Nov 12, 2019 07:40 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Ozai finished?  (Read 6630 times)
Fate
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Avvy made by caves.

« on: Jul 30, 2014 08:16 pm »

Among the many things we've learned from the comics, one of the most concerning is that Ozai is still a malevolent presence to be contended with.  Despite being locked away from the world, he has maintained influence throughout the post-war political upheaval, and we know that some among the Fire Nation still see him as the rightful Fire Lord (the New Ozai society, Yu Dao's former governor, the long string of assassins who have attempted to take Zuko's life, etc.).  From his prison cell he remains something of a cloistered power, and his machinations nearly deprived Zuko of his birthright in The Search.  Even in prison, this man does not quit, and though removed from leadership he's shown himself to be quite the formidable schemer.

But he overplayed his hand in The Search, and now his goose may be cooked once and for all.

Does the re-emergence of Ursa spell the end for Ozai?  Now the secret is out: Ozai was a usurper, and he is guilty of the highest treason himself.  How would the Fire Nation, even his own loyal supporters, react to the news that Ozai attained the throne through murdering their Fire Lord?  Will this crush his support forever and leave him impotent, or would many loyalists just see Ursa's story as a fabrication to smear their lord?

And while Ozai might have been imprisoned by the Avatar for crimes against the other nations, this particular act was a heinous crime against the Fire Nation.  His darkest secrets are out--what is in store for him?
SMBH
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Lord Zuko is not amused

« Reply #1 on: Jul 30, 2014 08:50 pm »

This seems to be based on the plots from the comics, so it should be in Wan Shi Tong's library.

Moving...

...moved.

ATLA Keeps: Kuei's necklace, Pandalilies, Zhaodburns, Sokka's DoBS speech
TLOK Keeps: Sparkly bush, Aang's statue, Korrlok, Asami's racetrack
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #2 on: Jul 30, 2014 10:00 pm »

What proof is there that any slander Ursa makes against Ozai is true?

She's a disgraced and banished traitor. Of course she's going to blame her honorable husband for all the trouble she caused, and the real usurper, that honor-less dog Zuko, wouldn't hesitate to shore up his own tenuous grip on the throne by executing his father with the slightest excuse. (Notice how he went on a journey with his sister, long kept away from the public eye, and then claimed that she ran away of her own volition, and now no one can find her. He's a kin-slayer, that one.)

Old School
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #3 on: Jul 30, 2014 10:27 pm »

Do we even know if the events and subsequent revelations of the Search are common knowledge to anyone other than the Gaang, Azula, and Ursa's new family? I don't think they actually addressed that in the comics, and based on episode 1 of LOK, it's not something you can read about in a book.
Red Hawk
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #4 on: Jul 31, 2014 01:13 am »

I doubt they'll ever bring back Ozai for a role in the story, at least.  He's served his purpose post-defeat.
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I can't think of anything clever to say.

« Reply #5 on: Jul 31, 2014 02:05 am »

I doubt they'll ever bring back Ozai for a role in the story, at least.  He's served his purpose post-defeat.

Well there's that whole New Ozai Society thing...

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character." (As said by me)
Mahaanus
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #6 on: Jul 31, 2014 03:51 am »

Well there's that whole New Ozai Society thing...

I'm with you on this one. He has at least one more story left in him...

What proof is there that any slander Ursa makes against Ozai is true?

And really, why would Ursa go denounce Ozai in public anyway? The woman seems happy to live in obscurity.

Recent events have drawn me out of my hole.
Solid Sun
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

dio did nothing wrong

« Reply #7 on: Jul 31, 2014 04:47 am »

The New Ozai Society is something of a joke for me.

Featuring : Polaris, Zyrax HikaruIzumi, Blue Warpath, Prophet of Doom, Weegee the Airbender, TyLuko4Ever, Johan, Riptide, SunxFire and AtoMaki : D
HikaruIzumi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #8 on: Jul 31, 2014 04:50 am »

TBH I feel like the New Ozai Society was a one-time deal. It would be the best if we simply moved on from Ozai.

Solid Sun
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

dio did nothing wrong

« Reply #9 on: Jul 31, 2014 04:53 am »

Maybe have Ozai escape and led the club ?
And then lost because a single mook soldier overpowered the entire club and he was himself defeated by two soldiers because he don't have firebending anymore ?

Featuring : Polaris, Zyrax HikaruIzumi, Blue Warpath, Prophet of Doom, Weegee the Airbender, TyLuko4Ever, Johan, Riptide, SunxFire and AtoMaki : D
Mahaanus
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #10 on: Jul 31, 2014 05:05 am »

The New Ozai Society is something of a joke for me.

TBH I feel like the New Ozai Society was a one-time deal. It would be the best if we simply moved on from Ozai.

Even if the society itself does not reappear, there is some discontent towards Zuko from what we've seen. The rebellion arc is to be expected and Ozai is perfectly suited for the role.

Recent events have drawn me out of my hole.
Solid Sun
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

dio did nothing wrong

« Reply #11 on: Jul 31, 2014 05:13 am »

I dunno, a rebellion arc seems good but I don't think there are others clubs like this.

HikaruIzumi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #12 on: Jul 31, 2014 11:04 am »

Of course there is discontent towards Zuko, it would be unrealistic as hell if it wouldn't. But it takes a lot more than just discontent for people to rebel. I'd say everything depends on who controls the army. Fire Lord or nobles. If Fire Lord, we definitely won't see any rebellion.

colle
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #13 on: Jul 31, 2014 12:41 pm »

Right now maybe not, depending of how deep and powerful Ozai's supporters are (more than the New Ozai Society). As time goes on, and the people get used to all the changes coming from the end of the war and get used to Zuko's rule; I think Ozai will become irrelevant eventually.
Red Hawk
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #14 on: Jul 31, 2014 04:24 pm »

Even if the society itself does not reappear, there is some discontent towards Zuko from what we've seen. The rebellion arc is to be expected and Ozai is perfectly suited for the role.

A rebellion arc would be dull.  We already know how it ends.  And there are more interesting stories to tell.
Solid Sun
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

dio did nothing wrong

« Reply #15 on: Jul 31, 2014 04:33 pm »

You just need to put Azula in the rebellion arc.

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #16 on: Jul 31, 2014 05:35 pm »

Why tie Azula to that? The most boring, predictable thing for her to do at this point would be to try to overthrow Zuko. Give her an actual interesting plotline, I say.

As for the New Ozai Society, I hope they're used purely for comic relief at this point. Like, they can be the local Men's Club, and the members can come together to gripe about Zuko and hold roasts for each other on birthdays, but they don't actually rebel. Every so often they run a fundraising campaign to hire an assassin to go after Zuko, but they get into comic misadventures and lose most of their money, and the one time they make enough to hire a decent killer, they realize they're not registered as a non-profit and so have to pay taxes to the Fire Lord on the earnings, leaving them with too little again.

Even if it's done poorly, it'd be better than every joke involving Sokka in the comics so far.

Funkybender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #17 on: Jul 31, 2014 06:00 pm »

Ozai is toast. His time has come and gone, and we know how any confrontation between him and Zuko + friends would play out. The Fire Nation generals aren't stupid either, and most have probably accepted that an Ozai-led coup is bound to fail as long as Aang is around. Plus, if Zuko hasn't dismissed them yet or given them a desk job like Mai's father got, things can only get worse if they rebel.

As for the New Ozai Society, I hope they're used purely for comic relief at this point. Like, they can be the local Men's Club, and the members can come together to gripe about Zuko and hold roasts for each other on birthdays, but they don't actually rebel. Every so often they run a fundraising campaign to hire an assassin to go after Zuko, but they get into comic misadventures and lose most of their money, and the one time they make enough to hire a decent killer, they realize they're not registered as a non-profit and so have to pay taxes to the Fire Lord on the earnings, leaving them with too little again.

Yeah, can you just go ahead and write the unofficial fourth trilogy? Copyright law be damned.  Grin
johnf12
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #18 on: Jul 31, 2014 08:11 pm »

Gene Yang and the other authors writing comics about the Avatar world in the post-war don't seem to really care about exploring the political turmoil the Fire Nation would obviously be experiencing. Most of these post-war comics focus on the relationships between the main characters and the FN political turmoil is pretty much danced around. It is just used as a gimmick when the plot calls for it (such as the New Ozai Society which was a joke. It was a plot device to reinforce Mai's feelings for Zuko), but for the most part, the FN is portrayed as oddly taking Zuko's ascension to the throne rather well despite all the propaganda they have been indoctrinated with to support Ozai and his war and see Zuko as a disgraced traitor.

I highly doubt we will see a serious story where the FN experiences extreme civil unrest and Zuko's claim to the throne is seriously threatened. The Promise seems to be the most we will get.
Fate
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Avvy made by caves.

« Reply #19 on: Jul 31, 2014 11:07 pm »

Right now maybe not, depending of how deep and powerful Ozai's supporters are (more than the New Ozai Society). As time goes on, and the people get used to all the changes coming from the end of the war and get used to Zuko's rule; I think Ozai will become irrelevant eventually.

For the purposes of story, the Fire Nation might just move on.  But that's not realistic.  The War has been their culture, their reality, for 100 years.  For four generations, their sons and daughters have been dying in foreign lands, and they had attained all but total victory.  And then, suddenly, in one day--the day that should have seen their final victory--they lost.  A traitor comes to the Throne and declared the War over.

It's easy to say, from a TV viewer's perspective, that Aang and Zuko are the good guys and they are doing the best thing for the world, etc. etc. etc.  But if I'm honest with myself, I know that if I was a Fire Nation citizen or a soldier, I doubt I could ever let that go.  I'd probably never move on.

And in order for Ozai to become irrelevant, the people need to see his removal as legitimate.  They have to realize that their nation was in the wrong all along, and that such new changes are right for their society.  This is unlikely, given the popularity of the war, the devotion to the Fire Lord, the endless propaganda the people have been inundated with since childhood, and the fact that all their lives they believed in this war--this war that only yesterday they were poised to win.
« Last Edit: Jul 31, 2014 11:18 pm by Fate » Logged
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #20 on: Aug 02, 2014 01:25 pm »

However, you haven't been raised to almost literally worship the office of Fire Lord and treat anything someone with the title says as absolute truth.

I think most of the Fire Nation is more confused than anything, post-finale.

Clowngoon
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #21 on: Aug 08, 2014 02:50 am »

I'm still hoping Ozai isn't finished. There's probably some consequence from Aang not killing Ozai. The Promise sort of built on that.

"Some friendships can transcend through lifetimes."

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character."
zoro07
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #22 on: Aug 18, 2014 07:28 pm »

Why tie Azula to that? The most boring, predictable thing for her to do at this point would be to try to overthrow Zuko. Give her an actual interesting plotline, I say.

Well, that's only if it's done unimaginatively.

It could be interesting for Azula's character if she's torn between wanting to reconcile with Ursa/Zuko/Mai & Ty Lee (and becoming a full on good guy) with the desire she's always had to please her father. Conflicting loyalties, Azula maybe even having a spiritual crisis (like Zuko did) and having to decide who she really wants to be. And it could even ultimately end with Azula siding with Zuko and being the key player in taking down the New Ozai Society. Or maybe she pretends to be loyal to the new Ozai society but is really a double agent or is unsure whose side she's really one.

IMO there are ways to do it that could be interesting.
Solid Sun
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

dio did nothing wrong

« Reply #23 on: Aug 19, 2014 03:10 am »

A plot twist would be that Azula refuse to be a good guy and is defeated and locked away again, as insane as ever and now forgotten by everyone she knew.

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #24 on: Aug 19, 2014 06:27 pm »

Why does Azula have to be good or bad? Can't she just go do something else? She can be an elected official in the United Republic somewhere, constantly causing trouble for Aang both out of general contrariness and a desire to protect her constituents from his bone-headed take on political theory. (Constituents who she makes bow to her and bring her pitted cherries. And the rumors about public executions are greatly exaggerated. Punishments are limited to public caning.)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: