Sep 25, 2017 03:30 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Episode:
10 - 25 (40.3%)
9 - 15 (24.2%)
8 - 13 (21%)
7 - 6 (9.7%)
6 - 1 (1.6%)
5 - 0 (0%)
4 - 1 (1.6%)
3 - 0 (0%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 1 (1.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « previous page   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [307] Original Airbenders  (Read 29355 times)
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #375 on: Jul 24, 2014 08:16 pm »

Personally, I don't know any criminal who wouldn't knife anyone who messed with their girlfriend. It's just part of Kai's archetype; street rats with no sense of law are very big on enforcing their own version of justice and revenge, because it's the only thing they believe in that can give them any kind of safety.

Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #376 on: Jul 25, 2014 12:48 am »

Ahh I loved those baby bisons! So cute and it makes me want to buy an appa plush from amazon.
zukataang
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #377 on: Jul 26, 2014 05:00 pm »

Just saw this episode.

So, a bald head is to airbenders what feet are to Toph. Nice! Grin I like how the guy who was "mislead" into shaving his head (LOL) was advising the other airbenders to get theirs shaved too by the end of the episode, thus proving Pema’s point about patience and the fact that the airbenders will eventually come around.

Did we even ever get a moment like this Penzin scene before in the show? Finally, Pema and Tenzin weren’t just a mom and a dad/mentor, but a husband and a wife to each other, on screen. They look great together, and that kiss between them gave me such feelz! Cheesy It was nice to see Tenzin step out of his teacher role and let out his feelings to an equal. The way he cringed and apologized when Pema silently called him out on how he was slipping into his habitual teacher role again was an effective (and hilarious) way of conveying how much respect he has for her and the fact that they are on equal footage. I like how he gets irritable or even a little patronizing with everyone except with her. I didn't really care so much before, but just this scene’s made me into a real Penzin shipper now.

The little parallel Tenzin drew with Korra and how she feels when he talks to her was amusing too and I liked the other parallel with Korra’s “Conflict resolution, it’s what I do” line. It immediately made me think of this moment. Yes, I'm a sucker for ATLA references ^^. LOK is its own show and I know that, but it still comes from somewhere and I like seeing these roots being acknowledged.

And of course, Tenzin speaking about how Bumi reminds him of Aang was a feelz-giver too. The fact that Tenzin wasn’t beating himself up over the shortcoming he just acknowledged he had compared to Aang in that moment also showed how much he had grown in that area, and for that, I was happy for him.

His awful leadership made me even more curious as to how he managed to grow into someone so serious while having a goofball as a brother and father and a sarcastic fun-loving mom and sister (based on Katara and Aang's teenager selves). But I like a lot that he is very different from Aang. Some people are just born with a certain disposition that upbringing or environment can’t change ("Cool is something you're born with." Cheesy). I suspect that the stress of being responsible for a whole culture is partly responsible for him turning into the rather impatient and easily frustrated person that he is, though. And it's interesting that despite his flaws and his ineptitude, he remains such a likable character because his intentions are good.

Now I’m even more hungry for childhood scenes of the kataang kids, just to see how Katara and Aang dealt with his peculiar temperament. Tenzin was such a draconian disaster he might as well have been Meelo, who, by the way, once more did not miss an opportunity to show us that he really is the second coming of Hitler. I couldn’t lol at his “Look to your left/right, one of them won’t make it out alive” line because I've heard people say that so much (well, the gist of it Tongue) it has become trite, but all the sadistic evilz written all over his face as he smashed melons in people’s faces had me go “he’s at it again!” and laugh Cheesy. I don’t remember the first episodes well, but he was a normal child back then, wasn't he? What made him into this? And Ikki appeared to be smiling in sadistic pleasure with him.

As for the only normal child left, Jinora’s, she's growing up! I felt bad for Tenzin when she rebelled against him (and said he would never be as good as her with spirits. Ouch), but it was a good thing that she spoke her mind. Jinora has been shown to have a little bit of an edge under her appearance of the intelligent, well-behaved child when she bullied her little sister into running away and refused to promise that she wouldn't become a wild teenager (Cheesy), so her storming off and doing her own thing was fitting for her character. And it was refreshing, because she'd been getting the most attention for her special powers instead of herself, her personal story, and that needed to change. This episode still didn’t make me fall in love with her character and I frankly don’t think I ever will (she's a little more boring than the other characters and her voice... Oh my, her voice. ATLA was good at finding colorful voices and so is LOK in general, but Jinora's voice actress just sounds so bland), but it’s better than nothing.

Along with being strikingly Lion King-y (yellow clad brown haired/eyed girl, underestimated by her father, runs away in a landscape of abundant greenery with adventurous brown skinned green eyed boy with a dark past and gets herself into trouble... I just couldn’t stop thinking about it!), the Kainora scenes also made me a little more open to this ship. Okay, they look good together, but I still mind a lot that Jinora didn’t address Kai’s bratty attitude (doesn’t she mind that she’s dating a major serial robber who trapped Mako and Bolin into a train without a way back? Was she even told? If not, why not? If they know, the krew should be keeping a particular eye on him or at least talk it out with him so as to make sure that he won’t do something like that again, but it’s like it just never happened) and the aggression with which he handled the main villain of this episode, the skybison thief, made me even more wary of him. His bond with Jinora doesn't seem strong enough to make him being that aggressive not suspicious, unlike Aang in The Desert or something.
I'm pretty convinced that he genuinely cares for her though. Right now it looks like he's trying to be good, but he has a dark side to him that he just can’t totally control. I hope Bryke & co. don’t expect us to just take him as he is without question and plan on making him and Jinora (or someone else, but preferably her for bonding purposes) have a discussion about his past to make him less of a weird lovable hero/despicable brat hybrid and more of a relatable character instead.

It surprised me that Tenzin never had anything against him and didn’t seem wary of him even a little, even after finding out that him and Jinora were headed towards becoming an item. I thought that he was going to comment on how he appreciated that he expressed so much care for Jinora and tried to protect her after the fight, but he commented on his airbending technique instead… That seems to confirms that the krew doesn't know what Kai did in Ba Sing Se. But even then, the fact that he's stolen from the family that welcomed him should still make him wary as a dad. I hope he'll have some kind of reaction in the future.

The whole skybison thief plot felt a little contrived, though. I mean, a net got in the way of them defending themselves with airbending? Kai is a newbie, but even Jinora looked completely powerless, too. She could have airbended from inside the cage. It's a cage. It has holes in it. Aang blew Zhao away from across the room while restrained and she's an advanced bender who Tenzin is seriously considering giving tattoos to. I get that they needed a villain that the air nation could unite and fight against, but I think it would have been more believable if the villains had used realistically efficient tools against them, not tools that were efficient because the plot demanded it.

That's a more minor thing, but I would also have preferred that only one skybison baby started to fly by the end. It just felt a little too convenient (and borderline cheesy, sorry) that ALL OF THEM (minus one) suddenly figured out how to do it right then in that specific moment when Tenzin was talking about growing up. But it was cute anyway.

That skybison pelt the villain was wearing though! I don't know much about how turning pelts into clothes works and all the outrage there is around fur makes me suspect that that's not how it works at all, but I'll just take it that the baby bison was already dead when he took it. Sad

And that Basco getting eaten by the Earth Queen was just a rumor.

Random other thoughts that didn’t fit anywhere:

The guy who knew all the answers was (an) OTAKU. Cheesy

Squeaky spirits are the cutest things! So are baby skybison falling from cages (as long as they're okay, like this one was)! Cheesy

Why do none of the lemurs resemble Momo? It's been 70 years, Darwinian evolution isn't that fast. Sad

There are wild flying bisons? Hoards of giant, super strong, wild animals with horns flying around? It's the equivalent of elephants flying about out of control in our world... doesn’t that scare anyone?

This episode is a 7.5/10.
Ms.WW
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #378 on: Jul 28, 2014 09:57 pm »

Ah, yes. The pemzin scene was very satisfying.  Cheesy This whole episode was very satisfying. I loved getting all the new insight into the Air Nomad culture. I also liked how they showed what meditation can be like sometimes (especially in the beginning) during Tenzin's private session. Though I don't think one would normally be saying the thoughts outloud, it wouldn't have connected with the audience nearly as well otherwise. Maybe speaking your thoughts out loud is a specific meditation technique. I might have to try it sometime.

As a big fan of Tenzin and the airbenders in general, this is by far in my top five episodes of Korra.

Also, Daw is extremely adorable. I'm glad he's a reoccurring character.

My keeps: Korra & Tenzin's relationship, Tenzin's air wheel, Tenzin's locket of Guru Laghima, Tenzin's lecture on Monk Tang Xu's historic fast
fireywaters
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Peace on Avatar, before peace in real life

« Reply #379 on: Jul 31, 2014 08:48 pm »

When the guy told Tenzin that Jinorra went somewhere with her boyfriend, and Tenzin said "Kai", I thought it was about to do a Wrath Of Khan scream. "Kai Kai, Kaiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!"

Peace between the Fire Nation and the other nations, before peace in our world
djinn
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Fish genetics is a very small field

« Reply #380 on: Aug 02, 2014 06:19 am »

Wow.

This is all I've ever wanted from Avatar. A whole episode devoted to Air Nomads? YES PLEASE. My favourite benders/culture in the avatar universe, it's nice to see them get some quality time in LoK. I loved the small details in this: Otaku ( Cheesy ), shaving, Pemzin, sibling bonding, Jinora and her adorable "I'm 12 years old, that means I'm an adult" attitude, tattoos, skybison...this episode is my kind of jam.

Shout out to Korra channeling Aang: "Conflict resolution; it's what I do." LOL

Also unintentional hilarity from the Earth Queen supposedly eating Bosco Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy to say it's kinda spoilers for my fic, Ursus Arctos, is kinda giving things away Cheesy But I'm glad to see Bryke and I think on the same wavelengths here Grin

Personal bias makes this 10/10

objectively? 7.5/10

fraroc
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #381 on: Aug 08, 2014 04:43 pm »

Well it looks like Miss Queenie Smugface got her comeuppance from eating Bosco and all the baby bison.
Koksor
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #382 on: Aug 26, 2014 06:41 pm »

I think that a flashback of how tenzin got his tatoos including the ceremony with Aang while Tenzin was trying to meditate after Jinora asked for her tatoos would have been awesome in this episode.

zukataang
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #383 on: Aug 27, 2014 04:19 pm »

^So true. Seems like flashbacks of the gaang isn't something the writers think about anymore. We didn't get any in the two last seasons. Undecided

Edit: Besides the Toph ones.
« Last Edit: Aug 31, 2014 07:31 pm by zukataang » Logged
Weege the Airbender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Airbender for Life

« Reply #384 on: Aug 30, 2014 09:34 am »

Even though I thoroughly enjoyed this episode, I feel like it was pretty much pure filler. A filler episode about the Red Lotus gang's backstory would be a better use of an episode. 

"I told you I would destroy you."
"With you out of the way, I will be the one true Avatar."
"Your name will echo throughout history: Korra, the last Avatar."
TheXenoXenin
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

You know you want them.

« Reply #385 on: Aug 30, 2014 05:49 pm »

Even though I thoroughly enjoyed this episode, I feel like it was pretty much pure filler. A filler episode about the Red Lotus gang's backstory would be a better use of an episode. 

It would be been great lead up to 308 when they infiltrate Zaofu. However the writers barely ever use flashbacks. Undecided
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #386 on: Sep 01, 2014 02:32 pm »

Why do you say that? The Red Lotus' backstory is completely superfluous to any of Book Change's story, and the characterization and contextualization of Tenzin here definitely feeds into his later actions and the danger the Air Nomads are in.

ByStorm
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Look with favor upon a bold beginning.

« Reply #387 on: Sep 03, 2014 11:58 pm »

^So true. Seems like flashbacks of the gaang isn't something the writers think about anymore. We didn't get any in the two last seasons. Undecided

Edit: Besides the Toph ones.

I believe its for the best, in my honest opinion. If the writers allow a few to come in, it might detract the story to focus on the old team instead of the new one in Korra's era. As much as I personally want more of Aang and the rest, I'm not sure the show could handle another scene and subplot. I felt at times that Zuko dragged the season down save for the scene where Korra mentioned talking to Iroh. I would rather they have cut Zuko's appearances to the first one in 201, , skimmed his appearances in the desert to those with Korra. Then again, I would have cut Bolin's stupidity in his introduction to Zuko and perhaps have Mako be the one who acts like an idiot for a change. Have him in the finale where Jinora gets her tattoos, and that's it.

"For after this manner in the old time the holy women also, who trusted God, adorned themselves, being in subjection to their owl husbands." - The Owl Bible , 1 Strigidae Bubo 3:5. Taken from a typo in 1 Peter 3:5.
JuDee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

^Credit to INTJf

« Reply #388 on: Nov 20, 2014 02:21 am »

Hahaha Tenzin going militaristic was really exciting to watch!

Keeps : Female Air Nomad's robe, Aang's Fire Nation school outfit, Joo Dee's official tour guide robe and The Day of Black Sun.
fraroc
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #389 on: Nov 20, 2014 07:20 am »

You see, I think that if anything, TENZIN was bordering on abuse in this episode, NOT Toph in The Coronation.
JuDee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

^Credit to INTJf

« Reply #390 on: Nov 20, 2014 10:20 pm »

You see, I think that if anything, TENZIN was bordering on abuse in this episode, NOT Toph in The Coronation.
Lol what? I think you are one of the best examples of post-modern hypersensitive persona, my friend!

I really see nothing super extraordinary, blown-up-worthy issue in any of Tenzin's act in this episode.
Herding a group of semi-unwilling people into learning something new is totally different from tutoring a folk or two. And looking at how much responsibility he has to bear, the gravity of the objective in making those people LEARN... a bit of trial and error in the teaching method is highly plausible.

Keeps : Female Air Nomad's robe, Aang's Fire Nation school outfit, Joo Dee's official tour guide robe and The Day of Black Sun.
fraroc
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #391 on: Nov 23, 2014 08:41 am »

Lol what? I think you are one of the best examples of post-modern hypersensitive persona, my friend!

I really see nothing super extraordinary, blown-up-worthy issue in any of Tenzin's act in this episode.
Herding a group of semi-unwilling people into learning something new is totally different from tutoring a folk or two. And looking at how much responsibility he has to bear, the gravity of the objective in making those people LEARN... a bit of trial and error in the teaching method is highly plausible.

But don't you agree that his whole militaristic thing was really out of character for Tenzin, who may I remind you, is Mr. Spiritual/Patience? Toph was being her cranky old self.
The Mug Mugger
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Adult Toph is HAWT!

« Reply #392 on: Nov 23, 2014 11:14 am »

But don't you agree that his whole militaristic thing was really out of character for Tenzin, who may I remind you, is Mr. Spiritual/Patience? Toph was being her cranky old self.

It was out of character for Tenzin. this was intentional by the writers. Tenzin didn't see being patience working very well for the new air benders so he decided to change his approach. What is in character for Tenzin is that he's so dedicated to guide people towards their goals, so he completely changed his signature "spiritual" approach when mentoring people and tried something completely out of left field for him because he's so desperate to get the Air Nation back on track.
fraroc
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #393 on: Dec 05, 2014 09:20 pm »

By the way, I'm not accusing Tenzin of being an abuser....again. I was simply pointing out that his actions in this episode towards the other airbenders tread the fine line of abuse as opposed to Toph being her sassy old self to Korra.
Esperaholon
On Probation
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #394 on: Jan 08, 2015 04:45 pm »

By the way, I'm not accusing Tenzin of being an abuser....again. I was simply pointing out that his actions in this episode towards the other airbenders tread the fine line of abuse as opposed to Toph being her sassy old self to Korra.

And that continues to be absurd. Because he basically had bootcamp - obstecle courses, marches that go on for miles, and shaving the head... Like it was basically a parody and it's not like he told them they were worthless crybabies who need to get over being nearly murdered while knowing the entire time that they happen to be physically hindered by a neurotoxin trapped within them... Just saying.

I can see you like Toph, but she was being an abusive pain in the rear and I hated her - ATLA!Toph would hate her as well. ATLA!Everyone would hate her, and also FlashbackLOK!Toph would probably hate her as well. Because seriously why spend time smacking someone around when you can just get to the life lesson and the metalbending cure magic? Tch.
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #395 on: Mar 10, 2015 08:30 pm »

In light of the Book 4 commentary...

They say the bear in the Little Ba Sing Se Palace was taxidermy, or more likely just plastic.
Tim: “The queen ate the real one.”
Bryan: “She even ate the fur.”

RIP Bosco. T_T

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
The_Xov
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #396 on: Mar 11, 2015 02:02 am »

Someone explain how one eats fur. lol

Also...is it really that horrible that she ate the retired circus-bear wannabe?

iKeep: The Airbending Wipeout Obstacle Course from Original Airbenders!
That bastard formerly known as mike50333
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #397 on: Mar 11, 2015 02:13 am »

Speaking of fur, isn't she allergic to dander in the first place? Why would she eat fur if she's allergic? Unless that caused her to develop an allergy after eating it. That happens.

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
djinn
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Fish genetics is a very small field

« Reply #398 on: Mar 11, 2015 03:41 am »

In light of the Book 4 commentary...

They say the bear in the Little Ba Sing Se Palace was taxidermy, or more likely just plastic.
Tim: “The queen ate the real one.”
Bryan: “She even ate the fur.”

RIP Bosco. T_T
This is amazing, I love it. Fuel for my fic.

Pages: « previous page   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: