Nov 20, 2017 03:40 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Episode:
10 - 56 (45.5%)
9 - 30 (24.4%)
8 - 26 (21.1%)
7 - 7 (5.7%)
6 - 4 (3.3%)
5 - 0 (0%)
4 - 0 (0%)
3 - 0 (0%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 123

Pages: « previous page   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [401] After All These Years  (Read 60290 times)
Raistrom
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

The Delta Stream Comes Forth!

« Reply #625 on: Oct 20, 2014 01:12 am »

@Raistrom

Welcome, as well!  Smiley
@Raistrom
Hi, welcome onboard the SS ASN! Good to have one here who loves long rants... xD

9/10... What did the chapter lack that you not gave it a full 10/10 like me did?
Thanks for the welcome. I'm reserving a 10/10 for an episode with a little more to it that makes me go "wow" I'm really feeling this season is potentially building up to some amazing ones.
Storia
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

#dictatorsumade

« Reply #626 on: Oct 31, 2014 10:45 pm »

I still don't understand how can Kuvira use the metal Earth Kingdom emblem (the one on the left of the map).

Zaofu use it first.

zukataang
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #627 on: Nov 01, 2014 04:00 pm »

^ Zhaofu isn't necessarily the one that created that symbol. Maybe it's a popular symbol in the Earth Kingdom. Maybe it stands for something.
aa623
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Ty Lee <3

« Reply #628 on: Nov 01, 2014 04:41 pm »

I think it's the emblem of the Metal Clan, a place of progress. Kuvira probably used it to show where she's from and that she is there for progress and advancement. She could be trying to make it the new symbol for the Earth Empire.

Keeper of the mural of Earth Kingdom Avatars from 103, the theory Ty Lee is descended from Air Nomads, Ty Lee's "At least I'm different now!" the theory that Pema is Ty Lee's daughter, Ikki's grey eyes, Mako's amber eyes, and Ikki's quote about the best way to win a boy's heart from 105.
The_Xov
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #629 on: Nov 01, 2014 11:39 pm »

In that case, who wants to bet that Kuvira's plan for Zaofu is not only to crush it militarily, but to make it the Earth Empire's new capitol?

iKeep: The Airbending Wipeout Obstacle Course from Original Airbenders!
That bastard formerly known as mike50333
Wan-Shi-Tong-Servant
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #630 on: Nov 11, 2014 02:36 pm »

I can't help thinking that all the Earth royalty are so non-combat oriented. Kuei was kept purposefully so, so he would be dependent on the Dai Li's expertise. The Queen was screeching for guards but did nothing to even try to fight herself. And now, their successor is a wimpy, sickly looking guy who stupidly relies on just one person to keep him safe. If he's so truly worried about being assassinated, he would cultivate a full guard and send for an instructor in Kyoshi Warrior techniques for himself. As it is, it seems like he just likes to play it for drama. For that matter, if we cut him a break for being young, inexperienced, and unexpectedly thrust into the position, why are none of the RESPONSIBLE adults like Lin and Raiko suggesting any of this? Instead they are just placating him lamely. Lin may not think he's worth the trouble of whipping into shape, and Raiko may have Long Feng-like ulterior motives for keeping the future king weak and vulnerable. AND he installs a loyal policeman of his own city as his guard. All around very suspicious.

Same thing goes for the village that Opal and Kai are trying to help. There was an episode of Clone Wars where they taught farmers how to defend themselves from rouges. It was a great story. Where are the nonbender Kyoshi Warriors in all this?

I must admit I found the pie attack pretty funny. If only political dissidents did that kind of thing in the real world!

I was irritated that seemingly the only woman Kuvira captured was the one to start sniveling. Maybe it rubbed her the wrong way, too. This scene reminded me of the story my mother told me about rockslides constantly stopping the trains in Italy. Tongue At the very least she is a lenient dictator, or recognizes valuable human capital.

I wonder what the rest of the airbenders think about this "reunification" plan. Maybe Tenzin is okay with it, but hasn't he been involved in a government all his life that was run by elections and shared power? Why is he now suddenly behind a re-installment of a monarchy that was falling apart in the first place? Have the rest of the airbenders learned enough about the culture to develop ideas/ideals of de-centralized de-stratified government, like it appears Opal may have? Aang didn't like Ba Sing Se for similar reasons.

Hey, have you seen how Earthbenders fight? You totally have to train an elite squad with special techniques if you want to guard a vase without breaking all the vases in a thirty meter radius.

This! The Dai Li were most likely learning a "less is more" type lesson from the Avatar who studied other styles like waterbending that are more conservative and calculated than "hurrrg gonna chuck a rock at joo!"

An in-depth examination of ATLA. Ty Lee meets Azula's targets: complete strangers, yet their auras glow invitingly. Kataang, TyLokka, sibling!Toko http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5732344/1/What_Meets_the_Eye

Undertale fanfic:
http://forums.avatarspirit.net/index.php?topic=24342.msg2465903#msg246590
WarriorMind556
Can't Create New Topics
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #631 on: Nov 11, 2014 03:38 pm »

Kuvira is not fed, she is a random warlord who took power.
« Last Edit: Nov 11, 2014 03:40 pm by WarriorMind556 » Logged
Magicman710
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #632 on: Nov 11, 2014 06:14 pm »

In that case, who wants to bet that Kuvira's plan for Zaofu is not only to crush it militarily, but to make it the Earth Empire's new capitol?

I definitely would agree with this. Of course, it would have to expand. But thats a serious blow to the "old Kingdom" supporters, who knew Ba Sing Se as the capital for thousands of years.
WarriorMind556
Can't Create New Topics
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #633 on: Nov 11, 2014 09:17 pm »

I definitely would agree with this. Of course, it would have to expand. But thats a serious blow to the "old Kingdom" supporters, who knew Ba Sing Se as the capital for thousands of years.
Not really since most the BSS is a symbol of oppression while Zafou is a beacon of hope. Remember Kuvira's original supporters were rich citizens of Zaofu.
Magicman710
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #634 on: Nov 11, 2014 09:52 pm »

Not really since most the BSS is a symbol of oppression while Zafou is a beacon of hope. Remember Kuvira's original supporters were rich citizens of Zaofu.

I'm speaking of upper ring aristocrats mostly.

1st Mecha SS Kuvirajugend
Banned Clone Account
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #635 on: Nov 11, 2014 10:52 pm »

The problem is most Kuvira supporters are either 1. Rich people from Zaofu who want to profit on the Imperialization, or 2. Poor to average citizens who are tired of the monarchy.

Upper ring aristocrats are probably the least supportive of Kuvira because it means the end to their reign.

"If the idea of revolution is to win out, it must be through political enlightenment."
Sun Yat-Sen, Leader of KMT after fall of Chinese Qing Dynasty
Spiritwhisperer
Forum Moderator
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #636 on: Nov 12, 2014 05:45 am »

Considering the palace was looted, I don't hold out much hope for the rest of the upper ring and its aristocrats escaping that violence either.

"In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.”
- Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
JuDee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

^Credit to INTJf

« Reply #637 on: Nov 21, 2014 02:05 am »

Whhhooooaaaa... This episode was... awesome. Extremely awesome from many aspects. They're scaling the complexity up, with the main characters growing up things aren't gonna be the same. How's Ba Sing Se now, what kind of path has Korra taken... What have the airbenders been up to... under what circumstances will the Team Avatar gather again once more... Very excited to watch the next episode!

Aaah, haven't had this feeling in a while during Korra... Guess this episode is like the thing that re-flicked the "ok, I'm a fan" switch for me.

Keeps : Female Air Nomad's robe, Aang's Fire Nation school outfit, Joo Dee's official tour guide robe and The Day of Black Sun.
Spiritwhisperer
Forum Moderator
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #638 on: Nov 21, 2014 02:07 am »

Very excited to watch the next episode!

Oh, that's gonna be fun for you Wink

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.”
JuDee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

^Credit to INTJf

« Reply #639 on: Nov 21, 2014 02:11 am »

Hnggggg ok I'm gonna grab my lunch and eat first before diving for the next one.

That little fight Korra had shocked me most, actually. There's something the writers are trying to tell in showing Korra losing a petty match, no?
Oh I'm so tempted to click the next episode.

Wait. meal first.

Keeps : Female Air Nomad's robe, Aang's Fire Nation school outfit, Joo Dee's official tour guide robe and The Day of Black Sun.
Spiritwhisperer
Forum Moderator
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #640 on: Nov 21, 2014 02:13 am »

That last scene of Korra in 401 basically broke my spirit for an entire week.

Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #641 on: Mar 10, 2015 08:58 pm »

I forgot to say my one slight minor problem with the episode is the pronunciation of the State of Yi.

C'mon, there's no 'a' in it! Why pronounce it as "yai"?? It's pronounced like the letter "E". So simple. For an Asian influenced show, the names are always said in a Westernized manner ever since the ATLA days. Why hire a person with a PhD to write all the texts in the show but can't teach you how to say the names properly? Roll Eyes

Looks like I was justified with the pronunciation of the State of Yi according to the Book 4 blu-ray commentary.

Mike and the writers thought of the state as being pronounced “Yee” but Robert Morse came in and pronounced it as “Yai”, so they went with that.

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Pages: « previous page   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: