Oct 22, 2019 11:23 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Smoke and Shadow, Parts 1, 2 & 3- speculation thread [NO SPOILERS!]  (Read 157023 times)
chicken_sokka
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Fire. Wang Fire.

« on: Jul 01, 2014 12:17 pm »

(SMBH edit)

Fourth trilogy title: Smoke and Shadow

Release date for part 1: September 23, 2015

Info: http://www.avatarspirit.net/news.php?id=780

Discussion in this thread after the announcement was made starts on this post:
http://forums.avatarspirit.net/index.php?topic=23328.msg2428690#msg2428690

Cover images for Parts 1 and 2:

Original post below

Previous thread title: What do you think the fourth trilogy will be about?

I know there's a thread about what we hope to see in the future of the comics, but let's make this a bit more specific. What do you guys think the next trilogy will be about? Are they going to bring back the situation with the Ozai loyalists, or are they going shift the focus to another character, such as Sokka, Katara, or Suki? If so, what do you think the story will surround?

Will there even be a next trilogy, or one after that? Haven't we usually seen the cover for the next installment by now?
« Last Edit: Aug 16, 2015 08:26 pm by Icy_Ashford » Logged

Keeper of Sokka's Memorial Statue, Beard, and Gavel!
Solid Sun
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

dio did nothing wrong

« Reply #1 on: Jul 01, 2014 01:06 pm »

We already got the technology shift, so I'd say the fourth trilogy will either be the last or we won't have trilogies. Just random stories who will ties up the loose ends (Azula, Maiko, ect...)

Featuring : Polaris, Zyrax HikaruIzumi, Blue Warpath, Prophet of Doom, Weegee the Airbender, TyLuko4Ever, Johan, Riptide, SunxFire and AtoMaki : D
chicken_sokka
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Fire. Wang Fire.

« Reply #2 on: Jul 01, 2014 01:22 pm »

We already got the technology shift, so I'd say the fourth trilogy will either be the last or we won't have trilogies. Just random stories who will ties up the loose ends (Azula, Maiko, ect...)

I'm still hoping for a Sokka-focused trilogy where he goes on a search for his sword. Maybe a Sokka/Suki one involving Kyoshi island (which hasn't shown up in korra so far)? He's been portrayed as nothing but a goofball in the comics so far.

Solid Sun
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

dio did nothing wrong

« Reply #3 on: Jul 01, 2014 01:28 pm »

A single comic book would've been enough for this :p

Featuring : Polaris, Zyrax HikaruIzumi, Blue Warpath, Prophet of Doom, Weegee the Airbender, TyLuko4Ever, Johan, Riptide, SunxFire and AtoMaki : D
chicken_sokka
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Fire. Wang Fire.

« Reply #4 on: Jul 01, 2014 01:37 pm »

Probably, but I mean more as a part of a larger story.

Solid Sun
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

dio did nothing wrong

« Reply #5 on: Jul 01, 2014 01:42 pm »

That'd be cool. Sokka's been back to the "Joke character" role in the comic, something he spent the whole series detaching himself from.

Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I can't think of anything clever to say.

« Reply #6 on: Jul 01, 2014 03:34 pm »

Do we even know if there will be a fourth trilogy?

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character." (As said by me)
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #7 on: Jul 01, 2014 05:37 pm »

Of course we do. People are still buying the third trilogy, aren't they?

Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #8 on: Jul 01, 2014 05:43 pm »

Yeah, I guess.

I do wonder how long the comics will continue though. LoK should be finished after next year. I wonder if they will end the comics then as well or just continue them even if the rest of thew Avatar series is over.

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character." (As said by me)
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #9 on: Jul 01, 2014 05:45 pm »

They're making money, and even after these years, the timeline of the comics (aside from that year-long skip in the prologue of The Promise) has been at most a month. I think they're purposefully moving slowly through the gAang's lives so that they can really turn this into a long-runner if they want.

Red Hawk
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #10 on: Jul 02, 2014 12:42 am »

That'd be cool. Sokka's been back to the "Joke character" role in the comic, something he spent the whole series detaching himself from.

Well the comics just haven't been focused on him.  He hasn't been useless though, he did come up with the idea of sabotaging the Fire Nation tanks back in The Promise.  And he had some nice moments in the Search, like talking about how he cares about his sister even though they might not always get along.  Sokka has always been a humorous character, even in Sozin's Comet -- "APPA ATE MOMO!", "We have a very special birthday to celebrate!", "I guess we should call you the Loser Lord!"  I don't see any mischaracterization there, you just have to imagine how Jack DeSena would deliver the lines.

Of course we do. People are still buying the third trilogy, aren't they?

Yeah, obviously Nickelodeon and Dark Horse are going to continue with comics after The Rift.  The real questions are if it will be in the same TPB format (probably), if Gene Yang will continue to write for them (Possibly, he's given no indication of being tired for writing for Avatar but after nine 70 page comics, you never know), and of course what the story will be about.  

I get the feeling that we'll see what happened to Azula eventually, but since we already had two Zuko-centric trilogies I'd rather wait a while before that gets addressed.  Aang, Zuko, Azula, and now Toph have all gotten the spotlight with these comics; I think it's time for Katara and Sokka to get some full time in the spotlight themselves.  Perhaps a story set at the Southern Water Tribe, as they try to rebuild?  The traditionalist vs progressivism theme could easily fit in there, and there are several characters we haven't seen in a while who would appear -- Hakoda, Pakku, and even Kanna.  Not too sure what the main conflict and threat could be.
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #11 on: Jul 03, 2014 12:25 pm »

Perhaps we could have a comic on Kyoshi. That would be interesting or perhaps the building of Republic City and Toph forming the metal bender police force.

ChrisTinnef
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #12 on: Jul 05, 2014 09:18 am »

Aang, Zuko, Azula, and now Toph have all gotten the spotlight with these comics; I think it's time for Katara and Sokka to get some full time in the spotlight themselves.  Perhaps a story set at the Southern Water Tribe, as they try to rebuild?  The traditionalist vs progressivism theme could easily fit in there, and there are several characters we haven't seen in a while who would appear -- Hakoda, Pakku, and even Kanna.  Not too sure what the main conflict and threat could be.
Yeah, I'm quite positive that the next trilogy will focus on Katara and, as I hope, Sokka as well - though he even only was an additional character in "Shells"  Angry
The water tribe girls whom the Gaang met in Rift Pt I may serve as a bridge to the next trilogy. I just hope that it's not going to be another sibling conflict story Cheesy
Solid Sun
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

dio did nothing wrong

« Reply #13 on: Jul 05, 2014 10:02 am »

I feel that the next trilogy won't feature a extraordinary conflict between Sokka and Katara, there will probably be one but it won't last long.
I hope.

CupcakeFlake
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #14 on: Jul 16, 2014 07:42 pm »

To be honest, I suspect something with Suki. There has been a bit of Zuko/Suki speculation, so It'll be interesting to see what  happens. It might just be about Suki and Sokka. I agree with ChrisTinnef that the water tribe girls are probably key, they're probably going to be extremely important characters. I'd also like to see something about Ty Lee. She was one of my favorite characters, but hasn't really been portrayed at all in any of the comics, or even The Legend of Korra. But then there was very little of Mai, as well, so maybe the two are just fading into the background. Either way, I'm really interested to find out what's in store.

There

My scar is not on the wrong side!
zoro07
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #15 on: Jul 22, 2014 07:49 am »

My guess would be something to do with Azula figuring out what to do with her life. The last time we saw her she ran off, so her character arc is still highly unresolved.
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #16 on: Jul 22, 2014 04:48 pm »

^ I would agree with that except for the fact that I think Nickelodeon wants these comics to focus on the gaang. I don't think we'll get an entire trilogy about just one character...let alone a non-main character.

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #17 on: Jul 22, 2014 06:45 pm »

Stand-alone graphic novel by John Jackson Miller... Stand-alone graphic novel by John Jackson Miller... Stand-alone graphic novel by John Jackson Miller... Stand-alone graphic novel by John Jackson Miller... Stand-alone graphic novel by John Jackson Miller...

zoro07
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #18 on: Jul 23, 2014 04:08 pm »

^ I would agree with that except for the fact that I think Nickelodeon wants these comics to focus on the gaang. I don't think we'll get an entire trilogy about just one character...let alone a non-main character.

I agree it won't be entirely about Azula, but I think she'll play a big part. The ending of The Search ("I'm sure we'll run into her") was pretty blatant foreshadowing that Azula's character arc isn't over yet.

I'd expect that Aang and Zuko would also be main characters in the arc. Maybe give some focus to Mai and Ty Lee since they haven't done much in the comics (other than that one-shot Mai comic).
chicken_sokka
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Fire. Wang Fire.

« Reply #19 on: Jul 25, 2014 02:23 pm »

I agree it won't be entirely about Azula, but I think she'll play a big part. The ending of The Search ("I'm sure we'll run into her") was pretty blatant foreshadowing that Azula's character arc isn't over yet.

I'd expect that Aang and Zuko would also be main characters in the arc. Maybe give some focus to Mai and Ty Lee since they haven't done much in the comics (other than that one-shot Mai comic).

I think they could tie in Azula's story somehow with Mai's. We know from the  2013 fcbd comic that Mai's father and his group plan on dethroning Zuko in the name of Ozai. Maybe Azula's shining moment of redemption comes when she realizes Zuko should have the throne and she helps him against the Ozai Loyalists somehow?

zoro07
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #20 on: Jul 26, 2014 01:51 pm »

I think they could tie in Azula's story somehow with Mai's. We know from the  2013 fcbd comic that Mai's father and his group plan on dethroning Zuko in the name of Ozai. Maybe Azula's shining moment of redemption comes when she realizes Zuko should have the throne and she helps him against the Ozai Loyalists somehow?

I think that'd be a great way to tie both storylines together and get all the characters involved.

Maybe the main story is about the Ozai loyalists trying to overthrow Zuko and the Gaang (along with Mai and Ty Lee) trying to stop them. The sidestory might be about Azula trying to decide whose side to take in the conflict, with her dad wanting her on one side and Ursa wanting her on another.

Maybe after a heart-to-heart with Ursa she finally decides to help Zuko and ends up being the deciding factor in the fight. Would be a good way to tie up both plotlines.
Mahaanus
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #21 on: Jul 26, 2014 02:55 pm »

I think that'd be a great way to tie both storylines together and get all the characters involved.

Maybe the main story is about the Ozai loyalists trying to overthrow Zuko and the Gaang (along with Mai and Ty Lee) trying to stop them. The sidestory might be about Azula trying to decide whose side to take in the conflict, with her dad wanting her on one side and Ursa wanting her on another.

Maybe after a heart-to-heart with Ursa she finally decides to help Zuko and ends up being the deciding factor in the fight. Would be a good way to tie up both plotlines.

I suspect it'd go that way as well, though we could be surprised. I think everyone would agree that Ursa and the story around her was not what everyone expected.

But I don't think that'd be the next trilogy. Next trilogy will probably be Sokka and Katara, maybe the buildup from those Water Tribe girls. But Azula will most likely be left for later.

Recent events have drawn me out of my hole.
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #22 on: Jul 26, 2014 03:29 pm »

Speaking of a fourth trilogy. The Avatar Dark Horse panel is later today at SDCC I believe. They'll probably announce what the fourth trilogy is there. That is what they have done in the past.

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #23 on: Jul 26, 2014 03:30 pm »

Keeping my fingers crossed for Grant Morrison's Freedom Fighters.

Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #24 on: Jul 26, 2014 11:02 pm »

It was actually a signing today and not a panel. Still odd that nothing was announced though as far as I know. These comics are almost always announced at sdcc. Odd that nothing was announced this year.

Pages: next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: