Mar 26, 2017 10:16 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Book] Avatar The Last Airbender: Legacy  (Read 14928 times)
zukataang
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #25 on: Jul 30, 2014 10:25 am »

Oh yay, I'm so looking forwards to this. Cards, posters, maps, so many things to immerse you into that other world - this sounds like an escapist avatard's dream. Smiley Hopefully they pushed the release date so that they would have enough time to make something amazing out of it. Would be nice if we could have both high quality and a quick release though. ><

Avatar: The Last Airbender: Legacy is the collection that Aang passes down to his son Tenzin

God, if only they'd stop clutching to that "Aang only had one kid. Oh wait" story line. It's so ridiculous! At least, if it was some book specifically about airbending/Air Nomad culture meant to prepare Tenzin to being the only airbending teacher left, I'd kinda get where they're coming from, but this is about his whole life, all his adventures. Why, oh why would he act like this doesn't concern his other kids?

I hope he did direct his writings at his three kids, but the people who wrote the Amazon description just felt like they didn't have to mention his siblings because they aren't mains in LOK. If it turns out that the resume at the back of the finished product is an introduction written by Aang himself that goes something like "Hi Tenzin, here's my life story, son" I think I'll suffer a brief but intense bout of insanity.
HikaruIzumi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #26 on: Jul 30, 2014 10:35 am »

God, if only they'd stop clutching to that "Aang only had one kid. Oh wait" story line. It's so ridiculous! At least, if it was some book specifically about airbending/Air Nomad culture meant to prepare Tenzin to being the only airbending teacher left, I'd kinda get where they're coming from, but this is about his whole life, all his adventures. Why, oh why would he act like this doesn't concern his other kids? 
That kind of fits the canonical portrayal of Aang's parenting.

zukataang
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #27 on: Jul 30, 2014 11:39 am »

^It does, yeah, but I was hoping that Bryke would make it turn out that the kataang kids's recalling of Aang's neglect was a little exaggerated maybe or that they'd have Katara reveal a side to the story that would redeem Aang in LOK, but apparently Bryke are staunchly standing by their initial decision to make Aang a mediocre parent despite part of the fanbase's OOCness complaints.

Basically, if this book is really only directed at Tenzin, it means that Aang probably really was an oblivious, neglectful dad who blatantly played favorites without being stopped by Katara, there's no escape to it. That's what I think kinda sucks.
HikaruIzumi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #28 on: Jul 30, 2014 12:40 pm »

^Maybe the introduction will say that Aang wrote it for all kids. Let's not forget that those making these summaries rarely know what they're talking about so maybe they were just told one name.

Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Do the thing!

« Reply #29 on: Aug 03, 2014 12:22 am »

Who knows? Maybe Aang actually wrote his memoirs in the hopes of explaining to his two other kids why Tenzin needed to be the golden child.

Sig by Guitarfreak.
Esperaholon
On Probation
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #30 on: Sep 19, 2014 03:25 am »

Or maybe Tenzin is the only one who regularly showed interest in this kind of thing? I mean Kya doesn't care about all those "boring" gurus. And Kya is real good at being abrasive. Bumi has issues, but Bumi also lacks... maturity? I mean when he's making jokes, at night, on the side of a mountain, while his brother is searching for his 7 year old child. Or when Bumi nearly kills himself falling off a cliff, because he wants to put a sweater on a spirit.

Gee I'm so sad for those two - because I'm sure being the Next to Last Airbender is all the fun in the world. Also it might have sucked for them to be forgotten, but being constantly compared to your father isn't much more fun. Isn't that right Smallville Lex Luther? Also living on an island that requires a ferry that literally has to pass under the shadow of your father's massive statue can't be too much fun either.

Add on to that how Tenzin didn't have children until after his dad was dead a good six years or so... Which made him effectively the Last Airbender for most of a decade. Then he has to mentor his Not!Dad who can be rather lacking in respect... Oh yeah and he was apparently stuck on the council for years. Years of dealing with those idiots Tarrlok was playing. I'm sure that was all kinds of awesome.

Basically I'm just saying that maybe Aang felt that he needed to give Tenzin something. Like how a parent might pull out their old photos to show their child that things were tough for them too, but it got better eventually. I mean Aang can very clearly remember being a twelve year old boy expected to save the world while being excluded from the Other Airbender Kid games.

Also by the time Tenzin showed up Aang had been the Last Airbender for well over 20 years I'm thinking. So he would well understand the massive suckitude of being the Last Airbender, and what his youngest child would potentially be looking to deal with.

Which is another thing I think people honestly skip over - Tenzin acts like the oldest, but he is really the youngest. He's the baby. The baby always gets more attention, the middle child tends to get less, and the oldest will either have gotten a lot of individual attention or not much at all. Poor Tenzin got the expectation burden of an oldest, while getting double-teamed like a middle child, and the guy happens to be the youngest. Like seriously.

Also do we have ages on these guys? Because that picture makes Bumi look 10-12, Kya is like 4-6, and Tenzin is a baby. That is a big enough gap that all this complaining makes me want to slap somebody. By the time Tenzin is 4 Bumi is 14-16 and Kya is 8-10. So maybe Kya gets to complain, but Bumi should just shut up. By the time Tenzin is 10 Bumi is 20-22 and Kya is 14-16. Like there isn't nearly enough overlap for there to be this much gnashing of teeth.

Okay rant over.
nightingale
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

This duality in me, ice and fire within.

« Reply #31 on: Dec 07, 2014 03:20 am »

So how is it that until now I know of this book?! It actually seems rather promising. Although not perfect, I like that the series continues its narrative through comics and now this book. I wonder if there will be a Kindle version. They did release the comics through Kindle, so I hope they do so with the book as well.

But four babies playing a game can make a playworld which licks your real world hollow... I'm on Aslan's side even if there isn't any Aslan to lead it. I'm going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn't any Narnia.

-Puddleglum, The Silver Chair
Misty23
Can't Create New Topics
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #32 on: Dec 07, 2014 11:10 am »

Does anyone know the release date for this book?
Runamuck
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #33 on: Dec 07, 2014 12:26 pm »

The avatar wiki claims it will be released on April 14th, but Amazon says June 23rd. Amazon is probably more reliable in this case.

http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Avatar:_The_Last_Airbender:_Legacy

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1608874478/ref=gno_cart_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I can't think of anything clever to say.

« Reply #34 on: Dec 07, 2014 01:38 pm »

The release date has been all over the place. First it was sometime this year. Then Amazon sent be an email saying it was delayed till February next year, then another email saying it was delayed till April and the last update they gave me, they said it is now releasing on the June date posted above.

Who knows why its been delayed so much...

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character." (As said by me)
nightingale
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

This duality in me, ice and fire within.

« Reply #35 on: Dec 07, 2014 06:05 pm »

The release date has been all over the place. First it was sometime this year. Then Amazon sent be an email saying it was delayed till February next year, then another email saying it was delayed till April and the last update they gave me, they said it is now releasing on the June date posted above.

Who knows why its been delayed so much...

It better be worth the delays. Does anynone know if it will have a Kindle version?

But four babies playing a game can make a playworld which licks your real world hollow... I'm on Aslan's side even if there isn't any Aslan to lead it. I'm going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn't any Narnia.

-Puddleglum, The Silver Chair
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I can't think of anything clever to say.

« Reply #36 on: Jan 23, 2015 12:05 am »

So now I got an email from Amazon saying this is not expected to be released until October 15th...I'm beginning to think this thing will never be released. Undecided

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character." (As said by me)
Fieryfurnace
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Just passin' through

« Reply #37 on: Jun 16, 2015 11:32 am »

The official cover for ATLA: Legacy has been revealed. It's cute, and nice to finally have an update on this thing. Hopefully, the release date won't get pushed back again.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #38 on: Jun 16, 2015 06:51 pm »

I like the art, and the classy overall design.

Nausicaa
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #39 on: Jun 17, 2015 10:01 am »

Looks good! The cover art's nice- hopefully any new art inside the book will be of a similar quality. Hopefully the writing will be good too.

I'm kind of surprised that Nick put Book 4 out so early when there's new merchandise coming out this year- I would have thought that they would have held on for a bit so that they'd be released closer together. (Then again, the delays meant there's a way bigger gap than there would have been)

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #40 on: Jun 17, 2015 06:35 pm »

I bet Nick forgot this thing is even coming out. To them, it's nothing but a form that was stamped and faxed back to... (looks up publisher...) Insight Editions.

Nausicaa
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #41 on: Jun 18, 2015 05:23 am »

Yeah, that's possible. We don't even know if any of the people who actually worked on the shows are involved either.

Red Hawk
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #42 on: Jun 19, 2015 02:43 pm »

So this thing looks like it will see the light of day, awesome!  Cover art looks good, a rather touching image of Aang and Tenzin together (we've never gotten to see Tenzin and Aang interact while Aang was alive, have we?).  I hope the writing's decent.
plushu
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

157% PIANDAOIST

« Reply #43 on: Jun 19, 2015 06:28 pm »

Yeah, that's possible. We don't even know if any of the people who actually worked on the shows are involved either.

This book was written by Michael Teitelbaum. He writes many children's books based off of movies, television, and even comics. But as far as I know, he has never been a show writer for either A:TLA or Korra.

Personally, I love the books he's written for A:TLA.  The Lost Scrolls series didn't have the best cover art, but it had a lot of solid world-building facts about every nation as well as some really nice artwork inside the book.  The Earth Kingdom Chronicles had great cover art (I like the style better than that of the comics') and some interesting 1st person POVs about Book 2 Earth. The dialog for TEKC is a bit on-the-nose, but that's what I would expect from a book series written for ages 4-7.

Legacy has a beautiful cover and I am really looking forward to getting it.
« Last Edit: Jun 19, 2015 07:10 pm by plushu » Logged

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #44 on: Jun 19, 2015 06:34 pm »

As for the writing, I'm not expecting a whole lot out of it, and not because of my usual pessimism. I'm expecting a focus on art and visuals, with little snippets and anecdotes to support the pictures and accessories. I'm figure the Lost Scrolls lore will be heavily referenced, because of the author, with the details most likely sprinkled into new snippets.

(Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if the Lost Scrolls were reprinted in part within.)

Still, the presentation is mostly going to be the draw, here, and I'm on board with that. I own the Book of the Sith Vault edition, after all. Cheesy

Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #45 on: Jun 19, 2015 08:25 pm »

I'm confused about the release date. The UK Amazon site which Fieryfurnace linked says 25th June but the US Amazon site says 27th Oct.

What gives?

Edit: OMG I can't believe I guess it right on what the final cover would be when I made this news post last year!

The current image displayed on Amazon is a placeholder and one can only imagine what the finalized cover would be like. Maybe an image of an adult Aang with a young Tenzin?

Gimme some internet brownies. =P

« Last Edit: Jun 19, 2015 08:30 pm by Icy_Ashford » Logged

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
KatrinaKadabra
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #46 on: Jun 21, 2015 06:28 am »

I'm so excited! I had no idea this book was coming out. (Guess I'm a little out of the loop, huh?) Still, it's a nice surprise. And hey, Smoke and Shadow will be out a few weeks before that. Smiley

Hmm... now I really want an official image of Zuko teaching little Izumi about Fire Nation history. ^_^;;

Chinoiserie
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #47 on: Jun 27, 2015 04:24 pm »

Hmm... now I really want an official image of Zuko teaching little Izumi about Fire Nation history. ^_^;;

If this book is a success maybe this will become a series.
Runamuck
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #48 on: Jul 25, 2015 02:52 am »

Since it has now been available for a while to international audiences I was wondering if anyone has actually bought this book yet.

I have been tempted myself, but the huge price of this thing and the fact that I barely know anything about the book has put me off so far.

I mean, in the web shop where I usually find these it costs more than twice as much as one of the comics, and almost as much as the art books (which admittedly are on sale, but still), which is one hell of a lot for 64 pages.

https://www.saxo.com/dk/avatar_michael-teitelbaum_hardback_9781608874477
https://www.saxo.com/dk/avatar_bryan-konietzko_hardback_9781595825049
https://www.saxo.com/dk/avatar-the-last-airbender-the-rift-3_gene-luen-yang_paperback_9781616552978

It would be nice to know a little more about this book, does anyone know where there is more information to be found about it?

Fieryfurnace
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Just passin' through

« Reply #49 on: Jul 25, 2015 12:44 pm »

Since it has now been available for a while to international audiences I was wondering if anyone has actually bought this book yet.

I have been tempted myself, but the huge price of this thing and the fact that I barely know anything about the book has put me off so far.

I mean, in the web shop where I usually find these it costs more than twice as much as one of the comics, and almost as much as the art books (which admittedly are on sale, but still), which is one hell of a lot for 64 pages.

https://www.saxo.com/dk/avatar_michael-teitelbaum_hardback_9781608874477
https://www.saxo.com/dk/avatar_bryan-konietzko_hardback_9781595825049
https://www.saxo.com/dk/avatar-the-last-airbender-the-rift-3_gene-luen-yang_paperback_9781616552978

It would be nice to know a little more about this book, does anyone know where there is more information to be found about it?

Hmm, has the book really been released yet though? That website you've listed is the only one i can find that indicates it has already been released, aside from Legacy's page on the UK Amazon which has the release date as the 25th of June, even though there are no hardcover listings, the paperback listings are actually listings for The Tale of Aang, and it's status is 'currently unavailable.' Given that no other website is supplying them, i'm willing to bet that, with all the holdbacks that Legacy's release date has had, saxo has forgotten to update their page like UK Amazon clearly has and that the book will actually be released on the 27th of October, especially since it is odd that the book would be released in certain European countries months before release in the US or UK. Of course, i'm just speculating as the situation is too sketchy for me to actually spend money. I might be wrong but that's what it seems like.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: