Mar 24, 2017 02:20 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Episode:
10 - 36 (46.8%)
9 - 25 (32.5%)
8 - 10 (13%)
7 - 6 (7.8%)
6 - 0 (0%)
5 - 0 (0%)
4 - 0 (0%)
3 - 0 (0%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 77

Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [301] A Breath of Fresh Air  (Read 20069 times)
SMBH
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Lord Zuko is not amused

« Reply #225 on: Jul 15, 2014 04:23 pm »

weird mentally unstable-looking guys who suicidally climb to the top of huge bridges when they're scared (um lol okay ?)

It's possible that he didn't climb there on purpose. Maybe after he left his brother's store he was still freaking out about airbending, and the more he freaked out the more he airbended, until all of a sudden he's at maximum freakoutedness and BAM, he's on top of a bridge. Though of course he could still have been feeling suicidal on top of that.

ATLA Keeps: Kuei's necklace, Pandalilies, Zhaodburns, Sokka's DoBS speech
TLOK Keeps: Sparkly bush, Aang's statue, Korrlok, Asami's racetrack
zukataang
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #226 on: Jul 15, 2014 07:25 pm »

Well, Bolin said that "he ran away and climbed to the top of Kyoshi bridge" when the police tried to catch him. I figured that "climbing" meant literal manual climbing. Or is it used figuratively to mean rising in any manner (which would include bending)? Sorry, English isn't my first language.

Him getting up there by accident airbending as you said would have made sense and come across as a lot less randomly funny. I feel evil for being amused because he looked terrified, but, shouting and blasting doors open and running away with his hands flailing around and climbing monuments, that character looked so crazy I just couldn't ><'.
NeeNee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

We will not be quiet.

« Reply #227 on: Jul 15, 2014 07:31 pm »

^ I'm pretty sure "climbed" was just their best guess.

I mean, "he accidently blasted himself up there with airbending" isn't the first thing you think about when you find a random guy standing on a bridge. I don't blame them for assuming he climbed.

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #228 on: Jul 15, 2014 08:15 pm »

It didn't even need to be a single blast. Maybe he was fleeing from the police or his brother and just found himself running up the bridge structure.

Yong Wing
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm a brand new sky to hang the stars upon tonight

« Reply #229 on: Jul 16, 2014 10:54 pm »

Wow... What an apropos title for this episode.

I finally caught the season premiere, haven't seen the other two in this apparent three-parter (or however it was leaked or broadcasted), but I am ecstatic just from this one alone! Literally, "A Breath of Fresh Air!" After two seasons of this show where there was so much potential as well as so much letdown, FINALLY an episode where I not only can't think of a single complaint but it feels like an episode from the original ATLA.

I've heard Rob Walker (brother to Doug Walker of Nostalgia Critic) say these episodes made LOK finally feel like a worthy successor to ATLA. Based off this one episode, I'm very hopeful I might just agree with him. Smiley

Not even five minutes in, we open up with Bumi chasing Jinora's spirit buddy from last season. Cute enough, but then... MAJOR PLOT TWIST! Bumi can Airbend. Not only that, but he's not the only one. More Airbenders! The possibilities for this plotline are just... yes! Korra is unpopular for her decision to integrate the spirit world and the material world, which lands her in hot water when vines begin dominating the city. The president blames her and the media blames her. Tenzin gives her a great "wisdom moment" about how the responsibilities of the Avatar don't always mesh with unanimous popularity. Bolin humorously interrupts, and I'm glad to see he's recovered from his rather obnoxious attitude last season.

The new villain is interesting. Just from the way he talked, I didn't find his sudden masterful Airbending moves surprising. He sounded like someone who'd been studying that kind of stuff for a long time, so it's not implausible. It was a bad@$$ introduction, and a cool freakin' escape scene.

Weirdly enough, the best part of the episode for me? A talk about relationships between Korra and Asami.

They each acknowledge they kissed Mako while he was dating the other... and they laugh about it! I blinked and was like, "Wait... No forced love-triangle angst?" And a light shone through my window, backed by an angelic chorus, and a voice said, "No. No forced love-triangle angst." I wept with joy, got on my knees, and praised the Lord! Grin

Although...

Is it just me, or did anyone else get some serious lesbian vibes from Korra and Asami? I mean... I dunno. For some reason, I was kind of expecting them to kiss. Then I shook my head and said, "Wait a minute. This is a kids' show. There's no way they'd do that." But then, ATLA has taken risks before, so... I dunno. I'm seeing hints of a possible romance between the two, but I'll be happy enough that they have this really nice friendship. Smiley

All in all, a 10/10 for me.

Sig by Sedai ^_^
The Shpee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #230 on: Jul 16, 2014 11:24 pm »

tbh, when you got a show like freaking Good Luck Charlie pushing the boundaries for lesbian relationships, I definitely think that Korra can as well. Though I don't know if they will exactly go that route and kinda prefer it just for the sole reason that I want one person who is good friends with Korra who isn't a love interest like how Bolin and Mako were.
zukataang
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #231 on: Jul 17, 2014 07:46 am »

They each acknowledge they kissed Mako while he was dating the other... and they laugh about it! I blinked and was like, "Wait... No forced love-triangle angst?" And a light shone through my window, backed by an angelic chorus, and a voice said, "No. No forced love-triangle angst." I wept with joy, got on my knees, and praised the Lord! Grin

INORITE. What a huge bullet we dodged. 'Love your imagery. Cheesy

Is it just me, or did anyone else get some serious lesbian vibes from Korra and Asami? I mean... I dunno. For some reason, I was kind of expecting them to kiss. Then I shook my head and said, "Wait a minute. This is a kids' show. There's no way they'd do that." But then, ATLA has taken risks before, so... I dunno. I'm seeing hints of a possible romance between the two, but I'll be happy enough that they have this really nice friendship. Smiley

Eh, I don't really see where you got the serious (or even not serious) lesbian vibes from. Like, at all? Just looked like two girls being friends to me.  

I [...] kinda prefer it just for the sole reason that I want one person who is good friends with Korra who isn't a love interest like how Bolin and Mako were.

Yeah. Korasami is nicely filling a void, as Korra remarked herself.

Besides, having a kickbutt, abrasive, muscular (thus traditionally manly) female be the first lesbian main character in a major TV show might not be so progressist after all because of how stereotypical it is ("a girl that butch can't be completely straight!").
Two pretty girls making out also has the cringeworthy side-effect of giving off a "male eye candy" vibe (only to me?), which doesn't help the LGBT cause either because – and I don't mean to sound too preachy feminist nag-ish here but –  Lesbians are not decorations (or objects to lust after), they are people like you and I Tongue. I wouldn't mind Korra and Asami's looks if it weren't the case, but the case is that young lesbian characters were very pretty girls in pretty much every TV show I remember seeing them in.

If Bryke are going to include LGBT couples, I'd like them to really break boundaries by having two very manly guys turn out to be gay (to counter the flamboyant, effeminate gay male stereotype) or two girls with average looks (which means, preferably without wavy ebony hair straight from a salon commercial, hypnotic eyes, heavy make up or notable Ty lee-boobs like Korra's).
« Last Edit: Jul 17, 2014 09:20 am by zukataang » Logged
Yong Wing
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #232 on: Jul 17, 2014 09:53 pm »

INORITE. What a huge bullet we dodged. 'Love your imagery. Cheesy

Thanks. Wink

Eh, I don't really see where you got the serious (or even not serious) lesbian vibes from. Like, at all? Just looked like two girls being friends to me.

Well, it's probably just me wanting Pat Robertson to condemn the show as immoral and give it some extra publicity. Tongue But like I said, I'm fine with wherever the show goes with their relationship. They have good chemistry, whether as friends or as more than that. Smiley

I [...] kinda prefer it just for the sole reason that I want one person who is good friends with Korra who isn't a love interest like how Bolin and Mako were.

Yeah. Korasami is nicely filling a void, as Korra remarked herself.

Besides, having a kickbutt, abrasive, muscular (thus traditionally manly) female be the first lesbian main character in a major TV show might not be so progressist after all because of how stereotypical it is ("a girl that butch can't be completely straight!").
Two pretty girls making out also has the cringeworthy side-effect of giving off a "male eye candy" vibe (only to me?), which doesn't help the LGBT cause either because – and I don't mean to sound too preachy feminist nag-ish here but –  Lesbians are not decorations (or objects to lust after), they are people like you and I Tongue. I wouldn't mind Korra and Asami's looks if it weren't the case, but the case is that young lesbian characters were very pretty girls in pretty much every TV show I remember seeing them in.

Ehhh... I both agree and disagree. Unfortunately, this is kind of a problem with representation of minorities in media. They're often stereotyped no matter which end of the pendulum characters go. Characters of color can get criticized for acting too stereotypical for anything from criminality to comic relief, but can also get criticized for acting so generic that any cultural or unique personality traits get lost. Either a gay character is too flamboyant that they're a walking comic stereotype or they're too "normal" because that's the only way the audience would supposedly accept them. With lesbian characters, there's the same issue. On the one hand, we have the issue of "lipstick lesbians". On the other hand, we have the issue of "butch lesbians". No matter what a writer does, their lesbian characters are going to fall into those two stereotypes either way.

I'm not saying I desire for the show to take a risk and make Korra and Asami a lesbian couple, but I wouldn't necessarily mind it either if the show were to go that route.

And I do believe such a revelation can be done tastefully, without falling into the unfortunate implications of "Girl-on-Girl is Hot". I'm not sure if you've played the video game The Last of Us: Left Behind, but to try and not spoil anything, there is a very tasteful kiss between two female characters that doesn't feel exploitative at all. Not only that, but the characters are so engaging and the progression toward the kiss is so good, it genuinely feels like an emotional moment and not just there for titillation. Here's the scene to give you an idea, though I should warn you it contains spoilers, if you haven't played it.

Anyway, like I said, I like Korra's and Asami's relationship. I'd be fine with wherever the show takes it. Smiley

Sig by Sedai ^_^
Spiritwhisperer
Forum Moderator
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #233 on: Jul 17, 2014 10:27 pm »

Honestly, I kinda prefer platonic relations and friendships to romantic friendships, regardless of the genders involved. Relations like Mako and Bolin's brother dynamic, and Korra and Tenzin's mentee-mentor relationship are the ones that work best for me in the entire show, and feel better developed.

"In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.”
- Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
christina896
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #234 on: Jul 19, 2014 09:14 am »

Besides, having a kickbutt, abrasive, muscular (thus traditionally manly) female be the first lesbian main character in a major TV show might not be so progressist after all because of how stereotypical it is

It wouldn't be stereotypical. It's never been done before.

("a girl that butch can't be completely straight!").

"A girl that feminine can't be gay." This happens all the time, and it's harmful to queer women. Why focus on how a queer Korra might affect cishet women?

Two pretty girls making out also has the cringeworthy side-effect of giving off a "male eye candy" vibe (only to me?), which doesn't help the LGBT cause either because – and I don't mean to sound too preachy feminist nag-ish here but –  Lesbians are not decorations (or objects to lust after), they are people like you and I Tongue.

I see it as a great opportunity to challenge what you're describing. LoK consistently subverts the male gaze, from what I recall. The only stumble that comes to mind is Ginger's introduction.

If Bryke are going to include LGBT couples, I'd like them to really break boundaries by having two very manly guys turn out to be gay (to counter the flamboyant, effeminate gay male stereotype) or two girls with average looks

Showing stereotypical behaviors is not a sin. It becomes a problem when that's the only portrayal in a given piece of media, or when said behaviors are coded as negative. Variety is key.

Do you want to know what stereotype is innately negative? Relegating queer characters to secondary roles. A queer main character—yes, even one with masculine-coded traits—in this type of production would be unprecedented.

Also:

Oh, man, this episode was a goldmine for queer readings. I mean, every part of their scenes together. Seriously. Every part. The music when Asami appears after the press conference? Queer as hell. You've got to open your brain to the possibilities. Cheesy
« Last Edit: Jul 19, 2014 09:19 am by christina896 » Logged
zukataang
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #235 on: Jul 19, 2014 12:21 pm »

Ehhh... I both agree and disagree. Unfortunately, this is kind of a problem with representation of minorities in media. They're often stereotyped no matter which end of the pendulum characters go. Characters of color can get criticized for acting too stereotypical for anything from criminality to comic relief, but can also get criticized for acting so generic that any cultural or unique personality traits get lost. Either a gay character is too flamboyant that they're a walking comic stereotype or they're too "normal" because that's the only way the audience would supposedly accept them. With lesbian characters, there's the same issue. On the one hand, we have the issue of "lipstick lesbians". On the other hand, we have the issue of "butch lesbians". No matter what a writer does, their lesbian characters are going to fall into those two stereotypes either way.

Hmmm… I’m trying to think of girls getting together in the show who wouldn’t fall in these categories and it is indeed quite difficult to come up with some. But then again, there aren’t many young girls in the show (or young people at all. I just realized that most are middle aged or elderly. Hey, that doesn’t happen often either in kids shows.)

I guess the characters who wouldn’t are mostly kids. Like Meng and Jinora or something. They’re both average looking and neither remarkably feminine nor masculine and kids just don’t give off a “hot” vibe in general anyway. Besides, this culture is pretty guarded when it comes to sexuality in general, but I often see homosexual PDAs be talked about as though it’s a perverse thing that kids should be shielded away from even more than heterosexual ones, so there’s another boundary that a young homosexual romance would break in this show.

I must admit that the scene from that video game was really nicely done. One of them could as well have been a guy and it wouldn’t have changed a thing at all. Their looks are rather average though, I can’t help but wonder if it would have been the same thing if they were both as attractive as Asami.

Besides, having a kickbutt, abrasive, muscular (thus traditionally manly) female be the first lesbian main character in a major TV show might not be so progressist after all because of how stereotypical it is

It wouldn't be stereotypical. It's never been done before.

A butch lesbian main character has not been done before, but the stereotype of the butch lesbian does exist regardless of that.

There aren’t many (or any?) female main characters who have Korra’s very boyish design and temperament. Korra's character is progressive in a feminist sense in that it shows that girls can act that feisty and look the way she does (very toned as opposed to Katara’s, Mai's, Ty lee's, Azula’s, Suki's and Asami's, slim bodies. Even super strong June was unrealistically not muscular) and it won’t make them abnormal or unattractive. Making her gay, helps reinforce the idea that straight girls aren’t that boyish, but lesbians are. They're either that or very girly, as Young Wing said.

("a girl that butch can't be completely straight!").

"A girl that feminine can't be gay." This happens all the time

I actually barely ever come across people who say that, to be honest. Especially with all these very feminine celebs like Katy Perry and Britney publicly kissing other girls and nobody finding it surprising. “Lipstick lesbians” are even a thing on Wiki.

“A guy that masculine can’t be gay.” Is what happens all the time, from my experience. I’m not questioning that your experience differs from mine though!

Why focus on how a queer Korra might affect cishet women?

I’m not focusing solely on that. I think the way it affects both gay and straight women should be taken account of. Straight girls mind that their sexuality is questioned when they look and act boyish and I suppose that lesbians mind being perversely ogled at in their affectionate moments, being viewed as vulgar or being expected to be butch/very feminine.

Two pretty girls making out also has the cringeworthy side-effect of giving off a "male eye candy" vibe (only to me?), which doesn't help the LGBT cause either because – and I don't mean to sound too preachy feminist nag-ish here but –  Lesbians are not decorations (or objects to lust after), they are people like you and I Tongue.

I see it as a great opportunity to challenge what you're describing. LoK consistently subverts the male gaze, from what I recall. The only stumble that comes to mind is Ginger's introduction.

They don't make girl body parts bounce around more than necessary and stuff as is done in anime, but they clearly wanted us to immediately notice how stunning Asami is. There's a reason to all her glamorous hair shaking and Mako being charmed by her at first sight. She has very above average girly looks that would easily get a hetero male viewer’s fantasy rolling if they were presented with a lesbian scene of her. I don't see how her being a lesbian would be subversive in the male gaze area.

If Bryke are going to include LGBT couples, I'd like them to really break boundaries by having two very manly guys turn out to be gay (to counter the flamboyant, effeminate gay male stereotype) or two girls with average looks

Showing stereotypical behaviors is not a sin. It becomes a problem when that's the only portrayal in a given piece of media, or when said behaviors are coded as negative. Variety is key.

True. That’s why I said I wouldn’t mind Asami being a lesbian with above average looks if that wasn’t how most young lesbians are portrayed in TV shows, but, based on my experience, it is how they're portrayed, so it does bother me a little.

Oh, man, this episode was a goldmine for queer readings. I mean, every part of their scenes together. Seriously. Every part. The music when Asami appears after the press conference? Queer as hell. You've got to open your brain to the possibilities. Cheesy

I’d agree if they stared at each other in silent admiration of the other’s beauty or acted coy around each other or, you know, displayed any type of behavior that normal friends wouldn’t, but I’m just not seeing that. Any friendly gesture can be interpreted as romantic, so you surely can see lesbian signs if that’s what you're looking for, but I usually don’t suspect a romantic connection when no blatantly ambiguous or exclusively romantic signs are expressed.   

Asami comforted Korra with touching background music playing after the press conference, sure, and then there was this whole “I like that we’re on good terms, this is nice” moment between them, but nobody talked about catching gay vibes from this scene and these ones, so I donno >_>. Maybe people are just more likely to interpret girl-bonding as more than platonic than guy-bonding.

NeeNee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

We will not be quiet.

« Reply #236 on: Jul 19, 2014 03:24 pm »

^ I'm pretty sure that last scene (along with the 'grabbing him from behind to steal his fire' thing) is the base of the entire Zukaang ship. Yes, that ship got popular all of a sudden after the Sun Warriors episode.

I agree with you that it's just shipping goggles though. I didn't see anything romantic about the Korra/Asami scene, and I'm pretty sure nothing was meant to be there either. But people will ship anything they like regardless.

zukataang
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #237 on: Jul 19, 2014 04:14 pm »

But that was a spoof ship like Zucest and the like, wasn't it? Nobody actually believed that Zuko and Aang would become an item, like some seem to with Korrasami now.

And just a random thought: Zukaang would have been a funny plot twist in the raging Zutara vs Kataang shipping war saga back then. Roll Eyes
ViridianIV
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #238 on: Jul 19, 2014 04:35 pm »

Korrasami is complete fan shipment.  The two of them are just friends, and it isn't that hard to believe.  It's only because there's rarely a second woman in the movies and television shows in the same vein as Korra (Action/adventure) and when there is they are arguing over a man that a few people feel there MUST be a connection there!  Because they are both talking to each other!  Sometimes not even about Mako!  THEIR IN LUV!  Cue male nosebleeds.

Think back to school people, girls flocked to the bathroom in groups of six and I can promise you nothing nosebleed worthy was going on.  They were just, *gasp* friends!

\"That woman is my hero.\"
Spiritwhisperer
Forum Moderator
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #239 on: Jul 19, 2014 04:45 pm »

Think back to school people, girls flocked to the bathroom in groups of six and I can promise you nothing nosebleed worthy was going on.  They were just, *gasp* friends!

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #240 on: Jul 19, 2014 07:41 pm »

I always figured the group bathroom breaks were some kind of weird flocking behavior leftover from crossed evolutionary wires.

Similar to why guys like sports.

Xagzan
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #241 on: Jul 21, 2014 01:23 pm »

Well, there goes my whole belief system.

ViridianIV
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #242 on: Jul 21, 2014 01:26 pm »

Well, there goes my whole belief system.

xD sorry.

\"That woman is my hero.\"
Landshark
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #243 on: Jul 21, 2014 07:39 pm »

Question: Did Zaheer directly throw the metalbender off a cliff? Just rewatched it on Youtube, and there are 5 guards, but only 4 of them are thrust into the cell. Plus it doesn't make sense to really imprison them with a metalbender, since they could have easily escaped and warned the rest of the White Lotus that Zaheer had escaped. It's a safe assumption they're all dead now since going that long without food or water would certainly do it.
Spiritwhisperer
Forum Moderator
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #244 on: Jul 21, 2014 07:44 pm »

It took me a couple times when rewatching it, but he does kick all 5 into the cell. In the wideshot from a distance, he kicks one back with a blast of air, throwing him into the cell. Other guards obstruct the view, so it looks a bit like he's just pushed back to the others.

Landshark
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #245 on: Jul 21, 2014 07:57 pm »

It took me a couple times when rewatching it, but he does kick all 5 into the cell. In the wideshot from a distance, he kicks one back with a blast of air, throwing him into the cell. Other guards obstruct the view, so it looks a bit like he's just pushed back to the others.

I'm watching it again, and I just don't see a 5th guard thrust in there. I notice that one guy is bent off screen though, and that's where I assume he fell to his death. I've been thinking for a while that it was just dumb for him to not have killed the metalbender, but maybe he did. Here's the step by step:

1) Thrusts first guard into the cell. (1 down)
2) Comes out and thrusts wind on everyone, knocking 2 guards off screen, which would be near the edge of the platform.
3) Jumps up on top of a firebender after he bends at him and thrusts him in the cell. (2 down)
4) Dodges an earthbender, jumps around, and only 2 guards are left.

I don't see where he would have had the opportunity to knock him in the cell.
Spiritwhisperer
Forum Moderator
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #246 on: Jul 21, 2014 08:43 pm »

Guard #1

Guard #2, after he swept the others off their feet with his airblast.

After that 3 guards still remain. Although 2 of them rolled off-screen when Zaheer came out of the prison, they didn't roll off the mountain.

Wideshot, 3 guards.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-l6pF6JmfV2g/U83AASRYgHI/AAAAAAAABFU/kpIk3NOEfdo/w1504-h846-no/bscap0048.jpg

1 goes flying into the prison

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Oeu_YLDXm1o/U83AAJ7WejI/AAAAAAAABFM/QoR4VnNaPPY/w1504-h846-no/bscap0046.jpg
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-c0ptBlZqE-s/U83ABEJeh_I/AAAAAAAABFk/2NBUIcDmwqY/w1504-h846-no/bscap0049.jpg

And then 2 remain, those last 2 are knocked into the prison at the same time.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-FE647kTCm5k/U83ABcYD1WI/AAAAAAAABFs/BUeXRbzVKlQ/w1504-h846-no/bscap0050.jpg

Press the links to view them in larger size. ASN has a sizelimit on images inside posts, making them too small to make out the exact detail.
« Last Edit: Jul 21, 2014 08:46 pm by Spiritwhisperer » Logged

Ikkin
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #247 on: Jul 21, 2014 09:42 pm »

Plus it doesn't make sense to really imprison them with a metalbender, since they could have easily escaped and warned the rest of the White Lotus that Zaheer had escaped. It's a safe assumption they're all dead now since going that long without food or water would certainly do it.

Zaheer wasn't counting on the metal bars to keep the guards from escaping, at least not in the long term.  He was counting on the fact that the metal bridge had retracted out of the metalbender's range and the lack of a way down from that perch for anyone without airbending.

I don't think he expected them to starve, either.  He revealed himself at Ghazan's prison long before the guards would have been in any real danger, and the first thing the White Lotus would do after realizing he'd escaped would be to see what happened to the guards.

Korra Ramblings on Tumblr

Child of the Elements - A look at Korra's childhood with the Order of the White Lotus. (Complete)
Yong Wing
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #248 on: Jul 21, 2014 10:29 pm »

But that was a spoof ship like Zucest and the like, wasn't it? Nobody actually believed that Zuko and Aang would become an item, like some seem to with Korrasami now.

I dunno. I think it might be because Legend of Korra's been taking more risks than its predecessor, so a gay main character on a children's show would be pretty revolutionary. But unlike those prior situations where Kataang and Maiko and Sukka and all those other ships were being given some major in-canon pushing, TLOK has pretty much gone out of its way to sabotage much of any chance for either Makorra or Korra/Bolin. All the other dudes on the show are either in relationships or way out of her age range.

So... in that context, for me at least, Korrasami is... kind of possible. They have good chemistry and they're just... cool together. Smiley

And just a random thought: Zukaang would have been a funny plot twist in the raging Zutara vs Kataang shipping war saga back then. Roll Eyes

Indeed, that would've been a nice twist. Wink
« Last Edit: Jul 21, 2014 10:31 pm by Yong Wing » Logged

Sig by Sedai ^_^
Landshark
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #249 on: Jul 22, 2014 10:22 pm »

Hey, sorry guys. I was watching a widescreen mode that cut out a third guy on the side of the cliff face midway through the fight. That's where my confusion was stemming from. Even if that wide shot still looks like 2 people, no way we wouldn't have seen a guy going off a cliff from that angle, and I thought he was knocked off earlier in the clip.
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: