Mar 30, 2017 09:45 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Episode:
10 - 49 (47.1%)
9 - 23 (22.1%)
8 - 14 (13.5%)
7 - 10 (9.6%)
6 - 4 (3.8%)
5 - 2 (1.9%)
4 - 1 (1%)
3 - 1 (1%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 104

Pages: « previous page   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [406] The Battle of Zaofu  (Read 36034 times)
zukataang
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #600 on: Nov 14, 2014 12:04 pm »

So, what about this episode?

The kataang granbabies were so cute in their pajamas. :3

I doubted that Meelo was truly the one who drew that Korra picture in episode 404 (“Would a rambunctious loudmouth have the patience and dexterity to create such realistic drawings?”) but apparently he did!

I like that he has this talent. Makes me think of Riley of the Boondocks. Exact same age, same talent, same “loud and annoying little brother” attitude. Meelo’s just a less ghetto version.

Where was Kai? He used to be with Opal and now we have Opal and not him.

It would have been nice for Kai and Jinora to give us a glimpse of what they are like as a more grown up couple and how they balance their time together and their duty towards the world by fighting against Kuvira together in this episode.

I expected that Bolin would have a Boiling Rock type of episode where he infiltrates a re-education camp and manages a clumsy escape, but the writers found a very satisfactory way to get him to join Varrick and deflect towards a more original and interesting plot.

And what a plot! Varrick COMMITS SUICIDE now that Zhu Li is gone? It was played for laughs, but it was actually a crying your eyes out level of sad... Or so it would have been if it wasn’t for Bolin saving him!

Or had he planned Bolin’s escape all along? Because at the end he was all like “you did the thing!” as if he had planned it all along, but at the same time, he didn’t ask Bolin to get them out even after Bataar Jr left so…? That was a little confusing.

“He Varricked himself because some girl Zhu Lied him.”

I loved this. Cheesy

I loved Varrick this episode. In fact, I love him in general. He is a mentally unstable genius, like many other fictional characters in other works, but with a unique, super entertaining spin to him.

And um I wonder if it’s just me, but when he said that Zhu Li’s name would be synonymous with BITC-rayal, I had a “Wow easy there O.O” moment because I thought for a sec that he was going to say... something else. But Nick is a good boy, he doesn’t do the bad words thing, I should have known better. Tongue

Anywho, it's a little worrisome that Zhu Li wasn’t shown to have even a slight reaction of sadness or discomfort when hearing that Varrick had blown himself up. She's good at looking impassive, but you'd expect such a big news to crack the pokerface a little.

Old Korra and her “let’s punch this conflict to rest” attitude would have ended this issue ASAP. I was so frustrated when she postponed the use of the avatar state even though she was being beaten up like a punching bag! And so delighted when she finally entered the AS… until she got punched out of the way like a punching bag again! ><

I expected Kuvira and Korra to be closer to being on equal footage, but instead, Korra was defeated as if getting the metal out made no difference at all. She didn’t even have ONE moment of swift keenness where she managed to hit Kuvira, she got buttkicked from beginning to end.

People are like “the metal wasn’t everything, she has to deal with psychological issues too”, but the fact that she got the metal out was already a sign of her having progressed psychologically too, so it should have made a difference, but it didn’t look like she made that much progress there.

I wonder: what is it that will finally make her surpass her trauma? She can't keep being weak for the rest of the season, can she? And her being beaten into a pulp all the time is getting a little tiresome to watch to be honest.

I liked Kuvira’s confidence during the fight, the way she laughed, moving around, after hitting Korra for the first time. It made her look really cool.
And her fighting Korra because she'd never let her army do something she wouldn't do herself was honorable too. She's evil, but I get why people follow her. Nothing works as good as a leader who battles alongside her subordinates.

Bataar and Huan, just bow to Kuvira now and find a way to overthrow her later! Pride will get you nowhere! ><

I wonder how and why Bataar Jr and Kuvira got together. Bataar is so in your face he comes across as petulant, whereas Kuvira doesn’t feel the need to be all “look at me, I’m king” because her actions say it loudly enough. Idk he seems a little childish for her...
It would have been nice to have some intimate Kuvirataar (or what’s their ship called?) moments to make their ship deeper and more believable. Right now they give more of a leader-sidekick, Amon-lieutenant, vibe than the vibe a soon to be husband and wife give off. Romance humanizes villains and makes them more interesting. It was done so well with P’Li and Zaheer.  It’s too bad that we aren’t getting much of that with these two.

I I hope that in the next episode, all the world leaders will finally get thrust back into the foreground. Kuvira’s interesting and everything, but I want to see what’s happening to other characters and the people in the EK towns who allegedly become slaves once she leaves. It’s an interesting political conflict with so much potential. We should see more of the repercussions it can have all over the world.

That was a good episode. Lookin' forwards to seeing the next one!

zukataang
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #601 on: Nov 14, 2014 12:29 pm »

I have to say that this title was quite misleading. It would have been more apt to call it Duel for Zaofu or Duel at Zaofu. I mean there was no real battle here, it was hardly even a skirmish.

Episode 406: The Duel for Zaofu.

I would have liked that title. It deffo would have been more representative of the episode's content.

I get Bryke's title choice though. "Battle" just sounds so much more epic.

Rava
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Korrami ♪ TyZula ♬ Kataang ♫ Maiko ♫ Bopal ♪ Sukka

« Reply #602 on: Nov 15, 2014 08:19 pm »

Where was Kai? He used to be with Opal and now we have Opal and not him.

Good question indeed. They have been together for quite a time, being a good airbending team, and all of a sudden he's gone.

Re-Education maybe?

yours Rava

Keeper of Aang's Vision of Toph - Iroh's Spirit World sight - Toph's badgermole kiss - Lion turtle's chanting ---  Smiley
Quote from: Fishfood1
you're the king of yuri on ASN
BlackPanther1012
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #603 on: Nov 16, 2014 04:47 pm »

^ Maybe he's just on another mission or at another temple? Or maybe Opal ditched him to be with her family....

What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.
--Philipians 4:9
NextFireBend
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

King Spider-Man.

« Reply #604 on: Nov 16, 2014 07:33 pm »

Maybe the writers forgot about him? Tongue

It can happen.

Or he watches Glee idk.
ahintoflime
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #605 on: Nov 16, 2014 08:42 pm »

Maybe the writers forgot about him? Tongue

It can happen.

We're not that lucky.
JuDee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

^Credit to INTJf

« Reply #606 on: Nov 28, 2014 03:01 am »

Talking about the highlight of this episode.... That one-on-one fight.

I expected so much, actually. I expected more inner turmoil, more reason, more motivation to why Korra resisted violence. More cunning methods to reason with villains who will (of course) listen to no reason.
It could be potential. It could lead to a wondrously strong dialogues and debates and arguments, it could lead to us knowing more about Kuvira's motives. It could.

Keeps : Female Air Nomad's robe, Aang's Fire Nation school outfit, Joo Dee's official tour guide robe and The Day of Black Sun.
DangerMouseDM
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #607 on: Dec 05, 2014 10:03 pm »

Saying your disgusted of Korra
Wouldn't you be after that performance.

No, not really, because she beat herself. She wasn't ready yet.

Just re-watched... I think korra was just sloppy and slow. She had some pretty good combos; its just that kuvira is up to date on her bending.

Agreed. As was said, she was definitely rusty in that fight.

“He Varricked himself because some girl Zhu Lied him.”

I loved this. Cheesy

I loved Varrick this episode. In fact, I love him in general. He is a mentally unstable genius, like many other fictional characters in other works, but with a unique, super entertaining spin to him.

And um I wonder if it’s just me, but when he said that Zhu Li’s name would be synonymous with BITC-rayal, I had a “Wow easy there O.O” moment because I thought for a sec that he was going to say... something else. But Nick is a good boy, he doesn’t do the bad words thing, I should have known better. Tongue

Anywho, it's a little worrisome that Zhu Li wasn’t shown to have even a slight reaction of sadness or discomfort when hearing that Varrick had blown himself up. She's good at looking impassive, but you'd expect such a big news to crack the pokerface a little.

I expected Kuvira and Korra to be closer to being on equal footage, but instead, Korra was defeated as if getting the metal out made no difference at all. She didn’t even have ONE moment of swift keenness where she managed to hit Kuvira, she got buttkicked from beginning to end.

Haha yeah, that Varrick. I love watching his character.

Yeah, I expected a bit of a crack.
They did a great job of showing her emotionless half-hearted clapping during the duel.

The way that they even had to keep talking Korra into fighting Kuvira even after everything happened kind of prepared me that she wasn't "all-in" on this fight even before it started, despite a bit of tough talk just before it started. Heck, she wasn't even responding to Kuvira being cocky and then her talking like she ready to take on the Avatar State, which nearly took her out in two shots if not for Korra's internal struggle.

Both of them asking if she's ready, even she didn't respond like usual to that.

I have to say that this title was quite misleading. It would have been more apt to call it Duel for Zaofu or Duel at Zaofu. I mean there was no real battle here, it was hardly even a skirmish.

Yeah, even more so on my re-watch, I think either of those titles would have been more appropriate.

I agree 100%, this was easily the funniest episode since Rebirth in season 3. The entire train scene had me in stitches. Bolin and Varrick are easily the best comedic duo since Sokka and Toph. Honestly the rest of the season could just be Bolin and Varrick going on wacky adventures and I think I would be completely okay with that. Varrick's response to Baatar's remote line killed me.

This lol. Those two were great together.  Also, while I naturally saw the failed "Do the thing!"s coming since Bolin is not Zhu Li they were still hilarious thanks to those two.
« Last Edit: Dec 06, 2014 12:36 am by DangerMouseDM » Logged
RWB
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #608 on: Dec 15, 2014 08:41 am »

Opal and Jinora's air vortex was definitely over powered, considering that it rivals AS Aang levels of air bending.

http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y332/reiko96/vtwvt4b5r_zpsfb8e12cd.jpg

I don't see it. The size is impressive sure, but Aang's wind bubble is a passive thing that he doesn't even move to bend.
Korra's attack here is a one strike, no charge move.

Also, there's a serious power difference as well. The whirlwind used by the two is nowhere close to Korra's strike in knockback. Avatar state Aang's more compact wind bubble from the finale? That thing cut giant cliffsides in half like butter.

People on this forum has a tendency to conflate the size of the attack with the power, and this series doesn't actual work like that. Single, focused one hand palm strikes are usually stronger than big crowd control moves.

For example, this was one of the most impressive air bending knockback attacks:

Please remove the img tag when quoting images next time. ~ Icy
« Last Edit: Dec 15, 2014 09:15 am by Icy_Ashford » Logged

"I made [my money] on the seas, and in the mines, and in the cattle wars of the old frontier! I made it by being tougher than the toughies, and smarter than the smarties! And I made it square!" -Scrooge Mc Duck
Pages: « previous page   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: