Dec 17, 2017 11:29 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Episode:
10 - 49 (47.1%)
9 - 23 (22.1%)
8 - 14 (13.5%)
7 - 10 (9.6%)
6 - 4 (3.8%)
5 - 2 (1.9%)
4 - 1 (1%)
3 - 1 (1%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 104

Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [406] The Battle of Zaofu  (Read 42977 times)
razorstar90
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #50 on: Nov 07, 2014 08:31 am »

Jeez as soon as Korra went into the Avatar State the fight was over. Kuvira got handled in 2 moves, but then Nightmare Korra returned. Which is a good thing. The poison wasn't a quick fix. She's still dealing with the trauma. So kudos to the writers for not taking PTSD lightly.
insertname
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #51 on: Nov 07, 2014 08:35 am »

As painful as it was to watch Korra get her butt kicked, plot wise it makes sense. She's been extremely physically weakened and hasn't been able to properly train for three years. She was physically healed just days ago, and she's still not okay psychically. Kuvira on the other hand is a master earth- and metalbender in her prime, with a lot of recent training. I guess they could have made it a little bit less one-sided, but Korra winning against Kuvira wouldn't make much sense.

I'm also glad they didn't end Korra's psychological struggle with ep. 4 (Though I did like that episode, it's just not enough to fully address this.
Star Outlaw
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Are you okay?

« Reply #52 on: Nov 07, 2014 08:40 am »

I pretty much knew how this episode was going to turn out. Maybe that's why it felt kind of short. The one twist I didn't see was Varrick and Bolin getting away so soon.

Kuvira has an interesting fighting style. It seems very precise and based heavily on countering offense. I wouldn't say it's like waterbending, as Kuvira isn't really redirecting energy so much as it's more like she counter hits or trips Korra up a lot. I'd say that it's very much an embodiment of neutral jing, if that counts. Kuvira just waits for Korra to present some kind of opening and then exploits it. In a situation like this, I think Korra should probably have been more defensive.

Check out my Avatar Music Videos.

I keep Pabu. Sig by LeonsKennedy4815
Weege the Airbender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Airbender for Life

« Reply #53 on: Nov 07, 2014 08:42 am »

The Kuvira vs. Korra fight is longer than I thought it would be and it is a shame to see Korra got beat up so much. However, it made sense plot-wise that she is still weakened and has PTSD.

I am really shocked at how big that tornado was that Jinora and Opal generated. That seems like almost AS level airbending.

"I told you I would destroy you."
"With you out of the way, I will be the one true Avatar."
"Your name will echo throughout history: Korra, the last Avatar."
magnuskn
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #54 on: Nov 07, 2014 08:51 am »

Well, that kinda went as expected. Although Varrick is a magnificent bastard. And Zhu Li is totally faking it.

And I still think that Korra's PTSD may have something to do with her being afraid of her own power in the Avatar state, instead of being afraid of dying and failing.
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #55 on: Nov 07, 2014 08:54 am »

The fight between Korra and Kuvira... I gotta say Korra really wasn't in tip top form. Her movements were too "big" and "spread open" instead of having small and quick movements. A reason why Kuvira easily beat her, Korra left her weak spots "out in the open" so to speak. That's the number one big no no in martial arts, you don't open your arms or legs too wide. Your enemy will definitely take advantage of that.

I thought she would have learned something from Toph after being roughed up in The Swamp but I guess not... And I was wondering why she didn't metalbend the strips Kuvira put on her... Korra can metalbend the poison but she can't metalbend thin strips of metal which is much smaller than the metallic wall Aiwei put up before escaping??

Though djinn would be happy to know that Korra still has to overcome her PTSD.

Huan was hilarious as usual. And the airbender kids were very cute in their pajamas. It's nice to see a slightly more serious side to Varrick which hasn't been seen since Book 2. And Bolin is really dense and naive... Sigh.

If Su and the twins get executed... that would be superbly dark.

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Omninaut
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Heil das Mutterreich über alles!

« Reply #56 on: Nov 07, 2014 08:56 am »

Wait, I don't get why the duel was set up.

古維拉萬歲!

We can lay the groundwork for people to choose their own greatness.
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #57 on: Nov 07, 2014 08:59 am »

Korra wouldn't let Kuvira take Zaofu and they agreed with fighting it out. The victor takes the city.

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
RedLotusEqualist
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #58 on: Nov 07, 2014 09:02 am »

Okay, I get that it is technically still a kids show, but if Varrick was willing to die, why allow Bataar to escape? Why not keep him on the train and blow him up? That would be a serious blow to Kuvira.
Solitude
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Shaped by fire and ice.

« Reply #59 on: Nov 07, 2014 09:04 am »

Just finished watching!

Wow, great fight scene although it is strange that I was actually rooting for Kuvira. Don't hate me. Lol. Love to see her in her long hair!

Poor Korra. I'm sure she will emerge victorious out of this. Kuvira really nailed the point when she said that Korra did not do anything to help restore order in EK. I'm sure that hurt Korra's pride because it's just true. Sad

Am I the only on who thinks that Kuvira is still a bit underpowered, bending-wise? She has a magnificent bending style, but I am not sure if we saw her best moves?

Omninaut
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #60 on: Nov 07, 2014 09:11 am »

Korra wouldn't let Kuvira take Zaofu and they agreed with fighting it out. The victor takes the city.

That's what I don't get.
Su Yin tried to assassinate her adopted daughter with a child soldier hit squad in the dead of night, under an Avatar mediated truce.

How does that push Korra from "talk it out" to "fight Kuvira?" I'm pretty sure what Su Yin did counts as casus belli in any scenario.

Su Yin went full Galt's Gulch last episode, it seems contrived something that clearly effed up would push Korra to Su's side.

古維拉萬歲!

TheGreenLotus
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #61 on: Nov 07, 2014 09:14 am »

Okay, I get that it is technically still a kids show, but if Varrick was willing to die, why allow Bataar to escape? Why not keep him on the train and blow him up? That would be a serious blow to Kuvira.

Because he knows that Bolin would get them out. That's why after the explosion he told Bolin, "You finally did 'the thing'."
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #62 on: Nov 07, 2014 09:14 am »

Do you guys think that Book 2/3 Korra(non-AS) would have put up a better fight?

Thane
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #63 on: Nov 07, 2014 09:15 am »

An overall good episode I'd say, and I'm especially glad Varrick actually made a bomb and didn't bluff. Kuvira fighting fairly one on one, even letting Korra get up when she had been knocked down, makes her a more enjoyable villain to follow. I really liked how she addressed the troops before her duel with Korra, and I believe she meant every word. The loss of Zaofu, while expected, was done well, and it gives our heroes an objective: recover in Republic City, warn the world leaders and then liberate the city.

Of course, no episode is perfect. The fight was constantly too one-sided. Korra should've gotten off a few proper hits, and Kuvira should have taken more than ten seconds to be defeated by the Avatar state. I heavily disliked the tornado conjured by only two airbenders, and that it could keep an entire army at bay; it just felt and looked too easy.

This episode also made two things clear to me, and I'm not a big fan of either: first of all, Korra will probably visit Zaheer and face her inner demons, and Baatar Junior will inevitably save the day somehow, and I'm not sure I want Kuvira to be defeated by him of all people.
TheGreenLotus
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #64 on: Nov 07, 2014 09:17 am »

That's what I don't get.
Su Yin tried to assassinate her adopted daughter with a child soldier hit squad in the dead of night, under an Avatar mediated truce.

How does that push Korra from "talk it out" to "fight Kuvira?" I'm pretty sure what Su Yin did counts as casus belli in any scenario.

Su Yin went full Galt's Gulch last episode, it seems contrived something that clearly effed up would push Korra to Su's side.

It's like what ancient Greece do when it comes to war. They choose the greatest heroes from both the opposing side to battle it out and winner takes all. This is to prevent the bloodshed of more lives.
luvavatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #65 on: Nov 07, 2014 09:19 am »

Child soldiers? They're as old as the soldiers we send to fight, so they're not children.

Considering what Kuvira is doing, I'd say that it makes sense that Su tried to take her out. I mean enslaving citizens, putting people who voice out in prisons?

Kuvira was the one who started the fight, she was not going to talk anymore with Korra. She said that the only way to stop her was if Korra did so physically. So Korra had no choice but to fight her, however she doesn't have all the facts so of course she'd be reluctant to fight. If she knew what Kuvira was up to, then she'd have been more eager to put an end to her. I have a feeling nobody is going to tell her and Kuvira will just be her "designated" villain.
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #66 on: Nov 07, 2014 09:19 am »

^For sure she would've put up a better fight. Would even venture to say she would win pretty easily. She's basically getting her but kicked because she's rusty and her PTSD/Dark Korra vision.

Suyin BAEfong <3
Solitude
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Shaped by fire and ice.

« Reply #67 on: Nov 07, 2014 09:21 am »

Same here, I did not like how Jinora and Opal made that tornado so powerful just like that. Seriously.

TheGrandSage23
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #68 on: Nov 07, 2014 09:22 am »

Im going to be honest here... Varrick stole this episode and i liked how Kuvira was alot more reasonable and tolerable
DJSmallz
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Handsome & Wealthy

« Reply #69 on: Nov 07, 2014 09:25 am »

That was an amazing episode! Bolin and Varrick were on point this episode (as well as Huan), Korra's fight with Kuvira was amazing (and that hallucination!)...it was just, all around, a great episode!

The only thing I'm potentially disappointed in is the fact that Bolin isn't going to one of the re-education camps to give us a lense into Kuvira's methods.  But, again, I'm sure that the story will address this at some point.

9/10. A few minor flaws, but an enjoyable and greatly constructed experience.

Same here, I did not like how Jinora and Opal made that tornado so powerful just like that. Seriously.

I mean, you have one Master Airbender and another advanced Airbender. It's not that far-fetched, to be honest.

Let's have a money shower tonight!
Storia
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

#dictatorsumade

« Reply #70 on: Nov 07, 2014 09:27 am »

And i thought this book's villains were serious looking people Cheesy

« Last Edit: Nov 07, 2014 09:35 am by Storia » Logged

Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #71 on: Nov 07, 2014 09:28 am »

Yep. I agree. Air benders need to be nerfed.

Star Outlaw
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Are you okay?

« Reply #72 on: Nov 07, 2014 09:30 am »

I also want to note that, in case it wasn't clear enough, Kuvira has a pretty massive ego. She clearly enjoys humiliating Korra in battle. I don't know if I would say this makes her like Azula, but there are some definite similarities forming. They're both manipulators, but Kuvira seems much more direct and actually tries to get people to like her first before resorting to intimidation.

Check out my Avatar Music Videos.

I keep Pabu. Sig by LeonsKennedy4815
Omninaut
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #73 on: Nov 07, 2014 09:32 am »

That's what I don't get.

It's like what ancient Greece do when it comes to war. They choose the greatest heroes from both the opposing side to battle it out and winner takes all. This is to prevent the bloodshed of more lives.
But why was Korra fighting for Su Yin. She was neutral last episode, going against Su's orders to wipe out Kuvira and her army, and then Su goes behind her back for a child soldier abetted assassination attempt. Why would that push Korra from neutral to bering on Su's side?

I also want to note that, in case it wasn't clear enough, Kuvira has a pretty massive ego. She clearly enjoys humiliating Korra in battle. I don't know if I would say this makes her like Azula, but there are some definite similarities forming. They're both manipulators, but Kuvira seems much more direct and actually tries to get people to like her first before resorting to intimidation.

Agreed, her style is very theatric, still a performer after all these years .

古維拉萬歲!

Weege the Airbender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Airbender for Life

« Reply #74 on: Nov 07, 2014 09:33 am »

I was surprised when Kuvira's ego was so massive that she allowed Korra to enter the Avatar State. You would think that the Avatar State would not be allowed in the terms of the fight.

"I told you I would destroy you."
"With you out of the way, I will be the one true Avatar."
"Your name will echo throughout history: Korra, the last Avatar."
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: