Dec 13, 2019 01:42 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What IS canon to Avatar: The Last Airbender/Legend of Korra? A list  (Read 10292 times)
Red Hawk
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« on: Sep 18, 2014 02:07 am »

As the Avatar: The Last Airbender/Legend of Korra franchise continues to grow, various spin-off material has been and will be produced.  So the question arises:  just what is considered "canon", or rather, what is considered valid and authoritative to the overall Avatar timeline?  Obviously, any material has to be officially licensed by Nickelodeon.  But that's not enough.  If something is made without the input of the creators and writers of Avatar, and is obviously inconsistent with details and events from the two main cartoons (not including being subjectively inconsistent with character interpretations), it's not to be considered canon.  Generally a work that is canon will either be directly written by the show's creators and writers, or it will have an endorsement from the creators, saying they contributed to the story aspect of the work.

Here is a list of works that, to my knowledge, are considered valid by the co-creators to Avatar:

• The two main animated series, of course.
  • The "Escape from the Spirit World" interactive comic that was first on Nick.com, and was later included with the Book 2 DVDs.
  • Information from the "Lost Scrolls" books
  • Some comics from the "The Lost Adventures" compilation of short comics, such as "The Bridge", "Going Home Again", or "Relics"*.
  • The graphic novel series "The Promise", "The Search", and "The Rift", and comics "Rebound" and "Shells", all written by Gene Yang with input from Mike and Bryan.
  • The "Republic City Hustle" web miniseries released on Nick.com.
  • The upcoming Legend of Korra video game developed by Platinum Games and written by series writer Tim Hedrick.
  • The information from the old Avatar: The Last Airbender area of Nick.com and the recent Legend of Korra area**.
  • The upcoming book "Legacy" about Aang's life after the war (potentially***).

And here are some significant things that, as far as I can tell, are not canon:

• The live-action movie, of course, along with any tie-in material intended for the movie rather than the animated series.
  • Any and all video games for Avatar: The Last Airbender.
  • The kid reader novelizations for Avatar: The Last Airbender and Legend of Korra.
  • The "sillier" comics from The Lost Adventures.*

*The thing about The Lost Adventures is that a good deal of the comics are clearly not meant to be taken seriously.  They're funny stories that don't really fit into the greater story arc of ATLA, and weren't meant to.  It wasn't until the comics first published in the pre-Book 2 All-Avatar NickMag that the writers started treating comics as an avenue of telling significant stories outside of the show.  The proper approach in my mind is to take the serious toned comics, well, seriously, and ignore the sillier comics.

**The information posted on the Nick.com Avatar/Korra sections has been very detailed, and it's clear that the writers were the ones posting it and not some Nick.com web designer working off a press kit or something.  Notably, the Avatar wiki routinely uses it as a source for information.  It's where we get details like Zuko having stepped down from being Fire Lord years ago, giving the throne to his daughter.  This point seems assumed but not fully explained by how Zuko is referred to as just "Lord Zuko" rather than Fire Lord Zuko in Book 3, and the moment where he mentions his daughter and Korra refers to her as the Fire Lord.  However, on several points the creators and writers have gone against details established on the website.  The website described the Avatar as "the spirit of the world incarnate", but "Beginnings" changed that entirely -- the creators mentioned in interviews that the "spirit of the world" was the idea they had at first, but later moved away from it.  So, web information is a sort of lesser canon.  It's valid information, but the creators don't seem beholden to staying consistent with it.

***We have few details on "Legacy" as of yet.  It's written by someone uninvolved with the main show.  It remains to be seen if this will be an endorsed collaboration like the comics by Gene Yang, or a licensed work the show creators and writers had little to no involvement with, like the novelizations.
« Last Edit: Oct 02, 2014 12:41 am by Red Hawk » Logged
chicken_sokka
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Fire. Wang Fire.

« Reply #1 on: Sep 18, 2014 02:14 am »

I agree with this for the most part, though I remember hearing mention somewhere that all of The Lost Adventures are technically canon except for the three bonus stories at the end.

Keeper of Sokka's Memorial Statue, Beard, and Gavel!
plushu
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

157% PIANDAOIST

« Reply #2 on: Sep 18, 2014 03:51 am »

I agree with this for the most part, though I remember hearing mention somewhere that all of The Lost Adventures are technically canon except for the three bonus stories at the end.

I don't remember anyone saying that about The Lost Adventures save for the people who worked on them.

Add to the list of canonical material:
-- The Lost Scrolls.  Mike confirmed, years ago, that those books were canon and that he contributed a lot of info that was taken from the series bible for them.

Add the the list of non-canonical materials:
-- The trading cards. Mike confirmed that he and Bryan had nothing to do with those.
-- Zuko's Tale or whatever it's called. People think that thing is canon but it was clearly meant as a movie tie-in since it actually says it is right on the cover of book.

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #3 on: Sep 18, 2014 09:01 pm »

The authors intended Zuko's Tale to be compatible with the ATLA cartoon, aside from the character's looks, but that still makes the tale no more canon than any of the Lost Adventures comics not written by the cartoon crew (minus whatever Nick's official tie-in endorsement is worth).

Red Hawk
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #4 on: Sep 19, 2014 02:28 am »

I don't remember anyone saying that about The Lost Adventures save for the people who worked on them.

-- The Lost Scrolls.  Mike confirmed, years ago, that those books were canon and that he contributed a lot of info that was taken from the series bible for them.

Whoa, he did?  I did not know that. Where did he say it, and are they actually, you know, worth reading?
plushu
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

157% PIANDAOIST

« Reply #5 on: Sep 19, 2014 12:53 pm »

-- The Lost Scrolls.  Mike confirmed, years ago, that those books were canon and that he contributed a lot of info that was taken from the series bible for them.

Whoa, he did?  I did not know that. Where did he say it, and are they actually, you know, worth reading?

He said that years ago. (2007?) Someone asked about the books at a con when they first came out and he said they were canon and that he had contributed a lot of info to them, particularly The Lost Scrolls: Air.

They aren't stories, just books filled with facts about each of the nations. They're for children ages 4 - 7, but I love them because of all the world-building information they contain.  They have info that never made it into the artbook.

I would love to have a series of books like The Lost Scrolls for TLOK, books where we learn about the nations since the end of the war, and one with world-building facts for Republic City.

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #6 on: Sep 19, 2014 06:40 pm »

That's the original source of the "all Air Nomads are Airbenders" factoid, isn't it?

I wish Dark Horse would put them all in an omnibus.

plushu
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

157% PIANDAOIST

« Reply #7 on: Sep 20, 2014 12:06 am »

That's the original source of the "all Air Nomads are Airbenders" factoid, isn't it?

Yes.  The Lost Scrolls: Fire also gave a partial look at Ozai's face from the back and side which gave me a pretty good idea of what he looked like a year and a half before season 3 premiered.  There's also a really nice picture of a female earthbending soldier.  The books have information on the different places and animals and unique things about each nation, too.

chicken_sokka
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Fire. Wang Fire.

« Reply #8 on: Sep 20, 2014 02:51 am »

Not by Dark Horse, but they have been collected into a single book:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1416978224?cache=fc01f5292ba3b421ff2b46d992934c21&pi=SY200_QL40&qid=1411199442&sr=8-1#ref=mp_s_a_1_1

Keeper of Sokka's Memorial Statue, Beard, and Gavel!
Red Hawk
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #9 on: Sep 22, 2014 03:35 pm »

He said that years ago. (2007?) Someone asked about the books at a con when they first came out and he said they were canon and that he had contributed a lot of info to them, particularly The Lost Scrolls: Air.

They aren't stories, just books filled with facts about each of the nations. They're for children ages 4 - 7, but I love them because of all the world-building information they contain.  They have info that never made it into the artbook.

I would love to have a series of books like The Lost Scrolls for TLOK, books where we learn about the nations since the end of the war, and one with world-building facts for Republic City.

I'll have to look into finding them at a Barnes and Noble or something, then.  I noticed them still on shelves just a couple years ago, hopefully they're still there.  Anyways, I'll add them to the canon list.
Antiyonder
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #10 on: Sep 27, 2014 08:27 pm »

What about the book "Love Potion 8" (http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Love_Potion_8)?

Is it considered canon or apocrypha (non-canon)?
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #11 on: Sep 29, 2014 06:03 pm »

As far as I know, it's never been addressed, and the only thing possibly keeping it from being canon is some out-of-character writing, but it's long been established that we don't disqualify anything based on that.

Red Hawk
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #12 on: Sep 29, 2014 09:38 pm »

As far as I know, it's never been addressed, and the only thing possibly keeping it from being canon is some out-of-character writing, but it's long been established that we don't disqualify anything based on that.

Well if there's no known connection or input from Mike & Bryan or any of the show's writers on it, I would say that's another thing keeping it from being canon.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #13 on: Sep 29, 2014 09:47 pm »

Yeah, I meant in terms of contradictory content. We never heard that it had any involvement with the cartoon's staff.

Antiyonder
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #14 on: Sep 30, 2014 05:31 am »

Well if there's no known connection or input from Mike & Bryan or any of the show's writers on it, I would say that's another thing keeping it from being canon.

Noted.  I just wasn't sure.  If only cause the book itself seems to be overlooked, and I wasn't sure if the lack of mention was an oversight or intentional.

@Loopy: Just as a refresher, what was the ooc you were referring to?
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #15 on: Sep 30, 2014 06:06 pm »

Nothing egregious, just some people thought that Sokka and Toph were a little too mushy or something.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: