Dec 11, 2017 05:02 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TLOK games from Platinum Games & Webfoot Technologies coming this year  (Read 121351 times)
Rava
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Korrami ♪ TyZula ♬ Kataang ♫ Maiko ♫ Bopal ♪ Sukka

« Reply #325 on: Oct 25, 2014 09:36 pm »

...if only the game didn't freeze and crash during the final boss fight.

Do you play it on a PC or on some gaming console?

yours Rava

Keeper of Aang's Vision of Toph - Iroh's Spirit World sight - Toph's badgermole kiss - Lion turtle's chanting ---  Smiley
Quote from: Fishfood1
you're the king of yuri on ASN
Funkybender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #326 on: Oct 25, 2014 09:50 pm »

I have the PC version. Platinum is relatively new to making PC ports, but so far LOK has been very stable apart from this annoyance. The only other bugs I've seen are minor, such as Korra's dialog not triggering properly, or one of the pro-benders spazzing out before the starting bell rings.

And here's my long-winded Steam review:

Recommended
9.0 hrs last two weeks / 9.0 hrs on record

For fans of Avatar universe, who have had to tolerate shovelware on previous-gen consoles and handhelds, the announcement of The Legend of Korra was a shock and godsend. An adaptation featuring Korra, and spearheaded by a dream team of Platinum Games, Tim Hendrick as the writer, and a sizeable amount of input from Bryke themselves, was more than many could have asked for. Some were cautiously optimistic, since licensed titles in general fall short of expectations; in addition, Platinum was engrossed in finishing up work on its major Wii-U exclusive, Bayonetta 2. After spending time with the game, I believe these trepidations are well justified. This game is far from perfect, and it is apparent that Platinum's "B-Team" were tasked with quickly putting together a licensed title. However, for all its flaws, The Legend of Korra manages to provide a challenging and fun spectacle fighter experience, despite the lack of polish.

The store is bare-bones, and, were it an episode, would easily round out the bottom of the ranks. During the interim between Books 2 and 3, Korra is stripped of her bending (the poor girl, she's been de-bent twice among suffering other ordeals; no wonder she's such a mess at the end of Book 3) and embarks on an extremely linear quest to regain all of her abilities and defeat the old man responsible. Exposition comes through monologues by our protagonist and decently animated cutscenes by Titmouse, responsible for the openings of both the Last Airbender and Legend of Korra. Don't expect any character development; Mako and Bolin are literally thrown out of the story: they are knocked out during the first chapter's pro-bending match and never seen again. Tenzin and his family are conveniently "on vacation," while Asami and others are nowhere to be found. The exception is extra-corporeal floating Jinora, who appears every so often to spout a few platitudes about the schools of bending that lead in to the tasks Korra performs to regain her powers. To be quite honest, I am not particularly bothered by this. The more I play this game, I more I tend to view it as a shooting gallery; targets pop up, and I kick their asses. Story is irrelevant.

What does matter is the gameplay, and thankfully this is one facet where the game excels. The fighting system is well-designed; with all four elements having their strengths, weaknesses, and ideal applications. Water is particularly useful for attacking enemies at range, precise strikes, and stunning foes by freezing or grappling them with spouts of water. Earth is slow-moving, but integral to defeating larger enemies, such as bosses, and inflicting tremendous amounts of AOE damage on crowds and disorienting them. Fire finds its niche in head-to-head brawling and racking up combos, while air combines the area-of-effect attacks found in Earthbending with targetted dashes and attacks reminiscient of Waterbending. Combos are easy to understand and execute, and amount to a sequence of light and heavy attacks. Finishing strikes are activated by a third button, and counters by a simple block, sometimes followed by a series of QTE dodges and counterattacks. All of these work qute well and are satisfying to see. Easily the lowest points of the combat system are the first half-hour of gameplay before Korra gains the use of her first element, and the somewhat wonky camera that occasionally clips through walls and large enemies, or doesn't center on locked-on enemies. There is paltry enemy variety; the main foes you will face are Equalists, dark spirits, Triple Threat Triad members, and mecha-tanks. Aside from brawling, there are several "endless" running sequences where the player dodges obstacles (and later, fights enemies) while riding Naga. They are a nice change of pace, but aren't special when compared to other such games. Finally, a pro-bending mode is unlocked after completing the story mode, which retains most of the bending controls and fuses them with an adapted ruleset of Pro-Bending. It's very engaging, and the matches can get pretty intense.

The Story mode seems to reward exploration by including collectible items that add to Spirit Energy (the game's currency) and additional encounters. Spirit Energy is also acquired by defeating enemies and destroying scenery objects, which led to an amusing situation where Korra commented on how nice it was to see Republic City rebuilding just after I had her obliterate a Satomobile for spirit monies. It is used to buy items at Iroh's Store, which stocks consumables such as those that restore health, scrolls that unlock new bending moves, and talismans that provide stat buffs.

I've spent about 6 hours on Story mode at normal difficulty. Some acquaintances have managed to beat it in 4. There is some replay value; you can play the story again on Extreme difficulty, attempt to collect treasure, achieve higher scores, and replay the entire campaign with all elements unlocked. For 15 bucks, you're getting at least 5 hours of story play at least, plus whatever you wish to spend on replays and Pro-Bending mode. The vast majority of that time is genuinely entertaining and challenging. I find myself wishing that this game had spent more time in development, because at its core is a simple, yet functional and rewarding combat mechanic; the non-existent "plot" and several technical flaws serve only to detract from what is a decent licensed title. As a fan of the universe and the characters and settings within it, I am grudgingly satisifed. It's a shame that there wasn't an opportunity to add another story to this vibrant world, but in the end, I get to beat up lots of dudes with Korra, and that's all that matters.
« Last Edit: Oct 25, 2014 10:51 pm by Funkybender » Logged
Red Hawk
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #327 on: Oct 25, 2014 11:19 pm »

I am enjoying this game a lot more. Airbending is probably the funnest bending I've used.

Yeah, the game's crashed a few times for me on the final boss fight.  Mind you, it didn't crash the first few times I played it, so I would call it a minor issue on my end.  I can reliably play through the final boss fight more often than not.
ViridianIV
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #328 on: Oct 26, 2014 02:04 am »

I am enjoying this game a lot more. Airbending is probably the funnest bending I've used.

What platform?  Mine on the PS3 hasn't crashed once?

\"That woman is my hero.\"
morbosfist
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #329 on: Oct 26, 2014 02:28 am »

Probably referring to the PC version, as this is pretty obviously a console port. No key mapping, have to set screen resolution one at a time. I would kill to be able to map countering to my mouse.
Funkybender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #330 on: Oct 26, 2014 03:17 am »

Probably referring to the PC version, as this is pretty obviously a console port. No key mapping, have to set screen resolution one at a time. I would kill to be able to map countering to my mouse.

This. It's not a bad port and this is the only issue I've had with it so far. Admittedly I am annoyed at the lack of graphics and control customization. I'm not too bothered by not being able to reassign keys; the default control scheme is fine for me. And personally I wouldn't think of playing this game without a gamepad, but it is possible (as the TotalBiscuit video above shows).
MightyFire
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #331 on: Oct 26, 2014 01:13 pm »

The game was rather fun and good eye candy, but the story line was short (and really lackluster in terms of content), seemed a bit out of the universe (I wonder if it'll ever be referenced in the actual series, that would be neat consistency). The final boss fight was kinda interesting (to some extent, it got boring at some segments where the same thing just kept happening over and over again and it was just a wait till you could finally do enough damage) and the parts where you managed to enter the Avatar State were fun - just complete wrecking of everything with epilepsy-inducing visuals, haha. I was not happy at all about the several fights with 2 giant spirits as that was a complete mess camera-wise, at least they made those spirits kinda weak (they didn't do much harm when you were close to them bashing them with area damage airbending attacks mid-air, they were weak compared to the mechatanks that would just punch you to space the moment you spent too much time near it). I found that air bending was super effective in the last chapter when fighting crowds of spirits.

Now I'm just hoping for another video game in the future with lots of content (and general improvement to story & gameplay over this game), something like Skyrim-level, so you could actually get immersed in the game and so it could add a lot to the plot line (maybe in events after the series).

I personally did not have a single bug or crash during my entire playing time on PC with a Logitech XBOX-type controller (X/Y/B/A buttons). Played on normal difficulty, which was slightly challenging (had plenty of restarts at various points - boss fights were hard to go through without excessive Katara's Oasis Water & the 3 healing item usage, the charge boost was very important too as it allowed to finish the fights way faster than usual and with less risk of dying).
« Last Edit: Oct 26, 2014 01:19 pm by MightyFire » Logged
Solid Sun
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

dio did nothing wrong

« Reply #332 on: Oct 26, 2014 02:23 pm »

The game is pretty easy, ELEMENTARY in fact !

Featuring : Polaris, Zyrax HikaruIzumi, Blue Warpath, Prophet of Doom, Weegee the Airbender, TyLuko4Ever, Johan, Riptide, SunxFire and AtoMaki : D
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #333 on: Oct 26, 2014 02:30 pm »

Heyo!

Solid Sun
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

dio did nothing wrong

« Reply #334 on: Oct 28, 2014 01:27 pm »

My Joke murdered the thread.

Featuring : Polaris, Zyrax HikaruIzumi, Blue Warpath, Prophet of Doom, Weegee the Airbender, TyLuko4Ever, Johan, Riptide, SunxFire and AtoMaki : D
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Do the thing!

« Reply #335 on: Oct 28, 2014 01:34 pm »

My Joke murdered the thread.

You know... it was really unclear.

Sig by Guitarfreak.
Ooze33
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Back from the dead?

« Reply #336 on: Oct 28, 2014 03:28 pm »

So the 3DS game came out today, but I haven't had any luck finding reviews for it. I'm interested but I just don't know what to think since the only pre-release material was a handful of screenshots.

I Keep: Aunt Wu's headpiece, Lin Beifong's scar, The Lieutenant's kali sticks, and The Cabbage Merchant's Statue
Rava
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Korrami ♪ TyZula ♬ Kataang ♫ Maiko ♫ Bopal ♪ Sukka

« Reply #337 on: Oct 28, 2014 03:52 pm »

^
It's the beginning of the week, maybe some folks who would do a review just not had the time?

Just wait, maybe for a whole day. I am sure reviews will come.

yours Rava

Keeper of Aang's Vision of Toph - Iroh's Spirit World sight - Toph's badgermole kiss - Lion turtle's chanting ---  Smiley
Quote from: Fishfood1
you're the king of yuri on ASN
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #338 on: Oct 28, 2014 05:38 pm »

Oh, wow, already? I was under the impression that it was holiday release.

Funkybender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #339 on: Oct 28, 2014 07:29 pm »

I found an non-journalist review and video footage here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViOPOqzJDpY
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I can't think of anything clever to say.

« Reply #340 on: Oct 29, 2014 03:06 pm »

Wait the 3DS game is out already? I thought that was like a holiday/early next year thing.

Not sure if I should get it or not...

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character." (As said by me)
Appleboy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #341 on: Nov 02, 2014 01:13 am »

I think I like the game so far. I'm finding it a lot more challenging than I would have thought. I'm stuck at the first encounter with a Mecha Tank.
Fieryfurnace
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Just passin' through

« Reply #342 on: Nov 02, 2014 12:37 pm »

First time I've seen anything about the 3DS game. Looks exactly like Fire Emblem Awakening (without the 3D cutscenes) but reskinned with Korra. The graphics also don't look as good as Fire Emblem Awakening from what I've seen. I probably won't get it since i'm kind of burnt out on Fire Emblem right now.
Weege the Airbender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Airbender for Life

« Reply #343 on: Nov 02, 2014 05:10 pm »

I am debating about getting the 3DS game. There have not been any official reviews yet, but I have not heard good things.

"I told you I would destroy you."
"With you out of the way, I will be the one true Avatar."
"Your name will echo throughout history: Korra, the last Avatar."
ThaiOzai
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #344 on: Nov 02, 2014 09:32 pm »

I am debating about getting the 3DS game. There have not been any official reviews yet, but I have not heard good things.

Same. I want to support TLOK so that maybe we'll get better games down the line, but this seems like a far inferior version of Fire Emblem: Awakening (which is a FANTASTIC game, just btw). $30 is a bit much for a game of questionable quality.
Funkybender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #345 on: Nov 02, 2014 11:49 pm »

I feel the same sentiment, but don't grab the 3DS game just because it's Korra merchandise. Doing that will tell the developers and publishers that we're okay with mediocre games. Buy it if you like it and feel it is worth it.

I am happy with the Platinum game, and will recommend it to any fans of the series (so, this forum).

Runamuck
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #346 on: Nov 09, 2014 02:53 pm »

It seems that DR1’s longstanding media magazine Troldspejlet has taken a look at the Legend of Korra game. Unfortunately there are kind of disappointed. The Korra segment starts at about 3:20.
http://www.dr.dk/ultra/tv/playlist.html?ts=troldspejlet&ss=all&image=troldspejlet

BlackPanther1012
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #347 on: Nov 10, 2014 04:27 pm »

Would you guys say that this is worth buying and playing?

What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.
--Philipians 4:9
Runamuck
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #348 on: Nov 11, 2014 02:34 am »

In case the video won’t play I have made a little transcript of the segment about the Legend of Korra game:

Jakob Stegelmann: The Legend of Korra er efterfølgeren til den fremragende Tv-serie Avatar. Den er ikke så kendt herhjemme, men måske hjælper det nu, hvor den er udkommet som spil.
Tenzin: (undertekster) Jord. Ild. Luft. Vand. Kun avataren kan mestre alle fire elementer.
Jakob Stegelmann: En spiludgave er oplagt, for serier som Naruto, Avatar og Legenden om Korra indeholder mange kampsekvenser, der nemt kan omdannes til spil. Og når det er udvikleren Platinum Games, kendt for den fremragende Bajonetta serie, de står bag er forventningerne høje.
Historien foregår mellem Tv-seriens 3. og 4. sæson. Korra rander ved et tilfælde ind i en gammel mand, som ender med at fjerne hendes superkræfter, som man nu skal vinde tilbage. Det er selvfølgelig ikke lige til og man skal banke sig vej gennem fjende efter fjende for at genvinde signe evner.
Det er med det samme tydeligt at udviklerne har lagt alle kræfter i kampsekvenserne. Det er i hvert fald ikke omgivelserne der er brugt energi på. Gaderne er tomme og teksturene simple, men Tv-seriens streg er godt ramt og man ligger måske i virkeligheden heller ikke mærke til de uimponerede omgivelser når man tæver løs på fjendtlige ninjaer.
Man kunne godt have ønsket sig at Korras kamparsenal var lidt mere kompliceret end to sølle knapper, for man slås nærmest hele tiden, og ens treks bliver alt for hurtigt kedelige at se på. Selv når man har låst op for alle Korras kræfter minder de for meget om hinanden og man sidder hele tiden og venter på en eksplosion af effekter som desværre udebliver.
Korra: (Undertekster) Tag den!
Jakob Stegelmann: Flere gange skal man ride på Korras isbjørn Naga, og her skifter spillestilen til en regulær endless runner, hvor man skal undvige forhindring alt imens man samler point op. Disse sekvenser er spillets allersvageste punkt, da de hverken er vellavede eller underholdende, man kværner bare gennem dem for at komme videre.
Faktisk er Legend of Korra spillet på næsten alle måder en skuffelse, for imens kampsekvenserne er nogenlunde underholdende så mangler resten af spillet i den grad sjæl.
Banerne er tomme, og man føler generelt at der ikke har været tid og penge til at lægge indhold i den ellers spændende og meget levende verden. Synd, for Korra havde ellers fortjent et spil på højde med serien.

And since I doubt that there are that many Danish speakers on the board I have also made a quick little translation:

Jakob Stegelmann: The Legend of Korra is the sequel to the excellent TV-series Avatar. It is not all that well known in Denmark, but maybe that’ll change now that it has gotten a video game adaption.
Tenzin: Earth. Fire. Air. Water. Only the avatar can master all four elements.
Jakob Stegelmann: A video game adaption is obvious for series like Naruto, Avatar and The Legend of Korra because they have many fight scenes, which are easy to turn into gameplay. And when the developer is Platinum Games, who are known for the excellent Bajonetta series, the expectations are quite high.
The story takes place between the TV-series 3rd and 4th season. By accident Korra runs into an old man who ends up taking her superpowers away, and you now have to get them back. This is of course not all that easy, and you have to bear your way through enemy after enemy to win back your powers.
It is immediately obvious that the developers have put all their efforts into the fight sequences. They certainly haven’t wasted any energy on the surroundings. The streets are empty and the textures are simple, but the style of the show has been mimicked well, and maybe you won’t notice the unimpressive surrounding anyway while you are beating up enemy ninjas.
One wishes that Korra’s fighting arsenal was a little more complex than just two puny buttons, because you fight constantly, and your moves get dull to look at far too quickly. Even when you have unlocked all of Korra’s powers they are too similar, and you constantly wait for an explosion of effects that unfortunately never happen.
Korra: Take that!
Jakob Stegelmann: Several times you have to ride on Korra’s polar bear Naga, and here the gameplay changes to a regular endless runner, where you have to avoid obstacles while you are collecting points. These sequences are the weakest aspect of the game, since they are neither well-made nor entertaining; you just grind through them to get further in the game.
Honestly the Legend of Korra game is a disappointment in almost every way, while the fight sequences are fairly entertaining the rest of the game highly lacks soul and passion.
The levels are empty, you generally feel that there was a lack of time and money needed to put content into the otherwise exciting and living world. It’s a pity; Korra had deserved a game on level with the TV-series.

« Last Edit: Nov 11, 2014 02:36 am by Runamuck » Logged
Funkybender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #349 on: Nov 11, 2014 09:09 am »

Fire = four like sex = six. Oh Scandinavia. Tongue

I agree with him on most points. I think the final Naga sequence is quite fun actually, and I'd rate the combat higher than he does. But his criticisms are all valid and I echo his disappointment over lack of time and money.
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: