Jul 21, 2017 09:55 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TLOK games from Platinum Games & Webfoot Technologies coming this year  (Read 118397 times)
Red Hawk
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #25 on: Jun 25, 2014 06:08 pm »

^ Yeah, I saw the screenshots. It looks pretty similar to the show which makes me happy.

As for the equalist plot, why would they include chi-blockers if they weren't going to finish that storyline up? What has me more confused is that the trailer showed Dark Spirits...are they kinda gone now that Vaatu is vanquished?

I think it's still possible for a spirit to turn "dark" without Vaatu's influence.  I think the Hei Bei's monstrous form and rampaging sort of qualifies as a Dark Spirit.  There could still be spirits who aren't exactly friendly to Korra.

There could be missions based on episodes such as Vaatu's fight or Amon's, explaining the presence of Dark Spirits.
And are the equalists even existing now ? I mean, their leader was a bender after all.

It's an original story, so I doubt we're going to see Vaatu or Amon appear because, to quote a fictional doctor, "They're dead, Jim."

Presumably the equalists continued to be a problem, even if at a lower level without Amon's leadership.
A lot of movies and television shows take place over a short time period. Did you know that most of seasons two and three of Yu-Gi-Oh takes place over a twenty four time period?

Anyway, I am interested in the idea, though it bothers me that we are going to have an Ashoka type situation where something seemingly important is not mentioned any where else in the canon, even though it was very recent. And yes, I know you scoff at the idea of a canon.

Since Tim Hedrick's involved, I think it's possible that we'll get some nods to the events of the game in the show, or at least Hedrick can help ensure that nothing the show does is blatantly inconsistent with the game.
ahintoflime
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #26 on: Jun 25, 2014 06:10 pm »

-Platinum games-
That's good

-But most of P* is working on Bayonetta 2 and the port for 1 and Scalebound, we might just get the people who made Anarchy Reigns and Mad World here-
That's bad

-PC port therefore allowing mods-
That's good

-Activision-
That's bad

-Tim Hedrick from AtLA-
That's good

-Tim Hedrick from LoK-
That's...

Well at best we get "Nanomachines, Korra." and jiggle physics but at worst we get Book 2 of LoK.

Solid Sun
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

dio did nothing wrong

« Reply #27 on: Jun 25, 2014 06:11 pm »

This actually sounds really interesting! Maybe this is finally the avatar game we've all been hoping for, lol.

Sorry, it doesn't star Aang. Tongue

That would be weird to see Aang tear his way trough mooks "I WON'T HAVE REMORSES FOR NON NAMED CHARACTERS !!! DIE !!"

^ Yeah, I saw the screenshots. It looks pretty similar to the show which makes me happy.

As for the equalist plot, why would they include chi-blockers if they weren't going to finish that storyline up? What has me more confused is that the trailer showed Dark Spirits...are they kinda gone now that Vaatu is vanquished?

I think it's still possible for a spirit to turn "dark" without Vaatu's influence.  I think the Hei Bei's monstrous form and rampaging sort of qualifies as a Dark Spirit.  There could still be spirits who aren't exactly friendly to Korra.

There could be missions based on episodes such as Vaatu's fight or Amon's, explaining the presence of Dark Spirits.
And are the equalists even existing now ? I mean, their leader was a bender after all.

It's an original story, so I doubt we're going to see Vaatu or Amon appear because, to quote a fictional doctor, "They're dead, Jim."

Presumably the equalists continued to be a problem, even if at a lower level without Amon's leadership.
A lot of movies and television shows take place over a short time period. Did you know that most of seasons two and three of Yu-Gi-Oh takes place over a twenty four time period?

Anyway, I am interested in the idea, though it bothers me that we are going to have an Ashoka type situation where something seemingly important is not mentioned any where else in the canon, even though it was very recent. And yes, I know you scoff at the idea of a canon.

Since Tim Hedrick's involved, I think it's possible that we'll get some nods to the events of the game in the show, or at least Hedrick can help ensure that nothing the show does is blatantly inconsistent with the game.

Yeah but it could be "Flashback" or something like that.
« Last Edit: Jun 25, 2014 06:13 pm by Solid Sun » Logged

Featuring : Polaris, Zyrax HikaruIzumi, Blue Warpath, Prophet of Doom, Weegee the Airbender, TyLuko4Ever, Johan, Riptide, SunxFire and AtoMaki : D
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #28 on: Jun 25, 2014 06:40 pm »

That was the lamest game trailer ever.

Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I can't think of anything clever to say.

« Reply #29 on: Jun 25, 2014 07:45 pm »

Yeah, the trailer could have been better.

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character." (As said by me)
Solid Sun
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

dio did nothing wrong

« Reply #30 on: Jun 25, 2014 07:48 pm »

The main problem is that we see the main character being overwhelmed and killed.
I mean, I know that's what would happen to Beat 'em up heroes IRL but...

Featuring : Polaris, Zyrax HikaruIzumi, Blue Warpath, Prophet of Doom, Weegee the Airbender, TyLuko4Ever, Johan, Riptide, SunxFire and AtoMaki : D
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #31 on: Jun 25, 2014 07:50 pm »

I didn't think the trailer implied she was killed...

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character." (As said by me)
Solid Sun
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

dio did nothing wrong

« Reply #32 on: Jun 25, 2014 07:53 pm »

I didn't think the trailer implied she was killed...

Yeah but overwhelmed still.

SpiritMask
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Smugface is smug

bandicootmask@hotmail.co.uk
« Reply #33 on: Jun 25, 2014 07:54 pm »

This is all sorta okay

until I realized that Activision was involved

Speaking as someone who knows from insider info how Activision can really screw over the workflow of a good dev team, I'm slightly worried.

'let's be careful out there'
-Phil Esterhaus
Stupendous
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

juice for grown-ups

« Reply #34 on: Jun 25, 2014 08:01 pm »

This actually sounds really interesting! Maybe this is finally the avatar game we've all been hoping for, lol.

Sorry, it doesn't star Aang. Tongue

Fair, fair point. But beggars can't be choosers.

*shivers with repressed memories of THQ*

Keeper of Korra's armband, Asami's impeccable style, and the Air Kids' sibling shenanigans
Solid Sun
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

dio did nothing wrong

« Reply #35 on: Jun 25, 2014 08:08 pm »

I think we're a bit too harsh, we know nothing about this game but we're already seeing it'll be bad.

Uzuko
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #36 on: Jun 25, 2014 08:11 pm »

This is true. Wan Shi Tong didn't even need to be influenced to side with the spirit and human that wanted to destroy the world. I wonder if he can turn spirits dark.
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #37 on: Jun 25, 2014 08:15 pm »

So how much of a chance do you think we have at this game being multiplayer?

3v3 multiplayer pro-bending?

Stupendous
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

juice for grown-ups

« Reply #38 on: Jun 25, 2014 08:49 pm »

I think we're a bit too harsh, we know nothing about this game but we're already seeing it'll be bad.

I'm not saying it'll be bad at all! In fact, this is one of my rare moments of unbridled positivity.

And I don't think we can do much worse than the ones we've had in the past so w/e.

Keeper of Korra's armband, Asami's impeccable style, and the Air Kids' sibling shenanigans
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #39 on: Jun 25, 2014 08:52 pm »

Thread in TLOK moved and merged with the thread in marketplace. Merchandise and video games belong to this board

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
azekeprofit
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

A picture is worth a thousand words

« Reply #40 on: Jun 25, 2014 09:00 pm »

Platinum Games is one of the my favourite developers ever. Avatar is my favourite thing ever.

They've made the best game of last year Wonderful 101, along with classic Bayonetta. I've put over 150 hours into W101 and over 200 into Bayonetta and still have lots of fun and still find new things to learn.

I didn't even dared to dream of such a match.

Oh my god.

How Avatar is titled throughout the world:

PM if you see a mistake
aang_and_luffy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #41 on: Jun 25, 2014 09:49 pm »

I honestly can't wait for this. I've never played any of Platinums games but everybody seems really excited about it, I'm definitely going to check out some of their games. Maybe Bayonetta first. Also, pro-bending confirmed? Hell yes. I think I'm more excited about this than I am Mirrors Edge 2
Red Hawk
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #42 on: Jun 25, 2014 10:31 pm »

on XBOX, Playstation, Steam and 3DS

YES!

According to the IGN article, the 3DS game is being developed by a different studio, as a "turn-based strategy game" with "focus on tactically maneuvering Korra and her allies on the battlefield", and  Which is just fine by me, turn-based strategy on the 3DS has me  hoping for something in the vein of Fire Emblem.  But yes, the action game that Platinum is making is also coming to PC.

Thread in TLOK moved and merged with the thread in marketplace. Merchandise and video games belong to this board

Ah ok, gotcha.  Any chance we can get the news posted to Avatarspirit.net's news feed?
Rava
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Korrami ♪ TyZula ♬ Kataang ♫ Maiko ♫ Bopal ♪ Sukka

« Reply #43 on: Jun 25, 2014 10:42 pm »

The difference here is that Shyamalan had a terrible reputation by the time he was given the reins to A:tLA, while Platinum is one of the best action game devs out there.

That's how I see it as well...

Wink  Not to mention the story's written by one of the A:tLA/LoK writers...

Who again is that?

And about the game creator, since they are the same who also did Bayonetta (no double entente meant here, you pervs!)
Is that right? Graphics and gaming wise it should be an awesome game, that's what I heard. I still refused to look into it deeper, cause, you know, playing a witch who attacks and kills angels... is not my thing. The other way round, be a witch who attacks demons and stuff who would otherwise attack or possess helpless (or at least: way more helpless folks than the witches) would be a game for yours truly...

Now think of me as a wuss, hypocrite or whatever. I have my moral standards and feel good about having them...  Cheesy
« Last Edit: Jun 25, 2014 10:45 pm by Rava » Logged

yours Rava

Keeper of Aang's Vision of Toph - Iroh's Spirit World sight - Toph's badgermole kiss - Lion turtle's chanting ---  Smiley
Quote from: Fishfood1
you're the king of yuri on ASN
Red Hawk
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #44 on: Jun 25, 2014 10:53 pm »

Who again is that?

Tim Hedrick.  His credits include The Avatar State, The Desert, City of Walls and Secrets, and The Puppetmaster on ATLA, and Beginnings Part 2 and A New Spiritual Age on LoK.

And about the game creator, since they are the same who also did Bayonetta (no double entente meant here, you pervs!)
Is that right? Graphics and gaming wise it should be an awesome game, that's what I heard. I still refused to look into it deeper, cause, you know, playing a witch who attacks and kills angels... is not my thing. The other way round, be a witch who attacks demons and stuff who would otherwise attack or possess helpless (or at least: way more helpless folks than the witches) would be a game for yours truly...

Now think of me as a wuss, hypocrite or whatever. I have my moral standards and feel good about having them...  Cheesy

Heh, I'm with you in the story for Bayonetta not really being my cup of tea.  All that really matters, though, is if Platinum has a reputation for making games with great gameplay, which apparently they do.  It's got a far better chance of success than the old ATLA games just going by that, and Tim Hedrick being on the project seals the deal that I'm optimistic.  The game could still suck, but I'm comfortable in hoping that it isn't.  Don't let me down guys!
azekeprofit
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

A picture is worth a thousand words

« Reply #45 on: Jun 25, 2014 11:02 pm »

Heh, I'm with you in the story for Bayonetta not really being my cup of tea.
Story in Bayonetta is trash. Story in W101 is amazing though.

But that doesn't matter because obviously Platinum Games won't have a say in this and will only do gameplay for this. And was Korra even shown in Japan? They probably won't care about it much and will just mail it in.

Still and it's Platinum, creators of the most HYPE games ever and even their lesser games (Revengeance and Madworld) are still better than anything AAA developers churn out.

Also this is as good of a reason to post one of my favourite fan-art of Bayonetta:

made by Lauren Montgomery who has since became producer on Korra Book 3 and onwards.

How Avatar is titled throughout the world:

PM if you see a mistake
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #46 on: Jun 25, 2014 11:57 pm »

Ah ok, gotcha.  Any chance we can get the news posted to Avatarspirit.net's news feed?
It'll be updated when it's updated. You know, work and real life in the way and all that?

---------

So will the game be an RPG or is there a linear story line or what?

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Red Hawk
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #47 on: Jun 26, 2014 12:43 am »

It'll be updated when it's updated. You know, work and real life in the way and all that?

---------

No worries, just thought I'd mention it since you're someone with apparent authority to update the news feed. Wink

According to the IGN article, it's a "third person combat" game; I'd just call it an action game.  You play as Korra.  So probably a linear story and not too much on the RPG side.  Still, the story is being written by ATLA and LoK writer Tim Hedrick, who has a lot of good episodes credited to him, so I'm hopeful for the story.  And I'm hopeful for the gameplay in general, since it's being handled by the well-reputed studio Platinum Games.  While an RPG set in the world of Avatar/Legend of Korra where you can make your own character and have a relatively open world to explore would be awesome, you won't see me complaining as long as we get a halfway decent action game with a good storyline.   Grin

One thing that I hope doesn't get lost in the shuffle is the simultaneously announced but separate 3DS game.  It's turn-based  strategy rather than an action game, and it's being developed by a different studio, Webfoot Technologies. They're a relatively low-profile studio, but they have been around a while.  Looking them up on Wikipedia reveals they made the Dragon Ball Z Legacy of Goku games back on the Gameboy Advance.
« Last Edit: Jun 26, 2014 12:46 am by Red Hawk » Logged
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #48 on: Jun 26, 2014 01:56 am »

Well its a incensed downloadable game. Maybe I'm wrong but right now I am under the impression that it is not a full 60 dollar game either. It'll be a 15 dollar or so 'arcade' title.

That means we should probably expect a 3-4 hour linear single player campaign with minimal RPG elements. I don't think we should be expecting any more then that.

Spiritwhisperer
Board Moderator
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #49 on: Jun 26, 2014 04:25 am »

I'm pretty optimistic. I'm not that well-versed in the reputations of game-developers, but from what I'm reading in this thread, the game developer is pretty good. On top of that the writer is one with some of the better (and some of the very best) episodes to his name. Tim wrote a LoK episode that even Loopy liked!

"In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.”
- Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: