Jul 28, 2017 12:55 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Episode:
10 - 56 (45.5%)
9 - 30 (24.4%)
8 - 26 (21.1%)
7 - 7 (5.7%)
6 - 4 (3.3%)
5 - 0 (0%)
4 - 0 (0%)
3 - 0 (0%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 123

Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [401] After All These Years  (Read 57809 times)
shorewall
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Yeah, baby!

« Reply #600 on: Oct 14, 2014 07:27 pm »

Yeah, just about the only thing worse than a politician is a Tax Attorney.

Hm, I wonder if we stumbled across the villain of the next Avatar series... Grin

Well, we already had the "Korra and Asami go tax collecting" episode, but they were the protagonists, so somehow the lesson learned here was "pay your taxes or the Avatar and her girlfriend will beat you up".

Nah, the lesson was that Asami and Korra were chumps.  Korra I can see resorting to violence with little provacation, and Asami was blinded by her desire for some alone time with Korra.  Wink

"The true mind can weather all the lies and illusions without being lost. The true heart can tough the poison of hatred without being harmed. Since beginning-less time, darkness thrives in the void but always yields to purifying light."
fireywaters
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Peace on Avatar, before peace in real life

« Reply #601 on: Oct 14, 2014 09:39 pm »

Okay my ban is lifted, here is my very late review.

Okay it was a great start. A three year time skip is something I wasn't expecting, it is awesome to see it gives a lot of possiblities and character growth, mostly with the air kids. Jinorra and Kai can actually be a real couple and not this kiddie couple, Ikki grows closer to woman hood, Meelo has hair, and Rulan can actually talk.

Like I predicted, the Red Lotus like the Equalists before them are non exident, though all of this is the result of the Red Lotus. We have to deal with bandits and Kuvira's army. I think everyone thought Suyan's comment about the Earth Kingdom royality was opsolute, they were right, but it was Suyan's followers that probably heard that how many times from her that is taking it to heart and doing something about it.

This Earth Prince is so annoying, Bosco is the only member of the Earth Kingdom royal family that is actually gone, everyone else is either a jerk or just incompident. Poor Mako. And Asami she looks great, the time skip was kind to her.

Kuvira wants to rule the whole Earth Kingdom that is one thing I can forgive, but you are breaking up Bolin and Opal, no unforgivable. I hope Bolin redems himselfd they reconcile.

The ending I was scared, when Tonraq said Korra wasn't there, I thought perhaps Kuvira had already captured her. Korra doing some MMA like fighting that is awesome. But Korra turning her back on the world, we are on the verge of a 100 year war II. I think what we are seeing with Kuvira the early stages of Sozin trying to conquer the world, probably started with the best intention but slowly become all about power and evil. So this could show us what if Roku or Aang tried to stop Sozin early in his path.

And where is the scene of Korra leaving for the SWT three years earlier, I guess that is a flashback in a later episode. Speaking of flashbacks, we are going to see what happened in the 3 years when Korra caught up on it, Korra and the audiance will be caught up at the same time.

10 / 10 great to have Korra back.

Peace between the Fire Nation and the other nations, before peace in our world
Storia
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

#dictatorsumade

« Reply #602 on: Oct 15, 2014 06:35 am »

What if, the unconquered state that we see as Omashu is actually the State of Yi? Shocked

luvavatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #603 on: Oct 15, 2014 07:38 am »

Omashu is the capital of its state, so Kuvira would have to talk to the ruler of that city in order to bring them under her fold. I believe that Omashu, Zaofu and the Swamp are the only areas not yet taken over by Kuvira.
Spiritwhisperer
Forum Moderator
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #604 on: Oct 15, 2014 07:49 am »

And the United Republic of Nations of course.

* cue sinister background music *

"In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.”
- Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
Storia
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

#dictatorsumade

« Reply #605 on: Oct 15, 2014 08:12 am »

I can't believe Bolin get away with the fact that Kuvira wants to "unite" The URN with The EK.

Spiritwhisperer
Forum Moderator
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #606 on: Oct 15, 2014 08:27 am »

I'm pretty sure noone knows about that yet. Heck, for all we know our speculation is wrong and it's not her goal.

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.”
luvavatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #607 on: Oct 15, 2014 08:39 am »

I wonder how powerful Kuvira's army is now that she has united 90% (well more now that Yi has joined) of the Earth Kingdom. If she wanted to take over the United Republic could they and the rest of the world repel her forces? I imagine that once she started to taking over areas, those areas ended up adding more to her military complex allowing them to be even larger than the other nations combined. Considering that the Earth Kingdom IS larger than all of the other nations combined, I wouldn't be surprised. Man I wish we could've had a twenty episode season to really flesh it all out.
Spiritwhisperer
Forum Moderator
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #608 on: Oct 15, 2014 08:42 am »

A far lower proportion of the Earth Kingdom is benders than in other nations. It's one of the reasons the Earth Kingdom isn't overpoweringly strong compared to the other, smaller nations.

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #609 on: Oct 15, 2014 06:23 pm »

The Earth Kingdom could really stand to take the original concept behind the Dai Li- a small, elite, rapid-deploy force dedicated to preserving the Earth Kingdom- and expand it to the entire nation. Then just make sure they're not removed from the balance of power and used as a single thug's private enforcement squad.

Old School
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #610 on: Oct 15, 2014 09:19 pm »

The Earth Kingdom could really stand to take the original concept behind the Dai Li- a small, elite, rapid-deploy force dedicated to preserving the Earth Kingdom- and expand it to the entire nation. Then just make sure they're not removed from the balance of power and used as a single thug's private enforcement squad.

The Dai Li was a bad idea when Kyoshi came up with it, and it'd be an even worse idea to apply it to a whole continent.
luvavatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #611 on: Oct 15, 2014 09:37 pm »

A far lower proportion of the Earth Kingdom is benders than in other nations. It's one of the reasons the Earth Kingdom isn't overpoweringly strong compared to the other, smaller nations.
Percentage wise they have less benders than the other nations, but we don't know population wise if they have more or less. Also what made them weaker than a smaller nation like the Fire Nation is because it was a disconnected country. Unlike the Fire Nation that was truly united, many states before, during and after the war were pretty much left to their own devices. It is only now that the Earth Kingdom has started to truly be a unified nation.
Raistrom
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

The Delta Stream Comes Forth!

« Reply #612 on: Oct 15, 2014 11:19 pm »

Greetings ASN. I've been lurking since book Change and have recently decided to start posting. I'll start by sharing my thoughts on the new season.

I really enjoyed this episode and want to see the plot develop. The time skip was a great tool for setting up the new story and showing the progress of the Earth Kingdom. It should be interesting to see how much the characters have grown. (I'm also digging the new designs) Republic City has done a 180 on its attitude towards the spirit wilds which is good, I guess. I can't say I'm enthralled by Raiko's plans, just because I feel his only motivation is to boost his PR. Mako seems displeased with body guarding duties, and you can't blame him as I'm not even sure I can take much more of Wu. Also, laid-back Lin is best Lin.

With Kuvira taking charge and unifying the Earth Kingdom it seems like there will be a rift between our characters, at least at first, as Kuvira shows more of he antagonistic side. As said before I am surprised how enjoyable she despite her unremarkable apearence in book 3. Varrick is part of her entourage and yet it's unclear who's side he'll be on in the end. Bolin should be mature enough to make his choices despite his naivety.  He and Opal aren't having such a smooth relationship despite their initial hookup so Bolin officially cannot catch a break with relationships. Kai... needs to not lose to unnamed bandits. Tongue

It was nice to see Tenzin's family too, hopefully they will get more focus later on. I don't have much to say about as I've already watched the next ep.
and will discuss later.

9/10 Can't wait to discuss the rest of the season.
Rava
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Korrami ♪ TyZula ♬ Kataang ♫ Maiko ♫ Bopal ♪ Sukka

« Reply #613 on: Oct 16, 2014 09:14 am »

@Raistrom
Hi, welcome onboard the SS ASN! Good to have one here who loves long rants... xD

9/10... What did the chapter lack that you not gave it a full 10/10 like me did?
« Last Edit: Oct 16, 2014 02:59 pm by Rava » Logged

yours Rava

Keeper of Aang's Vision of Toph - Iroh's Spirit World sight - Toph's badgermole kiss - Lion turtle's chanting ---  Smiley
Quote from: Fishfood1
you're the king of yuri on ASN
shorewall
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Yeah, baby!

« Reply #614 on: Oct 16, 2014 10:31 am »

@Raistrom

Welcome, as well!  Smiley
« Last Edit: Oct 16, 2014 03:46 pm by shorewall » Logged

"The true mind can weather all the lies and illusions without being lost. The true heart can tough the poison of hatred without being harmed. Since beginning-less time, darkness thrives in the void but always yields to purifying light."
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #615 on: Oct 16, 2014 05:26 pm »

The Dai Li was a bad idea when Kyoshi came up with it, and it'd be an even worse idea to apply it to a whole continent.

A National Guard with specialized skills is a bad idea?

I'm not talking about keeping that "cultural protector" mandate. That's just asking for trouble.

Old School
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #616 on: Oct 16, 2014 06:06 pm »

I'm not talking about keeping that "cultural protector" mandate. That's just asking for trouble.

But that's what the original concept was. They were essentially created to preserve status quo in Ba Sing Se.

A National Guard/militia-style task force would be a good idea, but that's not (nor do I believe it was ever) the Dai Li.
Colonel_Brian
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #617 on: Oct 16, 2014 06:09 pm »

The Dai Li were created to protect Ba Sing Se's cultural heritage. During the Peasant Uprising, many artifacts were destroyed. I don't see what that has to do with maintaing the status quo as if the Dai Li kept the lower-ring impoverished.
Old School
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #618 on: Oct 16, 2014 06:16 pm »

The Dai Li were created to protect Ba Sing Se's cultural heritage. During the Peasant Uprising, many artifacts were destroyed. I don't see what that has to do with maintaing the status quo as if the Dai Li kept the lower-ring impoverished.

You don't train an elite team of earthbenders to keep vases from breaking. They were trained to keep the people in check.
« Last Edit: Oct 16, 2014 06:22 pm by Old School » Logged
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #619 on: Oct 16, 2014 06:20 pm »

Hey, have you seen how Earthbenders fight? You totally have to train an elite squad with special techniques if you want to guard a vase without breaking all the vases in a thirty meter radius.

shorewall
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Yeah, baby!

« Reply #620 on: Oct 16, 2014 10:49 pm »

Hey, have you seen how Earthbenders fight? You totally have to train an elite squad with special techniques if you want to guard a vase without breaking all the vases in a thirty meter radius.

Cheesy

And if what was said above about the EK is true, that they have fewer powerful benders per capita, then I agree with Loopy.  The Dai Li was a good idea of finding the best and brightest and helping them reach their potential.  (Ala the EQ's secret airbender army.  Tongue)  Their cause was wrong, but the concept wasn't so bad.  (And let's not blame Kiyoshi anymore for the Dai Li.  Hundreds of years can twist anything into something completly different than it's intention.  If anything, we should blame Roku.  Cheesy  Again!  Cheesy)

Space Oddity
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #621 on: Oct 16, 2014 11:03 pm »

A National Guard with specialized skills is a bad idea?

I personally suspect that a large part of it was Kyoshi was looking for a good way to get the Earth King to accept a new security force headed by (and loyal to) the Avatar, and thus was trying to make the thing sound as inoffensive as possible. 
jadeheart100
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #622 on: Oct 16, 2014 11:58 pm »

Release date: 3 October 2014

Summary: It's been three years since Zaheer poisoned Korra and the members of Team Avatar have moved on with their lives; Kai and Opal help a struggling Earth Kingdom town.

Discuss!
WHY ISN'T IT ON NICK YET? I'M DYING. Does anyone know when it'll be out on Nick?
aa623
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Ty Lee <3

« Reply #623 on: Oct 17, 2014 02:29 am »

^It's been on nick.com since the 3rd. It's not going to be on the TV.

Keeper of the mural of Earth Kingdom Avatars from 103, the theory Ty Lee is descended from Air Nomads, Ty Lee's "At least I'm different now!" the theory that Pema is Ty Lee's daughter, Ikki's grey eyes, Mako's amber eyes, and Ikki's quote about the best way to win a boy's heart from 105.
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #624 on: Oct 17, 2014 02:53 am »

^It's been on nick.com since the 3rd. It's not going to be on the TV.
Eps 309-314 were eventually shown on Nicktoons ("Season 3 of “Legend of Korra” is getting another shot at television, airing on Nicktoons starting Sep. 15.") aka TV soon after the Book 3 finale.

Chances are, Book 4 will be on Nicktoons too but we won't know the date for that.

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: