Sep 25, 2017 03:26 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Episode:
10 - 25 (40.3%)
9 - 15 (24.2%)
8 - 13 (21%)
7 - 6 (9.7%)
6 - 1 (1.6%)
5 - 0 (0%)
4 - 1 (1.6%)
3 - 0 (0%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 1 (1.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [307] Original Airbenders  (Read 29354 times)
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I can't think of anything clever to say.

« Reply #350 on: Jul 21, 2014 05:01 pm »

Man, I log off for a day and this thread took a dive. Did we really just spend two pages arguing about whether or not the genocide of a culture is alright? Shocked

Um, anyway... Undecided

Yeah, I was excited for Jessie Flower, but then I was a bit disappointing. Not that the acting was bad, I just thought I'd hear more of Toph voice. It's a simple nitpick xDD

I actually heard Toph's voice just fine. Remember its been like 5 or 6 years since Jesse recorded line for Toph. It simply sounded like her being a little older which makes sense since the actor is now older and the character she was portraying was a little older.

I actually would have been a little weirder out if it didn't sound like it did. I thought it was perfect honestly.

So, who on the staff hates Tenzin?  Because he hasn't gotten any characterization that makes him look thoroughly competent since Book One.  Sad

I actually love Tenzin. Yeah, he has some obvious character flaws but his heart is in the right place. And I disagree about him being incompetent since Book One. He struggles but he eventually comes around and gets the job done. Always.
« Last Edit: Jul 21, 2014 05:10 pm by Avatar Epsilon » Logged

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character." (As said by me)
ViridianIV
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #351 on: Jul 21, 2014 05:01 pm »

^ How humane of you.

Humanity's got nothing to do with it.

Man, I log off for a day and this thread took a dive. Do we really just spend two pages arguing about whether or not the genocide of a culture is alright? Shocked

Um, anyway... Undecided

You'd think but apparently to some people this is still a question.

Yeah, I was excited for Jessie Flower, but then I was a bit disappointing. Not that the acting was bad, I just thought I'd hear more of Toph voice. It's a simple nitpick xDD

I actually heard Toph's voice just fine. Remember its been like 5 or 6 years since Jesse recorded line for Toph. It simply sounded like her being a little older which makes sense since the actor is now older and the character she was portraying was a little older.

I actually would have been a little weirder out if it didn't sound like it did. I thought it was perfect honestly.

I'm not usually one to leap down fantastical conclusions here, but this actually makes me wonder if maybe Toph really DID have a one night stand with Zuko somewhere down the line...  I mean they've been using the VA's for the younger roles to call back on the characters a lot.  You had Zuko as Iroh, you have Toph as Su... and then there's Azula as Lin.... the only thing is they use Grey DeIsle a lot for spirits and Ming Hue, so I'm sure I'm putting to much into it... but I'm no longer 100% convinced like I was before.
« Last Edit: Jul 21, 2014 05:05 pm by ViridianIV » Logged

\"That woman is my hero.\"
Ronny
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #352 on: Jul 21, 2014 05:03 pm »

So, who on the staff hates Tenzin?  Because he hasn't gotten any characterization that makes him look thoroughly competent since Book One.  Sad
To be honest, I don't think he's meant to look competent at this point, but rather appear in a more doddering, harmless light, as a father trying to keep up with his growing children and a paternal influence on Korra.
He's really the emotional centre of the show Smiley
Blue22
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #353 on: Jul 21, 2014 05:10 pm »

I like him when he's in comical situations. Any other time I'm just indifferent about him. I know people change as they get older and we're not all carbon copies of our parents but I still have a hard time accepting that he's Aang and Katara's son. I don't see any of them in him. To be honest, the only Kataang spawn I'm really fond of is Kya.

Furudo Erika
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

King of Heroes, Gilgamesh

« Reply #354 on: Jul 21, 2014 05:11 pm »

I like Tenzin a lot. I like the relationship he has with Korra. I think it's sweet. But I prefer Kya too. Wish she got more screentime.
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I can't think of anything clever to say.

« Reply #355 on: Jul 21, 2014 05:15 pm »

I'm not usually one to leap down fantastical conclusions here, but this actually makes me wonder if maybe Toph really DID have a one night stand with Zuko somewhere down the line...  I mean they've been using the VA's for the younger roles to call back on the characters a lot.  You had Zuko as Iroh, you have Toph as Su... and then there's Azula as Lin.... the only thing is they use Grey DeIsle a lot for spirits and Ming Hue, so I'm sure I'm putting to much into it... but I'm no longer 100% convinced like I was before.

I do think that's a leap but it's also an interesting observation.

Of course if Toph did have a one night stand with Zuko and got a child out of it I'd think that have a lot of negative  political repercussion...you know, with Zuko being royalty and all.

I like Tenzin a lot. I like the relationship he has with Korra. I think it's sweet. But I prefer Kya too. Wish she got more screentime.

Same (minus the Kya bits, I think you edited while I was replying Cheesy). It's actually my favorite relationship in the show. LoK is always at its best when those two are working together. I think that's partly why I am loving Book 3 so much.

I like him when he's in comical situations. Any other time I'm just indifferent about him. I know people change as they get older and we're not all carbon copies of our parents but I still have a hard time accepting that he's Aang and Katara's son. I don't see any of them in him. To be honest, the only Kataang spawn I'm really fond of is Kya.

He has Katara's temper. He has blue/grey eyes, which is a combination of both of his parents eye color. I'm sure I could point out more traits if I thought about it long enough but I see plenty of Aang and Katara in him.

It's also kinda funny that you say that the only Kataang child you fond of is Kya because she's the only one that I'm indifferent towards.

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character." (As said by me)
Spiritwhisperer
Forum Moderator
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #356 on: Jul 21, 2014 05:27 pm »

The gazebo scene in 301 with Korra was really nice though. If anything he has become a good mentor to Korra.

"In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.”
- Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
fraroc
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #357 on: Jul 21, 2014 05:53 pm »

Man, I log off for a day and this thread took a dive. Did we really just spend two pages arguing about whether or not the genocide of a culture is alright? Shocked

I started a two page discussion about how I thought Tenzin was going to hit Jinora after she stood up to him when he was in drill sergeant mode. It happens. 
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #358 on: Jul 21, 2014 06:30 pm »

I'm not usually one to leap down fantastical conclusions here, but this actually makes me wonder if maybe Toph really DID have a one night stand with Zuko somewhere down the line...  I mean they've been using the VA's for the younger roles to call back on the characters a lot.  You had Zuko as Iroh, you have Toph as Su... and then there's Azula as Lin.... the only thing is they use Grey DeIsle a lot for spirits and Ming Hue, so I'm sure I'm putting to much into it... but I'm no longer 100% convinced like I was before.

Of course if Toph did have a one night stand with Zuko and got a child out of it I'd think that have a lot of negative  political repercussion...you know, with Zuko being royalty and all.

Now we have to figure out how they're all related to Kya I, because she was voiced by Grey as well. Also, the actress who played Katara in Boy in the Iceberg.

Sometimes, a voice-actor does double work because she's good at making herself sound like different people. Grin

The_Xov
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #359 on: Jul 21, 2014 08:54 pm »

Except that Kai has given every indication that he does care for Jinora.  The whole reason that he went ape-**** on hunter guy was because he threatened Jinora, and the baby sky bison.
I find it perplexing that some folks are actually losing their sh*t over the kid's assault on the poacher.  Honestly people, two of our most beloved characters from the original series, Aang and Katara, both lost went homicidal when their loved ones were threatened; Aang against the Buzzard-Wasp and Sandbenders in The Desert, and Katara against Zuko in The Eastern Air Temple, Azula in Crossroads of Destiny, and Jet in Lake Laogai (okay, the latter-most was a result of established distrust more than anything, but still).  Both they then and Kai now are trying to protect people they've developed a bond with, friends.  We can obviously connect with Katara and Aang in their situations; why can't we do the same for Kai?

I've said that I'm okay with his assault (well not okay, but you know what I mean). However, comparing two characters that have had a whole season built up between their friendship and a boy who just met a girl. And asking why the audience can connect more? Uh, hello?

Also, Aang just lost a bison who was the ONLY THING HE HAD LEFT OF A MASSACRED PEOPLE and a lost era, who had been with him since very early childhood. That is so far different from Jinora, who wasn't even in physical danger or out of reach yet, just in a cage. Virtually no similarity besides superficial.

I wasn't okay with it. Neither of the examples you named (The Eastern Air Temple doesn't exist, I assume you mean The Western Air Temple?) involved the heroes continuing to beat up an opponent after he was already on the ground unconscious. I understand wanting to protect your loved ones, but it's quite a stretch from there to trying to murder someone who's utterly helpless.
Well now that you put it like that, I'm seeing the scene more like Jet beating up on that old man.  Consider me straightened out.

I want a finger. Maybe an ear or two. An eye'd be good, as well. Something they'll miss.
This is where I enter and leave this debate (because I suck at debates Tongue)

With that comment, I hypothesize that this guy is a cannibal.  That, or he has an appendage fetish.

I now exit this debate with that immature comment.  Goodday everyone.
« Last Edit: Jul 21, 2014 09:34 pm by The_Xov » Logged

iKeep: The Airbending Wipeout Obstacle Course from Original Airbenders!
That bastard formerly known as mike50333
Zyrax
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

The Thirst is real

« Reply #360 on: Jul 21, 2014 09:43 pm »

Kai beating up That Old man felt like a crinch worthy to make us feel the love , It didn't work because Kai and Jinora BARELY KNOW EACH OTHER

Imagine if you took Taken and instead of the main character being a dad who is trying to save his only daughter to some lover boy who wants to save a girl he just met
teenj12
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #361 on: Jul 21, 2014 10:06 pm »

Yeah, I got to thinking and I don't think Jinora is quite ready for those tats. I don't see the proper skill in her bending.
The_Xov
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #362 on: Jul 21, 2014 10:38 pm »

Of course if Toph did have a one night stand with Zuko and got a child out of it I'd think that have a lot of negative  political repercussion...you know, with Zuko being royalty and all.

Now we have to figure out how they're all related to Kya I, because she was voiced by Grey as well. Also, the actress who played Katara in Boy in the Iceberg.

Sometimes, a voice-actor does double work because she's good at making herself sound like different people. Grin
Is it good or bad (or indifferent) that one can recognize another character's voice when a person VAs in different roles?

ByStorm
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Look with favor upon a bold beginning.

« Reply #363 on: Jul 21, 2014 11:59 pm »

Is it good or bad (or indifferent) that one can recognize another character's voice when a person VAs in different roles?

Johnny Yong Bosch's voices all sound like Ichigo Kurosaki, so I blame it on a lack of range to divert it from the default.

"For after this manner in the old time the holy women also, who trusted God, adorned themselves, being in subjection to their owl husbands." - The Owl Bible , 1 Strigidae Bubo 3:5. Taken from a typo in 1 Peter 3:5.
Wan-Shi-Tong-Servant
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #364 on: Jul 22, 2014 12:41 am »

Aang wouldn't have forced anyone to come, and wouldn't have flown off the handle so much. He wouldn't have done a Toph/earthbender impersonation while training people. Tenzin is just seeming like a poorer and poorer reflection of an actual air nomad as we go. Makes me wonder if he can even get the culture right at all.

Bumi was a nonbender, so he chose not to be a monk like the other nonbenders. But you have to wonder, if he did, and didn't go into the military, would he be a better leader than Tenzin? What about Kya?

In ATLA Aang was born in a monastery, and all monks were airbenders, and there were no airbenders outside the monasteries to survive the genocide, therefore we have a good indication that air nomads never recruited like real-life monasteries do. So there's no set precedent for how to proceed, but really, can you even imagine Aang doing any of the crap they've been up to? Even close?

thinking them oh-so-decadent for daring to have attachments, and property and ambition and anger.

Pretty sure no one on the show ever said or even implied this "looking down on the rest of the world" attitude. Aang's best friends he talked most about were Bumi and Kuzon, from other nations. We don't even know the names of his fellow monks, for Tui's sake! You're painting in your own impressions and ideas.

If you like being a subservient to your anger, that's your prerogative, but don't slam those who meditate to keep their conscious will and logic in the pilot's seat. I suppose you gripe about people working out to put on muscle and who consider being overweight bad for the body, too, because modifying any part of yourself and genuinely believing it to be healthier than the default setting is just "oh-so-elitist?"

And how, in your humble opinion, am I talking like an Objectivist? Do you see me angling for privatized health care? The complete yielding up of human rights? The furtherance of class divisions? No. Because I am not an Objectivist and I don't share those beliefs.

Funny, wasn't Aang lamenting class divisions, too? Apparently even when you agree with him he's still terrible.

Well, with all your talk of property and ambition, yes, that would be a valid inference to make, until you clarified yourself further, which you haven't, really. Do you have a label for what you believe? (it's perfectly fine if you don't, because the spectrum of established views doesn't always account for every individual variation)

Calling it now.  You are Objectivist.  (And if you don't know what that is, it doesn't mean you necessarily object to any point of view for kicks look it up) which is the most contemptible of all philosophies in the history of ever (It's the birthplace of Eugenics and Fascism) In it, it states that a persons own Ego is more important than all else.  That your own goals and aims trump every others.  It glorifies being a selfish d*ck while demonizing selfless and publicly aware behavior.

Interestingly, objectivism also stands against overindulgence in physical pleasure, which is a shared tenet of many spiritually-oriented philosophies. "A "whim-worshiper" or "hedonist," according to Rand, is not motivated by a desire to live his own human life, but by a wish to live on a sub-human level. Instead of using "that which promotes my (human) life" as his standard of value, he mistakes "that which I (mindlessly happen to) value" for a standard of value, in contradiction of the fact that, existentially, he is a human and therefore rational organism." -Wikipedia

It also stipulates that force is not acceptable as man cannot reach rational decisions when under threat of force. Also something the monks would agree with.

Considering they turned their backs on all it meant to be human

Ah, I see, you're the sole definer of what it means to be "human."

Therefore anyone who falls outside of those parameters are "not fully human," therefore you can justify their slaughter.

This seems familiar . . . oh yeah, eugenics.

But seriously, man is one of the only animals capable of lots of empathy- the vast majority are just fine with killing without a second thought. So what standards exactly are you using for "human"? Man is also capable of greed, which is often masked by the term "ambition," far outstripping any logical need. 

ideas, which offer neither individual liberty nor collective security

Strong individualist stance: What you want is most important, no matter what harm it inflicts on others

Strong community stance: You should consider the thoughts and feelings of others because surprise, they have feelings just like you.

Wonder which offers more "collective security."

And considering the monks buzzword was "freedom," I can't see how it would be contrary to "liberty."

An in-depth examination of ATLA. Ty Lee meets Azula's targets: complete strangers, yet their auras glow invitingly. Kataang, TyLokka, sibling!Toko http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5732344/1/What_Meets_the_Eye

Undertale fanfic:
http://forums.avatarspirit.net/index.php?topic=24342.msg2465903#msg246590
Furudo Erika
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #365 on: Jul 22, 2014 01:08 am »

Well, Aang could have done so much for Tenzin, yet it still wouldn't be enough for him to actually know the real Air Nomads. In a sense, they can't be revived ever. And you can't blame Tenzin for being different. He didn't grew up with the real nation. In the first place, he has a family which already goes against Air Nation culture. World is evolving and the culture as well.

Kai beating up That Old man felt like a crinch worthy to make us feel the love , It didn't work because Kai and Jinora BARELY KNOW EACH OTHER

Imagine if you took Taken and instead of the main character being a dad who is trying to save his only daughter to some lover boy who wants to save a girl he just met

Well, to me, it wasn't cringe worthy because I interpreted the scene with the idea that he was put off with the guy taking the Baby Air Bison. I am sure there is a story behind that aggression and I'm looking forward to it.

« Last Edit: Jul 22, 2014 01:14 am by Furudo Erika » Logged
The_Xov
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #366 on: Jul 22, 2014 02:08 am »

Well, Aang could have done so much for Tenzin, yet it still wouldn't be enough for him to actually know the real Air Nomads. In a sense, they can't be revived ever. And you can't blame Tenzin for being different. He didn't grew up with the real nation. In the first place, he has a family which already goes against Air Nation culture. World is evolving and the culture as well.
So Tenzin, soon enough, will come to realize that he'll have to forge a new identity for the Air Nation...  Makes sense, considering even the name is a huge departure from the Air Nomads from the parent show.  I'm stumped on how that would work though; how much of the original culture and beliefs will he need to keep and how much will he have to depart from?  I guess it would be personal choice, but it looks like there's a precarious balance he'd have to try and keep.  Perhaps he'll keep the core values like maintaining the sacredness of all life and the need for spiritual integrity, but streamline things by offloading some of the metaphorical fat?  Of course, if that were the route to take, what would count as fat?

I'm definately not the sort of person who should be thinking about this...

Johnny Yong Bosch's voices all sound like Ichigo Kurosaki, so I blame it on a lack of range to divert it from the default.
Then we definately have that with Jessie Flower and Grey DeLisle (more prominant with the former than the latter; strictly this season).  I'm actually kinda baffled that there are people who don't hear Toph's voice in young!Su.  It's one of the first things I noticed after I realized from the vocals that JF was voicing her.  I'm actually amazed that in her mid/late-teens, she still pulls off the sound so well; she does sound like a somewhat older Toph, but it's still very distinctly Toph!  Though honestly, I've realized (while typing this) that a lack of range actually works perfectly here because of the leniage factor, what with Su being Toph's daughter and all.  It's almost like an audible family stamp (or crest/symbol, I guess, to keep with the context of the original series); it's kinda funny.

Also, it's funny.  Someone said earlier that they thought Su sounded a bit like she was voiced by Olivia Hack (working strictly from recollection; correct me if I'm wrong).  Honestly, to me at least, I'd say that Opal sounded a bit closer to Olivia; definately got a bit of a more subdued (read: more timid, less hyper), yet more confident Ty Lee vibe from her, at least from the vocals.

I'm weird.
« Last Edit: Jul 22, 2014 02:27 am by The_Xov » Logged

Ikkin
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #367 on: Jul 22, 2014 08:45 am »

So Tenzin, soon enough, will come to realize that he'll have to forge a new identity for the Air Nation...  Makes sense, considering even the name is a huge departure from the Air Nomads from the parent show.  I'm stumped on how that would work though; how much of the original culture and beliefs will he need to keep and how much will he have to depart from?  I guess it would be personal choice, but it looks like there's a precarious balance he'd have to try and keep.  Perhaps he'll keep the core values like maintaining the sacredness of all life and the need for spiritual integrity, but streamline things by offloading some of the metaphorical fat?  Of course, if that were the route to take, what would count as fat?

My guess is that the new Air Nation won't be a monoculture at all, and that's part of what Tenzin has to learn to deal with.

The Air Acolytes already exist to carry on the monastic legacy of the Air Nomads -- they can't bend, but they're invested in the culture itself as it existed in the past.

The new airbenders just aren't interested in the old culture at all.  They'll probably end up with some kind of group cohesion by the end, but it's quite possible that they won't end up including much of the Air Nomads' philosophy when they come together on whatever they have in common.  I think we've been given some strong hints that the new Air Nation's going to have a military this time around, for instance (both because Bumi used to be a commander and because Meelo is acting like such a military brat himself), the family issue has come up enough that it's unlikely that tradition will ever be restored, and even the vegetarianism seems like a hard sell for people who already had their life all messed up by becoming airbenders.

It's kind of telling that the first time the new airbenders come together on something, it's fighting off the bison rustlers.

Korra Ramblings on Tumblr

Child of the Elements - A look at Korra's childhood with the Order of the White Lotus. (Complete)
lycropath
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #368 on: Jul 22, 2014 04:43 pm »

My guess is that the new Air Nation won't be a monoculture at all, and that's part of what Tenzin has to learn to deal with.

The Air Acolytes already exist to carry on the monastic legacy of the Air Nomads -- they can't bend, but they're invested in the culture itself as it existed in the past.

The new airbenders just aren't interested in the old culture at all.  They'll probably end up with some kind of group cohesion by the end, but it's quite possible that they won't end up including much of the Air Nomads' philosophy when they come together on whatever they have in common.  I think we've been given some strong hints that the new Air Nation's going to have a military this time around, for instance (both because Bumi used to be a commander and because Meelo is acting like such a military brat himself), the family issue has come up enough that it's unlikely that tradition will ever be restored, and even the vegetarianism seems like a hard sell for people who already had their life all messed up by becoming airbenders.

It's kind of telling that the first time the new airbenders come together on something, it's fighting off the bison rustlers.

My TV senses tell me that their qualms are just from Tenzin pushing to hard and that they will adapt to Air Nomad culture by the end of the series.

Blue Warpath
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Evil is love. Evil is life.

« Reply #369 on: Jul 23, 2014 03:05 pm »

Decent episode.

Honestly, I was a bit annoyed that only one person, ironically named Otaku, was interested in Air Nomad culture. And, those recruits could have been more grateful towards Tenzin at the start - he did help save them from the Earth Queen and her Dai Li. Still good.

Keeper of Kuvira's owning, Asami's lacking development, and Azula's nails.
Zyrax
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

The Thirst is real

« Reply #370 on: Jul 23, 2014 04:04 pm »

Well, to me, it wasn't cringe worthy because I interpreted the scene with the idea that he was put off with the guy taking the Baby Air Bison. I am sure there is a story behind that aggression and I'm looking forward to it.

Actually had He been put off by Animal Cruelity then it would been more understandable, But he outright says "This is what you get for harming Jinora" Which ended up being feeling like some cheesy Disney Movie. Like I said in another post there relation ship is too cheesy for me to care, There is no dynamac between them, Its only funny/interesting when Tenzin is involved but take out Tenzin and This pairing would be dry as hell.
Furudo Erika
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #371 on: Jul 23, 2014 04:10 pm »

Well, aside from Jinora, he mentions the baby bison and it seemed that he emphasized the baby part, so you're wrong. And the other stuff you said is completely subjective, I like the ship and enjoy every scene of it. I see a dynamic and a chemistry as well.
Zyrax
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

The Thirst is real

« Reply #372 on: Jul 23, 2014 04:18 pm »

Well, aside from Jinora, he mentions the baby bison and it seemed that he emphasized the baby part, so you're wrong. And the other stuff you said is completely subjective, I like the ship and enjoy every scene of it. I see a dynamic and a chemistry as well.
I am not denying that, Its just that it was pretty clear that the Main(Not sole) reason for his anger was because of Jinora.

And that's your opinion, you have the freedom to have one. It's just too Disney-ish for me.
Furudo Erika
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #373 on: Jul 23, 2014 04:28 pm »

Saying how it was clear is also subjective. It was vague. If you want to see the anger just because of Jinora, be my guest.
ByStorm
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Look with favor upon a bold beginning.

« Reply #374 on: Jul 24, 2014 12:09 am »

I am not denying that, Its just that it was pretty clear that the Main(Not sole) reason for his anger was because of Jinora.

And that's your opinion, you have the freedom to have one. It's just too Disney-ish for me.

I will agree and disagree about this sentiment. While it does seem to be a cliche that is often seen in Disney films [mostly of the 90's Renaissance.], I find that it gives Kai an emotional edge that Airbenders haven't had recently. Zaheer is the ideological guy who doesn't put people into danger, but would Kai care?

Place Kai into any emotional stressful situation where anyone he cares about is in mortal danger, and he could very well be like Aang's darker side, where he'll flat-out murder multiple people in order to save those he loves or bring hellfire onto his enemies. It's not a problem when its in a remote location where civilians could be harmed, but where the plot is going, Kai's anger and rage very well could make him harm people he loves or civilians in friendly fire.

Not unlike fire, air is an element where the fight literally cannot be taken back. Gyatso murdered a slew of fire bender soldiers prior to his death, and Kai has that same pose at his own tips.

Unlike Toph, who bathed in her element, Kai  only has the skill , but not the discipline. He's going to need control and restraint, and that will be the basis of his arc in the final two seasons. Disney films never have the male protagonist have to deal with having difficulty in controlling their power, as most of them never have that conflict to begin with. While it may be a slight cliche that Kai's story followed within this episode, I have to disagree its even remotely on the level of cliche because it will be a lack of conflict.

"For after this manner in the old time the holy women also, who trusted God, adorned themselves, being in subjection to their owl husbands." - The Owl Bible , 1 Strigidae Bubo 3:5. Taken from a typo in 1 Peter 3:5.
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: