Sep 20, 2017 07:37 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Episode:
10 - 45 (60.8%)
9 - 17 (23%)
8 - 9 (12.2%)
7 - 1 (1.4%)
6 - 1 (1.4%)
5 - 0 (0%)
4 - 0 (0%)
3 - 0 (0%)
2 - 1 (1.4%)
1 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 74

Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [305] The Metal Clan  (Read 39394 times)
CupcakeFlake
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #350 on: Jul 17, 2014 02:14 pm »

^ I agree. Anyway, I don't think Lin could tell the difference between lies and truths at the time. It's most likely that Toph said that when they were really little, and as they grew older, Lin started to feel like it was a lie because of her actions.

My scar is not on the wrong side!
Storia
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

#dictatorsumade

« Reply #351 on: Jul 20, 2014 05:44 am »

What would Zaofu do if it's raining and there are thunderstorms?

Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #352 on: Jul 20, 2014 06:47 am »

^ Stainless steel and insulators.

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
zukataang
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #353 on: Jul 20, 2014 09:02 am »

Just saw this episode!

So apparently, it was Toph’s turn to get her own “Civil Wars part I”.

My discontent with the way Katara and Aang were described as parents in that episode is as great as my appreciation for Toph’s unflattering presentation in this one. And I say this as a person who loved Toph’s character. That’s to the people who accused those who had issues with Aang and Katara’s parental flaws of being butthurt kids who “just can’t accept that their heros aren’t perfect”. Ugh. That's really not the problem at all. Flaws are perfectly fine as long as they seem in character and I completely recognized 12-year old Toph in the adult portrait her daughters painted of her. In Aang and Katara's case, not so much.

Anyway.

Although it wasn't bad writing or something, I was initially dissatisfied with Lin being Toph’s only child because that meant the Bei fong name was dying with her and I personally wanted Toph's legacy to live on (besides, multiple siblings = more stories = more interesting), so I couldn’t have been more pleased with finding out that Lin had a sister. And what a sister! She has a husband, plenty of kids, enormous drive to succeed (she built a whole city!) and values metal bending like her mom.

And what else do we find out? She wasn’t fathered by Lin’s father! So much for the “they lived happily ever after with their first big love” trope, and that's great. Well, it's kind of bittersweet, because you don't want these characters to suffer, you root for them and want their romantic relationships to work, but at the same time I appreciate that Bryke and their crew included less conventional family types, which doesn’t happen often in cartoons, although it’s so widespread in real life.

They didn't even go for the safer route of two moms and one dad. No, It’s a woman, a main character, who has kids with two different men. It seems to me that women with multiple partners still tend be more stigmatized than men, so I found that pretty remarkable, too. Even more so if by “we don’t know our dads” they didn’t just mean “he wasn't around much, so we don't know what our fathers are like” but also “we don’t even know who the father is at all and neither did she.” *gasp*

The fact that they don’t know their dad (which, by the way, means that tokka is canonically dead. Sokka and Toph must have hung out all the time, they must have known Sokka and they would known that he was the dad too if it were the case. Unless… they had a secret liaison?.?? Su yin and her descendants are a curious shade of brown after all, hmmm... >_>), too is pretty unconventional and boundary breaking. It makes me curious as to who the father could possibly be. Will we ever know? (the emo grandkid bore a scary resemblance to the emo lilly liver. Maybe that’s a hint? Tongue) Will they appear in the show? Are they even still alive?

Heck, it even appears that Toph could be alive! When Bolin went “Are we gonna get to meet her?” I was all weirded out, wondering why he doesn't know about her death, but then the guy spoke about Toph's mysterious disappearance (Whoa, how did the gaang react to that? And her kids?) and I had to pause and rewind to make sure I had heard it right. She could actually still be somewhere out there!
Or not. It's exciting but I'm trying not to get my hopes up. The fact that nobody has seen her ever since doesn't bode well to me, given that she's famous (=recognizable) and probably sucks at disguising herself because she's blind. Maybe she'll be the pre-comics Ursa of LOK  – we'll just never know where she went or how she's doing.

What 83-year-old Toph would be like, I wonder. Her leaving to find enlightenment is certainly not something that 12-year-old Toph would have done, but after a lifetime of two failed relationships and kids she wasn't happy with, I can completely understand her looking for something more. I wouldn't be surprised if she has become kinda wise and mentor-y too because of her experience, but without having lost her sarcastic edge. She was still into nicknames at 40, after having had both of her children, after all. I guess that's a side to her personality that she just won't ever lose (and that's for the better!).

Lin's “Mom used to say that [her kids are a blessing] too but she never really meant it” line was a big surprise. The first confirmation of Toph’s sucky parenting. Even though it fits her character to not be pleased with her kids and let it know, I didn't expect Bryke to push it to that level, and I was surprised by how blunt Lin was being about it (and the fact that nobody reacted? Isn't what she said the kind of TMI that gets people awkward?). Besides, she had never said anything disparaging about Toph or blamed her for anything before. I got the vibe that she wore the Bei Fong name proudly, so I was surprised that that's how she really felt about Toph.

And I'm confused by how she feels about her sister who seems perfectly likable and nice, too. What happened between these two? Is it jealousy resulting from the fact that Su lives a fulfilling life with a husband and kids and she doesn't? Su's confronting attitude gave the impression that it was an old feud and that there is something to be dredged up under the surface of the perfect image she's trying to give off.

That final scene between Lin and Opal was so powerful. By then I had grown so sympathetic towards Lin that I vicariously felt the sting of Korra’s careless words. “A bitter, lonely woman.” Korra probably has no idea of what wounds she has wrenched open with that one. I expect an apology on her part in the next episode and a little bit of an existential crisis on Lin’s. Like, her reviewing her life, wondering about what she could have done differently to not end up the way she did, thinking about what she could still do to change her situation.

Speaking of existentialism, I lol’d at Varrick’s (he’s back!) exaggeratedly philosophical take on the “Why are you here?” question he was asked and his denial of any personal responsibility with regards to the way things turned out, as he attributed it all to “the universe setting him free”. What a dodgy, dodgy fellow. Cheesy

Meelo’s “You call yourself an airbender? How disgraceful!” Line was smile-worthy too. And kinda frightening as well. Building giant lemur armies, speaking about people bowing down to him, belittling trainees who are doing the best they can, the boy is on fire... When is the time to stop thinking it's cute and worry instead? Tongue

And the fight that Zahir and Kya had after that… they did it again! Another breathtaking fight scene!

I liked that Kya was the one who got suspicious and unmasked Zahir. Tenzin is a main character, Bumi discovered airbending powers and found his place as a comic relief, but she just kind of stood there all this time, not doing many noticeable things. I wanted her to get her fair share of time in the spotlight and she did! And of course, I couldn’t help but see Katara in her, although Kya has a personality and identity of her own, which I like. Like Lin, I'm starting to like her more.

As for Opal (I don’t know if it’s just me, but her looks seemed particularly anime-like compared to everyone else). She’s pretty and likeable as a person I guess, but as a character, I didn’t find her that interesting personality wise. The Bopal scenes, I didn’t find very engaging because of that, although I didn’t utterly dislike it either. There have been lots of “crushing at first sight” romances already (Makorra, Masami, Kainora), so I kinda watched it happen with an “Oh, here we go again. Oh well” attitude. Eh, I guess I don't mind her staying or going.

Mako making fun of Bolin's exes was funny though. So was EYEBROW GEL (lol wtfreak?! Cheesy)

Oh and the artwork was great, for the metal city and the characters. All the descendants are beautiful people!

Now every time I’ll re-watch ATLA or read the comics, I’ll feel sorry for Toph and feel the urge to warn her about the ugly monster that is her future before it's too late. Great. Tongue

This episode is a 9/10. This season is still consistently amazing.   
Solid Sun
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

dio did nothing wrong

« Reply #354 on: Jul 20, 2014 09:35 am »

And then, Book 4 will show us that Zuko was a terrible father too and we'll all watch ATLA with sad eyes.

Featuring : Polaris, Zyrax HikaruIzumi, Blue Warpath, Prophet of Doom, Weegee the Airbender, TyLuko4Ever, Johan, Riptide, SunxFire and AtoMaki : D
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #355 on: Jul 20, 2014 02:02 pm »

Really good write-up.

There was an especially good point about the "Happily Ever After" trope, but I appreciate that if it was subverted with Toph specifically, who didn't have a love at the end of ATLA. I think ATLA was the kind of story where Happily Ever After was fitting for Kataang, Sukka, and Maiko, so I'm glad that if the alternative was explored, it was without destroying one of those relationships. (And yes, I'm of the opinion that Mai and Zuko will get back together in the comics.)

Storia
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

#dictatorsumade

« Reply #356 on: Jul 20, 2014 06:09 pm »

And then, Book 4 will show us that Zuko was a terrible father too and we'll all watch ATLA with sad eyes.
Hope for no bad parent and hating siblings cliche in book 4

And don't forget if it's summer time in Zaofu, guess how hot the city will be? + with the people wearing metal clothes (which they can change tho)
« Last Edit: Jul 20, 2014 06:41 pm by Storia » Logged

The_Xov
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #357 on: Jul 20, 2014 09:20 pm »

And don't forget if it's summer time in Zaofu, guess how hot the city will be? + with the people wearing metal clothes (which they can change tho)
j\Soooo, we're to assume that a world with power plants and automobiles and dWWI-era bi-planes doesn't have air conditioning?

iKeep: The Airbending Wipeout Obstacle Course from Original Airbenders!
That bastard formerly known as mike50333
ByStorm
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Look with favor upon a bold beginning.

« Reply #358 on: Jul 20, 2014 09:51 pm »

j\Soooo, we're to assume that a world with power plants and automobiles and dWWI-era bi-planes doesn't have air conditioning?

Harry Potter is a world of magic and wizardry, but no math, science, history, or English classes after third grade.

Transformers  and Power Rangers  are series where humans allow alien robots demolish and destroy their cities , but have not created defenses and mechanisms to deal with alien threats for weekly destruction.

DragonBall Z is a series where humans can all do the Kamehameha without training, but have not found a way to cure major diseases or even death.

X-Men is a series about people with superpowers from mutations, but almost all of the characters have beneficial mutations that would be exploited by the private sector for transportation, security, education, the arts and so on, if not by the military or governments. Why persecute a growing population of people that can boost national prestige and power when you can draw in all of the persecuted mutants and give them jobs and education to assimilate and use their abilities for the benefit of society and the economy? Stryker or Senator Kelly would be swallowed whole in real life, if not imprisoned for civil rights violations. The ACLU would love mutants for employment.

Stranger things have happened in fiction.

"For after this manner in the old time the holy women also, who trusted God, adorned themselves, being in subjection to their owl husbands." - The Owl Bible , 1 Strigidae Bubo 3:5. Taken from a typo in 1 Peter 3:5.
Storia
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

#dictatorsumade

« Reply #359 on: Jul 20, 2014 11:27 pm »

@The_Xov, i don't know they had air conditioners Sad

BlueberrySpiceHead
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #360 on: Jul 21, 2014 12:39 am »

Harry Potter is a world of magic and wizardry, but no math, science, history, or English classes after third grade.

Transformers  and Power Rangers  are series where humans allow alien robots demolish and destroy their cities , but have not created defenses and mechanisms to deal with alien threats for weekly destruction.

DragonBall Z is a series where humans can all do the Kamehameha without training, but have not found a way to cure major diseases or even death.

X-Men is a series about people with superpowers from mutations, but almost all of the characters have beneficial mutations that would be exploited by the private sector for transportation, security, education, the arts and so on, if not by the military or governments. Why persecute a growing population of people that can boost national prestige and power when you can draw in all of the persecuted mutants and give them jobs and education to assimilate and use their abilities for the benefit of society and the economy? Stryker or Senator Kelly would be swallowed whole in real life, if not imprisoned for civil rights violations. The ACLU would love mutants for employment.

Stranger things have happened in fiction.

DBZ does have a cure for death: Dragon Balls.
ViridianIV
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #361 on: Jul 21, 2014 12:39 pm »

I don't know that they don't have air conditioners?  It's never been specifically said that they 'don't' so we should pretty much assume that their equivalent in technology up to where human kind was in that era?  Just cause the animators don't waste our time flashing a scene to a powered up air conditioning vent doesn't mean they don't exist.

\"That woman is my hero.\"
Spiritwhisperer
Forum Moderator
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #362 on: Jul 21, 2014 02:01 pm »

It wouldn't surprise me that if you looked through the Ba Sing Se episodes you'd see boxes attached to houses that could be interpreted as airconditioing.

"In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.”
- Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
ViridianIV
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #363 on: Jul 21, 2014 03:49 pm »

It wouldn't surprise me that if you looked through the Ba Sing Se episodes you'd see boxes attached to houses that could be interpreted as airconditioing.

Maybe not in Ba Sing Se, as they appear to have zero advancement since Aang's day.  I meant in Republic City... Ba Sing Se is all backwards right now Tongue

\"That woman is my hero.\"
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #364 on: Jul 21, 2014 06:09 pm »

Nobody invented Freon since Waterbenders were available for the really big jobs.

Storia
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

#dictatorsumade

« Reply #365 on: Jul 21, 2014 08:06 pm »

Oh yeah, the waterbenders, i forgot them -_-

BlackPanther1012
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #366 on: Jul 22, 2014 04:46 pm »

X-Men is a series about people with superpowers from mutations, but almost all of the characters have beneficial mutations that would be exploited by the private sector for transportation, security, education, the arts and so on, if not by the military or governments. Why persecute a growing population of people that can boost national prestige and power when you can draw in all of the persecuted mutants and give them jobs and education to assimilate and use their abilities for the benefit of society and the economy? Stryker or Senator Kelly would be swallowed whole in real life, if not imprisoned for civil rights violations.

Jealousy.

Not to mention you had mutants--new and bad alike--causing widespread chaos and confusion. There is the political rhetoric of bad or otherwise shady mutants. And the X-Men often operated behind-the-scenes.
« Last Edit: Jul 22, 2014 04:49 pm by BlackPanther1012 » Logged

What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.
--Philipians 4:9
SMBH
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Lord Zuko is not amused

« Reply #367 on: Jul 22, 2014 11:02 pm »

Re: air conditioning, outside of the Water Tribes -- see: Boiling Rock, the coolers. All they need to do is adjust the temperature so that it's comfortable instead of freezing.

ATLA Keeps: Kuei's necklace, Pandalilies, Zhaodburns, Sokka's DoBS speech
TLOK Keeps: Sparkly bush, Aang's statue, Korrlok, Asami's racetrack
zukataang
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #368 on: Jul 27, 2014 12:32 pm »

There was an especially good point about the "Happily Ever After" trope, but I appreciate that if it was subverted with Toph specifically, who didn't have a love at the end of ATLA. I think ATLA was the kind of story where Happily Ever After was fitting for Kataang, Sukka, and Maiko, so I'm glad that if the alternative was explored, it was without destroying one of those relationships. (And yes, I'm of the opinion that Mai and Zuko will get back together in the comics.)

I agree. Apparently, the general tip is to avoid giving bad endings to working relationships that have had enough screen time for the audience to grow attached to them.

Really good write-up.

Thanks. Smiley
ByStorm
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Look with favor upon a bold beginning.

« Reply #369 on: Jul 27, 2014 02:01 pm »

X-Men is a series about people with superpowers from mutations, but almost all of the characters have beneficial mutations that would be exploited by the private sector for transportation, security, education, the arts and so on, if not by the military or governments. Why persecute a growing population of people that can boost national prestige and power when you can draw in all of the persecuted mutants and give them jobs and education to assimilate and use their abilities for the benefit of society and the economy? Stryker or Senator Kelly would be swallowed whole in real life, if not imprisoned for civil rights violations.

Jealousy.

Not to mention you had mutants--new and bad alike--causing widespread chaos and confusion. There is the political rhetoric of bad or otherwise shady mutants. And the X-Men often operated behind-the-scenes.

Jealousy for those who cling to their bigotry, but mutants would be easy to use against other mutants. Having them on your side and believing in the same values while having zero or little superiority complexes from their powers would make them more attractive than allowing the equivalent of the drug wars to occur on every American city street times ten. The Xmen and Brotherhood are basically the Bloods and the Crips of their world.

"For after this manner in the old time the holy women also, who trusted God, adorned themselves, being in subjection to their owl husbands." - The Owl Bible , 1 Strigidae Bubo 3:5. Taken from a typo in 1 Peter 3:5.
djinn
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Fish genetics is a very small field

« Reply #370 on: Jul 28, 2014 08:52 pm »

Great episode.

I loved the world building here. The metal city was very interesting. And Toph's family just keeps growing! I think the Toph as a parent thing was very natural and keyed in to how she behaved as a child. I'm not surprised she favoured her children by letting them do what ever they wanted. Nor by how that turned out for her kids.

Zaheer pulls a Clark Kent and nobody recognises a wanted criminal simply because he shaved his head! I'm curious about this guru now; it's the second time he's been mentioned.

And the Wheel of Time references just keep coming. I swear it must be intentional now. Tel'aran'rhiod, The Empress: May She Live Forever,the long fingernails (cultural thing, though) Nose Chains (they're a cultural thing too) and Truthspeakers? You're kidding, right? Truthspeaker/Truthseer in an adjunct role is one massive coincidence. I knew the Seanchan from WoT borrowed heavily from the Chinese but this is kinda hilarious. I kinda want crossovers now.

10/10

sfgiantsfanmike
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #371 on: Jul 29, 2014 11:51 pm »

I'm guessing I can't be the only one to think that Lin is Opels mother after the first time watching? Those tears after seeming to make herself be mean to Opel... Guess after I catch up with those that got to watch the episodes live I'll search some of the theory threads... (BTW, only 3 pages into the thread)
aa623
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Ty Lee <3

« Reply #372 on: Jul 30, 2014 12:39 pm »

I have a friend who has a theory Opel is Lin and Tenzin's daughter which I don't understand why that would be the case. Tenzin broke up with Lin for not wanting children and she didn't seem like she was really talking to Su until Lin got to Zaofu. It doesn't blame sense for me to think that Lin gave Opel to her sister whom she wasn't talking to.

Keeper of the mural of Earth Kingdom Avatars from 103, the theory Ty Lee is descended from Air Nomads, Ty Lee's "At least I'm different now!" the theory that Pema is Ty Lee's daughter, Ikki's grey eyes, Mako's amber eyes, and Ikki's quote about the best way to win a boy's heart from 105.
BlackPanther1012
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #373 on: Jul 30, 2014 04:50 pm »

Lethality doesn't work the same way in the Avatarverse as it does in ours.  Identical-looking attacks can be either lethal or non-lethal depending on the intent of the bender performing them:

"They've tried to kill people" is a lot more meaningful when your hero is a Technical Pacifist monk than it is when she's tried to burn a man alive for insulting her.

Dude please. Those are not identical attacks. Similar but not identical. Look at the size and the girth of the stone pillars.

And again with the "When Extremes Meet" references? I love how you remember that Tarrlok insulted Korra and that it hurt her feelings; but then, you turn around and forget that Tarrlok attacked her first...an attack that was going to kill her.

What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.
--Philipians 4:9
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #374 on: Jul 30, 2014 07:20 pm »

Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: