May 23, 2017 08:06 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Avatar: TLA and LOK Tabletop RPG  (Read 11238 times)
Chair_Aznable
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« on: Nov 05, 2014 06:05 pm »

Hello all!

In my time perusing the avatar subreddit and my time lurking on this board, I had noticed some people had expressed interest in seeing an Avatar tabletop game. For the unfamiliar a tabletop rpg is a game you play with one person acting a referee or storyteller (known commonly as a GM or Game-Master) for a group of players acting as the main characters in whatever story the game master trying to tell. The players create their own characters and the GM sets the scenes and throws adversity at the players.

So after gauging interest in the system with my friends and starting up a campaign of my own I figured I could share the ruleset and what I have come up with so far, so that others could help give input or just play.

Here is the link to the google drive containing the various documents for the game. https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_8jRBAkBfbwOTZoSUJWTHl4OUU&authuser=0
*Warning: As this is a work in progress it is composed of text and tables without graphics, rules are also subject to change and I have a document to keep track of changes and additions*

So there you go. I'd love for people to play or look at it and I am open to input, as well as questions (I know it is in dire need of reorganization in certain places haha). For people with tabletop experience, it is a d6 based system with alot of inspiration from GURPS and Shadowrun. I usually update or add on to the rules at least every couple of days but sometimes daily. So check back often!

Edit (11/5/2014): I just want to make it clear that this is currently a work in progress. There is enough here to run a game and a campaign, but it is by no means finished. I just wanted to make sure that was clear. Please do give credit to me by the way if you decide to share this with other people.
« Last Edit: Nov 05, 2014 06:18 pm by Chair_Aznable » Logged
Cerulean
Global Moderator
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1 on: Nov 05, 2014 11:04 pm »

While I've never participated in a game such as this before, I know others have and wanted to apply it to Avatar. What you've worked out is a very thorough looking set up! I wish I had more to say other than being impressed. Let's wait and see if others who have played such things before can offer better thoughts. Smiley
Chair_Aznable
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #2 on: Nov 05, 2014 11:17 pm »

Hey. Even just stopping by to say that you are impressed is appreciated! It helps keep me motivated to continue work on it! Cheesy
Funkybender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #3 on: Nov 05, 2014 11:50 pm »

I'm more familiar with d20-based systems but I like what you have here so far. Obviously, the guides need a bit of work and the rules should be fleshed out, but as a sketch of the system it could work quite well. I like that you gave each bending type a particular restriction or weakness, and included a mechanic for non-benders.

How does leveling work?
Chair_Aznable
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #4 on: Nov 06, 2014 07:30 am »

Leveling works in that instead of getting a level and getting static upgrades you spend the XP you gain directly onro what you want to improve.

So after a couple of sessions, one player might want to spend xp improving their body attribute for more stamina, while another wants to learn a new bending technique, while another saves the xp for later.
Chair_Aznable
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #5 on: Nov 15, 2014 04:37 pm »

*Update!* (If this is in violation of the rules, feel free to remove this post)

In addition to the standard tweaks and changes to the rules that I do on a fairly regular basis, I am now adding rules for pro-bending! After a successful test-run with the people helping me test out the system I am wondering if anyone from ASN would like to get teams together and give pro-bending a shot?

Games would be hosted on roll20, and I would act as referee/rules arbiter. If anyone is interested in doing this, let me know. Thought it would be fun and a good way to test the tabletop mechanics.
secret_tunnel
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #6 on: Dec 01, 2014 04:44 am »

I'm glad to see someone else has taken an interest in doing this.  I'm working on one myself at the moment for my group. 

Yes!  We defeated you for all time!  You'll never rise from the ashes of shame and humiliation!

“Ironically, I hired a guy with a similar ability to kill the avatar myself once. (Pause.) Didn’t work.”
-“Don’t feel bad. I tried to kill Korra after she ruined my wedding. It happens.”
Chair_Aznable
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2015 09:48 pm »

I am still among the living and still working on this system. I massively overhauled bending, basically redoing it from scratch. Bending techniques can now have effects like knockdown or multi-target. Makes bending a bit more dynamic.

I also added "Modern" bending substyles for Korra-era campaigns. Based off of the bending seen in pro-bending, it emphasizes lighter attacks and staying on light on your feet.

I'm also beginning work on a pdf, but the completion of that is a long way off.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: