Mar 27, 2017 02:27 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Episode:
10 - 126 (78.3%)
9 - 23 (14.3%)
8 - 5 (3.1%)
7 - 2 (1.2%)
6 - 1 (0.6%)
5 - 1 (0.6%)
4 - 2 (1.2%)
3 - 0 (0%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 1 (0.6%)
Total Voters: 161

Pages: next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [313] Venom of the Red Lotus  (Read 45088 times)
SMBH
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Lord Zuko is not amused

« on: Jul 17, 2014 05:16 pm »

Release date: 22 August 2014

Summary: Korra has been captured by the Red Lotus, but they severely underestimate the power of Korra's Avatar State.

Discuss!
« Last Edit: Sep 28, 2014 03:19 pm by SMBH » Logged

ATLA Keeps: Kuei's necklace, Pandalilies, Zhaodburns, Sokka's DoBS speech
TLOK Keeps: Sparkly bush, Aang's statue, Korrlok, Asami's racetrack
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #1 on: Aug 22, 2014 06:47 am »

Thread unlocked and moved to Spoilers board.

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Solariz
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #2 on: Aug 22, 2014 06:50 am »

Not sure what to think of the final shot.

It looks like Korra is extremely exhausted, both physically and mentally. Pretty sure the next book will be dealing with Korra climbing out of this particular funk.

Technically she beat Zaheer, but she did not come out of this fight looking like her old self.
sokkaboomerang
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #3 on: Aug 22, 2014 06:51 am »

well vaatu is growing inside korra and shes struggling
Robotman
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #4 on: Aug 22, 2014 06:51 am »

Fantastic season. The fight scenes were brilliant. Mako finally used lightning. Sad ending even though I am not entirely sure why Korra was so upset... Only thing I disliked was that stupid tornado they used to beat Zaheer, that was really dumb. Apart from that it was fantastic.

HAIL KUVIRA! THE GREAT UNITER!
TheXenoXenin
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

You know you want them.

« Reply #5 on: Aug 22, 2014 06:52 am »

Wow. Korra so.. different.

I wonder how the next book will handle this, while also juggling around the villains without Korra just bending them to smithereens.

Um.. where did that take place, in this episode?
« Last Edit: Aug 22, 2014 06:55 am by TheXenoXenin » Logged
Solariz
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #6 on: Aug 22, 2014 06:54 am »

Vaatu was just apart of her hallucination. The poison caused her body to freak out; it makes sense that in those moments of utter fear she faced all of her past demons at the same time..

btw Tonraq is an amazing daddy  Cry
magnuskn
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #7 on: Aug 22, 2014 06:57 am »

Alright, amazing couple of episodes. I'll be mainly talking about the last one, since the things with major repercussions happened in this one.

- I don't think the giant tornado was "dumb" at all. Nor was it a deus ex machina.

- The writers definitely left some pretty big things unsaid, so that we have a lot of speculation until S4. Has Korra lost her use of the avatar state? Is she just exhausted? Is she paralyzed? What is up with her at the end exactly? She definitely seems to be too much in a depressed state for it to be just exhaustion.

- Uh, was that a hint of Korrasami at the end when Asami was helping Korra get ready for the ceremony?

- It was pretty clear that Bolin would learn to lavabend. Good to see that he finally got an upgrade. Oh, and Mako remembered that he can lightning bend, too. ^^
Zuko0712
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #8 on: Aug 22, 2014 06:58 am »

I'm sorry but this finale wasn't very good. Am I the only one who expected Zaheer to have some sort of master plan for the avatar and then his plan just ends up being that he wants to kill her. Didn't he say at one point him and his gang wanted to teach her the elements. I would say Zaheer's motive for capturing Korra was a huge letdown. And why did Zaheer just not give up the airbenders if he wanted Korra why were they so important. Also, the fact that Zaheer continued to keep the airbenders in captivity kind of went against his entire argument as wanting citizens to be free. So yeah my main problem is how the finished things with Zaheer it just felt really out of place from what they were putting together all season long.

My second problem was that member of the metalbenders who helped out Tonraq. Like the finale of a season doesn't seem like the right time to introduce new characters. Maybe she will have some importance in book 4, but if that's the case why couldn't they have waited till book 4 to introduce her.
TheXenoXenin
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

You know you want them.

« Reply #9 on: Aug 22, 2014 06:59 am »

That episode was just.. Shocked

This episode really took out differently compared to how, I thought it was going to finish. It was heartbreaking seeing Korra so beaten down, both physically and mentally. =(

Also, are the Red Lotus the villans for next season? Maybe they'll avenge Zaheer and his gang? How will the world adapt, with the avatar being in such a state? How is Ba Sing Se? So many questions..... >_<

This wait is going to be so grueling. Sad
Saturius
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #10 on: Aug 22, 2014 07:01 am »

I think the finale had interesting implications for the future, but I honestly found it disappointing.  The Red Lotus' master plan was too simple.  Kill her in the Avatar State?  I was hoping for something better than that.  The Air Tornado was awful. Just awful.  I guess they wanted the Aribenders to do something, but it didn't work at all.  

Jinora getting her tattoos also fell short.  Maybe if she hadn't been reduced to being a damsel in distress all season the moment would have been more powerful, instead it fell flat for me.  

I do like that things weren't tied up in a neat little bow though.  It really looks like consequences will be followed through in the next season. I really hope so cause I didn't like how they basically ignored the Equalist issue in season 2, and the spirits issue in season 3. But Korra's mental and physical state going into season 4 is going to be really interesting.  I'm excited to see them tackle that and the potential psychological issues she might be going through.

Honestly, I thought season 2's ending was FAR better than the 3rd season. And I'm actually leaning towards thinking season 2 was better overall than season 3.  I just don't think season 3's story was all that strong and we learned NOTHING about the 4 major villains.  They turned out to jest be henchman with really no development except for Zaheer.  I'll have to give the whole season a rewatch to really gauge how I feel about the whole thing.
« Last Edit: Aug 22, 2014 07:03 am by Saturius » Logged
HaZardous
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #11 on: Aug 22, 2014 07:02 am »

The tornado bit was completely fine imo, it's realistic a group of 10 or more benders together can make a tornado like that. Aang could've probably done something like that by himself if he tried. The bit that was annoying is how the posion conveniently turned out to be metallic. I mean, what are the chances?? I mean, how many metallic posions do you know in real life that people actually use to kill people. Plus, metallic poisons are much more easier to get out of the system than a ordinary liquid posion since it'd be harder for a waterbender to distinguish the poison from ordinary water than for a metalbender to find out metal in the body. Plot convenience at its finest.
sokkaboomerang
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #12 on: Aug 22, 2014 07:05 am »

so zaheer can fly with korra but falls with little ice on his leg?
Fire Rose
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #13 on: Aug 22, 2014 07:12 am »

Wow........

What an ending.

Korra won the fight but now she has some major PTSD. I wonder how what's going to make her get out of the wheel chair (she's only emotionally paralyzed, right? She can walk again).

Onto random bits. Why do I get the feeling that Zaofu guard is going to have some sort of importance later on since they had the need to tell us her name?

I still find Raiko to be an ass. "I officially welcome you back to RC?" Just shut up. She doesn't need your pity.

It's kind of nice to see that Asami has somewhat found her role in Team Avatar as Korra's confidant. It may not be much but it's a start to have her be more involved and finally get some character development.

Jinora now looks too much like Aang. It's going to be weird.

It was a finale. Now we have to play the waiting game one last time.
sokkaboomerang
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #14 on: Aug 22, 2014 07:17 am »

Wow. Korra so.. different.

I wonder how the next book will handle this, while also juggling around the villains without Korra just bending them to smithereens.

Um.. where did that take place, in this episode?
i meant the tears at the end , i think inner battle inside her :/ just a speculation
Solariz
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #15 on: Aug 22, 2014 07:18 am »

I wanted to punch Raiko. Dude shut up...if Korra wasn't emotionally exhausted and in a wheel chair, she would slap the stupid off of you.

Speaking of wheelchair, I'm pretty are she's using it because she's still very weak and cannot walk on her own yet. Tenzin even said "she will be alright. She just needs to rest" or something along those lines.

I honestly thought Korra broke her legs when Zaheer pushed her on the final rock peak. They made it a point to show us that she landed hard. The fact that she landed legs first made me cringe >_<
TheXenoXenin
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

You know you want them.

« Reply #16 on: Aug 22, 2014 07:19 am »

Did anyone else notice during Jinora's tattoo ceremony that the guy that lived in his mom's basement, is a part of the air nation now? Just a little easter egg. Grin

It's going to be weird to adapt to Jinora, with her hair gone; I really liked it.

It's getting really late here, so I'm a bit too tried to write a full review of these episodes.
AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #17 on: Aug 22, 2014 07:23 am »

- The writers definitely left some pretty big things unsaid, so that we have a lot of speculation until S4. Has Korra lost her use of the avatar state? Is she just exhausted? Is she paralyzed? What is up with her at the end exactly? She definitely seems to be too much in a depressed state for it to be just exhaustion.

I think this Book put a lot of focus on how... unneeded Korra is as the Avatar. She achieved literary nothing in the whole Book on her own, hell, she achieved nothing on her own in the whole show so far! Every time someone had to step in and save the day in one way or another. In my opinion, the ending is about Korra realizing this: it isn't that the world doesn't need the Avatar, but Korra is simply not enough for the task. This is pretty much the conclusion of the Book, and I think this "theme" was present in the two previous Books too.

Otherwise, this finale is the best of TLOK, hands down. Zaheer's ultimate plan was kinda' dumb and messy in relation of what he had done until then, but whatever.  The whole Book wrapped up quite nicely, and it made some stuff in the previous Books quite interesting (especially regarding the "Korra is not the Avatar you need" thing mentioned above). Kai was mega-pointless for the narrative though... They should have given his role to Ikki and Meelo.

Both the finale and the Book is a 8/10 for me, the same as for ATLA Book 3.

Keeper of Suki's firebending ancestry, the Kyoshi Warrior dojo, the love potion made from rainbows and sunsets and the mecha tanks.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
Mulan95
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #18 on: Aug 22, 2014 07:23 am »

I'm not really sure how to feel about the finale...as a lot of people said before, I was disappointed about Zaheer's plan..I expected something more...tricky?? But I loved the relatonship and interaction  between Korra and her father. Am I the only one who is disappointed that there wasn't a scene with Korra and Mako in the end? It seemed like Mako didn't really care about Korra..

\\\"True wisdom begins when we accept things as they are.\\\" -Tenzin
magnuskn
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #19 on: Aug 22, 2014 07:24 am »

Yeah, I hope Jinora grows  the hair back. It's not as if every airbender ever has been bald.
Fire Rose
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #20 on: Aug 22, 2014 07:28 am »

^^Not this again with the Mako "doesn't care about Korra." They had a moment in 312 so I'm going to take this as a hope spot. Right now there's nothing that ANYONE can do for her at this point. Korra is probably going to give everyone the silent treatment until she finds the will to (metaphorically) stand up again.
magnuskn
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #21 on: Aug 22, 2014 07:31 am »

I think this Book put a lot of focus on how... unneeded Korra is as the Avatar. She achieved literary nothing in the whole Book on her own, hell, she achieved nothing on her own in the whole show so far! Every time someone had to step in and save the day in one way or another.

I think that goes way too far. She brought back the spirits into the world, which is a feat which nobody has done before. She stopped Amon, she stopped Unalaq and Vaatu. Yes, that Vaatu got free again was a bit on her and she had help along all the time... but I don't think "having friends who help you" is some sort of weakness at all.

If she hadn't been there, Amon would have run amok, Unalaq may have found a way to bring back Vaatu on his own and the spirits would still be separated from the material world. She definitely has had a big impact on the world.
Valiere
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #22 on: Aug 22, 2014 07:37 am »

The finale was kind of a letdown to me. I was expecting Zaheer's plan to involve some complex Spirit World shenanigans, maybe involving Guru Laghima or Xai Bau...but no, it's literally the very first thing you'd expect them to do with the Avatar. Nothing else. No mystery.

And the Red Lotus Four are done. So disappointing, since they took the time to humanize them throughout the season, and it never amounted to anything in the end. We'll never really know their stories. Such cool villains they gave us such amazing fight scenes -- but nope, onward to the next guy! Each season must have its own antagonist!

No sacrifice...The heroes lost nothing of value. Everyone was expecting this to be such a heart-wrenching finale, and instead the creators went safe, very safe.

And there's no way to make flying Zaheer not comical. But even then, they could have handled something like that better.

I still think this was a great season and will be looking forward to the next one, but they could have thought this one through way more.
« Last Edit: Aug 22, 2014 07:40 am by Valiere » Logged
HaZardous
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #23 on: Aug 22, 2014 07:38 am »

I think the finale had interesting implications for the future, but I honestly found it disappointing.  The Red Lotus' master plan was too simple.  Kill her in the Avatar State?  I was hoping for something better than that. 

Yeah, killing her in the Avatar State is such an obvious and cookie-cutter plan I hoped they would do something different. Not that it's a bad plan or anything, it just feels like it could've been so much more. Also doesn't feel a plan like that deserved the season-long hype when anyone could've guessed it.

That awesome animation in the finale though, Studio Mir really went all-out for this one. Probably even more than they ever did for Book 1 or 2.
Zulong
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #24 on: Aug 22, 2014 07:39 am »

This was the best finale of TLA and LoK. I don't understand why others thought it was so sad though, Korra managed to survive and Jinora's a master

Edit: Also sorry for posting that thread in LoK forums
Pages: next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: