel old for thinking Macgyver instead of Tony Stark reading posts here. Only part with Varrick I did not like was the 20 miles part, I hope that was just Varrick making things up.

Concerning reunion both Korra asking Asami about Hiroshi possibly manipulating her and Asami reply to Korra made me cringe. Other than that was good for me.

Ending gave flashback of Kuvira being Captain Planet villain. She is ruthless industrialist based on this, however it is not something to declare evil and must be stopped. The opression of other elements is surprising, I wonder why. All I can come up with is that she truly despises other benders, considers them destabilizing element or it was way for her to gain support from certain groups.
Lunar_Prodigy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #91 on: Nov 14, 2014 12:41 pm »

I really enjoyed this episode. The dynamic between Varrick and Bolin is fantastic. I am happy team avatar is mostly back together.

What happened to Tonraq though? I feel like he should have at least been mentioned in this episode. There is no way he reacted like oh my daughter is missing time to go back home.

Kuvira attacking the swamp got me to yell at the screen. Reactions like that have been missing a bit this season. I hope Toph and the swamp benders kick some earth empire butt. And maybe some freaking awesome spirit action as well.

Keeper of Yue's "You didn't protect me" Sokka's "She's the moon, she flies by herself"
and Wan Shi Tong's understanding of the radio being "tiny men in boxes"
Colonel_Brian
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #92 on: Nov 14, 2014 12:44 pm »

I got an James Cameron "Avatar" feel when Kuvira ordered the tree to be cut down.

I think that Kuvira's actions will prompt the spirits to start attacking humans again.
luvavatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #93 on: Nov 14, 2014 12:47 pm »

It definitely does feel like James Cameron's Avatar. A ton of giant hovering aircraft, a massive tree, a good number of mechs and their intention to destroy said tree. Too much of a coincidence for that to not have been a reference.
mmoon24
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #94 on: Nov 14, 2014 12:49 pm »

I agree with everyone who is saying that the Korra and Asami dialogue was a bit forced. Mako being hurt about Korra never replying about the letters definitely felt a bit more organic. I gotta say though, Wu needs to start stepping up. He's pretty much "Bolin" until Bolin returns to the Team.

Another caveat I had with this episode was Korra's fighting performance. This is what bothered me about the previous episode, and I don't want to get into too much details. She was fighting in very sloppy fashion with no sound technique. I mean, this episode is one day later and she pulled off some incredible stunts. I just thought the transition was a bit too strong.

Bolin and Varrick's adventures...they just need a sitcom please.

Kuvira's intention to harvest the spirit vines reminds makes me think she's about to suffer a minor defeat. We are a bit into the season, and the villain needs to start suffering some drawbacks. Similar to Hitler invading Russia in the cold, invading a giant spirit swamp is not going to go well.
Xagzan
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #95 on: Nov 14, 2014 12:57 pm »

So there's still a passenger train from RC to Omashu? Thought Kuvira had a clear Keep Out sign.

+1 Korrasami blush. The writers are so cruel :p

Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #96 on: Nov 14, 2014 01:03 pm »

I agree with everyone who is saying that the Korra and Asami dialogue was a bit forced.

Eh, when doesn't it feel forced or awkward though? Tongue

Another caveat I had with this episode was Korra's fighting performance. This is what bothered me about the previous episode, and I don't want to get into too much details. She was fighting in very sloppy fashion with no sound technique. I mean, this episode is one day later and she pulled off some incredible stunts. I just thought the transition was a bit too strong.

I mean, last week she was fighting against one of the best earthbenders in the world...this week she was just fighting low level mooks. Of course there will be a big difference in her performance.

People just spent to much time exaggerating in the last week to remember that Kuvira is one of the best there is.

Kuvira's intention to harvest the spirit vines reminds makes me think she's about to suffer a minor defeat. We are a bit into the season, and the villain needs to start suffering some drawbacks.

She doesn't have to. Amon and Unalaq didn't suffer any major setbacks until the finale. They just got stronger and stronger.

Anyway, the other thing I forgot to mention in my first post for the episode was my thoughts on Kuvira at the end. I guess it means that Toph will be back again...I just hope she doesn't overshadow the main cast. Please keep her role (and Katara and Zuko's) to a minimum Bryke!

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character." (As said by me)
mmoon24
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #97 on: Nov 14, 2014 01:08 pm »

I agree with everyone who is saying that the Korra and Asami dialogue was a bit forced.

Eh, when doesn't it feel forced or awkward though? Tongue

I mean, last week she was fighting against one of the best earthbenders in the world...this week she was just fighting low level mooks. Of course there will be a big difference in her performance.

People just spent to much time exaggerating in the last week to remember that Kuvira is one of the best there is.

Kuvira's intention to harvest the spirit vines reminds makes me think she's about to suffer a minor defeat. We are a bit into the season, and the villain needs to start suffering some drawbacks.

She doesn't have to. Amon and Unalaq didn't suffer any major setbacks until the finale. They just got stronger and stronger.

Anyway, the other thing I forgot to mention in my first post for the episode was my thoughts on Kuvira at the end. I guess it means that Toph will be back again...I just hope she doesn't overshadow the main cast. Please keep her role (and Katara and Zuko's) to a minimum Bryke!

Far as Korra's fighting goes, I'm strictly talking about her technique, not who she was fighting. Korra could have been fighting another bandit for all I care. A lot of wide swings and poor form. Plus, I don't recall any crazy acrobatics from her against Kuvira. Now she is jumping onto moving cars, deflecting metal projectiles, and even taking a group of people with her off the train. It's just a minor complaint, but I mentioned it somewhere else how the "0 to 60" approach would not feel right.

Far as the previous villains go. If I recall, Unalaq did have a few plans go awry, especially when it was assumed Korra was dead. I just don't see how Toph can lose to Kuvira unless she pulls a Bumi. Given the similarities of Kuvira to Hitler, Russia = Swamp.
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #98 on: Nov 14, 2014 01:16 pm »

^Korra did deflect the metal projectiles during the Kuvira fight, but I kinda see your point. That said, I wouldn't say using basic airbending to jump off a train and jump on a car count as amazing feats. She just let the air carry her. There wasn't anything impressive that really stood out to me. She performed as expected in my opinion.

Unalaq did lose it for a little there, true...but as a whole he just got more power as the season went on.

I just don't see how Toph can lose to Kuvira unless she pulls a Bumi.

I mean, Kuvira has a lot of her army there. If Toph somehow beats an army by herself, I'm going to lose hope for her would be flawless character.

My guess is that Toph will simply leave the swamp and get help.

Javisbc
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #99 on: Nov 14, 2014 01:16 pm »

So would we agree that when someone blushes is because you really like that person? im shipping neutral but i dont know why would they show that for no reason. THere is obviously something going on between them, whether they resolve it during the series is another issue, with Mako they went back to bickering but i dont know if thats a sign, maybe. He was clearly offended by the lack of letters and Korra wasnt very clear with her explanation. Can she be hiding the real reason from him? time will tell i guess
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: