Dec 13, 2019 02:55 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are The Graphic Novels Similar to the Cartoon?  (Read 3401 times)
lex luthor
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« on: Sep 06, 2014 07:42 am »

I'm thinkingog buying the graphic novel the promise, but I'm hearing mixed reviews. Some people seem to like it, while others tell me the characters are out of character and the story appears forced. What do you guys think?
EndlessFlame55
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Riddle Me This, Riddle Me That~

« Reply #1 on: Sep 06, 2014 07:55 am »

Hey there, Lex~ First off all, really amazing username you got there. Nice to see another Superman fan wandering around these parts! Smiley

Second, and most importantly. Let me first say that I've only recently been able to get around to catching up on the comics myself, but, in my own personal opinion, I believe very strongly that the second series -- The Search, is far superior to The Promise. I enjoyed it much more than the first three comics that were done in the comic book series. Mostly because, when looking back, there are a lot more problems with The Promise than in the later arcs. And I feel as though Gene Yang was really struggling with the characterizations of the main team and how they reacted to certain situations and drama, and didn't really know where he wanted things to head. Of course, with any first time writer in a series like this, and even with the help of Mike and Bryan, there's always going to be a few boo-boos here and there. That's why The Promise feels a bit forced, as well as slightly out of character and confusing at times. It improves in second and third part, but the first part is very -- oh, in my opinion, not that great. I can't really explain why it seems that way, but it just kind of does. You'd have to see it for yourself, I suppose.

However, The Search, and of course the more recent The Rift, really does pick up and has far superior writing than the first three. So basically, I'd suggest that if you're willing to be patient enough to get through some strange characterizations and choices that are apparent in The Promise, (At least the first half and part of the second) I think you'd really enjoy later installments and perhaps the end of The Promise's arc in whole. Smiley In some ways they are very similar to the heart of the original series, with good humor, lessons and the characters dealing with the aftermath of the war and what they are going to become, and in some places they share the dramatic writing and chance taking of Korra.

Basically, I'd say give it a chance! I'd totally recommend it! Remember that your opinions are totally your own and not everyone is going to think the same as you. Wink Judge it for yourself and see what you think!
« Last Edit: Sep 06, 2014 07:57 am by EndlessFlame55 » Logged

*~*ASN's Queen of Bromance*~* (Tumblr link in siggy. <3)

Keeper of: The 'Iroh Is Zuko's Father' theory, and the Irko reunion scene.
(I love these boys with my whole entire heart~)
lex luthor
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #2 on: Sep 06, 2014 09:29 am »

Thanks for your review, I mean to be honest I chose the promise because it's the first one from the lot, if you know what I mean. Though I intend to read them all eventually. I just recently finished watching the cartoon for the first time, and I was left wanting more. I was kind of disapointed to find out that Legend of Korra was based 70 years in the future, because I really wanted to see the characers I liked in ATLA again.

Anyway, yeah Lex Luthor is my favorite DC character period lol, I was delighted to see his voice actor as Long Feng in ATLA. To me it seemed like Long Feng was the Asian version of Lex Luthor lol
Weege the Airbender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Airbender for Life

« Reply #3 on: Sep 06, 2014 12:07 pm »

I would recommend the graphic novels. They are nowhere near the level of the show, but they are still worth a read. The Search trilogy is probably the best so far, and even it has some pretty glaring flaws in my opinion.

"I told you I would destroy you."
"With you out of the way, I will be the one true Avatar."
"Your name will echo throughout history: Korra, the last Avatar."
Solid Sun
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

dio did nothing wrong

« Reply #4 on: Sep 06, 2014 02:57 pm »

The Search made Ursa even more controversial.

Featuring : Polaris, Zyrax HikaruIzumi, Blue Warpath, Prophet of Doom, Weegee the Airbender, TyLuko4Ever, Johan, Riptide, SunxFire and AtoMaki : D
tommytoe
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

When love is real, it finds a way

« Reply #5 on: Sep 06, 2014 04:45 pm »

The only one I really liked was The Lost Tales comic. The Promise had some good ideas but botched the execution pretty badly IMO. I haven't read The Search yet though I've heard its much better.
lex luthor
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #6 on: Sep 06, 2014 05:12 pm »

^^
can you elaborate what you mean by "Botched up?"

Would they ruin the story of the cartoon? I don't want to sound like a fanboy or anything, but the graphic novel appears to be the only way I can stay in contact with the original characters. Though the LOK sounds good, I'm more interested in stories related to the older cast
Solid Sun
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

dio did nothing wrong

« Reply #7 on: Sep 06, 2014 05:21 pm »

Welp, there is OOC business, weird plot, ships sinking and stuff Shocked

Featuring : Polaris, Zyrax HikaruIzumi, Blue Warpath, Prophet of Doom, Weegee the Airbender, TyLuko4Ever, Johan, Riptide, SunxFire and AtoMaki : D
lex luthor
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #8 on: Sep 06, 2014 05:33 pm »

^^ I hear a lot of "out of character claims" lol

can you give me an example?
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I can't think of anything clever to say.

« Reply #9 on: Sep 06, 2014 05:35 pm »

ships sinking

Well technically its just a ship...but yeah.

@Lex- if you want more stories with the old cast you should try the comics. Some people hate them but there are plenty who love them as well.

The Promise is the weakest of the trilogies so far (though I personally like it more then The Rift), just keep that in mind when you read it.

Otherwise, you should just try reading them and form your own opinion. Smiley

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character." (As said by me)
lex luthor
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #10 on: Sep 06, 2014 05:53 pm »

ok thank you all for your advice,

from what I understand these graphic novels are supposed to answer some of the questions that weren't answers in the cartoon, and they're also cannon. I think I'll give them a read, I'm going to start with the promise because it's the first one but like I said I intend to read all of them anyway.
Solid Sun
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

dio did nothing wrong

« Reply #11 on: Sep 06, 2014 06:07 pm »

^^ I hear a lot of "out of character claims" lol

can you give me an example?

Mai leave Zuko because he refuse to tell her his secrets.

Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #12 on: Sep 06, 2014 06:09 pm »

That's really the only true OOC moment in my opinion.

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character." (As said by me)
Solid Sun
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

dio did nothing wrong

« Reply #13 on: Sep 06, 2014 06:27 pm »

BOY LEAVE THE FIRE NATION TO MAKE A DEAL WITH THE ENEMY BEFORE PROCEEDING TO PUT YOU IN A PRISON'S CELL TO TOPPLE HIS OWN COUNTRY ? Kiss him and get in a relationship, again
Almost-husband love you dearly but is under pressure and hide secrets ? Run away and never look back.

This is "Nicest girlfriend" and "ridiculously sensitive girlfriend" in one.

Red Hawk
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #14 on: Sep 06, 2014 11:56 pm »

BOY LEAVE THE FIRE NATION TO MAKE A DEAL WITH THE ENEMY BEFORE PROCEEDING TO PUT YOU IN A PRISON'S CELL TO TOPPLE HIS OWN COUNTRY ? Kiss him and get in a relationship, again
Almost-husband love you dearly but is under pressure and hide secrets ? Run away and never look back.

This is "Nicest girlfriend" and "ridiculously sensitive girlfriend" in one.

It had been a year.  I'm sure that conversation was only the latest in a litany of relationship problems they had had because of Zuko's stress.
Fieryfurnace
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Just passin' through

« Reply #15 on: Sep 07, 2014 12:42 pm »

I haven't actually read The Promise fully (it didn't keep my interest, though i'll probably buy the library edition to read the commentary since i enjoyed The Search's library edition) but i have read The Search and what is so far released of The Rift and i can say that they are definitely more well written than what i read of The Promise. I think Gene just didn't really 'get' the characters at first, but i think he's getting better with each trilogy. (For example, Sokka becoming more useful and strategizing in The Rift part 2, instead of being purely the comic relief.)  I think The Search and The Rift are good reads, but i don't think they've hit the show's level of storytelling yet. I'm hoping that Gene will continue to improve as he gets more used to the comics' page limitations, characters, and what not.  Smiley
tommytoe
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

When love is real, it finds a way

« Reply #16 on: Sep 08, 2014 11:18 am »

can you elaborate what you mean by "Botched up?"

Would they ruin the story of the cartoon? I don't want to sound like a fanboy or anything, but the graphic novel appears to be the only way I can stay in contact with the original characters. Though the LOK sounds good, I'm more interested in stories related to the older cast

I didn't care for The Promise but it certainly didn't ruin the show for me either. As some people already mentioned the biggest problem were the Gaang acting out of character and the new characters personalities and goals changing every third page or so. Some of the worst out of character moments for me were Aang agreeing to kill Zuko if he started to become like Ozai, Zuko choosing to ask Ozai for advice instead of Iroh or the Gaang, Aang severing his connection with Roku because he didn't agree with him, and so on. Another thing I didn't care for was how much Katara was pushed to the sidelines. She had plenty of screentime but she never did anything important and her romance with Aang (which I loved in the show) was kind of sickeningly sweet. It wasn't all bad though. Toph and Sokka are hilarious as usual and I really liked the part when Toph admitted that she was projecting her own frustrations with her parents on her metalbending students.
Solid Sun
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

dio did nothing wrong

« Reply #17 on: Sep 08, 2014 11:54 am »

The whole Ozai's advices and stuff was awkward, yup.

One of my biggest gripe is Kori tho, I just want for someone to come and crush her everytime she open her mouth but she keeps whining and being a jerk who don't get much punishment for trying to murder a world leader.
Even Sasuke would find her irritable in all her whiny rants.

Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #18 on: Sep 08, 2014 12:40 pm »

Katara was pushed to the sidelines. She had plenty of screentime but she never did anything important

I never got why people feel this way about Katara in the Promise. Besides Zuko and Aang, she's probably the most important character in it. She's the one that convinced the two to set up a meeting with Kuei to try to talk the issue out. She's a big reason why Kuei eventually changed his mind. She is also a major reason for why Aang changed his mind as well.

If it wasn't for her, the situation would have been very different, arguably to the point where the war might have actually happened compared to the very quick cease fire.

Seriously, she's the reason why everyone didn't just kill each other.

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #19 on: Sep 08, 2014 01:50 pm »

While every single claim about OoC in The Promise is true, and the Ursa depicted in The Search has only the barest resemblance to the Ursa from Zuko Alone, I think all other claims about OoC behavior are simply the result of the tin-eared dialogue that pervades the comics. It's hard to imagine the voice actors actually saying the things attributed to their characters, even when the action and general sentiment is in-character.

Amazingly, the big exception is Azula. She's the hardest for fanfic writers to get, but she's the only one that the comics have really gotten totally right.

The plots of the comics are pretty bad, though, so for people who need an ATLA fix, I recommend just diving into some mediocre (or better) fanfiction. At least fanfic is free.

lex luthor
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #20 on: Sep 15, 2014 07:19 pm »

I just read the part one novel of the Promise.

It wasn't that bad come on guys. Sure there was some things that didn't feel right such as Katara and Aang calling each other "sweetie" urgh, but I felt the characters in general were pretty much spot on, especially Toph. I personally liked the idea of Zuko going to Ozai, because it gave justification for his keeping him alive. Though it did seem arkward considering he would have usually of went to his uncle instead, but he probably thought he would be able to pursuade his dad in telling him were his mom is as well.
Mr Grieves
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #21 on: Sep 15, 2014 07:23 pm »

I've only read the first few they released but I don't think they're much like the show at all. I don't even remember enough to say whether the characters are OOC but even if they were in character...the comics are just kinda dull. The show's had low points but it still remembered that it was all supposed to be fun and action packed.
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #22 on: Sep 15, 2014 08:28 pm »

We don't allow advice threads on ASN.

Question answer anyway so thread locked.

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: